The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Sports (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Foot Power (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=7776)

LabRat 02-17-2005 11:30 AM

Foot Power

Anyone else here like to run? :rollhappy I do, and was hoping for some virtual training partners. Now that I am all grown up (snort) with a job and family, my life isn't on a regular schedule, so it's been hard to find a regular running partner. Not sure how this would work, but we could discuss that if anyone is interested. I usually try to pick one 5-8K race a month to enter in the spring-fall to keep me motivated and add to my T-shirt collection. My goal is just to keep lowering my PB, and maybe eventually place in my age group. Lately it's been hard to stay motivated b/c I don't have anyone to 'compete' with. Anyone? Anyone?

Kitsune 02-17-2005 11:46 AM

I'd love to join you, but running is something I could never get into because it is too high impact. Maybe you have some suggestions that might make the sport a little more tolerable to my feet and back? (shoe type, perhaps?)

LabRat 02-17-2005 02:10 PM

Shoes do make a huge difference, mainly running in shoes that are too old. I know it's time to get a new pair when my knees bug me. My suggestion, if you love the heart pumping and sweating of running, but not the pounding is to try an elliptical machine. Not a cheap $400 one, but gym quality such as Precor http://www.precor.com/hpr_efx.php, that changes incline in addition to tension. The cardio response is the same or even more intense than running, but because your feet never leave the little pads, there's no impact. If you have knee problems however, this probably will still bug you.

Griff 02-19-2005 07:40 AM

Pretty much what Kitsune said. My ankles are shot from running for wrestling/soccer as a kid so I'll have to stick to the bikes unless I want to spend more time on campus to use the gym... which I really don't. My brother gets the same buzz from running that I get from cycling so I see where you're coming from. good luck beating that blood pressure thing.

LabRat 02-21-2005 08:20 AM

I've heard that running in the deep end of the pool with a floatie belt is a great zero impact workout also, but I have never tried it. Maybe if you strengthened up your legs a bit on an elliptical or in the pool, and bought shoes from a specialty shop, you could still get out occasionally on a nice day without having to hobble for a week afterward. Sorry I'm not much help.

Turns out that I have been talking to a fellow RA here at work, and she is interested in getting out more, so were running together this afternoon after work. I'm going to do Marion's Freeze Fest 5K this Sat, never tried a Feb run before. It's on a trail that I usually run, so since I know the route, I am expecting it to be fun. Curious what my time will turn out to be. I'm shooting for under 29:00 minutes, not terribly fast. We'll see.

Kitsune 02-24-2005 02:33 PM

LabRat,

I'd found that one of the most difficult parts of bicycling was that I never knew how hard to push myself. This led to a lot of discouragement, because I found that I'd often get very winded and worn out quickly. To find out why, I picked up a fairly inexpensive Polar Heart Monitor . I found out that I was perfectly comfortable in my target heartrate range and the discomfort came from over doing it. The result was that I ended up making much better use of my time on the bike and tracking my progress was a lot easier than trying to manually take my pulse while on the move. Now I tend to get out on the bicycle a lot more often because I enjoy monitoring my improvements over the months. Something like that might help your running, or at least keep it interesting and allow you to set some goals.

I'm glad to hear you found a training partner, though! Good luck to you!

LabRat 02-26-2005 01:25 PM

I actually was thinking of picking one up, you can get just a HRM now for $30, no bells and whistles. For $50, you can get one that tracks time in and out of zone with alarms etc. to mark these points. Thanks for letting me know it will be $$ well spent if I decide to get one.
My run today, "Freeze Fest" went much better than expected. Tuesday afternoon I ran with Carrie, the other RA, but quite slow since she hasn't been running nearly as regularly as I have. She did great, much better that I would have if our positions were reversed. Anyway, we were planning on running Thurs again, but my daughter came down with a fever, so I had to pick her up from daycare. Didn't get to do my run on the treadmill that night, due to a very clingy 2yr old. Friday, was going to do a long walk on the treadmill during her nap, but decided to take a nap myself since I was up most of the night with her. I was a little worried, since thus far the farthest I have run is about 2.25m, but figured what the hell, just see how fast you can finish. It was a beautiful sunny CRISP morning today, the thermometer in my car said 28 F about 30m before the start. I had no idea what my splits were because there were no mile markers! Running 5Ks for over 5 years, and never had a run without mile markers...Overall it was as flat as a pancake, but it ended with the last 1/4 -1/3 mile being up a steady hill. Yikes. My lungs weren't really used to running in the cold yet, it's been in the upper 40s the few times I've gotten out so far. I was pretty exausted at the finish, and had to do a double take when I saw 28:20 28:21 28:22 clicking as I passed thru the finish chute. I'm gonna be sore tomorrow, but definately worth pushing myself. The 2 races I did last summer my finish times were 28:40's. To place in my age group I would have had to finish in 24 something. This goal shouldn't be out of my grasp if I can keep training, and do smalltown races :) My PB for a 5K is in the 23m range, in 2001.

