The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Concert Thread (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=28129)

Spexxvet 10-08-2012 09:12 AM

The Concert Thread

This is the concert thread. Surprisingly, there wasn't one.

This year, I've gone to more concerts than I have in a coon's age. I don't like masses of people, but it just worked out that I was able to go to Sigur Ros, Foster The People, The Pittsburgh Orchestra performing the Zelda Symphony, Florence and the Machine, Ben Folds Five, and I have tickets for Of Monsters and Men on Thanksgiving Saturday night. Except for the "lawn setting" of the Sigur Ros concert, about which I whined and bitched, they've all been excellent. It's almost overwhelming how talented some people are.

jimhelm 10-08-2012 09:41 AM

Dave Matthews Band in december!

infinite monkey 10-08-2012 09:49 AM

I haven't been to a concert in years. I didn't even go to see Fagan and McDonald and Scaggs, and that would have been awesome.

I used to go to big venue concerts a lot...later on in life I spent a lot of time in Dayton's Oregon District with my musician ex...and saw a lot of great shows, jazz mostly, some blues.

I'm going to try to make a list of everyone I've seen (except of course, local bands.) I think it will be interesting. I'll post it later when I've thought about it.

Gravdigr 10-08-2012 10:05 AM

Last concert I attended was Queensr˙che, the "Empire Tour". Suicidal Tendencies opened.

This was about 1990-91.

I paid $21 each for 2 tickets. Thought the price was outrageous.

:yelgreedy

Spexxvet 10-08-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimhelm (Post 833384)
Dave Matthews Band in december!

You must be under the table and dreaming ;)

glatt 10-08-2012 04:41 PM

How big does it have to be to be considered a concert?

Saw Chopteeth about a month ago.

Clodfobble 10-08-2012 11:50 PM

In a couple weeks I'm going to my brother's CD release concert, at a legitimate non-hole-in-the-wall venue. He's been sponsored by some local promotions group, and got featured on MTVHive and everything. I'm proud of the kid, I really am. It will be the first time I've seen live music of any kind in over a year.

infinite monkey 10-09-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 833386)
Last concert I attended was Queensr˙che, the "Empire Tour". Suicidal Tendencies opened.

This was about 1990-91.

I paid $21 each for 2 tickets. Thought the price was outrageous.

:yelgreedy

Dude! :hedfone:

be-bop 10-09-2012 05:38 PM

What pisses me completely off is that bands mostly give Edinburgh a miss.
It's Aberdeen Glasgow then usually Newcastle of Manchester, time after time i see bands on tour dates thinking I'd like to see them but no joy.
The big theatres in Edinburgh hold on average 1800 to 2000 capacity and the smaller venues hold between 500 to 1000 so bigger bands dont come here because you can't get into the bigger venues they are usually booked out with shit musical productions, Billy Connolly complained a few years ago about Edinburgh not being able to book bigger venues for fucking andrew Lloyd Webber shows.
:mad2:

Rhianne 10-09-2012 05:53 PM

Fucking Andrew Lloyd Webber?

Do you mean Sir Fucking Andrew Lloyd Webber?

I hear what you're saying and understand but the SECC is an hour or less away by car, that's not too bad. Mind you, these days there isn't many 'big' bands I'd travel further than the length of my living room to see. Rest comfortably in the knowledge that Glaswegians are still jealous as hell of the Festival.

be-bop 10-11-2012 05:18 PM

"but the SECC is an hour or less away by car"

Not any good if you fancy a few beers before the show,the last time i was at the SECC got there in just over an hour but took nearly 3 hrs to get out the car park and back on to the motorway.
Glasgow is a shit-hole that i try to stay out of if possible, lived there for a time in the 70's the place was the pits.:bolt:

xoxoxoBruce 10-11-2012 05:23 PM

Aussie Pink Floyd at the Tower next week. :D

Griff 10-13-2012 12:16 PM

Reel Big Fish, Goldfinger, and Suburban Legends at Crockadile Rock last summer. Long drive but worth it.

