The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Have You Ever Google Searched Yourself? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=22710)

fargon 05-10-2010 03:03 PM

Have You Ever Google Searched Yourself?

I did and I'm a sex offender in Florida!!!:eek:

DangerouslySimple 05-10-2010 03:06 PM

Actually, I do periodically. I also look up my husband, and my kids.

Have you guys ever saw Spokeo.com? Scary shit right there

Cloud 05-10-2010 03:09 PM

of course. My name happens to be the same as a very rich Texan.

DanaC 05-10-2010 03:16 PM

Yep.

Spexxvet 05-10-2010 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DangerouslySimple (Post 655231)
...Have you guys ever saw Spokeo.com? Scary shit right there

They got a whole lot wrong for me.

glatt 05-10-2010 03:23 PM

I just discovered that Google has some of my hometown's old newspapers archived now. So I was vanity searching through them an hour or so ago. I was an active nerd in high school. And my old town newspaper had nothing to print except lists of kids who made honor role or got varsity letters for yearbook or whatever.

Shawnee123 05-10-2010 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spexxvet (Post 655237)
They got a whole lot wrong for me.

Ha! Me too! For one thing, who the hell are those people in the pictures?

Spexxvet 05-10-2010 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 655243)
Ha! Me too! For one thing, who the hell are those people in the pictures?

It's nice to know that my house is worth 1+M! As if.

DangerouslySimple 05-10-2010 03:33 PM

yeah, they got a ton wrong on me too- but they did get some of my basic info right. I had to laugh at some of it though. I had them take my information outta the database, but it's scary that people can go there and pay for information like that.

Shawnee123 05-10-2010 03:34 PM

My kids are doing wonderfully! I think. Where the hell are they? (Crap! I musta lost them YEARS ago.) Well, I wish them all the best. Wherever they are.

classicman 05-10-2010 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DangerouslySimple (Post 655231)
Spokeo.com? Scary shit right there

Scary that it is so out of date.
1) I don't exist (aren't you all happy)
2) Most of the info for the three other people I looked up was wrong.
Yeh it is scary that anyone would pay for that and think its accurate.

jinx 05-10-2010 04:03 PM

They have me, listed as male, under my maiden name, at the PO box I don't use anymore. Booga-booga!

Griff 05-10-2010 05:09 PM

I just google image searched myself and I made the first page! I share the page with a "famous" fund manager, a Canadian high school hockey player, a North Carolina track athlete/ high school running back, a drunk homo-sexual teenager in Ireland, a Jesus freak Dad in Youghal, a World Cup of Tiddley champ, a wedding planner and an educator of Travelers.

Clodfobble 05-10-2010 05:36 PM

Ooh, an image search, I'd never considered that. A legitimate link for me came up on the second page, though it wasn't actually a picture of me. Other than that, nothing.

jinx 05-10-2010 05:48 PM

First image result for my name is my facebook profile pic - but when I just search my name, someone else's facebook info comes up.... a chubby little teen.
Image results for my maiden name result in local newpaper articles about me making honor roll and skiing well in 1985. Cool. I did better in 86 though, wish they'd hurry and scan that in, lol..

Aliantha 05-10-2010 06:07 PM

Dazza's name comes up hundreds of times. mine, not once.

toranokaze 05-10-2010 09:34 PM

I don't exist; I found my parents house, but I don't know where they got that phone number or the pictures for that matter.

monster 05-10-2010 10:30 PM

Spokeo got nuttin on me -street and name is all -less than is available on the city treasurer's website.

I loved that they got a black former U of M football player as a female caucasian....

GunMaster357 05-11-2010 09:42 AM

Yes, usually Google comes up with some (not much) professionnal information and somewhere around the 20th page or perhaps more one reference about a website storing naughty songs ;)

Otherwise, I don't know these guys

richlevy 11-21-2010 09:47 AM

I just saw an article about Spokeo on CNET. I searched myself. At first I thought they didn't have me, but when I scrolled I found that they had a lot of info.

