The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   August 3, 2007: Dog swims 4km daily to feed her pups (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14969)

Undertoad 08-03-2007 08:25 AM

August 3, 2007: Dog swims 4km daily to feed her pups

http://cellar.org/2007/dogpups2.jpg

Spluch notices this awesome Ananova story that must be repeated for a Friday IotD. If the story around yesterday's shot saddened you, and sometimes an IotD will, today's will brighten you.

Huahua the dog pictured above, is mother to a litter of pups. But the location of her litter was unfortunate; when the water level of the nearby river rose, her spot became an island. With no source of food.

So Huahua now swims - off the island to get her food, back onto it to nurse the litter.

http://cellar.org/2007/dogpups1.jpg

Quote:

Huahua swims 1.2 km to the island every day to nurse her four babies. Then she returns to the Changjiang River, following the flow of the water, to swim another 1.1 km to another part of the city to feed herself.

Each day Huahua does the whole journey twice, once in the morning, around 7 am, and again at 7 pm, at which point she stays with her pups on the island and returns to the city the next morning.

Huang Pingren, a pensioner who swims to the island everyday, says he discovered the amazing dog a few weeks ago. "I was resting on the island, and found the unprotected litter of dogs. Then in the evening, around 7 pm, I saw a dog swimming to the bank and then running to the newborns."

Two days ago, the water rose again, and the mother has moved her children to a higher point on the island, reports Chongqing Evening News.
Judging by the map, she has to take the flow of the river into consideration in order to reach her targets. But she has figured it out. Smart.

http://cellar.org/2007/dogpups3.jpg

skysidhe 08-03-2007 09:31 AM

Amazing story.

I'm already poking holes in it wondering why someone doesn't rescue them.

So I'm geussing there isn't any canned alpo anyone could take them.

StereoMike 08-03-2007 09:32 AM

Seems to be a chinese story.
So I guess they will land on a dish sooner or later.

Uisge Beatha 08-03-2007 09:43 AM

Wow, that Huahua must drink some Chi to doggy paddle so much.

jester 08-03-2007 10:35 AM

That's truly inspiring - one can only hope she & they do not end up on the late nite menu.

freshnesschronic 08-03-2007 10:41 AM

Yes, all Asian/Chinese people eat dogs, let's link the two in this article, OK! Dicks.

Flint 08-03-2007 10:52 AM

"Hey, it's just some dogs..."

ToastyKen 08-03-2007 11:01 AM

I'm actually wondering what the dogs are eating..

freshnesschronic 08-03-2007 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 371137)

But the jokes were directed toward Chinese people, dumbfuck.

Flint 08-03-2007 11:28 AM

But it would have been okay, according to you, if it had been black people.

You continue to be way the ƒuck off in left field, when it comes to "cultural bias" ...

Shawnee123 08-03-2007 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 371137)

:notworthy:

Bravo!!!!

Sheldonrs 08-03-2007 12:19 PM

BFD. Just some bitch in the mountains popping out puppies and leaving them alone while she goes to town to dine and dash.
Change her name to Darla Jean and you have a Maury episode.

:D

barefoot serpent 08-03-2007 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheldonrs (Post 371172)
BFD. Just some bitch in the mountains popping out puppies and leaving them alone while she goes to town to dine and dash.
Change her name to Darla Jean and you have a Maury episode.

:D

or maybe Jerry Springer-Spaniel?

Sheldonrs 08-03-2007 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barefoot serpent (Post 371175)
or maybe Jerry Springer-Spaniel?

LOL and GROAN all rolled into one!!!

jester 08-03-2007 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freshnesschronic (Post 371129)
Yes, all Asian/Chinese people eat dogs, let's link the two in this article, OK! Dicks.

Maintain Low Tones! No need to get snippy/snappy!

BigV 08-03-2007 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uisge Beatha (Post 371090)
Wow, that Huahua must drink some Chi to doggy paddle so much.

No, no, no, no.

Chai is a drink, Chi is one's energy. The reason she's called Huahua is that all her chi is gone, spent on swimming.

Gravdigr 08-03-2007 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Flint
Quote:

Originally Posted by freshnesschronic (Post 371149)
But the jokes were directed toward Chinese people, dumbfuck.

Maybe he should have said "Hey, it's just a biyatch." More acceptable to ya Chronic?

