The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Is it possible to have bbs withdrawl? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=11033)

afrayedknot 06-16-2006 05:32 PM

Is it possible to have bbs withdrawl?

Hi folks,
I have been lurking here for the better part of a week....wanting, waiting, hoping against hope that my bbs would come back online. Alas, I believe it is gone forever (It's been down for almost 2 weeks). I have been there for almost 3 years. It is like losing a lover! Like a grief stricken, teary-eyed woman...I wandered into The Cellar. I am finally ready to ask for some TLC. Some solace out of adversity. A place to call home. Am I in the right place?:eyebrow:

lumberjim 06-16-2006 05:50 PM

you're the one who's been lurking. how should we know? we haven't been lurking on your board. ARE you in the right place? you're certainly welcome. Especially if you don't suck as a person.

xoxoxoBruce 06-16-2006 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afrayedknot
Am I in the right place?:eyebrow:

Of course you are M'dear, welcome, come right in and make your self comfortable....here, let me take your clothes. ;)

afrayedknot 06-16-2006 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Of course you are M'dear, welcome, come right in and make your self comfortable....here, let me take your clothes. ;)

You could of had them, but the lawn guy came over and I had to put them back on again.

capnhowdy 06-16-2006 07:25 PM

What she was saying 'in a nice way'....'fraid not.

xoB , you don't miss one do you? You old scallywag.

Welcome to the Cellar, afrayedknot. Lover the user handle.

bluecuracao 06-16-2006 07:26 PM

Oh brother. When I first glanced at the thread title, I thought it said "bbq withdrawl." Must be time to eat!

Iggy 06-16-2006 07:27 PM

Welcome to our humble abode. :D

Beestie 06-16-2006 09:43 PM

Quote:

Am I in the right place?

Welcome. We've been expecting you.

Happy Monkey 06-16-2006 10:07 PM

The Cellar is BBS withdrawal.

(welcome)

Rock Steady 06-16-2006 10:16 PM

Quote:

... A place to call home. Am I in the right place?:eyebrow:

Hey girlfriend, the same thing happened to me. My old forum fell apart and I joined here. It's really a great place. But you have to build new friendships all over again in a new community. The Dwellars have been really nice to me and this is now my main online community.

I've tried to go completely forumless, but I am addicted to the human contact without strings. At work, I find I have to posture and look productive and all that. Here, I don't care if anyone thinks I'm an asshole, I can just be myself.

...Rocky

zippyt 06-16-2006 10:26 PM

Welcome to the cellar , do NOT be an AG-er !!!

BabbleOn5 06-16-2006 10:32 PM

but, the old place was so, so, ummm, how do we say it?

zippyt 06-16-2006 10:42 PM

Homey ???

Rock Steady 06-16-2006 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippyt
Welcome to the cellar , do NOT be an AG-er !!!

Dude, either one was an AG-er or not. I was not and this new member sounds like she came from some other defunct place. I think the AG scare is over.

Undertoad 06-16-2006 11:57 PM

We don't serve strings here.

Rock Steady 06-17-2006 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad
We don't serve strings here.

Yes. Thank you.

tw 06-17-2006 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock Steady
I've tried to go completely forumless, but I am addicted to the human contact without strings.

Someone who can live on forums alone? That makes you a perfect candidate for a NASA job. A few lonely years to and from Mars - human contact without strings. No wife. No shrink. Only Cellar contacts. Sound like the simple life you desire?

xoxoxoBruce 06-17-2006 06:41 AM

Yes. :D

Spexxvet 06-17-2006 08:14 AM

Quote:

... Some solace out of adversity...

Does anyone think there's no adversity here. Where's the quiz?

richlevy 06-17-2006 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
The Cellar is BBS withdrawal.

(welcome)

Quote:

He buys a load of hardware with some money that he'd made by doing consulting work. We set the system up in Scott's cellar. He has gotten an illicit copy of SCO Xenix from a friend who works in SCO tech support, and somehow we load the machine and get it running.
You know, UT, maybe with SCO running around suing everyone, you might want to leave out that little piece of Cellar history.

I would love to know at what point I joined the Cellar. I made it to one GTG at RTM, and to the BBQ at UT's house. I remember the Cellar move and the issues with the call forwarding. Not counting a sporadic period during the Telnet years, I guess that means I've been here on and off for 10 years out of the past 16.

afrayedknot 06-17-2006 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beestie
Welcome. We've been expecting you.

Take me to your leader.

afrayedknot 06-17-2006 11:41 AM

Quote:

Hey girlfriend, the same thing happened to me. My old forum fell apart and I joined here. It's really a great place. But you have to build new friendships all over again in a new community. The Dwellars have been really nice to me and this is now my main online community.