What's funny is that in most places, employees are strictly prohibited from giving out any salary info to coworkers. Yet for $3, you can presumably get the income of all of your coworkers. I don't know if it's broken down by source, but it might be close.

Cloud 11-21-2010 11:37 AM

all the Spokeo data I've seen is made up--a "typical" set of data

footfootfoot 11-21-2010 01:06 PM

Most of the spokeo data on me was correct. OK some of the data.
Alright, they did get my name right. And my address.

Sundae 11-21-2010 01:15 PM

Har-har - Spokeo is Merkins only.
As I have a reasonably common given name, and my surname is the name of a town in my home County, I'm not easy to find without additional information. Via the Cellar, yes - internet in general, no.

hotshot1 11-21-2010 02:49 PM

I found a google link that says there are 19 people with my first and last name.

Gravdigr 11-22-2010 01:12 AM

I had some time to kill the other day and before I knew it I was Googling myself...but, I had to stop cuzz the McEmployee brought my food out to the car.

She almost caught me.

classicman 11-22-2010 08:32 AM

I'm not even in the system - nor are three other people I searched for, one of which is sitting across from me.

I found a few other people in the system, but the spokeo info is so bad, its less than worthless - its blatantly false.

SamIam 11-22-2010 12:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm like Sundae - I have a very common last name, so I'm nearly impossible to find. Google had tons of images under my name. Here I am in one of my many disguises:

Gravdigr 11-24-2010 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamIam (Post 695610)
I'm like Sundae - I have a very common last name, so I'm nearly impossible to find. Google had tons of images under my name. Here I am in one of my many disguises:

Hey I know you! Stay outta my garbage can!!!

Lamplighter 11-25-2010 02:46 PM

I can get there via the Google's "Scholar" search engine,
but not via it's regular search.
I existed long before Google, and haven't done much since.

But I was really startled when I clicked on Google images and
there I was, the 3rd pic in the first row :eek:

bluecuracao 11-27-2010 02:23 AM

Last time I did, I was pretty pissed off to find out that my name and full address came up through some stupid real estate site that claims to get their info through public records.

I'm not in the phone book, so no one would be able to find out where I live by my name otherwise. City records here allow you to search by address, not by name. I sent an email to these mofos requesting that they take my name off their site, but they refused (however, famous wealthy guy living across the street isn't listed, as well as acquaintance in the RE business). :mad:

TheMercenary 11-27-2010 12:41 PM

I was not listed on either google or spokeo. Which is good. But I am also one of those people who consistently gives inaccurate info on nearly everything I fill out, including age, location, income, etc. and I mix it up on every new thing I fill out. So far it seems to have worked.

Clodfobble 11-27-2010 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluecuracao
Last time I did, I was pretty pissed off to find out that my name and full address came up through some stupid real estate site that claims to get their info through public records.

Property tax records are public. If you own your mortgage (as opposed to renting, or having the mortgage in the spouse's name only,) your name/address are out there. As is information like your appraisal value, and probably square footage too...

bluecuracao 11-27-2010 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 696543)
Property tax records are public. If you own your mortgage (as opposed to renting, or having the mortgage in the spouse's name only,) your name/address are out there. As is information like your appraisal value, and probably square footage too...

Yes, true. But in Philly, BRT property records can't be searched online by a property owner's name--only by address or account number. So I think that would allow a layer of protection if a crazy ex or some such nut job wants to find out where you live via internet.

Not sure how other cities allow you to search their records...

monster 11-27-2010 07:58 PM

Not hard to set a program to go through the records by address and create a reverse directory searchable by name.

Clodfobble 11-27-2010 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluecuracao
But in Philly, BRT property records can't be searched online by a property owner's name--only by address or account number.

