The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Woman Overboard (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=17233)

lumberjim 05-12-2008 07:53 PM

Woman Overboard

This woman fell off a cruise ship. Her boyfriend (shown in the video)works here.

holy

freaking

hell.

Sundae 05-12-2008 07:59 PM

I watched a programme about people "lost" at sea a little while back.
It is distressingly common and many of the cases are never fully resolved i.e. body not found, circumstances where foul play is suspected not resolved and in some cases no reason ever known for "disappearance".

I really feel for the boyfriend - I wonder if he'll ever come to terms with it.

Cloud 05-12-2008 08:02 PM

oh, I thought the video was going to be her actually falling off. Did you note the comment from the guy's ex-wife?

jinx 05-12-2008 08:05 PM

Omg how awful.

lumberjim 05-12-2008 09:59 PM

saw a comment that said

Quote:

People that were on board this NCL cruise say she was clibling over the balcony to get to the balcony next door.
i cant see george having anything to do with it.

xoxoxoBruce 05-12-2008 10:42 PM

King of the World?

Trilby 05-13-2008 06:03 AM

I can't imagine anything worse than being lost at sea....how awful! that poor woman!

footfootfoot 05-13-2008 08:10 AM

...must not say it... must not say it...

glatt 05-13-2008 08:13 AM

People on vacation often take more risks than they would at home. Whether it's renting mopeds to zoom around windy mountain roads in Greece, or bungee jumping in New Zealand, or para gliding off the back of a boat in Florida, there's a sense that you are invincible when on vacation.

If she was climbing from balcony to balcony, I'm not terribly shocked. Sucks for everyone involved.

lumberjim 05-13-2008 11:10 AM

there's that news van again....

LabRat 05-13-2008 11:18 AM

IMHO, it's the ones who seem to lead the tightest lives that let loose the hardest when away. I know I rarely drink when in my 'normal' life, but spent most of my recent vacation at least 1 sheet to the wind because I didn't have a daughter, work, peers etc. to worry about. . . and along with that went behavior I nornally wouldn't do.

My first thought was that she was probably drunk and that had 99.9% to do with this accident. My thoughts go to her family.

lookout123 05-13-2008 11:30 AM

Quote:

and along with that went behavior I nornally wouldn't do.
So are you going to post the pics or should we start googling?

Trilby 05-13-2008 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 453213)
...must not say it... must not say it...

I know exactly what you're thinking.

TheMercenary 05-13-2008 01:51 PM

I think he tossed her over.

lumberjim 05-13-2008 02:07 PM

that's nice, merc. and you base that on what?

it's amazing how many people are on that blog saying stupid shit just like that. Is it because you watch too much tv, or because you're a horrible sonofabitch, and that's something you might do?

here.

TheMercenary 05-13-2008 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 453314)
that's nice, merc. and you base that on what?

it's amazing how many people are on that blog saying stupid shit just like that. Is it because you watch too much tv, or because you're a horrible sonofabitch, and that's something you might do?

here.

Hey LJ, I didn't mean to offend. Sorry about that. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Well maybe Radar.

lumberjim 05-13-2008 04:04 PM

that's alright....

still, change your use title to 'horrible sonofabitch'

tw 05-13-2008 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 453305)
I think he tossed her over.

Just another in a list of possibilities. All possible because mostly provided is hearsay and speculation. From what is posted here - she is missing and presumed lost overboard. What fact says she went overboard or was trying to cross balconies?

Clodfobble 05-13-2008 10:42 PM

Witnesses, as quoted in multiple news articles via the authorities investigating.

tw 05-13-2008 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 453440)
Witnesses, as quoted in multiple news articles via the authorities investigating.

I only thumbed through links provided here. Where is the testimony that says they saw here climbing and saw her fall? Did not see that.

Aliantha 05-13-2008 11:04 PM

It there tw. I saw it in one of the links (possibly even the one in the OP).

lumberjim 05-13-2008 11:07 PM

Elspode 05-14-2008 12:00 AM

I think what makes everyone sort of look at this sideways is the part where the woman's mother says that Jorge told her he was just going to go on to Bermuda. Of course, we have no way of knowing if that's what he said, or if he did, how he said it, but the way it comes across in print makes him sound callous.

I'm sure he isn't.

lumberjim 05-14-2008 12:01 AM

he has no choice, but to go on. they're going to question him in bermuda. he's probably detained in a room.

tw 05-14-2008 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 453460)
The operator of the ship, Norwegian Cruise Line, said Tuesday that initial reports indicate that 46-year-old woman was attempting to climb from one exterior balcony to an adjoining balcony and subsequently fell overboard ...

That only says the husband said it happened. Or says that a few people saw it happened and did nothing to cause an immediate ship response. Or said that was the speculation from an initial crew investigation. Or says the ship immediately attempted a rescue. Or says she was sucked under into the propellers. Or says the husband killed her and threw her overboard.

When I am so critical of those who know without first learning facts, this is a perfect example. If many people saw her fall overboard, then the report continues on to describe how fast the alarm was sounded and how the ship immediately attempted a rescue. Nothing.

That 'nothing stated' is more damning evidence. Of what? Reports that are woefully insufficient - have too few words - will only be a source for those who routinely don't ask why.

When the article says so&so saw her fall. And says what that person did next (also essential to have a fact). And when that source says why she fell (which hand or foot slipped first), then we have a fact with supporting reasons why. Anything less is only hearsay. I don't even read how many feet she fell - which is also a necessary supporting fact.

Why do we know that article is embarrassingly useless? Too few words - but sufficient from some to convert hearsay into fact.

