The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Dwellar real world interaction (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=17782)

lookout123 07-25-2008 06:34 PM

Dwellar real world interaction

I just had a conversation with someone and found myself thinking about this. How many dwellars do you/could you interact with outside of the cellar?

Sundae 07-25-2008 06:45 PM

... but then I asked for them, so it's cheating.

I've spoken to some Dwellars as a one-off. And some I am in more regular contact with.

I'm not great at keeping in touch, so here in the Cellar is by far the best place for me to keep up with people. It's just nice to make a call, get a card or send a letter occasionally.

Undertoad 07-25-2008 08:16 PM

I'm a dedicated anti-social, but I believe I would like to have a beer with any and all of you, except radar.

lumberjim 07-25-2008 09:20 PM

i've misvoted. should have been 8+

I'm not a regular phone caller though. i never go over my minutes. ever.

skysidhe 07-25-2008 09:31 PM

I am not a good phone person because I usually do the listening but as far as meeting people I say 99%.
Although I have only ever met one online person and he was exactly how he presented himself gives me some confidence however only Bri,SG,U.T and Dana C are the only ones who give me a good sense of who they really are I think they would be just as they present themselves too. Somepeople are just good at letting their light shine through but think most everyone would be just as nice to meet in real life.

( no the 1% isn't anyone who is on here regularly )

Flint 07-25-2008 10:15 PM

There's a few of you I'd like to contact with a knuckle sandwich; a few of you I'd like to contact with my bell-end; and the rest of you will be automagically replied by my OoO assistant. . . . Just kidding, of course. Let's get shitfaced and embarass ourselves.

zippyt 07-25-2008 10:51 PM

I have met 2 , was suposed to meet 2 more , and will Meet 2 others soon
, I would have a Beer with most All of the celler

NoBoxes 07-26-2008 04:45 AM

I don't even have my own phone number: it's classified "BOTTOM SECRET."

However, if you can find Tonchi, you can indirectly find me.

Aliantha 07-26-2008 04:56 AM

I'd meet anyone at least once. I'm sure that as in all other relationships, there's some I'd hit it off with more than others.

There really isn't anyone I'd refuse to meet.

sweetwater 07-26-2008 08:34 AM

For all I know, I may be interacting with Cellar Dwellers all the time but we don't recognize each other. So hai! :D A subset of contacts from another community met at a neutral location (rented beach house) and it was almost all good. I would expect the same experience from the Cellar, although I was lurking for a while so I probably know you better than you know me.

Cicero 07-26-2008 08:42 AM

I was glad to meet Cloud in person. She's a cool chick. From what I could tell...Some people I know for a fact that I would not get along with but would try anyway. (for a beer or two, and a beer or 6 if it was too painful) And a couple of you would probably get what you have been asking for. Well, one of you.

xoxoxoBruce 07-26-2008 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetwater (Post 471577)
.... although I was lurking for a while so I probably know you better than you know me.

Looking at your dossier, with all the history and pictures, I'm not so sure.;)

btw, I love that mole.

DanaC 07-26-2008 10:12 AM

@ sky: can't speak for the rest of that little list, but I can say Sundae is pretty much how you'd expect her to be. Funny, charming, easy company with occasional glimpses of a razor-sharp mind.

Sundae 07-26-2008 11:14 AM

And just to complete the mutual appreciation set - depending on what posts you read, Dana is more chilled out than you might expect. I agree with 95% of her politics, so it was never going to be an area of confllict, but her strongly held beliefs probably come up far more on here than they ever would on a normal night out.

For the record, I'm pretty sure most Dwellars are exactly as they present themselves. As Cic says, I reckon I'd get along with most of them at least for the duration of a drink. I think I could at least manage dinner with you Sky :)

DanaC 07-26-2008 12:12 PM

I honestly cannot think of a single dwellar that I wouldn't be interested in meeting at least once.

As an old friend used to say: try anything once; twice if you like it.

(for the record, Tom was like a much shorter and much camper looking version of Sheldon)

monster 07-26-2008 12:21 PM

I live with one.....

and plan to meet a couple more in the next few weeks :)

Cicero 07-26-2008 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 471616)
As Cic says, I reckon I'd get along with most of them at least for the duration of a drink. I think I could at least manage dinner with you Sky :)

Aaaah reckin ma'm. Yeeehah!!!Especially Dana and Sundae, cuz' they are hotter than Georgia asph-ault in the summer-tam.
;)

BrianR 07-26-2008 01:27 PM

Cicero, you're lucky. Cloud has consistently not met me, even though I live quite close to her. (base of the star)

skysidhe 07-26-2008 01:48 PM

Of course! Isn't dinner the common denominaor for everyone?

I am sure SG would have me laughing and busting a gut. Well, that's my version.

I think xob would be funny too if he wanted to be. I think lj is probably a nicer guy AND funny but I don't know if it's sarcastic funny or slap stick funny.