Perry Winkle 03-05-2005 02:03 PM

I run in the spring, sumemr and fall. From the time the snow melts off until it's so cold I get frost bite in the time it takes me to run 5 miles(40-45 minutes). I've always had problems with my knees just because of my size(6 foot 8, 225-235 lbs). However, I enjoy running enough and the pain isn't enough to stop me.

During running season I go through a LOT of OTC anti-inflammatories. During the winter I used to just drop back to using a stationary bike which I always hate.

This winter I found the Precor machines at the local Y and they kick ass. I still have to do my weights at home b/c the Y doesn't have jack for free weights.

Sorry for the rambling first post, but I'm in a hurry but couldn't help responding :P

footfootfoot 03-05-2005 10:50 PM

I am powerful, yet you persist in talking about running.

LabRat 03-07-2005 09:11 AM

FFF, WTF???

Welcome grant!! There are shoes made for larger/heavier runners, they might help in your knee pain. I know New Balance (my personal fav brand) makes them, and I am sure that others do too. A specialty running shop staffed by people who actually run should be able to help. Getting a proper shoe made a world of difference to me, and I don't have any special concerns...

footfootfoot 03-07-2005 09:09 PM

LabRat
Foot Power
Foot foot Foot
3x foot power
oh never mind, I'm not drunk right now, so it isn't that funny

LabRat 03-08-2005 08:42 AM

For me, three feet would be a hindrance, I can barely control the 2 I've got now...

LabRat 06-28-2005 11:57 AM

Thought I'd see if any newbies are runners. I am in week two of a training plan for a 1/2 marathon in Sept.

Well??

LabRat 06-28-2005 12:02 PM

Shortly after posting the original post, I ended up with a new running partner at work, with whom I've done 2 of 3 races, and am doing the 1/2 with.

melidasaur 06-30-2005 01:34 PM

I am going to be doing a mini-triathalon in August... As far as tris go, it's pretty wimpy I suppose, but I've never done anything like it before. I love to cycle and swim, but I HATE to run... that's partly why I am doing it is to get to a point where running is just annoying rather than the most dreadful thing on the planet.
It's a 400m swim, 6 mile bike and 2 mile run. If I start to enjoy the running, I may give a half-marathon a go at the end of October.

I guess I better get to training for this thing.

LabRat 07-08-2005 01:20 PM

Sweet! These are called 'sprint' triathlons. I did the sprint version of the Pigman Tri, um, 5 years ago. (geeze, has it been that long ago?!) 500 meter swim, 15mile bike, 3.2m run. For me, the swimming was was took the most out of me, and was by far the hardest. I swear I was high when I finished, I felt so GOOD. I only had a mountain bike at the time, so I borrowed my husband's uncle's road bike, that was too big for me and used that. What was sore on me the few days after the tri was my neck/upperback, from that stupid bike :lol:

What's your training plan?

LabRat 08-30-2005 09:53 AM

SO melidisaur??? Did you do it? How'd it go??

Sunday I did my 10 miler, the 'long' run in my 1/2 marathon training plan, and it went well! I finished it in 1hr 43 min, and was able to walk relatively normally yesterday, and today I only feel my quads when going down stairs. I am really looking forward to this run. Donno if my friend is going to do it, she says she is, but every time I have invited her to run the long runs with me, something comes up...oh well. There is usually someone there taking pictures, so I'll have to post one if I am in any.

