The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Terrier Breeds (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=19565)

busterb 02-17-2009 10:27 PM

Terrier Breeds

Anyone know what breed the Terrier is that's in Pet smart commercial?
My rat terrier is close to 14, plus I'm getting up there also. Might need a replacement for one of us someday. :bolt:

busterb 02-18-2009 06:52 PM

PetSmart generally uses dogs from our adoption partners in their
commercials. Unfortunately, we have no way of knowing the breed of dog
in that commercial.

wolf 02-18-2009 07:20 PM

If you mean the senior dog that gets pushed around in the shopping cart (just saw it today) and gets pushed around past a young yellow lab and a dal ... I think it looked like a rough coated Jack Russell.

morethanpretty 02-18-2009 07:34 PM

I don't know what kind of dog that is in the commercial. I do suggest you visit the local animal shelters and find a dog that you like from there. Keep your mind open on breed, think more about personality/size. Good luck!

busterb 02-18-2009 08:28 PM

Thanks wolf. I believe it's either a rough coated or broken coat Jack Russell. In add it looks a bit large for one though. MTP. I have a yard dog from shelter.
Not much choice around here.

wolf 02-19-2009 03:54 PM

I thought the basket looked smaller than the regular supermarket kind.

If the television adds ten inches, or whatever it's supposed to do, then it's a Jack. Otherwise, perhaps a wire-haired fox terrier, but clipped close instead of show cut?

wolf 02-19-2009 04:00 PM

Jack Russell.

When did they start calling them Parson Jack Russells?

Shawnee123 02-19-2009 05:47 PM

Jack Russels are high energy dogs. Very good dogs, but too high energy for me. They're cuter than snot, though.

be-bop 02-19-2009 06:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I know I'm biased as i have one but if you are into terriers try a Border Terrier not as psycho as a Jack Russell but as brave and loyal as they come who could not love this face

Shawnee123 02-19-2009 06:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Oh my word, how freaking cute.

Of course, I'm partial to Irish Wolfhounds. They have a terrier face...they're just really huge! They are not terriers...but those faces!

busterb 02-19-2009 10:46 PM

Quote:

I know I'm biased as i have one but if you are into terriers try a Border Terrier not as psycho as a Jack Russell but as brave and loyal as they come who could not love this face
Thanks. Do they have to be trimmed, clipped, or whatever?

DanaC 02-20-2009 04:49 AM

They're called Parson Jack Russells over here. Don't know how long that's been the case, but it was so when I was dog hunting about 11 years ago.

Sundae 02-20-2009 06:14 AM

Our dog was a Jack Russell/ Collie cross.
We got her from a local farm.

She could run all day, and in the summer holidays she often did.

Sadly, my brother chose her because she was the runt of the litter, and consequently the least forward (we were getting a dog because he was very afraid of them and my Mum feared it might affect his life - he would cry if one came near him). She was much loved, but had heart problems and diabetes and in the end had to be put down. Mum is sure this is because she was half the size of the other dogs which was probably a sign that she didn't receive proper nutrition in the womb.

Anyway, just an aside. She was a lovely dog and well suited to our family. And my brother, although he is very much a cat person like me, no longer cries when apporached by a dog.

TheMercenary 02-20-2009 06:29 AM

Quote:

The Parson Russell Terrier was recognized by the UK Kennel Club in 1990, followed by Australia and FCI countries, then American Kennel Club in 2001, as Parson Jack Russell Terrier and then in the USA as the Jack Russell Terrier, Because the name Parson Jack Russell was registered in the USA by a person who did not wish to relenquish their trade mark, the Kennel Clubs of the world had to "re-badge" the PJRT to PRT to accommodate this problem. So now the taller type of Russell is a Parson Russell (over 12") and the shorter version is a Jack Russell (10-12").

The Parson Russell Terrier is descended from early white-bodied foxing terriers used in the hunt field. At the end of the 19th Century, these dogs were drawn into the Kennel Club as "fox terriers," but their still-working antecedents were referred to as "Jack Russell" terriers throughout the 20th Century, in honor of the Rev. John "Jack" Russell, a noted fox hunter of the 19th Century "The Sporting Parson".

In time, Kennel Club Fox Terriers and working Jack Russell Terriers looked completely different, with fox terriers growing both larger in the chest and also having longer heads.

The name was changed to "Parson Russell" Terrier for the American Kennel Club because of a compromise with the Jack Russell Terrier Club of America. The rest of the world recognises Jack Russell and Parson Russell as 2 separate breeds.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parson_Russell_Terrier

Shawnee123 02-20-2009 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 536642)
They're called Parson Jack Russells over here. Don't know how long that's been the case, but it was so when I was dog hunting about 11 years ago.

Did you shoot one? :D

:lol2:

dar512 02-20-2009 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 536672)
Did you shoot one? :D

:lol2:

Great minds and all that. I was going to post the same thing until I saw yours.

Shawnee123 02-20-2009 09:53 AM

The greatest of minds. :)

wolf 02-20-2009 12:18 PM

She's British, so I was picturing her in elegantly tailored hunting pinks on the back of a bay gelding.

be-bop 02-20-2009 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by busterb (Post 536598)
Thanks. Do they have to be trimmed, clipped, or whatever?