Having Venus in Sagitarius and if I feel 'on' enough to not want to hide from the world and being an ex retail employee I have to remember not to say hi to people while in stores. They end up thinking I work there. It is just a habit to be friendly. Sometimes I have to consciously not make eye contact because along with attracting alot of attention I am a freak magnet too. Mostly I feel the latter although I put on the former.

lookout123 07-26-2008 01:55 PM

I'm pretty much the same IRL as I am in the cellar. I tend to be a bit more confrontational here because we're always exchanging ideas but otherwise pretty much the same. I've been told I have a "FUCK OFF" that flashes on my forhead but I'm fairly friendly to everyone I meet.

lumberjim 07-26-2008 03:29 PM

i've always thought I was kind of quiet and laid back.

TheMercenary 07-26-2008 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cicero (Post 471580)
I was glad to meet Cloud in person. She's a cool chick. From what I could tell...Some people I know for a fact that I would not get along with but would try anyway. (for a beer or two, and a beer or 6 if it was too painful) And a couple of you would probably get what you have been asking for. Well, one of you.

Damm. I didn't think you were that pissed at me. I would still buy you a beer. :D

TheMercenary 07-26-2008 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lookout123 (Post 471640)
I'm pretty much the same IRL as I am in the cellar. I tend to be a bit more confrontational here because we're always exchanging ideas but otherwise pretty much the same. I've been told I have a "FUCK OFF" that flashes on my forhead but I'm fairly friendly to everyone I meet.

I would like to believe that about myself. But I am more likely than not nicer in person than I am on here unless confronted. Then I can be a total dick, certainly not my norm. All of my military eval's said "candid" or "not afraid to speak his mind", not always a good thing in all situations but over the years it has served me well.

Cicero 07-27-2008 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 471658)
Damm. I didn't think you were that pissed at me. I would still buy you a beer. :D

On that note. Clouder and I went to the place I get the wings. They ordered some and saved me a couple.
;)
I'm not sure they knew the relevance, but who cares, I'll take the spare wings if they are floating around.

Yeees, we had wings...

Elspode 07-27-2008 03:38 PM

I have met two Dwellars in person...LabRat and Barefoot Serpent. I was supposed to have met three others - Zippyt, BrianR and Sycamore, but my life is complex and I just kind of suck in general.

I can't think of a single Cellarite I wouldn't enjoy meeting. I have spoken on the phone with four.

elSicomoro 07-27-2008 09:32 PM

I only have a couple of phone numbers, but, lessee...

--I've hung out with UT several times.
--LJ, Jinx and I have hung out a few times.
--I've hung out with Bruce, SteveDallas and Rich Levy a few times.
--I have hung out with Slang a couple of times.
--BrianR and I have hung out at Forks.
--Dagney and I hung out once at Forks.
--I recently met classicman and bluecuracao when I was in Philly.
--Zip and his wife came to my wedding.
--Ep and I seem to miss each other due to weird circumstances.
--I meant to see BigV when I was in Seattle, but I fucked that up.
--I met Nothing But Net once, when he came to the Philadelphia area on business...that was a fun time.

Each of my actual interactions with Dwellars has been nothing less than great.

If I forgot anyone, my bad! Seriously.

There really isn't anyone I wouldn't mind meeting here. I'm pretty much the same here as I am IRL, except my language and grammar are probably better here thanks to proofreading. :)

monster 07-27-2008 11:01 PM

see the places forum for people who want to meet us.... :lol:

DanaC 07-28-2008 05:23 AM

Sycamore = the Cellar nexus:P

Sundae 07-28-2008 05:55 AM

Cellar whore I say.

Yes, I'm jealous.

elSicomoro 07-28-2008 10:00 AM

Ah, no need to be jealous. :)

Keep in mind that the board is based in Philadelphia, where everyone (except the last 4 I mentioned) live (or lived). And that Wolf is responsible for most of us meeting under one roof--or forest--via Plastic Forks. Without Forks, it's unlikely that so many of us would have come together at one time.

I would have liked to hang out more with the Philadelphia folks. But for starters, we were spread out across the entire region. I was the only one that lived in the City of Philadelphia. And some of the folks are notoriously anti-social. Plus, all of us actually have life issues and what not...so gatherings were few and far between.

Someday though, after I make my first few million, I'll fly everyone to Philadelphia for a Dwellar Convention. Start thinking of things we can do at such a gathering. :)

limey 07-28-2008 04:58 PM

For £15/night plus food I'll arrange a UK Cellar Dwellar Get-Togethar right here on the picturesque ol' Isle of Arran.
Dana?
Sundae?
Cyclefrance?
Roosta?
Be-bop?
Czinzummerzet?
Anyone else?
Youse USA (and others) welcome, too!
C'mon ...

DanaC 07-28-2008 05:39 PM

That's an awesome idea!

Sundae 07-28-2008 05:40 PM

I'd love to. It's the travel costs that'd be a killer though.

Undertoad 07-28-2008 05:55 PM

How many pounds in petrol d'ya reckon it'd be, from London to limey's Isle? Not including the ferryboat to it.

(I have not been on a ferry for quite a long time, but I am assured that you must not PAY the ferryman, until he gets you to the other side. Apparently you are not even to fix a price, which seems strange to me.)