If any newbies run, post away!

melidasaur 08-30-2005 11:32 PM

Well, unfortunately, it didn't. Somehow - I injured my ankle, so that made the running difficult and then I didn't have a bike yet, so I just put it on hold for next year. Running still frightens me - I really don't like it... so i'm looking into some team events - I'll find someone who loves to run and loves to swim and I'll take care of the biking.

wolf 08-31-2005 12:58 AM

If it's the biking you want, why not train for the Liberty Classic?

57.6 miles, 4 times up the Manayunk Wall. It would give you a great excuse to hang out with some Dwellars after the race. If you live.

melidasaur 08-31-2005 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf
If it's the biking you want, why not train for the Liberty Classic?

57.6 miles, 4 times up the Manayunk Wall. It would give you a great excuse to hang out with some Dwellars after the race. If you live.

That definitely would give me a goal to work for... but it sounds quite scary. But, I'm up for hanging out anytime :).

LabRat 08-31-2005 09:10 AM

<-------------- :thumb:

Quote:

Originally Posted by melidasaur
...so i'm looking into some team events - I'll find someone who loves to run ....

LabRat 09-12-2005 01:46 PM

Well, I did it, and it was AWESOME!! I had a really great race, felt good pretty much the whole time despite it being unusually warm and humid. My quads are the only thing sore on me today, but that's my own fault cuz I didn't walk long enough after finishing...there was food to be eaten :) Here's the portion of results that included me:

FEMALE AGE GROUP: 25 - 29

Place Name Ag City St Finish Pace
===== ============================== == ================== == ======= =====
1 Donna Weeda 26 Cedar Falls IA 1:52:54 8:38
2 Katie Helgeson 26 Roland IA 1:54:55 8:47
3 Tess Taintor 29 Story City IA 1:54:56 8:47
4 Rachel Britten 28 Story City IA 1:54:56 8:47
5 Ryann Winings 25 Ft. Atkinson IA 1:57:38 8:59
6 Sherrie Mauren 29 Marion IA 1:58:42 9:04
7 Julie Eddy 27 Parkersburg IA 1:59:29 9:08
8 Carrie Dieken 29 Cedar Falls IA 2:03:25 9:26
9 Jessica Wass 25 Denver IA 2:07:40 9:45
10 Libby O'neil 25 Cedar Falls IA 2:08:56 9:51
11 Brenda Rix 28 Decorah IA 2:09:18 9:53
12 Leah Fuller 29 Marion IA 2:09:26 9:53
13 Jaime Flanscha 25 Cedar Falls IA 2:10:23 9:58
14 Brytnie Kerr 25 Waterloo IA 2:11:14 10:02
15 Kelli Mehmert 28 Cresco IA 2:34:29 11:48

My goal time was 2h 10min, so I am totally happy with 12th place in my age group. Go me!

wolf 09-12-2005 01:55 PM

Given that I can't do anything for 2 hr 10 min that doesn't involve a remote control and a very comfortable chair, I am extremely impressed by your accomplishment. Go you, indeed!

Clodfobble 09-12-2005 07:55 PM

Congratulations! I can't run for more than about 30 feet without hyperventilating (something about the way I breathe when I run, because I can do other aerobic-y things for hours) so I have great respect for your accomplishment.

LabRat 09-14-2005 09:01 AM

Thanks guys. 7 years ago, when I decided to try my first 5K (3.2m) I barely could make it around the block. Literally. My first run was around the block, and at the end I thought my heart was going to explode out of my chest, my head was pounding, and I almost threw up. It took me 7 minutes. I couldn't beleive I had gotten THAT out of shape, and I was only 21 or 22. After finishing my first race, I was addicted. I am pretty sure it was the free food at the end tho, and not the running itself :).

I counted all my race tshirts, and this last one was my 15th. !!

LabRat 09-19-2005 10:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures I stole from Myraceday.com:

Waiting at the start line, about 3 min before the gun. I am the short stubby chick with her arms crossed on the right. Don't exactly LOOK like a rummer, do I :headshake My friend that I did this with is in the red shirt next to me.

LabRat 09-19-2005 10:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here I am crossing the finish line. You can see my chafe proof tights under my shorts here. Gotta love the chafe proof tights. Especially as humid as it was that morning. I look like a runner here :)

The guy directly behind me was running with a backpack on full of weight. I'm guessing 25lbs at least, by the way it was bouncing on him. I only passed him just before the finish. I may be crazy, but Idon't run carrying all my lost marbles...