No they are bred with a double coat and they have to be hand stripped,you can do it yourself but it takes a bit of time to get right.we take ours to the Dog Parlour once or twice a year.
cost is minimal about £30 twice a year.
Some people leave them shaggy looking but they get very hot in the summer unstripped

Undertoad 02-20-2009 05:02 PM

Here's a page with a very shaggy border terrier, before, during, and after handstripping:

http://www.munakennels.com/handstripping.html

They also have before and after of a cairn terrier and an irish terrier. It's actually kinda hilarious.

I like a shorthair dog because there's no maintenance, but I'm sure I could take a dog to a shop every 6 months.

DanaC 02-21-2009 05:00 AM

We had Westies when I was a kid. One of them had something wrong with his fur. We didn't know until we took him to have his undercoat stripped, and then it never grew back! He always looked slightly pink through the long white fur:P

[eta] looked even pinker when my bro and me died the two westies with food colouring ... didn't tell mum. Just dyed them while she was out and left them for her to find. One candyfloss pink, one mint green; both with a blue cross daubed on their foreheads and a helium balloon attached to each collar:)

TheMercenary 02-22-2009 11:02 AM

:lol2: Dana that is evil. I love it. What was her reaction?

Sundae 02-22-2009 11:42 AM

Quote:

Tina is well experienced in the art of handstripping a dog whether it be to get your dog ready for a show or to make your pet look the way it was intended.
Not by nature!

I have to admit how much better they look though. And I'm sure it's a relief to them too - it's just the wording made me go :eyebrow:

DanaC 02-22-2009 01:36 PM

@ merc. she was surprised. baffled at first. :P What we hadn't banked on was that the dye wouldn't wash back out... they stayed like that for about 6 or 7 weeks til it faded and grew out.

sweetwater 02-22-2009 01:52 PM

A dog with its coat is better protected from the sun than a dog who has been shaved down "to keep him cool", though I've worked with groomers and had to do it when owners demand it. I think mostly they don't want to be bothered with maintaining the coats, but say otherwise, thinking we'd believe it. *sigh* Stripping coats is mostly to keep them hard, as required by the standards, because clippering can make them grow back softer. Do what is easier for the dog if it is not going to be shown.

busterb 02-24-2009 08:34 PM

Border Terriers are like hens teeth in the south. I check online adds in most newspapers in my state and Neu awlins. + Don't think I'll ever pay $650 and up for a dog.

busterb 03-26-2009 07:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This mutt showed up a few days ago. Cute as hell. Young male, which seems to come and go. I've fed, petted and fixed a place for it to sleep.
Two people have called today and asked if mine. Not yet.

morethanpretty 03-26-2009 07:34 PM

Its adorable Buster!

sugarpop 03-26-2009 08:03 PM

awww, what a cute puppy!

My sister has always gotten a lion cut on her chow in the summer, because it's wicked humid and hot here during the summer. Last year her hair didn't grow back on her sides. it finally did grow back on one side, but the other side just has fuzz on it. :D

classicman 03-26-2009 08:38 PM

Now that you posted pics he's yours. There are rules ya know.

busterb 03-26-2009 11:15 PM

Last night he was gone. Today came back. Just turned on outside light and he's in box I fixed for bed. But it's raining, again. Weather hasn't been nice in south past day or so.

busterb 03-26-2009 11:42 PM

In this one, you can see his eyes.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3472/...6b5c87c7_b.jpg

xoxoxoBruce 03-26-2009 11:49 PM

He's a beauty, looks healthy and well taken care of though. Maybe he's from a family with a lot of kids and comes over for a rest. ;)
How old do you figure he is? Has he been neutered?

DanaC 03-27-2009 07:05 AM

He looks very well cared for. He is absolutely lovely. And he clearly feels comfortable and trusting of you.

[eta] I want to bite that little black nose. I am betting it'd taste of liquorice.

TheMercenary 03-27-2009 07:42 AM

Great looking dog. You need to go ahead and adopt him. :)

Trilby 03-27-2009 10:00 AM

you know what's weird? I just got a Jack Russel terrier (by accident) yesterday.

i've never had a dog...now I have this JR.

she is four and her name is Autumn. (she came already named0

I asked the Universe for a little black cat and I got a JR terrier. weird.

eta--dana! don't bite his nose!!

Shawnee123 03-27-2009 10:30 AM

Awww, cutie doggie.

Pico and ME 03-27-2009 11:53 AM

Bri, your Jack Russell will be a lot more fun and engaging than a kitty.

DanaC 03-27-2009 09:16 PM

Oh! You have a Jack Russell! They are such playful mischievous creatures. That's one of the breeds I considered when I was last puppyhunting.

Shawnee123 03-28-2009 09:19 AM

An old friend had a JR. They are QUITE playful. That dog was darling, but way too much energy for me. It never ever stopped bouncing off the walls, like a little pinball. I suspect it was probably more wired than average for the breed, though. They are really sweet.

sugarpop 03-28-2009 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pico and ME (Post 550110)
Bri, your Jack Russell will be a lot more fun and engaging than a kitty.

ummmm, I dunno. I love dogs, but cats can supply hours of entertainment. :D I love my kitties.

sugarpop 03-28-2009 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna (Post 550021)
you know what's weird? I just got a Jack Russel terrier (by accident) yesterday.

i've never had a dog...now I have this JR.

she is four and her name is Autumn. (she came already named0

I asked the Universe for a little black cat and I got a JR terrier. weird.

eta--dana! don't bite his nose!!

I wonder how that worked? :D

Jack Russels are great though. My brother has one. She has springs on her feet. :D

sugarpop 03-28-2009 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 549962)
Great looking dog. You need to go ahead and adopt him. :)

I'm with Merc. He's very cute and adorable. I would have to adopt him. But I suppose you could put an advertisement in the paper, just in case he belongs to someone.

xoxoxoBruce 03-28-2009 08:34 PM

But maybe he lives with kids and comes to Buster's for a rest. :haha:

busterb 03-28-2009 10:40 PM

Guess the little shit was just using my place for a crash pad, or someone picked him. Not seen for 2 days. Crap!

morethanpretty 03-28-2009 10:47 PM

Oh noes! Well buster, guess it just wasn't meant to be.

Shawnee123 03-28-2009 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by busterb (Post 550568)
Guess the little shit was just using my place for a crash pad, or someone picked him. Not seen for 2 days. Crap!

Awww, bummer. :( Maybe he'll be back.

sugarpop 03-29-2009 12:24 AM

:(

BrianR 03-29-2009 10:29 AM

Anyone wanting to adopt a Shih Tzu, spayed and shots, let me know. I'll post a pic later.

sugarpop 03-29-2009 11:15 AM

We need another medium sized guard dog. My sister's chow is getting on in age and she is starting to have some problems. We've (mostly I've) been thinking about what kind of dog we should get next. I would like a doberman or pit bill or another chow, maybe an akita. I just don't know. My sister wants a rotweiler I think.

BrianR 03-29-2009 01:24 PM

Rotties are great dogs. Chows can be tough to control. Any dog that is medium or larger with strong territorial instincts can be a good guard dog. My personal favorite is the German Shepherd Dog. Beautiful, intelligent and loving. Easily trained and controlled, good temperament and socially acceptable. What's not to love?

Shawnee123 03-29-2009 03:56 PM

I was thinking of a GS, too. They are beautiful, smart, and sweet. BrianR did you see the GS pic in lol cats... thread? They're so awesome. The ex and I used to dogsit our friends' German Shepherd (good old Minga, RIP girl) and she was about the best dog I ever knew, besides Zeke the Wonder Dog.

Undertoad 03-29-2009 04:30 PM

GSDs are beautiful. A lot of them have bad hips though.

Shawnee123 03-29-2009 09:49 PM

yeah, Minga did. Poor old girl, we'd help her get onto the couch, when she was older.

busterb 05-14-2009 09:09 PM

Well the little shit is in my kitchen, now and Dottie doesn't know how to take this. Sitting beside me now.
Guess I'll step in something nice tomorrow. After Dr. visit about my knees I'm too tired to try to bath the little shit.

xoxoxoBruce 05-15-2009 12:29 AM

Any signs he's had a collar on him?

Juniper 05-15-2009 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 550798)
I was thinking of a GS, too. They are beautiful, smart, and sweet. BrianR did you see the GS pic in lol cats... thread? They're so awesome. The ex and I used to dogsit our friends' German Shepherd (good old Minga, RIP girl) and she was about the best dog I ever knew, besides Zeke the Wonder Dog.

I have a German Shepherd. His name is Maverick. Have I ever mentioned him here?
http://www.wayswriter.com/pam/mavsm.jpg

He's awesome. He was 4 when we adopted him, 2 years ago. Had some emotional issues, didn't like women, but he's really come around. He's sweet and gentle and sensitive and playful and we love him to bits!

http://www.wayswriter.com/pam/mav11-26.jpg

DanaC 05-15-2009 02:59 AM

Oh post more, post more! I love Maverick. He's gorgeous. He's one of my favourite doggie-dwellars.

I particularly like the snippy snap jaws on that top pic lol. That reminds me of Pil when he's trying it on. Usually as we're leaving for a walk when he thinks I;m not going fast enough/in the wrong direction. This often precipitates a stern conversation about etiquette and whether or not he'll live to see another day if he shots at me like that again.

He also does snappy jaws when he's playing. I try to catch his nose and he does snappy jaws pretending to try and get my hand. (there's no force to it. He's just swinging his jaws about pretending to snap). Looks for all the world like laughing :P

classicman 05-15-2009 07:34 AM

My what big ears you have...

He's a nice lookin dog!

busterb 05-15-2009 11:56 AM

Well, the little shit had run of house last night. So, only a few shoes moved around, chewed the label off a 100 pack of DVDs. No crap on floor that I've found. Yet!!
So We need a name once again from the Dellars.
Shelia is fine, been doing some spring cleaning on her tunnel to downunder.