Interesting--it certainly does seem to be a better way to do things. In this county you can search by name, but it's iffy on whether the results will come back right. Our house is under "[Last Name], [Wife] and [Husband]," and the address won't come up unless you search for this exact name string. In our previous county, the search engine was much more usable.

classicman 11-27-2010 09:40 PM

The data is available online for anyone who wishes to purchase it. The company I work for access the data from 4 different states and we get it on a disc in an excel spreadsheet. I can search pretty much anything - street address, zipcode, county, purchase price, assessed value, names... whatever. This information was made available to the public in, I believe 1992... freedom of information something or other.

monster 11-27-2010 10:52 PM

Do you work for a debt collection agency?

classicman 11-27-2010 10:59 PM

nope

xoxoxoBruce 11-27-2010 11:03 PM

Probably the sunshine act, because it's government business.

Undertoad 11-28-2010 08:51 AM

I used to have the database of all registered voters in my county. It was pretty easy to get. Cost $35 at the time, I think. I had everyone's birthdate and whether they voted in the last eight elections. I still have it on disk somewhere although the data is from 1997.

glatt 11-28-2010 10:56 AM

They use that voter information. After I voted (along with maybe 300 other people) in our county's primary for school board officials, my name must have been placed on some super elite political list of suckers, because the amount of requests for political donations I got just skyrocketed.

classicman 11-28-2010 11:51 AM

Mine did too this year. I never thought that because I voted was the reason.
I figured they were doing that to everyone.

Undertoad 11-28-2010 11:51 AM

People who vote in minor primary elections are elite super-voters. I targeted them too, because it's money not wasted: you expect them to vote.

Pete Zicato 11-30-2010 02:18 PM

My celler user page is the number one hit on Google for "Pete Zicato". :D

classicman 11-30-2010 08:33 PM

You are the top 5 in my search :)

footfootfoot 11-30-2010 10:09 PM

There are a lot of footfootfoot hits (non cellar related) and none of them are me. I'm surprised at the popularity of the name.

Clodfobble 11-30-2010 10:30 PM

Interesting. When I search my username, I get a lot of cellar hits, but further down the list I get cellar threads named as different domains, like netradiology, wordcafeonline, kenkrawchuk... clicking the links brings up exactly what looks like the cellar. Is there money in duplicating the content? I don't get it.

xoxoxoBruce 12-01-2010 01:36 AM

That's weird, I wonder if they are archiving sites?

Undertoad 12-01-2010 07:22 AM

Those are old domains I used to operate that no longer have sites attached to them. I should configure them out.

nowhereman 12-01-2010 08:18 AM

Tried a couple of variations and ... nothing. I guess that Witness Protection thing really works :cool:

footfootfoot 12-02-2010 07:24 PM

well, you're really nowhere, man.

nowhereman 12-03-2010 01:38 PM

No, no, I'm right here. At least I was a minute ago...

footfootfoot 12-03-2010 08:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just checked, you seem to be gone again.

footfootfoot 12-03-2010 08:57 PM

You might be confusing yourself with the now here man. Who should be here any minute.

BrianR 12-03-2010 10:08 PM

Turns out, I am an Irish actor and an alcoholic from some Iron Curtain country.

wolf 12-04-2010 10:48 AM

Apparently I am a dentist, died in a diving accident, am an anesthesiologist, have an acting career, direct a department of mental health and hygiene (close, but no guitar), have a Swedish Wikipedia entry, am active in Jews for Jesus, was photgraphed at Dachau with my babies, am considered a hottie in a small town in Ohio, was arrested recently in Maricopa County, Arizona (I'll say a big "Hi" to Sheriff Joe for you), participate in a number of professional networks of professions I do not practice, informed the New York Times that the end of the world was nigh, and am Pennsylvania Dutch.

I got bored by page 25 and stopped looking.

None of the hits are me.

skysidhe 12-05-2010 02:18 PM

I use a unique user name for every social website I am on. That makes me very unsearchable.

and my real name is common. None of them are me.
I wish I was an attorney though.