Elspode 07-28-2008 07:52 PM

For the first Cellar Convention activity, I'm going to need a private room, a gallon of corn oil, and Sundae Girl's undivided attention.

Sundae 07-29-2008 05:05 AM

It's approx 475 miles (estimated at 9 hours travel time)
Not having a car I've had to go on various websites re things like miles per gallon etc anf they may be out of date re petrol prices, but it looks like £100 each way.

It would certainly be do-able with a car - I've holidayed in Scotland before. But as an overnight trip it's a little pricey ;)

ETA - just checked the trains
£106.00 return and only 7 hours journey time!

Hey Limey, any chance of a lift from the ferry?

Sundae 07-29-2008 05:38 AM

Because I have little else to do today (lie) I've actually looked into this.
I can get a Virgin train from London to Glasgow for £18.50 (£18.50!!!!) and then a train to Ardrossan Harbour for £5.80. Not sure how much the ferry costs, but the travel cost at present is a lot less than say London to Halifax.

The Virgin train only takes 4 hours 15 mins to get me there.
The journey home is the same price (this might sound obvious, but it isn't always the case).

All of a sudden it becomes viable.
Hey Dani, fancy a trip to Arran?!

Shawnee123 07-29-2008 07:33 AM

All this talk of virgins and ferrys...is this a sex thread?

Sundae 07-29-2008 08:03 AM

What's sexual about a ferry?

LabRat 07-29-2008 08:25 AM

if I had a plane ticket, i'd show you. . .

On topic, like real life, I have found myself with more in common than others. I have spoken with 5 dwellars on the phone, though none regularly. Met one, as previously mentioned. That was a fun afternoon!! I would love to meet most, feel like I could really be friends with some if they were local, neutral on a few, and really only one or two that I think would be mutual dislike in person.

I am less confident IRL, but think I am pretty much the same as I am here. At least, I try to portray "me" honestly here.

monster 07-29-2008 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 472131)
What's sexual about a ferry?

Are we talking Brian Ferry here?

Shawnee123 07-29-2008 08:47 AM

Ahem...I'm sorry, wrong homo-nym.

Shel, help me out? :D

Sundae 07-29-2008 08:52 AM

Aaaaaaaaaaaah. It's another US/ Brit thing.
Ferry sounds nothing like fairy in my accent :)

Shawnee123 07-29-2008 08:54 AM

Ah yes...the difference is much more subtle here, though there is the slightest bit of difference that untrained ears don't hear or sloppy speakers don't enunciate.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

monster 07-29-2008 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 472152)
Aaaaaaaaaaaah. It's another US/ Brit thing.
Ferry sounds nothing like fairy in my accent :)

Bloody hell, totally missed that and I live here. Someone ought to train these rebellious whippersnappers to speak proper.

BrianR 07-29-2008 10:30 AM

*threadjack*

Any of you who have missed me in the past (in the Phila metro area) can make up for it the last week of August. See you there!

BrianR 07-30-2008 11:58 AM

Boy! THAT shut people up in a hurry!

Shawnee123 07-30-2008 12:02 PM

You can clear a room faster than I can, even. :lol:

binky 07-30-2008 12:29 PM

Sadly the only Cellar dweller that lives anywhere near me is Radar.......

classicman 07-30-2008 01:08 PM

That is sad binky :(

HungLikeJesus 07-30-2008 01:15 PM

You guys shouldn't be hatin' on Radar.

classicman 07-30-2008 01:28 PM

Who? Me??? Are you serious? I love the guy - he makes me look sane! No hate here - just fundamental disagreement on some stuff.

limey 07-30-2008 04:40 PM

SG there are some great deals to be had on Ryanair or Easyjet from London(-ish) to Glasgow or Prestwick (as I think you've discovered). I used to ride the National Express coach up for a weekend here, too, Yes a lift from the ferry is available. You're welcome on your own-ioh, or with Dana to suss the place out ... I'd only book the bunkhouse (@£15/head/night) for larger GTGs.

wolf 07-31-2008 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sycamore (Post 471815)

If I forgot anyone, my bad! Seriously.

Very much your bad ... :sniff:

I do in person better as well ...

Lessee ... UT, Slang, plthijinx(phone only), LJ, Jinx, sycamore, BrianR, xoxoxoBruce, richlevy, and a bunch more folks from the "old days" adamzion, editor, jively, cerberus, maestro (probably wasn't his screen name, but he came dressed to a gtg like an impressario), and a couple folks who mostly lurk (astro and legallady).

elSicomoro 08-01-2008 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf (Post 472701)
Very much your bad ... :sniff:

FUCK!!! And I thought I had you up towards the top, dear. I'm very sorry. Let me fix this.

Wolf and I have hung out on several occasions. Actually, Wolf is probably my bestest Cellar friend. We'd hang out more if we didn't live 900 miles apart.

Dude111 10-11-2020 01:13 AM

I dont have anyones numba on here....... On another site where Im a co-admin,I have the admins number.......