I've tried to go completely forumless, but I am addicted to the human contact without strings. At work, I find I have to posture and look productive and all that. Here, I don't care if anyone thinks I'm an asshole, I can just be myself.

...Rocky

I've never considered going cold turkey. I don't want to think about painful things on a Saturday morn.

afrayedknot 06-17-2006 11:42 AM

Quote:

Dude, either one was an AG-er or not. I was not and this new member sounds like she came from some other defunct place. I think the AG scare is over.

What is AG?

capnhowdy 06-17-2006 11:50 AM

Asshole Gallery

DucksNuts 06-17-2006 08:47 PM

Now now capn, play nice

xoxoxoBruce 06-17-2006 10:38 PM

Quote:

What is AG?

Another site that shut down and a bunch of the exiles swarmed into the Cellar. A couple of them didn't fit well and moved on. :cool:

richlevy 06-17-2006 11:01 PM

Quote:

Another site that shut down and a bunch of the exiles swarmed into the Cellar. A couple of them didn't fit well and moved on. :cool:

That's right, for a while it was like Casablanca, but without the Nazis.

You must remember this, a kiss is just a kiss....

xoxoxoBruce 06-18-2006 12:50 AM

Quote:

But you might get maced,
if it is misplaced...:mecry:

afrayedknot 06-18-2006 09:28 AM

Quote:

Not sure if I am the correct fit, but times takes time.

xoxoxoBruce 06-18-2006 09:56 AM

Sure you fit, we have a lot of weird people from Florida. :bolt:

skysidhe 06-18-2006 11:07 AM

Quote:

Am I in the right place?:eyebrow:

Welcome. If you are sincere you'll feel you are in the right place.

People here are individuals and seem really real and genuine and I feel honored to be here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by richlevy
That's right, for a while it was like Casablanca, but without the Nazis.

hehehe

& Like snatching candy from the hands of fat greedy babies too.

xoxoxoBruce 06-18-2006 03:24 PM

You want my candy? OK, I understand...it tasted real good when I had it in my mouth before I dropped it in the sand. :haha:

Elspode 06-18-2006 07:18 PM

Quote:

Take me to your leader.

You've just missed him. He was the guy who said that we don't serve strings, here.

Welcome. LJ...where's the quiz?

capnhowdy 06-18-2006 07:48 PM

LJ's too lazy for the quiz nowdays. There goes the neighborhood.

capnhowdy 06-18-2006 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DucksNuts
Now now capn, play nice

Allright then.:rolleyes:

primal muse 06-20-2006 08:41 PM

i think you'll like it here. im thinking of making this my main forums instead of the ones ive been calling home for the past 4 years. you cant even make a post without 20 catty girls following you around making vile remarks. i like that it isnt like that here.

BabbleOn5 06-20-2006 10:03 PM

I guess I miss it because of the simplicity. It had a nice rhythm, very quick to find out if there was anything interesting going on.

If not, you could just toss some insults and feel better about yourself. Kinda nice.

wolf 06-20-2006 10:10 PM

Afrayedknot ... Clever screen name, invested 3 years elsewhere ... you'll do.

BabbleOn5 ... also a fun name.

welcome.

Rock Steady 06-21-2006 03:11 AM

Oh, now I vaguely remember the joke that UT refers to above. "A String walks into a bar and orders a drink... blah... Afrayedknot." I don't remember the details.

afrayedknot 06-21-2006 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by primal muse
i think you'll like it here. im thinking of making this my main forums instead of the ones ive been calling home for the past 4 years. you cant even make a post without 20 catty girls following you around making vile remarks. i like that it isnt like that here.

There are other forums here? :eek:

Undertoad 06-21-2006 08:17 AM

A string walks into a bar. The bartender says Hey! You're a string aren't you? The string says yes I suppose so. The bartender says Well we don't serve strings here, you have to leave. The string walks out dejectedly. When it gets out the door it works itself into a frenzy, rolling itself up and around. Finally it walks back into the bar. The bartender says Hey! Aren't you that same string that walked in here a few minutes ago? The string replies,

No I'm a frayed knot!

LabRat 06-21-2006 09:11 AM

Welcome to our little corner of the net. You sound like you'll fit in nicely.

I do miss LJ's quizzes too. I just tried to look up his old posts to try to find a couple and and put the questions here, but damn, I don't have all day. He posts in the word association thread too much. Wordy bastard.

Maybe I'll try a few questions. They won't be as creative though...

1. What's the last movie you saw?
2. Blackjack or craps?
3. Wine or beer?
4. What's the best way to eat ribs, fork or fingers?
5. How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
6. Stilettos or sneaks?

OK, I know the rest of you can come up with better ones than these. I need a Pepsi.

7. Coke or Pepsi? Diet or high octane? *and do you call the previous pop or soda?

afrayedknot 06-21-2006 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LabRat
Welcome to our little corner of the net. You sound like you'll fit in nicely.