HungLikeJesus 08-03-2007 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freshnesschronic (Post 371129)

freshnesschronic - I'm not sure why that upset you so much. This is from the Asian Animal Protection Network:

We see no difference between pig eating and dog eating. The degree of objection lies in the methods of rearing, transport and slaughter rather than in the choice of species.

The popularity of dog eating is currently increasing at a huge rate - it is evolving rapidly from its traditions as a cottage industry. Now it is no longer a case of a few peasant farmers breeding a bitch once a year and taking the grown puppies to the market for a little extra pocket money. Huge dog farms are being set up using modern scientific factory farming methods.

[~snip~]

There are currently strong campaigns proceeding against the use of St Bernard dogs for food and against dog eating in Korea where the methods of killing are egregious. These campaigns are a good way to start to tackle the more general problem of dog eating. [And dog eating is a good way to start to tackle the more general problem of the eating of non-human animals].
Unfortunately, much of the anti-dog meat campaigning is tainted by racism - as, indeed, is the resistance to the anti-dog meat campaigning.

Notice that the AAPN is only against the eating of "non-human animals."

Uisge Beatha 08-03-2007 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV
Chai is a drink, Chi is one's energy. The reason she's called Huahua is that all her chi is gone, spent on swimming.

:o Oops! Yeah, I flubbed that one. I did inadvertently set you up anyway, BigV. Yours is a good one, too. :lol:

freshnesschronic 08-03-2007 04:57 PM

I just called out the dumb jokes on stereotyping the Chinese to make that mutt into some platter.
Yes, some Asians eat dogs. I do not eat dogs myself neither does my family. So I don't like it when those jokes come around because in America it is unacceptable to eat dogs and that's why those jokes are made. It is looked down on, and I wish not to be looked down on. Not all Asians eat dogs, some do, but not all and I just don't like those jokes.

Clodfobble 08-03-2007 05:22 PM

Quote:

I just called out the dumb jokes on stereotyping the Black and Asian cultures to make that mutt into some money-making prizefighter.
Yes, some Asians enjoy dogfighting. I do not fight dogs myself neither does my family. So I don't like it when those jokes come around because in America it is unacceptable to fight dogs and that's why those jokes are made. It is looked down on, and I wish not to be looked down on. Not all Asians fight dogs, some do, but not all and I just don't like those jokes.

xoxoxoBruce 08-03-2007 05:30 PM

1~ The dog in question is in China.
2~ Chinese people sometimes eat dogs.
3~ You are not Chinese.
4~ Shut the fuck up.

Sheldonrs 08-03-2007 05:47 PM

All this drama from a swimming dog?! Imagine if the damn thing could fly!

Uisge Beatha 08-03-2007 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheldonrs
All this drama from a swimming dog?! Imagine if the damn thing could fly!

No, the fly was on Tuesday. This is the swimming dog, as opposed to the swimming fox from three weeks ago. Let's not even get started with the swimming pool from two weeks ago. :rollanim:

xoxoxoBruce 08-03-2007 08:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This appears to be what was dry ground for the dogs, prior to the flood.
The Changjiang River, also know as the Yangtze, is where the Three Gorges Dam project is being built. This spot in Chongqing city, will be a couple km upstream from the new reservoir.
Maybe they'll be Reservoir Dogs.

HungLikeJesus 08-04-2007 12:26 AM

Bruce, you had to work for that one, but I think it was worth it.

StereoMike 08-04-2007 03:52 AM

@Chronic: You know what, funny guy? My wife is chinese.
So don't try to explain the world to me. Chinese eat really strange stuff, and I eat whatever I get served. I once ate chicken feet to impress my parents-in-law.

Weird Harold 08-04-2007 04:30 AM

Thanks for the laugh Bruce.

Shawnee123 08-04-2007 08:11 AM

fresh is the grand poobah of all that is cultural bias and when it is acceptable and when it is not. The sooner you all realize that, the sooner we can live in perfect harmony.
;)

freshnesschronic 08-04-2007 08:23 AM

Yeah gang up, gang up it's so fun when it's 10 against one.

Sorry for having an opposing viewpoint. Sorry for being offended at the jokes. I mean Dagney got all uppity about some jokes a coupla months ago and she up and left and everyone grieved and I say that one little sarcastic comment and everyone can tell me I'm a douchebag? Ok.

