The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Technology (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Drones (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=31061)

xoxoxoBruce 07-18-2015 02:14 PM

Drones

1 Attachment(s)
It's out of hand and getting worse. :(

Quote:

Shortly before the fast-moving blaze jumped the freeway and the cars caught fire, officials had to halt water drops because of a recreational drone flying nearby. It was the third time in recent weeks that firefighters were grounded because of drones. The devices could collide with aircraft that fly at low altitudes, authorities say.

Gravdigr 07-18-2015 03:09 PM

I've seen video of chopper blades in tight spots take out a fair-sized tree limb without so much as a blink, and keep on choppering, I have a hard time believing your average drone would bother one.

Now, if you hit one in a plane, going, say, 300+mph...

...you're gonna have a bad time.

it 07-19-2015 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 933978)
I've seen video of chopper blades in tight spots take out a fair-sized tree limb without so much as a blink, and keep on choppering, I have a hard time believing your average drone would bother one.

Now, if you hit one in a plane, going, say, 300+mph...

...you're gonna have a bad time.

Yea but you know how these things are - regulations are more likely to be sparked by the chopper's insurance policy then by what's possible.

We need a system to create no fly zones on the fly...

Which shouldn't be that difficult, the current drone boom is still young and the industry is in the stage of increasing the size of the pie more then competing for the size of their slice. If we want any kind of standardization, This is probably the best time to do it, and it could help ease the minds and gain some points with the FAA, which could be useful for the drone industry in the long term.

xoxoxoBruce 07-22-2015 02:43 PM

Everything you wanted to know about drones and were too afraid on the NSA to ask.

tw 07-23-2015 11:56 AM

The need could not be more obvious. Licensing (for the same reason automobiles and drivers are licensed) is desperately needed.

it 07-24-2015 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw (Post 934355)
The need could not be more obvious. Licensing (for the same reason automobiles and drivers are licensed) is desperately needed.

Except that drones already have the problems driver licencing is going to be facing: Handling the fact a lot of the time your driver is a software.

So I think maybe going the opposite route is better:
Software standards.

They can include automatically taking away control within certain situations - regulations are a lot easier to code then to teach and certify for. For instance if a no-fly zone is placed because an emergency helicopter has to go through (standard signal), it could require to leave the area automatically if the pilot themselves don't leave it within a certain warning time.
It could even include things such as restricted no fly boxes around roads organized by certain height that would function as berriers for both human piloted and software piloted drones.
And for strictly software piloted, it could be used for giving commercial drones designated air routes windows the same way we do for for airplanes and satellite orbits, which would mean a pizza delivery drone doesn't risk collision with a fire safety inspection drone.
Perhaps most importantly, it could require a certain mean of identification. Because when it comes to criminal activities drones can take part of, from invasion to privacy to actual violence (explosives in a pizza box?), you kind of want that.
It can also be used for... *Ring* sec, I have a call. "Who is this? Oh, the Oceania BB offices? You are interested in my ideas? Why thank you... I will be on my way to your offices in Airstrip One immediately".

glatt 07-24-2015 07:48 AM

I got a drone for Christmas. It's technically a drone because it flies and is remote controlled and has a camera. But I consider it a toy because the transmitter only reaches 100 feet. Once it's out of range, it lands, (often in a tree.)

I'm not sure what regulations apply to me, but I think all the drone regulations do. And I read some FAA rule about proximity to airports, and I'm just within the 5 mile no-fly zone of my local airport. I understand the reasoning for that rule, but it's kind of ridiculous that it's against the law for me to walk down the street to the softball field and fly this thing around at a 50 foot elevation, but I can get a super long string and fly a kite at hundreds of feet from the same field and nobody will blink an eye.

Not sure what the point of my post is, other than to point out all the confusion about the rules and how some of them are ridiculous. If you make ridiculous rules, people will get used to ignoring the rules, and they may ignore rules that aren't so ridiculous.

lumberjim 07-24-2015 09:14 AM

Lamplighter 07-24-2015 11:21 AM

Yeah, won't it be fun when 500 fans in a football stadium
each launch their personal micro's and fly into the huddle, etc., etc.,
... the potentials are enormous.

xoxoxoBruce 07-24-2015 12:48 PM

Try this glatt.