Griff 09-19-2005 04:01 PM

Hooorayyy!!!!!

LabRat 02-23-2006 11:04 AM

Any newbies runners?

I've seen a lot of new members posting lately, so I thought I'd bring this thread to the top of the pile once again and fish for anyone who likes to run. My training for the 'season' has started again, and unfortunately due to work schedule, my running partner (that I trained with for the half last year) and I won't be able to do our afternoon runs together. I'm more bummed than I thought I'd be, and frankly it's hard to get motivated this time. Plus, the hubby and I have been kicking around the idea of trying for #2 this spring, so I'm likely not going to be running any 'big' event this fall.

[Ben\] Anyone? Anyone? [/Stein]

stephwho 04-17-2007 08:43 AM

You mentioned a min-triathalon in August--do you have any details on this? Who is sponsoring the event? Where to get more info? Many thanks!!

lumberjim 04-17-2007 09:34 AM

I'd just like to share my canned response to the question, "do you like to run?'

I only run if I'm being chased.

LabRat 04-17-2007 12:30 PM

WELCOME Steph!!

I use this website to get the lowdown on any local Iowa races. Depending on where you are from, the best place to get info would likely be your local running store. Good luck.

If you are local to me, PM me and we can chat.

hideouse 04-19-2007 07:33 AM

Newbie here,

Labrat and all others,
I decided last year about this time to start running again so as to try to get my skyrocketing blood pressure under control. Haven't done all that well but am still signed up for the indy500 festival half marathon in May. I was running fairly regularly most of the past year, but in March got the flu and haven't been right since.
Last Saturday was the last of the "trainng runs" organized by the indy500 fest to allow people to work up to the full 20k. Saturdays run was 15k, the farthest i've ever tried to run. I did it in 1:44, an average pace of just under 11 min/mile.
I credit two sources for my ability to finish the 15k: Nicholas Romanov's Posetech website and his free information on Pose running, and Scott Sonnon's idea of changing gears rather than hittin a wall.
All in all I am content with my progress, although certainly I could have done better.

LabRat 04-19-2007 08:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
From what I just read, the POSE method is just a fancy term for good form. :D

Basically, by not wasting energy doing things like exessively swinging your arms left to right, instead of front to back etc. you save your energy for forward propulsion. Just like in any sport, better form = better overall performance and less injuries.

LabRat 04-19-2007 08:42 AM

From what I can gather on google, Scott Sonnon is a martial arts expert. From wikipedia (but supported by googled sites):

Former Penn State University adjunct Professor of Physical Education, Scott Sonnon is one of only a few Americans to be awarded the Distinguished Master of Sports in Sambo, the Russian national martial art and wrestling style.

He was the first American to teach Russian martial art in Russia. Coach Sonnon developed a program which he named FlowFighting at his gym in Bellingham, Washington, USA. The focus of the style is to enter what sport psychologists call flow-state through perpetual motion drills, as opposed to technique rehearsal of traditional martial arts. The style requires competition in ten different sports, from fencing to grappling to boxing, and mixed martial arts / no holds barred competition.

In 2005, he came out of retirement to test his theories with his teammate, Joseph Wilson, at the Open International San Shou Championship in Mobile, Alabama. He won the gold medal in his weight class. He holds a world record in club swinging: (1,433 repetitions of 25lbs mills in under an hour - 1/6/07), and the highest score in International Clubbell Sport.

Coach Sonnon's background in martial arts lead him to bring combat style conditioning to the fitness world. He has authored several books and many videos on his method called Circular Strength Training, and his equipment called the Clubbell, which he developed based upon ancient Indian Kushti and Iranian Pahlavani wrestling called Indian Clubs or Iranian Clubs. He also founded his own style of yoga which combines Cossack dancing, gymnastics, break-dancing called Prasara yoga. His system focuses on a "health first" approach to fitness of what he calls Tabula Rasa or "Cleaning the Slate" by isolating joint ranges of motion to lubricate and transport nutrition to connective tissue which damages during any athletic endeavor, like in martial art. He also runs his own center, The RMAX Gymnasium, Ltd. in Bellingham, Washington.

LabRat 04-19-2007 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hideouse (Post 335164)
All in all I am content with my progress...

And THAT my friend, is what matters most. Way to go!!!

BTW, have you had your blood pressure checked? Just curious as to what improvement has been made.

Griff 04-22-2007 08:57 PM

Little Pete joined the track team and ran the 800 and 1500 in her first meet last week. She looked much more comfortable in the 1500 and ran a nice race finishing second despite having no idea what she was doing. She is much more into the fencing thing but really likes the team aspect of track. (She got a second in fencing today btw. :) )

stephwho 04-23-2007 11:44 AM

Thanks for the nice welcome! I really appreciate your feedback on the racing website--unfortunately I am not from Iowa, but rather from Champaign, IL. We have a great local running store called Body & Soul that would probably be a WONDERFUL place to start seeking racing opportunities. Thanks for the suggestion. I just completed my first 5K ever a few weekends ago and I can't wait to do it--and more--again! I think I am going to give a mini-triathalon a try if there's one available in Champaign or nearby. Thanks, again! :-)

hideouse 04-28-2007 11:23 AM

good form in running

Quote:

Originally Posted by LabRat (Post 335178)
From what I just read, the POSE method is just a fancy term for good form. :D

Labrat, you are correct. Bad form is rife in running sports and apparent even in Olypmic level racing: people like to heel-and-toe thus heel striking and braking during their stride. I did it most of my life and still strike my left heel a bit albeit less than I used to. switching to thin flat lightweight shoes (chuck taylor all stars in my case) has allowed me to feel my mistakes sooner so I can work on correcting them. The indy500 mini marathon is May fifth. I'll do it in my converse sneakers. I'll report back.
Regarding Scott Sonnon, he has put forth the notion that the archetypical "wall" that athletes encounter is mostly mental and may be dealt with by considering it more of a shifting of gears, as a car's automatic transmission shifts when it feels an changing load. He goes into what he calls "the neuro-endocrine response" as the way the body adapts to stresses during the hitting of the wall.
I think i've done a poor job of describing it. I'll try to dig up a quote.

hideouse 04-29-2007 10:24 AM

Scott Sonnon on "the wall"

From Scott Sonnon:

When you push the threshold of your activity, you expend more oxygen in your muscles than you have taken in, popularly called Oxygen Debt. To repay this debt, your body implores you to heave heavily to replenish your system with oxygen. If you continue to push by and through this debt, you cause a sub-cortical adaptation which adjusts your circulo-respiratory process. This shift enables you to continue strenuous or prolonged physical activity with renewed vigor and greater comfort - often referred to as 2nd Wind. You may transition with dramatic suddenness or subtly unnoticed until somewhere in the activity you realize you’re no longer in distress and actually enjoy the groove you’ve found.

This phenomenon is called Circulo-Respiratory Distress (CRD), something scientists still cannot explain though some neurologists surmise that the cerebrum adapts to the physical distress of exercise by facilitating more efficient neuromuscular coordination. Basically, your wind gets better because your body grooves the activity to use less effort for the same motion.

I prefer the term gear over “wind,” because I believe that you can encounter multiple (increasingly more efficient) levels of distress in one activity. You can encounter layer after layer of resistance in an activity, like gears on your vehicle's transmission: as you wind out the RPMs the engine strains until the shift occurs and engages a new level of performance effiency. The most gears I've ever detected were four in a 42 mile run - my longest and most grueling.

Why do you push into this level of discomfort? Why do you do such a thing? Your life is not threatened. And not threatened, your body creates all manners of phantom pains, nausea, emotions and thoughts imploring you to STOP!

In sport psychology, it’s called your threshold – your Mental Toughness. If you push through distress, you create a neurological adaptation and you become one increment tougher. By pushing the envelop you allow your body to overcome the resistance by adapting to it.

Griff 04-29-2007 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hideouse (Post 338948)
... Basically, your wind gets better because your body grooves the activity to use less effort for the same motion...

Neat way to think about that.

hideouse 05-05-2007 12:01 PM

indy500 half marathon

Update:
I finished alive but achy. around mile eleven i started cramping in my right calf, i was able to deal with it by conciously relaxing. at mile twelve the pain in my right metatarsals got bad enough that i couldn't ignore them and i had to take a ten minute walking break. I was able to resume my shuffling pace and finished at just under three hours. My wind was fine. My legs were not fine. I need more training for leg endurance. So I can do better next year!

LabRat 05-24-2007 09:03 AM

Sorry, totally have missed this thread for awhile...

WAY TO GO hideouse! I would love to chat sometime in gabbly about your experience!

LabRat 05-24-2007 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 336613)
Little Pete joined the track team...

So, how's she doing? Tell her a friend of yours says nice job!!:D

theotherguy 05-24-2007 11:36 AM

Thanks for pointing this one out to me LR. So last night I put in 2.2 miles. Not too bad, but I was sucking way too much wind. It has been several months since I have been out and I can really feel it. I may have to hit the elliptical to get back up some mojo before I go out again.

I tend to exercise more when I am stressed and right now I am really stressed.

BTW, I didn't read all of the preceding pages to this so I don't know if the topic is anything more than general running.

I need to stretch.

theotherguy 05-24-2007 11:44 AM

just a reply so i could get email notification.

LabRat 05-24-2007 12:45 PM

I forgot to mention the trail running thread, too. Good pics there :D

skysidhe 05-24-2007 12:48 PM

I'm too lazy to run. I'd rather bicycle. I'll watch your progress though!

theotherguy 05-24-2007 01:25 PM

I never got into trail running. I am afraid of twisted ankles. Maybe I am just a wimp.

LabRat 05-24-2007 03:24 PM

I won't call you a wimp, but I wont call you tough guy either :D.

Actually, my friend in those photos DID twist her ankle at about mile 6.5. After several months, a goofy looking boot, and industrial strength anti-imflammatories, she's just about ready to get back into running.

What's life without a little risk, Sally?

theotherguy 05-24-2007 03:37 PM

I don't know that ANYONE has ever called me a tough guy. I am perfectly willing to admit that I am not in the "no pain, no gain" camp. I like "no pain, no pain."

Ouch, you called me Sally. I prefer Monique. Sounds like more of an exotic badass bitch to me. :D

glatt 05-24-2007 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LabRat (Post 346479)
What's life without a little risk, Sally?

:lol:

LabRat 05-24-2007 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenewguy (Post 346483)
... I prefer Monique...

Good to know. When you've been around the Cellar block a couple more times, and aren't thenewguy anymore, we'll change your usertitle. --UT, make a note.

j/k

theotherguy 05-24-2007 04:19 PM

Damn. Foiled by my own smart-assedness.

hideouse 05-28-2007 03:08 PM

?

Quote:

Originally Posted by LabRat (Post 346379)
Sorry, totally have missed this thread for awhile...

WAY TO GO hideouse! I would love to chat sometime in gabbly about your experience!

Labrat, I am capable of being a complete bore on the subject of my practice. What's "gabbly"?

DucksNuts 05-28-2007 08:46 PM

Gabbly chat...down the bottom right corner of the page.

Its just our own little chat :)

LabRat 06-05-2007 10:40 AM

OK, so far this year I haven't done any races because they haven't worked out schedule wise or weatherwise. But I finally have found one I haven't done before that I can do. The 22nd Annual Alliant Energy Fifth Season Race is the 4th of July. There is a 5K and 8K. I'm going to do the 8K, (5 miles) since I am currently running 2.5-3 miles 2-3 times a week. We've got a guest room if anyone is interested in doing this with me :D. My daughter is going to do the 200 yard kid's run. She is totally excited. She'll get a T-shirt, just like mom for hers too!

hideouse 06-05-2007 12:33 PM

gabbling grook,,,nvm

Labrat and anyone else, i'd be happy to discuss my run in gabbly sometime. When's good for you?

LabRat 06-05-2007 12:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
hideouse, I'm getting a new computer, so I'll be able to chat more in the evenings, but not for a week or so. That would probably be best. I'll shoot you a PM when I know more. Then we can invite the rest of the cellar, if they're lucky ;).

USATF is a SWEET site that you can use for planning or checking your route distances. It gives you elevation too, if you have the patience for it to update.

Here is one of my 'flat' 4 mile routes through my neighborhood. My house is one of them along there :D. Note Iowa is not as flat as one might think, HLJ. :)

If you look a bit to the right, you can see a creek running through a series of parks. That's where a nice cinder trail is, although it has some rather scary looking wires criss crossing over it... zzzttt..

Griff 06-05-2007 02:05 PM

neat tool

My road loop 22.35miles, 2771ft total climb, and 6024ft of elevation change. ouchy