Just after reading the Ibram and Merc Identity thread, can't all of you accept my cultural life experiences? You all know nothing about anything I've experienced directly so please think before you tell me how I should feel about related issues. Here let me say this controversial statement: I will never listen to "this is how you should feel about race" advice from white people in America. Because frankly if you are not white then you have no idea what a minority's privileges are. Please, read here. http://whiteprivilege.com/definition/
Here's another one, see the "Daily effects of white privilege" subtitle http://seamonkey.ed.asu.edu/~mcisaac...Unpacking.html
Another one. http://www.tolerance.org/news/article_tol.jsp?id=722
White privilege definitely exists as much as Flint or anyone will try to say it doesn't.

So when I tell you all to "Shut the fuck up" when telling me how to feel about racial issues, just deal with it, right Bruce?

Shawnee123 08-04-2007 08:45 AM

You are SO convinced that you are the only one who has ever dealt with any sort of prejudice. Ironically, any comments you have experienced here have been a direct result of your insistence of such. You do NOT know my history, my heritage, or my experiences as you do not know that of the other Cellarites you believe are "ganging up on you."
LIghten the hell up, or your life is going to be very very miserable. You are not so downtrodden as you believe, as you want us all to believe. K?

freshnesschronic 08-04-2007 09:43 AM

Me lighten the hell up? When you Shawnee went into a rage after my opinion on Vick?

Shawnee123 08-04-2007 09:49 AM

A rage? You haven't seen rage.
Stay in your league, dude. You've become tiresome.

freshnesschronic 08-04-2007 09:52 AM

Am I not worthy of your holy time?

I can see all the cheap shot comical responses by leechers now: "Ehhhh, frankly, no, sorry! Come back tomorrow, ok? :D"

DanaC 08-04-2007 09:53 AM

Fresh, m'dear: I think you may find that your average white woman knows a thing or to about prejudice.

I don't know wha tthe pay gap is in the States, but in the UK there is a 17% differential between male and female wages. The average woman can expect to earn 17% less than her average male counterpart, across her lifetime.

You have mentioned many times that we are generally a bunch of oldies on here who don't really understand what it's like to be young...in that case, use your own logic and consider that many of the female dwellars grew up in a world that was a great deal more sexist than it is now. There will be women on this forum (I am sure) who experienced the unfairness of having to help in the house with mum, whilst their brothers didn't have to. There may even be women in the Cellar whose educational options were vastly reduced purely because they were female, and whose brothers were expected to be the ones who would go off and get educated and be a success in life.

Being white is one of a series of advantages that you can be born with in America. Being wealthy is another, being healthy likewise. You are more likely to be born wealthy if you are white than if you are black.....but being white does not guarantee you won't be poor. Do you think poor people are not discriminated against? Looked down on? Called horrible names? (White Trash in the states , chavs in the UK) treated as if they are somehow unclean? How many well to do families would be pleased if their child came home with a boyfriend/girlfriend from a trailer park?

You make many assumptions about what people here have, or have not, experienced.

freshnesschronic 08-04-2007 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 371409)
How many well to do families would be pleased if their child came home with a boyfriend/girlfriend from a trailer park?

You make many assumptions about what people here have, or have not, experienced.

O RLY? If the trailer trash girl had a heart of gold I'd try her on for size. I'm sorry it comes off as I'm assuming but in terms of race, no white American can say they know what it's like to be a minority in America. They just don't. Have any clue. Let's end the idea there because it will just get messy and frankly I don't think I have enough minority Dwellars to help me justify against the majority white forum. I remember breakingnews being Chinese, nappyboy2007 being black, but yeah I can't name any other ethnic Dwellar. And I'm not going to ducky for backup.

DanaC 08-04-2007 10:15 AM

Quote:

I'm sorry it comes off as I'm assuming but in terms of race, no white American can say they know what it's like to be a minority in America.
I disagree.

Quote:

O RLY? If the trailer trash girl had a heart of gold I'd try her on for size.
Well that's swell and lovely of you, but there are things that mark someone out as being from a particular socio-economic background as surely as skin colour can indicate race. You may be perfectly accepting of that girl, but many people wouldn't. You may be perfectly happy employing someone who is from that background, but many wouldn't. Most states and cities will have areas that are so known and despised/feared that to send a resume to an employer, with that as your address is a pointless exercise.

Socio-economic background can affect your accent, your use of language, your educational opportunities and even your vocabulary. Yes, ethnic background is a factor, but it is not the only factor. Race prejudice is not the only prejudice.

Do you think someone in a wheelchair has no idea what it's like to be discriminated against? What about a gay man? A lesbian?

Shawnee123 08-04-2007 10:19 AM

Trailer trash. Nice.
I give up.

YellowBolt 08-04-2007 10:38 AM

hi freshnesschronic i am asian
you are a tool

DanaC 08-04-2007 10:45 AM

hahahahaha. Oh fuck that really made me laugh.

Uisge Beatha 08-04-2007 10:45 AM

:rotflol:

freshnesschronic 08-04-2007 11:53 AM

sure

xoxoxoBruce 08-04-2007 12:04 PM

1~ We talk about eating the IOtD almost without exception.
2~ This IOtD being in China, it would folow that it would be Chinese eating it.
3~ The fact some Chinese actually eat dogs is coincidental.
4~ Trying to drag the discussion into a percieved slight of all Orientals is assinine.
And guess what...
Quote:

All Jews are cheap. All Jews have big noses. All Asians can't drive. All blacks steal. All Mexicans are lazy. All black men have big dicks. All white men are pedophiles. All black women have big asses. All white women secretly want to fuck black men. All white people are serial killers. All Poles are stupid. All Irish are drunks. All Puerto Ricans carry knives. All British have bad teeth. All Arabs are terrorists. All French are cowards. No seriously, all French are cowards. All Germans hate Jews. All Japanese carry cameras. All Asians are good at math. All Chinese eat dogs. All Russians drink vodka. All British women are ugly. All Israeli women are hot. No seriously, all Israeli women are hot. All Greek men are gay. All Indian people smell like curry. All South Africans are racists.
Did I miss anyone?

Oh yes, and fat people use more than their share of soap.

spudcon 08-04-2007 12:05 PM

Gee, I thought we were here to discuss the picture of the bitch at the top of the page.

Shawnee123 08-04-2007 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 371451)
And guess what... Did I miss anyone?

Yeah, you forgot about all Native Americans being alcoholics. :rolleyes:

Jeboduuza 08-04-2007 12:19 PM

You forgot women jokes.
All women belong in the kitchen.
Sorry but those are so funny to me.

Shawnee123 08-04-2007 12:22 PM

ooh, ooh, what about the other side of my heritage: Swiss. What do we get to say about that? I've heard boring, but wait a minute...I'm not boring. I know, we keep really good time and make really cool knives. All of us. Oh, and I think we must be good at banking.

Shawnee123 08-04-2007 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeboduuza (Post 371455)
All women belong in the kitchen.

Barefoot

Clodfobble 08-04-2007 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123
Yeah, you forgot about all Native Americans being alcoholics.

Pssh... alcoholics with gambling addictions, duh...

Shawnee123 08-04-2007 01:11 PM

D'oh!

Sundae 08-04-2007 03:35 PM

British women are ugly?
Blimey, I'd never heard that before, but apparently it's well known enough to be a cliche.

Shit. I'm ugly, can't cook and have bad teeth. I wouldn't let me out of the kitchen either.

HungLikeJesus 08-04-2007 03:40 PM

"All white men are pedophiles."

That's a relief. I thought it was just me.

Grismar 08-06-2007 12:46 AM

Don't feed the troll (dogs or otherwise)

And a troll he is, because there was no good reason to get angry. The joke that was made was that any dog, all alone without its owner stands a fair chance of being turned into a snack, in a country like China.

Not all Asians have to eat dogs for this to be a clear and present danger, so the joke in no way implied anything about -all- Asians (or all Chinese for that matter). There's just a sufficient number of Chinese that do eat them to warrant the joke. The joke wasn't even about the Asians. It was about people going all teary-eyed over this cute pet, jerking them back into harsh reality with the most bleak statement you could possibly make about the dog, which you may or may not think is funny. That's humour for you.

Also, for someone who proudly announces that his country of origin has cockfighting for a national sport (what is it anyway, the Philippines? Thailand? Cambodia?) you sure do get riled up over eating dogs. I would assume anyone with such an utter disrespect for animals would make a recipe suggestion sooner than get all fiery about it.

Anyway, anyone know any jokes about Asian folk lacking a complete sense of humour, or are we dealing with a singularly humourless specimen here? Alternatively, Fresh, perhaps you want to allude to my being under the influence of drugs (I do live near Amsterdam) or suggest some horrible STD is affecting my judgement (we did legalize prostitution). Perhaps it's something in the cheese, or did my head get hit by a windmill? Or did you actually learn something and do you realize that you making jokes about a stereotype about my society doesn't really have to affect me personally, unless it's actually right on the mark?

freshnesschronic 08-06-2007 12:51 AM

Sorry Grismar. You can block me, you know.