Well maybe some saw her fall as climbing from one balcony to another. But that MSNBC report obviously is not sufficient for anyone to know that necessary fact. That one sentence says we have assumed using speculation. Why could this poster also say there was no evidence that Saddam had WMDs? Unlike others, this poster does not convert statement (without supporting facts) into knowledge. I first need facts - not speculation from a vague sentence. No wonder it was so easy for others to say OJ was innocent.

Maybe she did fall while climbing between balconies. No longer relevant. More important are those who speculated conclusions only from a vague sentence. The word credibility aslo applies. What can we say based upon information provided? She is missing and presumed to have fallen overboard.

xoxoxoBruce 05-14-2008 12:11 AM

kick him in the cunt, LJ.

lumberjim 05-14-2008 12:12 AM

TheMercenary 05-14-2008 06:59 AM

Now that was funny.

Aliantha 05-14-2008 05:40 PM

Quote:

That only says the husband said it happened.
It doesn't say who said it happened. It said 'initial reports'. The fact that report is represented in plural form suggests that there was more than one 'report', so even if one report was from the husband, there must have been at least one more from someone else. If you want to be pedantic tw, at least do it properly or you start making yourself look stupid.

glatt 05-14-2008 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspode (Post 453498)
I think what makes everyone sort of look at this sideways is the part where the woman's mother says that Jorge told her he was just going to go on to Bermuda. Of course, we have no way of knowing if that's what he said, or if he did, how he said it, but the way it comes across in print makes him sound callous.

What do they expect him to do, jump off the ship and tread water in the middle of the ocean?

lumberjim 05-14-2008 08:43 PM

Quote:

On Wednesday night, the cruise line issued a new statement that said an "advanced safety and surveillance system operating on Norwegian Dawn, including cameras in the interior hallways and on the exterior sides of the ship, has confirmed that Mindy Jordan was in her stateroom alone at the time of the incident." The sequence of events was described as follows:
Jordan and Caputo dined at the Garden Cafe with the couple they were traveling with and then returned to their assigned adjacent staterooms at approximately 7:28 p.m.

At 7:36 p.m., Caputo left his stateroom and went to join his friends in their stateroom next door. From that moment on, Jordan was alone in her stateroom.

At 7:53 p.m., surveillance cameras from the exterior of the ship captured Jordan falling overboard from her balcony, straight into the water. Shortly thereafter, an emergency call was made from the friends' stateroom, and Caputo was seen exiting to seek help.

At 7:57 p.m., a man overboard announcement is made and the ship's crew began lifesaving operations, including the launch of two rescue boats.

monster 05-14-2008 11:52 PM

4 minutes is good, but that's still a lot of distance at that speed. :(

Clodfobble 05-15-2008 12:07 AM

Assuming she ever got to the surface in the first place. From that height, you'd plunge a good 8-10 feet underwater. It would be very easy to get disoriented, especially if drunk, and never even have a chance to float to the top and hope for rescue.

xoxoxoBruce 05-15-2008 01:12 AM

During the worse Nor'easter we've had in decades, just before dark. Odds are very bad, even for a strong swimmer, which I doubt she was.

tw 05-15-2008 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 453790)
Assuming she ever got to the surface in the first place. From that height, you'd plunge a good 8-10 feet underwater. It would be very easy to get disoriented, especially if drunk, and never even have a chance to float to the top and hope for rescue.

Her odds of survival get worse. First, falling from more than 30 feet into water can be deadly by itself. The ocean was only 54 degrees (last time I looked) meaning hypothermia would easily have overtaken her in what - well less than one hour. A nor’ easter was just starting to blow in meaning choppers could easily fly right over her and not see her in massively confused seas. And then those propellers are sucking in water to move the ship; could easily suck in a deeply submerged body. How long does it take just to turn a ship? 3 miles? 6 miles?

Most interesting are surveillance cameras outside the ship and a rescue response by two boats in only four minutes. Reports imply the ship's crew should be highly praised for their response. They had boats in the water before the ship could even turn around.

TheMercenary 05-15-2008 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw (Post 453806)
Most interesting are surveillance cameras outside the ship and a rescue response by two boats in only four minutes. Reports imply the ship's crew should be highly praised for their response. They had boats in the water before the ship could even turn around.

I must agree.

Note to self: do not climb on outside of ship while on cruise.

classicman 05-15-2008 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw View Post
Thats SOP for any ship of that size because of the immense turning radius. They also remain on course to retain a reference point for the rescue vehicles. They also use the navigational systems.

Flint 05-15-2008 08:29 AM

I think it's photoshopped.

footfootfoot 05-15-2008 06:02 PM

My sister was photoshopped on 9/11 you insensitve prick.

tw 05-15-2008 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 453843)
Thats SOP for any ship of that size because of the immense turning radius.

That was my point. Why repeat it?

Getting two rescue boats in the water in only four minutes is phenomenal - not SOP for most ships ten years ago. Exterior surveillance cameras are also new. I wonder if cameras could actually see her climbing outside the ship and therefore why she fell.

lumberjim 05-15-2008 07:04 PM

:::KICKS TW IN THE CUNT:::

Tree Fae 05-15-2008 07:14 PM

That is very true. I wiped out on a fancy dive when I was a kid and knocked the wind out of me. That was only a 4-5 drop and I hit the bottom of a 12 ft pool. I didn't think I was going to make it to the surface. I had a lifeguard pulling me out when I got close to the top.
I can't imagine dropping the distance she did and not going so deep that drowning was the only outcome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 453790)

lumberjim 05-15-2008 07:29 PM

they say she fell 60 feet to the water. i've jumped from 64, carefully landing feet first. it still hurt the soles of my feet. she most likely landed on her back and was knocked the fuck out on impact. blub blub blub.

poor jorge.