Trilby 10-14-2012 09:50 AM

last concert I saw was probably 1993-4 Grateful Dead. Or maybe the B-52's or Buffett.

I haven't been to a concert since I got divorced lo these many blue moons ago.

sigh. I can't even get up any enthusiasm to go see some band, either.

Only the Stones could get me to come out of my hovel.

Spexxvet 11-27-2012 11:38 AM

4 Attachment(s)
This past Saturday night, I saw Of Monsters And Men at The Tower Theater. They were Egggsellent

jimhelm 12-22-2012 08:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
At the Dave Matthews Concert RFN!

Chocolatl 12-22-2012 09:05 PM

Is that Carrot Top??

zippyt 12-22-2012 09:17 PM

That is a SCARRRRRY looking thing !!!!!

jimhelm 12-22-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocolatl (Post 844936)
Is that Carrot Top??

Yup! And amanda and liz.

Spexxvet 12-27-2012 10:07 AM

Was Carrot top an act, or a spectacle spectator

jimhelm 12-27-2012 10:42 AM

the latter. We stood in Gen Admin right behind the control boards. he came waltzing in with a 50? yr old woman with nearly as much plastic surgery as him. They let him inside the little fenced in area there. Liz eventually got the nerve up to pester him during a lul. He was nice enough. Said he liked my red beard.

BigV 12-31-2012 09:22 AM

2 Attachment(s)
For my birthday, Twil took us to see Leonard Cohen. It was really amazing. All I can say is Hallelujah!

Attachment 42292

Attachment 42293

Spexxvet 12-31-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimhelm (Post 845473)
the latter. We stood in Gen Admin right behind the control boards. he came waltzing in with a 50? yr old woman with nearly as much plastic surgery as him. They let him inside the little fenced in area there. Liz eventually got the nerve up to pester him during a lul. He was nice enough. Said he liked my red beard.

Cool.

glatt 03-03-2015 08:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
When I saw the announcement that the Grateful Dead were doing one last set of concerts in Soldier Field this summer, I got all nostalgic and thought about how cool it would be to be there. The end of an era! 50 years.
Attachment 50514

Then I thought about the logistics of getting there, and squeezing it into an overbooked summer. And I remembered how bad they sounded the last time they came through town. So I forgot about it.

Now I see that tickets went on sale over the weekend and sold out in just a couple minutes. Breaking some Ticketmaster record. And scalpers are selling for up to $15K per ticket.

lumberjim 03-03-2015 12:12 PM

without Jerry... it's not the Grateful Dead. it's just the Dead.

lumberjim 03-03-2015 12:23 PM

I have purchased tix for Fallout Boy in June. Ripley wanted to go with her friends for her birthday. SO ... me and 3 14 year old girls will be seeing Wiz Khalifa, Fallout bouy and some white rapper. I. can't. wait.

classicman 03-08-2015 05:09 PM

glatt - I agree with you. Last time I saw any of them they were awful. Bobby lost his voice what seems a decade ago. Phil never had one... I called my ex brother-in-law and we were talking about it ... he somehow got tix for $300. He's taking his wife and 2 daughters. They're all flying in from Cali. I noticed that a bunch of other friends are going as well.
Me? I'm going to spend $90 TOTAL to go see DSO at the Queen in Wilmington DE again. This time with both my sons. IF you haven't seen them, go. Well worth it.

lumberjim 03-09-2015 09:55 PM

DSO?

Is that a band, or am I too stupit to decode the anagram?

glatt 03-10-2015 07:41 AM

I figured it was a tribute band. So I Googled it, and it is.