Griff 07-25-2015 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamplighter (Post 934456)
Yeah, won't it be fun when 500 fans in a football stadium
each launch their personal micro's and fly into the huddle, etc., etc.,
... the potentials are enormous.

They'll all get Christmas cards from Bill Belachek though.

xoxoxoBruce 07-26-2015 08:34 PM

Gravdigr 07-27-2015 03:28 PM

This video is titled "Firefighters shoot douchebag's interfering drone out of the air", when what it should say is "Douchebag firefighters shoot douchebag's not quite interfering drone out of the air".

I mean, it's not even close to interfering with those firefighters, unless those firefighters are doing something they don't want caught on video.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't necessarily want someone videoing my burning house. It's a little insensitive, at best. But I could see a usefulness in documenting the work of the firefighters, or the progression of the fire itself, or the condition of parts of the house immediately prior to destruction by fire, and for legal/insurance purposes.

But, to stop fighting the fire, to knock a NON-interfering drone, that looks to be 75-100 feet away, out of the air only raises my suspicions as to what they didn't want caught on video.

glatt 07-27-2015 03:35 PM

power corrupts.

Firefighters have power at the scene of a fire. They saw the drone and decided they had the power to take it out, so they did.

xoxoxoBruce 07-27-2015 03:59 PM

The problem is... One of the problems is with new high tech toys, the early adopters are often type A personalities who go gung ho with little regard to whether they annoy others. Since in this case we often don't know who the perp operator is, this builds resentment against the toys, and everyone who uses them.

However, if you buzz me, regardless of federal law, I'll blow that motherfucker to hell. http://cellar.org/2012/bwekk.gif

Griff 07-28-2015 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 934698)

However, if you buzz me, regardless of federal law, I'll blow that motherfucker to hell. http://cellar.org/2012/bwekk.gif

ditto. I have no patience for this kind of personal invasion. What's the recommended shot for a 12 gauge?

Gravdigr 07-28-2015 11:41 AM

For a reasonably close drone, I'd say bird shot, #6, or so, ought to do the trick.

For people looking at ya driving by on the street, double-ought buck.

xoxoxoBruce 07-28-2015 11:45 AM

Depends how good a shot you are, but probably anything from #2 down to #000.

Pamela 07-30-2015 12:58 AM

I enjoy flying r/c model airplanes. Only one of mine has camera on it (forward-facing GoPro). Are they "drones" or toys? I call them toys. Expensive toys.

Shoot at my $4500 P-51 and i'm coming after you with my (200 mph) kamikaze jet.

xoxoxoBruce 07-30-2015 01:15 AM

Planes are different, they don't hover, although they can be threatening.

xoxoxoBruce 07-30-2015 12:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Since Amazon made headlines 18 months ago, when half the population said cool and the other half scoffed, the discussion died down. However, once they secured the patent, Amazon's drone team has been working behind the scenes, sort of flying below the radar. Now they have proposed a plan to the FAA to establish zones and rules for them to move forward with this plan.

Gravdigr 07-31-2015 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 934749)
What's the recommended shot for a 12 gauge?

Apparently, #8 works preeety damn good...

Gravdigr 07-31-2015 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 934913)
Planes are different, they don't hover, although they can be threatening.

...and loud as hell sometimes. I'd keep my r/c planes close to the r/c airport.;)

Pamela 07-31-2015 09:44 PM

Actually, mine fly at my dropyard. Lots of open space, hardly any traffic, hardpack to take off and land on, grass to, um, emergency land, on. I could fly at home, but my neighbors might not like the mosquito-like noise and there are a lot of trees, plus an interstate downwind. Not a great idea for r/c flight.

Gravdigr 08-13-2015 02:01 PM

Take that, you mean old drone, you...:lol2:

Article

xoxoxoBruce 08-13-2015 04:27 PM

Hmm, if the Feds say I'm not supposed to use a shotgun, maybe a trained Eagle... hmm

tw 08-14-2015 10:24 AM

This will only continue to get worse until we all realize that drones must be licensed just like other hardware that can also be harmful. Pilots and planes are licensed. Cars are licences. Drone can easily be licensed. Which includes a VIN number in the digital transmissions to and from each drone.

Unfortunately, emotion rather than logic dominates both the anti-drone and we have the right to do anything pro-drone advocates.