I do miss LJ's quizzes too. I just tried to look up his old posts to try to find a couple and and put the questions here, but damn, I don't have all day. He posts in the word association thread too much. Wordy bastard.

Maybe I'll try a few questions. They won't be as creative though...

1. What's the last movie you saw?
2. Blackjack or craps?
3. Wine or beer?
4. What's the best way to eat ribs, fork or fingers?
5. How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
6. Stilettos or sneaks?

OK, I know the rest of you can come up with better ones than these. I need a Pepsi.

7. Coke or Pepsi? Diet or high octane? *and do you call the previous pop or soda?

1. Supertroopers
2. BJ
3. Riesling or Red Stripe; whatever is in the fridge.
4. I don't care for them. Too much work for the payoff, coupled with, I use
to work in operating rooms. Some images are burned into my brain.
5. I just did it! 3 times real fast.
6. For personal safety-sneaks. If I only have to take two steps from the
closet to the bed-stilettos.
7. Coke. High Octane. Pop (The latter I have found to slightly annoy people)

skysidhe 06-21-2006 09:40 AM

Quote:

You want my candy? OK, I understand...it tasted real good when I had it in my mouth before I dropped it in the sand. :haha:

Not the Cellarites! I have no complaints obviously :angel:

primal muse 06-21-2006 03:52 PM

Quote:

There are other forums here? :eek:

haha no but theres other forums on the www

limey 06-21-2006 05:38 PM

AfrayedKnot, what I would do if I could not fail is organise world peace. Sorry to be so corny, but it has to be done ...
On a personal level, I'd get the Other Half a permanent job - not for the money but for the self-esteem (so he'd have to know it wasn't me!). We live in a place where the employment opportunities are very limited and his skills are just not a match locally at all, or so the local employers seem to think.

BabbleOn5 06-21-2006 11:38 PM

1. What's the last movie you saw? Brokeback Mountain
2. Blackjack or craps? BJ
3. Wine or beer? Wine
4. What's the best way to eat ribs, fork or fingers? Fingers, c'mon
5. How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? Huh?
6. Stilettos or sneaks? Stilletos, not even close.

Rock Steady 06-21-2006 11:42 PM

Sheesh, these newbies are gooooood. Welcome@@@!!!

rkzenrage 06-21-2006 11:43 PM

Quote:

Sure you fit, we have a lot of weird people from Florida. :bolt:

Florida is the weird person capitol of the world.
I just left two boards... it was odd for a bit, mostly just breaking the habit. Though there were some people I missed. I PMd them, if they wanted to e-mail me they would have, so I don't feel that badly about it. I e-mailed them, they did not respond. So, they were not friends.

Rock Steady 06-22-2006 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkzenrage
Florida is the weird person capitol of the world....

Good try. So, yeah, I lived in NY and LA and other places between.

San Francisco. It's not even close.

rkzenrage 06-22-2006 12:42 AM

Lived in LA and worked in NY quite a bit... per-capita, neither has shit on Central FL.
Why do you think Jerry gets all his people from here?

Just because a guy walks a rubber rat does not make his truly crazy...

Rock Steady 06-22-2006 01:18 AM

Yes, you are right, Per Capita. I can imagine you are right about TB-Orlando.

But, seriously, you have to experience SF. It is very geograhpically limited by beiing on the tip of the penisula. It is very much different than LA. It is more like half of Manhattan in space.

But, the concentration of eccentics in San Francisco is unparallelled. Grace Slick, Jerry Garcia, and Charles Schwab now have followers and anti-followers.

Anyway, let's mellow out at the park at Stanyan and Haight to smoke a peace pipe of kind bud and talk about our stock portfolios; I'm really hot on Equity Office Properites. Afterwards, we can walk down to the Ben and Jerry's at Haight and Ashbury.

rkzenrage 06-22-2006 01:22 AM

Been there, but only visited. What I saw was more eccentrics, again, not real nuts. Though, I was not there for very long.

Rock Steady 06-22-2006 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkzenrage
Been there, but only visited. What I saw was more eccentrics, again, not real nuts. Though, I was not there for very long.

I can show you around next time. It's best to get invited to private parties on fashionable Castro Street or somewhere else Hella Good. I got to some great parties, but damn, one of my friends still teases me about how I turned down being a one-night gigilo for a prominant female VC at a SF dot-bomb party in the day. It came up so unexpectedly that I didn't react properly.

The next bubble is here. VCs are throwing money at "social networks" and "contextual advertising" in a herd mentality. Free registration at stragetic Trade Shows gets you invitations to serious "after parties". You just have to know how to work the system.

rkzenrage 06-22-2006 01:49 AM

Sounds like home for sure. Will take you up on it if I'm in your neck of tha' woods again.