Dark Star Orchestra

Apparently they are so serious about it that they have been joined onstage by Bob Weir, Phil Lesh, Bill Kreutzmann, and Donna Jean Godchaux. Bizarrre that the originals would play with a tribute band.

classicman 03-15-2015 07:59 PM

Sorry - been busy. Yes it is Dark Star Orchestra.
They are extremely talented - MUST SEE

infinite monkey 04-17-2015 07:18 AM

OK, this isn't set in stone yet, but I may be going to see Yes and Toto in August. I think more people are going for Yes...but I'm a big fan of the Toto. Africa makes me almost cry I love that song so much!

glatt 04-17-2015 07:24 AM

Sweet! And you can share with everyone your knowledge of the bassist recently passing away.

classicman 04-17-2015 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 926120)
OK, this isn't set in stone yet, but I may be going to see Yes and Toto in August. I think more people are going for Yes...but I'm a big fan of the Toto. Africa makes me almost cry I love that song so much!

Sweeeeeeeeet! I'll be going as well. I'm heading to Newark NJ and the I'll be seeing them in Atlantic City NJ the next day... I think. Thats the loose plan forming now.

lumberjim 05-05-2015 05:03 PM

Jane's Addiction

They are playing at the Electric Factory in Philly on Sat the 16th May... but I'm going to the Friday 16th show an hour north in Sayreville NJ. Jinx is taking the kids to the Philly show (their first rock concert) ... and the Friday show is a special presentation of Nothing's Shocking in it's entirety. Also easier for me to get there on time, as I'll be off at 1p on Friday that week.

xoxoxoBruce 05-05-2015 06:29 PM

Drive defensively.

lumberjim 05-15-2015 06:38 PM

So, I'm here. What a strange venue. I rode my motorcycle. I may regret this. The sky is cloudy.... This morning, the wunderground forecast said no chance of rain until about 1am. I think I'll be lucky if I come out to a dry bike. I smell moisture in the air.

Whatever. This is Jane's Addiction. And they are doing Nothing's Shocking. In its entirety. Boo. Ya.

Sold out show. Starland Ballroom. Sayreville NJ. Surprisingly rural. And the crowd is Surprisingly.... Mature. I'm just waiting in the parking lot at this point.

This is the second time I've gone to a concert alone.... I went to see Cake in 2010.... Shortly after I got fired as a husband. That was kind of sad and lonely ... Sad and lonely.

But not this time. I'm psyched. I will post clips.

lumberjim 05-15-2015 06:47 PM

Oh, and I parked for free because I didn't use an actual space. $7 more I can spend on..... Soda. Yay.

lumberjim 05-15-2015 07:08 PM

Inside now, and it is very similar to Cabo Wabo. It's a lot like a big bar. Maybe 1000 heads. 1500 to the moon.

This is going to be insane. Huge big band, little tiny venue. Someone do the math. There has to be a formula for band fame to venue size ratio.

The smaller the venue, the more intense the experience. Like imagine Led Zeppelin performing in your living room in 1977. That's the Omega.. Vanilla Ice at Woodstock is the alpha.....

So this show should definitely be in the upper 25%, right?

DanaC 05-15-2015 07:27 PM

Sounds fun, Jim.

xoxoxoBruce 05-15-2015 07:37 PM

Stay close to the FIRE exits.

lumberjim 05-15-2015 11:14 PM

Perfect.

lumberjim 05-16-2015 01:09 AM

lumberjim 05-16-2015 09:40 AM

Griff 05-16-2015 11:07 AM

You got a next day review for us?

lumberjim 05-16-2015 11:36 AM

when i get a minute.... was right into bed last night, and slammed out of the chute at work here today.
in short.... The perfect show, set list and venue.

lumberjim 05-16-2015 02:07 PM

review

Ok so the venue was really cool. I guess it filled up to about 2500-3000 people by the time they went on... which wasn't until 9:50, btw..... cocks.

But I had sidled down to about center and toward the back where it wasn't too crowded. It was standing room only GA.

The opening act was intense. They were noise based, atmospheric and loud as hell. Lots of feedback, rhythmic pulsing and throbbing. I was pretty into it until the last song they did which was to discordant and squealy for my ears.