Lamplighter 08-15-2015 03:22 PM

I bet that "wedge-tailed eagle" has a different tail now,
... and it won't try hunting that kind of bird again.

Big Sarge 08-20-2015 05:35 PM

I have a 10x10 with 32 inch barrels. The goose rounds I have shot are BB or BBB. Is there any update on the case in Kentucky? I think the guy was justified

Gravdigr 09-05-2015 02:19 PM

I haven't heard anything else about the drone killer. Probably be a while before that gets to court.

I did find this today. Drone video of a flash flood on Maui:

Dude has less than 20 seconds from the first noticeable increase in flow til he goes over. No one hurt.

xoxoxoBruce 09-05-2015 03:37 PM

That escalated quickly. I don't understand who was swinging from the chopper.

Gravdigr 09-06-2015 02:43 PM

Whutsthatnow? Nevermind, I for got there was even a heliocopter in that vid.

Gravdigr 09-08-2015 12:33 PM

We all knew it was just a matter of time...

xoxoxoBruce 09-08-2015 12:40 PM

That's no drone, that's an aircraft, a plane, subject to all sorts of FAA restrictions. Even as an experimental, they'll be all over him. Ten minutes of battery life is just long enough to get in trouble.

glatt 09-08-2015 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 938290)
all sorts of FAA restrictions

The black socks with shorts tells me he is British. (Plus the union jack sticker and the license plate on the trailer.)

xoxoxoBruce 09-08-2015 01:06 PM

Oh, I thought the black socks and shorts just meant he is a dweeb. :rolleyes:

Gravdigr 09-08-2015 01:13 PM

Or, he's not wearing shorts. They're actually boxers, and he just took off his trousers.

Because he doesn't like flying by the seat of his pants.

xoxoxoBruce 09-08-2015 01:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)

it 09-09-2015 01:10 PM

Just a concept, but I like it anyway

http://a.fastcompany.net/multisite_f...idrone2slb.jpg

xoxoxoBruce 09-09-2015 09:12 PM

Maybe on Mars. :rolleyes:

it 09-10-2015 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 938478)
Maybe on Mars. :rolleyes:

So... Will this one magically change human psychology across the entire species too? :p:

xoxoxoBruce 09-10-2015 04:08 AM

Human psychology may change but physics won't, those rotors won't carry the weight of an air ambulance, so send it to mars with the rest of the science fiction fantasy. http://cellar.org/2012/bwekk.gif

Undertoad 09-10-2015 07:00 AM

I thought you meant with the lower gravity on Mars this will actually work there.

it 09-10-2015 11:51 AM

Oh regarding the physical design I agree - at that weight you'd basically just want to go with an unmanned helicopter design, and in particular for this purpose - If anything, the extra pitch & roll of the quad design is something you'd probably prefer not to have when you have a patient inside any every extra motion is another direction for blood to spill.

But you are missing the point - one of biggest reasons there are more ambulances on the road then from the sky are the costs of pilots themselves. This is one area where the vehicle construction can be made to meet demand and be mass produced for cheaper, by the bottleneck is in the skill. The other massive reason is also skill related but indirectly - regulations in regards to where it can land and how low it can fly in urban or highly populated areas. Now, take these restraints away...

...And you'll have a fleet of ambulances that can't fly in the rain. Ok, some kinks do need to be worked on. But I wouldn't call that science fiction.

xoxoxoBruce 09-10-2015 06:18 PM

That's a whole different ball game from the vehicle I commented on. Yes mass production should make air ambulances(VTOL type) cheaper but two problems in the woodpile. One is government regulations on aircraft, the other is it would be grouped with "medical equipment", the biggest ripoff and fastest skyrocketing group in the inflation index. We all know greed triumphs over all.

UT, even though Mars gravity is only 38% of ours, the atmosphere is not VTOL friendly, way to thin.

xoxoxoBruce 10-05-2015 03:32 AM

Quote:

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) says that up to a million new consumer drones could be sold this Christmas, and it is terrified of what civilians with no air safety knowledge might do with them. Rich Swayze, the FAA's Assistant Administrator for Policy, International Affairs, and Environment told the Airlines for America (A4A) Commercial Aviation Industry Summit in Washington on 28 September that the state agency is rushing to implement a consumer education campaign before the holiday season begins in earnest.
Kill 'em with fire.

link

glatt 10-05-2015 07:26 AM

When I got my toy drone for Christmas last year, it had absolutely no instructions about rules for flying it. In fact, the Engrish was so bad, it wasn't even clear how to fly it.

glatt 10-20-2015 12:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 934430)
I got a drone for Christmas. It's technically a drone because it flies and is remote controlled and has a camera. But I consider it a toy because the transmitter only reaches 100 feet. Once it's out of range, it lands, (often in a tree.)