Welcome to the Cellar :D!
But I think you might be a clone of someone....a sockpuppet or something.

DucksNuts 08-06-2007 05:12 AM

Meh, I dont think Grismar is a sock puppet.

I tend to think that any of the regular dwellars with *that* to say, would stand loud and proud and say it under their regular name.

Anyways Fresh, I think you over reacted a tad, it seemed kinda OTT.

Fact is, *some* Asians do eat dog and its an IotD.

Welcome Grismar :D

DanaC 08-06-2007 06:21 AM

It's no more an attack on Asians, than a comment about a pig being likely to end up as bacon is an attack on westerners. Plenty of cultures find our use of pork meat distasteful. Plenty of cultures keep pigs as family pets (after all they are, apparently, as intelligent as dogs). Personally, the idea of dogs being used for meat is appalling to me...but that's only because I'm from a culture that sees them as pets and workers only. The worst thing you can actually say about those cultures which eat dog, is that the farming and slaughter methods are often very cruel...Take a quick look at battery farmed chickens or veal calves and you'll see we are far from guiltless in this area ourselves.

Nice to have you on board Grismar *smiles*

TheMercenary 08-06-2007 09:38 AM

So being a white dude born and raised in Harlem makes you privileged? Hmmmm... I will have to think about that one. Being an white guy trying to get service in downtown Washington D.C. at the local KFC gets me special treatment like any other customer? Hmmmmm....

Being an illegal immigrant who is having a baby in the local hospital gets me a free bill but the white chick down the street who has no insurance gets hounded by bill collectors and has her credit ruined is privilge? Hmmmmm....

Being a white Sgt. in the Army with an all black Senior NCO staff will get you that next great job because you work so hard for it? Hmmm....

Here is a great book to read:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...12284657&itm=1

and another:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...90626211&itm=1

Edit: And from todays news we have another example of "white privilige": http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2007/aug/...line-05sgfcol/

freshnesschronic 08-06-2007 10:01 AM

Yes, yes, and yes, Merc.
Here's an example: People stick up their noses when a bunch of Mexicans walk into a grocery store and have a slight accent. They are automatically labeled illegals even if their family has been there for 3 generations and the people say "Ugh, they are in America they should speak English well, ughhhhh." Or what about if they didn't have any accent, some people would treat them differently too, "Oh, you speak English so well, you're so well spoken :)" well he's not a monkey or parrot to be trained he's a goddamn man like anyone else. And here's the inverse: when speaking Spanish a white man it is totally acceptable for him to speak with a disgusting American accent and throw in "light-o" and "el hammer." Why is that acceptable? White privilege.

Here's some more good reads for everyone
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...15951807&itm=1
Actually just search white privilege and you'll get good hits!

I know about this book from my anthropology class. Many of you will not understand this idea of white privilege and deny its existence, that's ok, because many many of my fellow students were confused when this topic was brought up and were like "I don't know what she's (my professor) talking about, 'Hasta La Vista Baby' doesn't have any hidden racism in there."

Flint 08-06-2007 10:10 AM

freshness, you should check out "Lies My History Teacher Told Me" ...

Great book, plenty of material about the overt eurocentricism in our American History textbooks.

TheMercenary 08-06-2007 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freshnesschronic (Post 371849)
Yes, yes, and yes, Merc.
Here's an example: People stick up their noses when a bunch of Mexicans walk into a grocery store and have a slight accent. They are automatically labeled illegals even if their family has been there for 3 generations and the people say "Ugh, they are in America they should speak English well, ughhhhh." Or what about if they didn't have any accent, some people would treat them differently too, "Oh, you speak English so well, you're so well spoken :)" well he's not a monkey or parrot to be trained he's a goddamn man like anyone else. And here's the inverse: when speaking Spanish a white man it is totally acceptable for him to speak with a disgusting American accent and throw in "light-o" and "el hammer." Why is that acceptable? White privilege.

Here's some more good reads for everyone
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...15951807&itm=1
Actually just search white privilege and you'll get good hits!

I know about this book from my anthropology class. Many of you will not understand this idea of white privilege and deny its existence, that's ok, because many many of my fellow students were confused when this topic was brought up and were like "I don't know what she's (my professor) talking about, 'Hasta La Vista Baby' doesn't have any hidden racism in there."

The problem is that none of the examples you have given actually equate into this idea of "White privilege". The concept is about as valid as a made up holiday.