A Place to Bury Strangers

But Jane's Addiction ...after about a half hour wait, finally came on, and did Up the Beach. And then right into Ocean Size.... both sounded great. These guys have not lost a beat in 27 years since they released it. Navaro has a few more tattoos.... but they sounded tight and practiced.

it took me about 5 songs to realize that they were doing the album in order. That hada very satisfying effect. If you've listened to an album over and over.... you begin to tie them together song by song.... so when you hear Ted, just admit it (the song that has 'nothing's shocking' in it) you expect to hear 'Standing in the Shower thinking' right after. and last night, you DID. Cool.

They pulled out the kettle drums for Jane says, as you can tell if you clicked the above.. so THAT was AWESOME. It started a little thin, but they got into it pretty quickly. I think the only minor bummer was that they omitted "Thank You Boys" or maybe I just missed it? it's a 45 second song... It might just not be do-able live. It has organs and snapping fingers and what not. But there WERE crowd surfers a couple times, so I think that evens things out.

So, before you know it, they're through the whole album. But right out of Pigs in Zen, they went into 'Been Caught Stealing' and everyone started dancing. REally smoking hot version of that. I hope I can find it, I didn't do video of that because I was dancing. Got right sweated up doing that song.... and then Perry said thanks, and walked off.

BUT WAIT!

There's MORE!

What song would you hope to hear as an encore? me? 3 Days. That's 14 minutes long, has great drums, cool lyrics, and I like the live versions I've heard better than the studio. So I'm telling that to my neighbor in the crowd, and he's like... yeah... but I'd like to hear 'Stop!'

That's a good one too.

Well, they did both. IN THAT ORDER.

we high fived

For the encores, these girls came out in lingerie and danced on the speakers.... and then two of them got hooked up to harnesses and were hoisted up to swing from the rigs. I'm pretty sure they were hanging by their pierced backs. you can see it pretty clearly......

check it out:

awesome awesome awesome.

five thumbs up.

I'd really like to go to the one in Philly tonight. I'm amazed that it's not sold out.

Griff 05-16-2015 02:31 PM

Beautiful

lumberjim 05-16-2015 02:52 PM

um... so the two dangling ladies are Miss Crash and Samar. They are pros. shiver

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Crash

Gravdigr 05-16-2015 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 928580)
...sad and lonely ... Sad and lonely.

But, some sweet mama came and took a chance with you, cuz, you ain't so bad...:D

Jim, were you using your phone, or your camera?

Cuz the audio was pretty awesome. Video, was good, too, but, dayum, the audio sounded like it came from the board.

lumberjim 05-16-2015 03:53 PM

Samsung Note4, bub. I luvs this phone.

Gravdigr 05-16-2015 04:11 PM

I was impressed.

Griff 05-17-2015 07:02 AM

That there, that's a crazy freakshow.

glatt 05-17-2015 09:13 AM

But not until the meat hook suspensions. I google image searched that woman, and good googly moogly, that's some crazy stuff.

be-bop 05-26-2015 02:23 PM

Now there's a band I would love to see live "Strays" is my favourite album of theirs

:shred:

lumberjim 05-26-2015 07:29 PM

Gonna take the boy to Cake in July too. That should be fun

classicman 05-28-2015 01:34 PM

4 Attachment(s)
DSO last night with my son at the World Cafe Live at The Queen in DE.
Fantastic music played by very talented musicians. Saw a bunch of heads from the old days. Good deal. Hung out with my State Senator for a bit too. That was a little ... ... ... weird.
Oh, and we spent most of the time in the front row.
Tickets - $25.00
Parking $5.00
Crappy food at Extreme Pizza - $25.00
Seeing my son rockin' out to some GD - Priceless

ETA - Second set list posted for Jim.

Gravdigr 05-28-2015 01:59 PM

Oh, look, the guy on keyboards is still alive.

lumberjim 05-29-2015 11:35 AM

Nice, classic. That's a happy set list

glatt 05-29-2015 12:12 PM

I'm glad you had a good time, classic. Maybe I'll go see them one of these days.

We got tickets to see Colin Hay in November at the Birchmere, a fairly small venue in Alexandria. It's going to be awesome. He's a small venue kind of guy. He's perhaps my new favorite musician.

Griff 05-30-2015 11:54 AM

Nice. He is so good.