I'm not sure what regulations apply to me, but I think all the drone regulations do. And I read some FAA rule about proximity to airports, and I'm just within the 5 mile no-fly zone of my local airport. I understand the reasoning for that rule, but it's kind of ridiculous that it's against the law for me to walk down the street to the softball field and fly this thing around at a 50 foot elevation, but I can get a super long string and fly a kite at hundreds of feet from the same field and nobody will blink an eye.

Not sure what the point of my post is, other than to point out all the confusion about the rules and how some of them are ridiculous. If you make ridiculous rules, people will get used to ignoring the rules, and they may ignore rules that aren't so ridiculous.

Turns out I really was confused. I knew about the 5 mile rule, but didn't realize Reagan National has a special 15 mile rule.

The FAA just announced that all owners will be required to register their drones. That prompted me to really try ti figure out where I'm allowed to fly near me. So I made the following map.

Now, this map is not complete, because I didn't factor in two other things I know about, which is that you can't fly a drone within THREE Miles of a scheduled sporting event starting 1 hour beforehand and going 1 hour afterwards. (My reading of the rule is that this includes school sports.) And the second thing is that national parks don't allow drones in their airspace. I'm sure there are other rules too. Like can you fly one over a nuke plant? Probably not.

So here's what I've come up with so far.
Attachment 53800

glatt 10-20-2015 12:26 PM

https://www.mapbox.com/drone/no-fly/ tries to assemble a map of drone no-fly zones, but it is crowd sourced, so I'm not sure how accurate it is.

xoxoxoBruce 10-20-2015 06:08 PM

That stripe from Chicago southwest through Jolliet, then west, is curious. :confused:

Happy Monkey 10-20-2015 06:53 PM

Hover your mouse over it - "Illinois and Michigan Canal".

Dude111 10-21-2015 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
It's out of hand and getting worse. :(

Yup indeed it is!!

Last wek I saw my frist drone!!!!!! -- I was out shopping and wehn me and a friend came out,it was hovering in the parking lot!! (looked errie)

I tried @ all costs to stay OUT OF ITS CAMERA VIEW!! (I didnt see anyone operating it)

busterb 10-21-2015 09:29 AM

Sam's club has a couple for x-mas. Got a few extra grand to spend?

xoxoxoBruce 10-21-2015 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 942607)
Hover your mouse over it - "Illinois and Michigan Canal".

Yes, and the Joliet Ammo Plant. I figured it was the Lake Michigan to Illinois & Mississippi, rivers connection. It just seemed odd the whole hundred or so miles of what is essentially a man made river, is restricted airspace. I suppose terrorists could attack the measures keeping the Carp out of the lake.

Gravdigr 10-27-2015 05:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Drone carrying drugs, hacksaw blades crashes at Oklahoma prison

Quote:

The package contained two hacksaw blades, a mobile phone, a mobile phone battery, a hands-free device, two packages of cigarettes, two packs of cigars, super glue, a 5.3-ounce bag of marijuana, a 0.8 ounce bag of methamphetamine and a bag of heroin weighing less than one gram.
Attachment 53898

Lamplighter 10-27-2015 05:13 PM

How high will the Trump Border Wall have to be to stop these illegal alien criminal drones ?

lumberjim 10-27-2015 05:30 PM

couldn't work out how to fit a gun control reference in there? cmon try harder

xoxoxoBruce 10-27-2015 05:46 PM

Newports!?! Shoot that fucker down. :apistola:

tw 10-27-2015 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamplighter (Post 943575)
How high will the Trump Border Wall have to be to stop these illegal alien criminal drones ?.

Trump Tower. Then The Donald can have more pentahouse apartments overlooking the little people. This time Mexicans.

Gravdigr 10-30-2015 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 943592)
Newports!?! Shoot that fucker down.

Apparently, it's legal to do that very thing. At least in Kentucky.

Blaze away!!

:sniper: