The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Diz (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=30399)

Sundae 09-10-2014 03:56 AM

Diz

I've contacted every cat charity I can find on the Internet. None of them taken cats in for short term foster. In fact out of the thirteen I've contacted, four have said they have no capacity at all, not even for people wanting to surrender their cats.

Dogs, yes. It seems dogs are a part of the family and the charities involved recognise this. Cats, no. If you can't look after your cat you're going to need to give it away. After all, you can always get another one.

If you are escaping domestic abuse or over 60, yes. You can also get your cat fostered. As usual I am flying under the radar.

And at present, even if I found a vet who would agree to put him down, rather than go through the horror of being rehomed for his looks then returned for his behaviour, I can't even afford it.

Not that I want the boy dead. I just worry so much about his future and also my own; how I'd feel coming back in December, wondering if he was still out there.
This is occupying my every waking thought right now, and I'm awake far too long from worrying. I have six days now to sort this out and no idea how I am going to.

And no, I do not know anyone who can take him. I tried that before imoved up here, and it's not like I've met anyone up here who can or would either.

limey 09-10-2014 04:16 AM

The behaviour issue is spraying indoors?

Sundae 09-10-2014 04:24 AM

Not always using his litter tray even when spotless. For either.
Chewing cardboard/ paper/ cables.
Shouting loudly at the walls For milk, or sometimes at insects out of reach, or sometimes for no reason at all.
He's stopped biting now, but he still like to play kamikaze death cat, where he can claw for no reason.
Needing to have his nails trimmed.
Stealing food.
Wanting constant attention and warmth.

All of the above will be exacerbated by leaving the only person he's had a one on one relationship with. His breeder must have had over 20 cats, but he was still distressed when he left. But he's been with me eight years now, and even the years spent living with Mum barely touched his devotion to me. If I was in the room she may as well have been a worming tablet.

limey 09-10-2014 04:32 AM

Thanks for the clarification. Am researching as best I can from Kazakhstan.

monster 09-10-2014 06:15 AM

will do what I can later today, I have a few cat people friends in the area

DanaC 09-10-2014 06:19 AM

Nice one monster.

I've asked Janet - she is going to see if any of her cat lover friends are able to help.

Unfortunately, I don't know many cat people! They're mostly doggy types :P

Undertoad 09-10-2014 07:00 AM

I've asked my friend in Harrogate but she already has a cat

limey 09-10-2014 10:11 AM

Pls see suggestion in PM, Sundae

Sundae 09-12-2014 04:43 AM

Thank you to everyone everywhere.
Diz will be going back to the lovely lady who had him while I was in hospital. St Anne's are contacting Adult Social Services to cover the cost.

This has taken a full week of hair-pulling out to organise, with the only real effort being made to help me coming from here. Oh and Mum of course, who got a flavour of what I was up against when she spoke to the social care team at St James ("well surely she can put him anywhere?" and "she still has plenty of time to sort this out")

Thanks again for your kindness.

DanaC 09-12-2014 04:48 AM

That's brilliant news Sundae!

I know you contacted pretty much every charity in the north about this. because two of the charities I spoke to said: is that the lady from Otley? Yes, yes it is.

Well done. You've climbed the mountain. I know it was fucking hard to do.

Sundae 09-12-2014 05:08 AM

Hahaha, one of the places answered my email asking, Is this about the Singapura? :)

DanaC 09-12-2014 05:18 AM

hahahahahahaha

glatt 09-12-2014 05:25 AM

That's great news.

And wtf is Singapura?

Sundae 09-12-2014 05:26 AM

It's a cat breed. One that Diz is inflicted with.

infinite monkey 09-12-2014 06:21 AM

Great news!

fargon 09-12-2014 06:26 AM

That is great news Sundae, I hope Diz Kitty does well in his temporary home.

Aliantha 09-12-2014 06:37 AM

Excellent! Didn't i tell you it would all work out?? :)

limey 09-12-2014 06:42 AM

OMG I an SO pleased to see this! [Hard-nosed Limey sheds a tear].

classicman 09-12-2014 09:37 AM

:)

BigV 09-12-2014 11:03 AM

Excellent news, just excellent. :thumbsup:

Gravdigr 09-12-2014 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 909431)
And wtf is Singapura?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 909432)
It's a cat breed. One that Diz is inflicted with.

Do try to keep up.

:p:

Gravdigr 09-12-2014 02:21 PM

Glad you got this part worked out, Sundae! One less thing to worry about.:thumb:

Sundae 09-12-2014 02:23 PM

Damn, I meant afflicted.
I was debating whether to write inflicted on me, or afflicted with and seem to have conflated the two.

BigV 09-12-2014 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 909484)
Glad you got this part worked out, Sundae! One less thing to worry about.:thumb:

"One fewer things to worry about."

Do try to keep up.:rtfm:

I kid, I kid.

Sundae 11-08-2014 04:49 PM

Diz is dead.
Put down in care after an illness and a stroke.

No strokes from me; he died by injection on Monday. My precious rehab too important to interrupt.
I didn't know when I told them not to tell me how he was, back in September.
I thought I might be bothered with tales of sniffles while I was trying to give us a future.

Instead my only success, my only good thing died with a stranger.

I know I wrote him in a bad light. So often.
But my second purchase out of rehab was catfood (1st was my bus ticket)

He died without me and how can I forgive that?
Nothing's right I'm torn.

infinite monkey 11-08-2014 05:07 PM

oh my god, sundae I'm so sorry. I got a sharp pain in my heart when I read this post. I'm so very sad for you. Please forgive yourself. You will heal.

I just wish I knew what to say. I'm so very fucking sorry. :mecry:

eta: please take care of yourself. Please...

BigV 11-08-2014 06:01 PM

That's very sad Sundae, I'm so sorry to hear this. :comfort:

Of course there are more good things in your life, even if you can't perceive them now, they're here, they'll be here when you're ready. I'm really sorry Sunday. RIP Diz.

glatt 11-08-2014 06:32 PM

I'm so very sorry Sundae.

You did nothing even remotely wrong, don't beat yourself up. Be kind to yourself.

orthodoc 11-08-2014 06:48 PM

Sundae, I'm so sorry. I'd have hoped the people caring for Diz would have understood the difference between sniffles and serious and let you know what was happening. You couldn't have foreseen this. Please, as glatt says, be kind to yourself. So very sorry.

infinite monkey 11-08-2014 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 913805)

I know I wrote him in a bad light. So often.
But my second purchase out of rehab was catfood

And this? I can't stop thinking about this. Of course you loved him and of course you wrote of his cat antics. That's what cats DO, that's what cats ARE...and to us cat lovers your writings of him were really funny. I don't know how many times I laughed and compared him to Toonces or Gaines (the not at all mild mannered fellas) or even Taj and Madison (the mild mannered girl and boy).

They all have their own personalities and they can be so annoying, then so loving...and usually very funny. You loved him, and he loved you. That's cat heaven right there. The only bad thing is we don't get to have them forever, and it hurts tons, I know.

I hope you're doing OK I keep thinking about this. Hang in there, will you?

Clodfobble 11-08-2014 10:57 PM

I think Diz knew you as well as you knew him. Animals sometimes have a calm wisdom that we lack, and I know he wouldn't have wanted you to feel badly about how things worked out. Honestly, I don't think you'd be feeling any better about it if you had been there. That poisonous part of our brains that lies to us would have just looked for another way you were at fault. So ignore that instinct, and try to free yourself to mourn him without what ifs or should haves.

RIP Diz.

Big Sarge 11-09-2014 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae (Post 913805)
My precious rehab too important to interrupt.

I thought I might be bothered with tales of sniffles while I was trying to give us a future.

I am sorry to sound harsh, but your rehab is a hell of a lot more important than a cat. I don't mean to hurt you. I only want you to realize you mean far more to everyone and your recovery should be your goal. Sundae, I love you and your health far outweighs a cat.

DanaC 11-09-2014 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 913830)
I think Diz knew you as well as you knew him. Animals sometimes have a calm wisdom that we lack, and I know he wouldn't have wanted you to feel badly about how things worked out. Honestly, I don't think you'd be feeling any better about it if you had been there. That poisonous part of our brains that lies to us would have just looked for another way you were at fault. So ignore that instinct, and try to free yourself to mourn him without what ifs or should haves.

RIP Diz.

This bears repeating. It's so true.

Aliantha 11-09-2014 03:47 AM

So sorry darling. There are no words really. Just be kind to yourself. Now his cat spirit will be watching over you, and peeing in your room still too probably. xxx

fargon 11-09-2014 06:26 AM

Im sorry Sundae. Diz was a good kitty, and will be missed.

Gravdigr 11-09-2014 03:59 PM

Oh Sundae. I'm so sorry.

:sniff:

:blackr:

Excuse me, I have to find Slick and hug him longtime.

classicman 11-09-2014 08:00 PM

Sundae - I am SO SORRY. I know all too well how much pets become a part of us.
*BUT* this was NOT YOUR FAULT. Things happen for a reason and perhaps the reason he was with another so that you could focus on your recover and his issues would not hamper you. The timing is too convenient. He knew you loved him, everyone knew that. In some odd way, maybe this was something he did for you.

Hugs to you.

Gravdigr 11-10-2014 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 913884)
In some odd way, maybe this was something he did for you.

:sniff:, again.

Lola Bunny 11-10-2014 07:20 PM

So sorry, Sundae. :sniff:

lumberjim 11-10-2014 10:54 PM

Sorry, hunny

Big Sarge 11-12-2014 07:11 PM

Sundae, I am very sorry if I seem indifferent or even cruel. I don't have the anthropomorphic views that so many on here have. What I was hoping to get across was how your health should be the priority.

I am sorry. It's the way I feel

Sundae 11-13-2014 02:54 PM

Sarge you were not either. And thanks to everyone.

I seems to be using the tools they gave me in rehab to hurt people.
Not liking myself much right now. So, soz and all that.

BigV 11-13-2014 09:41 PM

orly?

Who are you hurting?

you lost your beloved cat. that's gonna leave a mark. your family of choice here makes allowances, even that crusty old grouch Big Sarge. I know I don't feel hurt by you, but then, I don't speak for the others here... and I'm famously insensitive to certain nuances, so, maaaaybe I'm just missing stuff. If you've hurt me and I've missed it, give me another chance, will ya? I'll pay more attention this time. Meanwhile, give yourself a break, you've had a great loss that will take time to recover from.

xoxoxoBruce 11-13-2014 11:55 PM

You ain't missing anything Big V, nobody's scared of Sundae. She's not capable of grievous wounding, at best minor abrasion. :haha:

Sundae 12-24-2014 08:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the container I received Diz's ashes in (the photo is not clear, it's a cylinder of a wood full of bluebells)
I make no apologies for carrying it with me, there was a genuine reason it travelled.
Now I'm faced with wondering where to scatter the boy, given that he was born and adopted as an indoor kitty. May keep him a while, while I think about it. I was his home in the same way he was mine. I wanted him with me when I wanted to die recently.

But anyway this paeon is to my Mum.
As discussed recently it costs quite a lot to have a cat to be put down.
Diz had a stroke and there was no choice. Mum paid.
It costs more to have the cat cremated separately and not just disposed of. Mum paid.
And it probably costs more to have a lovely container and not just a cardboard box. Mum paid.

Did I hear a single word about how much she spent?
No. Never.

And the weekend she came up to see me in Leeds, when I was still in rehab, Diz was already showing signs of being "not quite right", although the stroke took him suddenly.

She lived with me and the boy for a good few years. Yes, he was a major pain in the arse for her, with his unexplained urination in her extremely clean house, his occasional unexplained vomiting and his weird scratch/ bite attacks. But not only did he love her, she could see how much of a unit we were.

And she sat there, outwardly calm, as I prattled on about not being able to come home for Christmas as I couldn't leave the boy again. And how although rehab was sorting me out, I would sort out the flat for the sake of the Dizcat. And how I loved him so much and couldn't believe I could have let him live on the state the flat was in for so long, and how he was the only thing I would change about rehab.

I even took her to Leeds indoor market where they have kittens, to laugh and adore them and say they weren't a patch on Diz.

And she never twitched a muscle.

I do not mean that in in uncaring way.
She knew he was very ill. I think she knew he was close to death. And she knew US.
She did it because she loved me, and because I told her not to tell me if he had a problem, thinking it would be minor and would affect my treatment.
She sat there and took it all.
And don't forget she loved him too.

I did not deserve this.
Thank you Mum.

Gravdigr 12-24-2014 11:20 AM

Mom's rock.

orthodoc 12-24-2014 11:47 AM

Some do. Yours is one of them, Sundae.

classicman 12-26-2014 04:14 PM

Mom comes through again. Give her a big hug from me...
Oh, and you do deserve it. Silly girl.