The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Do you own a goat? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=13987)

Cloud 04-25-2007 10:13 PM

Do you own a goat?

Really, ungulates are all the rage these days.

The Mama Llama

:ivy:

zippyt 04-25-2007 10:16 PM

talk to Griff , he be the Goat Man !!

SadistSecret 04-25-2007 11:49 PM

I have no goats, but I know a man who has goatse on his computer.

Hoof Hearted 04-26-2007 12:04 AM

When I was in High School my step-dad bought three goats, a ram and two pregnant does.

The morning the 1st doe kidded twins (buck and a doe), the ram died. The 2nd doe kidded twin does. WELL. That little buck bred the other doe, her daughters, his sister and his mother! There was NO way I could keep them contained and seperated, they climbed all over the hay stack, roamed all over the fields and the last straw was when they climbed Papa's truck and left little goat evidence (poops) on the hood.
We sold the goats and I have never wanted another one.

lumberjim 04-26-2007 01:24 AM

i have goats in my pants

NoBoxes 04-26-2007 04:05 AM

Well, don't let them get thirsty; because,

http://www.southernwines.com/images/...2005-white.jpg

fargon 04-26-2007 06:44 AM

I just smell like a goat, but I like to eat goat.

Griff 04-26-2007 07:13 AM

We've got a pair of nannys and if the billy did his job trouble is on the way.

rkzenrage 04-26-2007 07:28 AM

I helped raise minis on our ranch, glad I did, cute, fun, affectionate, would not own one.

Cloud 04-26-2007 09:02 AM

miniature goats?

gah!

Griff 04-26-2007 09:11 AM

Mine are "real" full sizegoats boer sanaan nubian mutts. They are much bigger now but Pete has gotten lazy on the homepage. The minis are cute but really, how many people can you invite to that bbq?;)

Cloud 04-26-2007 09:11 AM

mmmmmm . . .

cabrito!

Spexxvet 04-26-2007 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 337653)
We've got a pair of nannys and if the billy did his job trouble is on the way.

Why, would somebody be jealous, Griff?:rolleyes: :p

Griff 04-26-2007 09:23 AM

Quiet you! ;)

Cooking your own cabrito can be real simple--if you want to dig a hole in your backyard, as purists insist. All you need is a three-foot-deep pit with a mesquite or oak fire raging in it. Wrap a skinned cabrito in a gunnysack bound with wire and set the meat in the pit. Cover it with dirt to seal in the heat and let it cook all day. The cabrito will be smoke-seasoned and tender by nightfall. Apartment-dwellers might want to opt for the kitchen method of cooking cabrito: place half a cabrito in a roasting pan with salt, pepper, and two or three onions and baste with hot lard or shortening. Cook for an hour and 45 minutes in a 375-degree oven, turning every twenty minutes or so. Sure beats having to dig up the back yard.

I'm not sure how I'm gonna sneak this past the ladies but yum!

barefoot serpent 04-26-2007 09:28 AM

No, but I was once proselytized by The Capriculturists for Christ at a county fair.

xoxoxoBruce 04-26-2007 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 337683)

[i]Cooking your own cabrito can be real simple--if you want to dig a hole in your backyard, as purists insist.~snip~ Apartment-dwellers might want to opt for the kitchen method of cooking cabrito~snip

Compromise... backyard method in the bathtub.
byw, make sure it's not a plastic tub.

Cloud 04-26-2007 08:27 PM

I'm pretty sure the one time I had cabrito it was cooked in a pit. It was in Mexico at someone's party.

elSicomoro 04-26-2007 08:31 PM

I don't own a goat, but those alpacas seem to be calling me.

Kitsune 04-26-2007 09:36 PM

Yeah, fainting goats!

TheMercenary 04-26-2007 09:41 PM

Goat soup! Yum Good. Goat meat, not bad, a bit chewy, usually overcooked.

NoBoxes 04-27-2007 02:42 AM

I'm probably the only one here who has been issued a goat by the US government! That was my introduction to handling goats; however, I got to know them inside and out. I did a Google search [key words "Special Forces Goat Lab"] for open source information to share and found something useful in the third listing. While I know the excerpt I've quoted to be an accurate representation, I'm not otherwise familiar with the source website http://blog.wired.com/defense/2007/0...s_of_the_.html:

"With much ado paid to the role of special forces in the war in Afghanistan, here's a little-known fact about their preparation for combat: The medics assigned to Army special operations units are often surgically trained using live goats.

U.S. Special Operations Command last week announced it needs 500 goats delivered to Ft. Bragg, NC, most of them by the end of April.The command's John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School requested the goats, which it says are needed to aid medical and survival training for Army special forces soldiers.

"We have established protocols [that allow us to use animals] to teach our students surgical skills," said Army Maj. Richard Patterson, a spokesman for the center.Patterson was unable to say exactly how the goats are used, stipulating security reasons, but added that the center is certified and inspected by the Association for the Assessment and Accreditation for Laboratory Animal Care.

The military also has its own internal oversight committee to ensure the Army follows animal welfare laws."

Beestie 04-27-2007 04:42 AM

Holy goat cheese.

I just realized what this thread is about. Gawd, I'm slow.

Kinda funny - a clone thread about sheep and goats. A double entree, if you will.

:3eye:

xoxoxoBruce 04-27-2007 05:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I guess that makes you the .....

busterb 04-27-2007 08:32 PM

Wasn't there something in news about teaching troops to herd sheep?
Somewhere out west?

TheMercenary 04-27-2007 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoBoxes (Post 338048)
I'm probably the only one here who has been issued a goat by the US government! That was my introduction to handling goats; however, I got to know them inside and out. I did a Google search [key words "Special Forces Goat Lab"] for open source information to share and found something useful in the third listing. While I know the excerpt I've quoted to be an accurate representation, I'm not otherwise familiar with the source website http://blog.wired.com/defense/2007/0...s_of_the_.html:

"With much ado paid to the role of special forces in the war in Afghanistan, here's a little-known fact about their preparation for combat: The medics assigned to Army special operations units are often surgically trained using live goats.

U.S. Special Operations Command last week announced it needs 500 goats delivered to Ft. Bragg, NC, most of them by the end of April.The command's John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School requested the goats, which it says are needed to aid medical and survival training for Army special forces soldiers.

"We have established protocols [that allow us to use animals] to teach our students surgical skills," said Army Maj. Richard Patterson, a spokesman for the center.Patterson was unable to say exactly how the goats are used, stipulating security reasons, but added that the center is certified and inspected by the Association for the Assessment and Accreditation for Laboratory Animal Care.

The military also has its own internal oversight committee to ensure the Army follows animal welfare laws."

Been there, done that, about 20 times...

You get to go to the goat house and catch them, those that get away get away. Those that don't, ummmm..... well they aren't around any more.

NoBoxes 04-28-2007 04:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 338318)
I guess that makes you the .....
Attachment 12644

HEY! I resemble that remark:

Notice the button above the left chest pocket ... "GAPT" (Goats Are People Too).

Attachment 12643

TheMercenary 04-28-2007 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoBoxes (Post 338505)
HEY! I resemble that remark:

Notice the button above the left chest pocket ... "GAPT" (Goats Are People Too).

Attachment 12643

GREAT PIC! Where did you get that? I use to teach a few courses up there at the JFK SWC. I love it.

Spexxvet 04-28-2007 08:17 AM

http://img.snlarc.jt.org/arc/char/JiBr-Goat%20Boy.jpg

xoxoxoBruce 04-28-2007 01:36 PM

Spexxvet, wrong thread, that picture belongs here.http://www.cellar.org/showthread.php?t=12985

Cloud 04-28-2007 01:43 PM

I'm getting confused!

xoxoxoBruce 04-28-2007 03:53 PM

Why? This thread hasn't drifted off goats, which is remarkable.

NoBoxes 04-29-2007 03:32 AM

@ TheMercenary

The caricature is from my memorabilia. It's a limited edition, numbered, and signed (by the artist) lithograph given to me by one of my Det. (ODA) COs upon his reassignment from the team.

I had a PMOS of 18D4H with ASIs F1, W8, FR which, of course, made my SMOS 18F. In between ODA and ODC assignments, I've been a TAC NCO for phase training at SWC and a Sr. Instr. at 300F1 when it was at AHS, FSHTx. Additionally, I've been a SOMED Sgt. Crs. Ph. III (OJT) liaison NCO (CONUS) and NCOIC for SOMED Ph. III Tng. (OCONUS) in CA. I did a brief Training and Doctrine stint where I wrote the first 18D Soldiers Manual and SQT [yes, it was a bona fide 18D TDA position :greenface ]. Now, my MSM, ARCOM, AAM x 2 and $5 will get me a cup of coffee at Starbucks! :D

I trust this background info will keep my posts in perspective for you. :)

BTW: I named my first goat Gilda, after Gilda Radner of SNL fame. Gilda (the goat) survived the OR and post-op procedures [goats are notorious for lacking the will to live] and went on to a valiant end in the mass cal. exercise. :sniff:

Undertoad 04-29-2007 10:30 AM

Hey, I understand two of those sentences!

Spexxvet 04-29-2007 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 338678)
Spexxvet, wrong thread, that picture belongs here.http://www.cellar.org/showthread.php?t=12985

I.... am..... not an animal [/elephant man]

xoxoxoBruce 04-29-2007 02:12 PM

Not even a warm and fuzzy one?

Cloud 04-29-2007 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 337676)
Mine are "real" full sizegoats boer sanaan nubian mutts. They are much bigger now but Pete has gotten lazy on the homepage. The minis are cute but really, how many people can you invite to that bbq?;)

oh, they're cuties!

the kids too! ;)

the human ones, I mean

TheMercenary 05-01-2007 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoBoxes (Post 338918)
@ TheMercenary

The caricature is from my memorabilia. It's a limited edition, numbered, and signed (by the artist) lithograph given to me by one of my Det. (ODA) COs upon his reassignment from the team.

I had a PMOS of 18D4H with ASIs F1, W8, FR which, of course, made my SMOS 18F. In between ODA and ODC assignments, I've been a TAC NCO for phase training at SWC and a Sr. Instr. at 300F1 when it was at AHS, FSHTx. Additionally, I've been a SOMED Sgt. Crs. Ph. III (OJT) liaison NCO (CONUS) and NCOIC for SOMED Ph. III Tng. (OCONUS) in CA. I did a brief Training and Doctrine stint where I wrote the first 18D Soldiers Manual and SQT [yes, it was a bona fide 18D TDA position :greenface ]. Now, my MSM, ARCOM, AAM x 2 and $5 will get me a cup of coffee at Starbucks! :D

I trust this background info will keep my posts in perspective for you. :)

BTW: I named my first goat Gilda, after Gilda Radner of SNL fame. Gilda (the goat) survived the OR and post-op procedures [goats are notorious for lacking the will to live] and went on to a valiant end in the mass cal. exercise. :sniff:

Well done. See PM.

Edit:
Opps, I see you don't do PM's so I can't tell you where I was assigned or when, I will not put it in public. Let me just say we most likely have mutual friends. :D

Cloud 05-05-2007 12:48 PM

sad demise of married goat