The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   I don't have a dog in this fight, but... (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=26073)

classicman 01-08-2012 05:41 PM

The more Mitt talks the less I listen.
They have already decided the outcome of the next election by having this group as their candidates.
None of these guys in the end can beat O.
Th Republican field is pathetic and I am being very nice.
That party needs major surgery to have the TPers and Christian Coalition removed.
Let them become their own parties.

TheMercenary 01-12-2012 07:32 AM

I don't agree. I think Romney can beat him. Not my first choice but..... If the NH caucus is any reflection of how people will vote, he has a pretty good chance.

classicman 01-12-2012 10:47 AM

Dare I ask who your first choice was among this group?

TheMercenary 01-12-2012 12:59 PM

I don't like any of them in the whole, but I like little bits of all of them and larger bits that I don't like. As with most elections I will bite my tongue and vote for the best shitty candidate. (With the exception of the last election where I voted for neither person in the major two parties.)

classicman 01-12-2012 01:05 PM

Not telling eh? thats fine.
At this point, Huntsman would have been my first choice... if he only had some personality. :/

TheMercenary 01-12-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 787155)
Not telling eh? thats fine.
At this point, Huntsman would have been my first choice... if he only had some personality. :/

It is not a matter of "not telling", it is a point of fact that I like none of them but I would choose any of them over Obama.

infinite monkey 01-12-2012 02:41 PM

What happened to Biff? Or Chip? Or Chauncey? Or Sumner?

Mitt. *blech ptoeey bleh* Sounds like a guy who would've been beat up a lot if he didn't have all that money. :lol:

Is that short for something?

TheMercenary 01-12-2012 02:45 PM

:lol: He probably went to a private Mormon school with a bunch of other kids named Mitt, Kit, and Richy.

infinite monkey 01-12-2012 02:50 PM

OH yeah, Kitty!

sidebar: Kitty was the name of the college president's wife where I went to school. We were in the student union for a screening of Animal House and when the scene where the wife of Dean Wormer wrecked into the fence or bush or whatever, I yelled "Kitty!" and the whole place fell over.

Hey, I was drunk, like Mrs Wormer. ;)

TheMercenary 01-12-2012 02:52 PM

One of the best movies eva....

classicman 01-12-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 786975)
I think Romney can beat him. Not my first choice but...

This is what led to the question ... Who is or was your first choice?

TheMercenary 01-12-2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 787261)
This is what led to the question ... Who is or was your first choice?

None of them. Why can't that be an acceptable answer to you?

I will not be boxed in.

5head is not my base.

classicman 01-12-2012 08:28 PM

Its fine - I inferred from your post
"Not my first choice but..."
that you had a first choice.

TheMercenary 01-12-2012 08:30 PM

I have no first choice. I think they all suck to some degree. Anyone but Obama in 2012.

Lamplighter 01-12-2012 08:42 PM

At last a candidate we can believe in...

NYTimes

BRIAN STELTER
1/12/12

Colbert for President: A Run or a Comedy Riff?
Quote:

Mr. Colbert, the Comedy Central television host,
has made jokes at the expense of super PACs for months
— forming his own group, soliciting money for it, then running an ad that featured Buddy Roemer,
a long-shot candidate who has criticized the Supreme Court decision that allows
the existence of the free-spending PACs so long as they do not explicitly coordinate with candidates.

On Thursday night’s “Colbert Report,” Mr. Colbert took it a big step further,
handing control of his group to his friend and fellow host Jon Stewart
so that he can legally run for president, or at least pretend to.
Mr. Colbert, who has comically flirted with — and mocked the possibility of
— runs for political office before, said he would form an “exploratory committee
for president of the United States of South Carolina.”
<snip>
“You cannot be a candidate and run a super PAC. That would be coordinating with yourself,”
Trevor Potter, Mr. Colbert’s lawyer and a former chairman
of the Federal Election Commission, told him on Thursday’s show.
But “you could have it run by somebody else,” even a friend or business partner, Mr. Potter said
— illuminating what critics say is an inappropriate loophole in the law.

So Mr. Colbert brought out Mr. Stewart, the host of “The Daily Show,”
who played along with the joke, saying, “I’d be honored to” help.
Sarcastically emphasizing that they would not coordinate Mr. Colbert’s real
or imagined presidential race with Mr. Stewart’s ad spending, Mr. Colbert said
“From now on, I will have to talk about my plans on my TV show.”
Mr. Stewart, whose show immediately precedes Mr. Colbert’s
at 11 p.m., shot back, “I don’t even know when it’s on.”

When Mr. Potter told the two comedians that “being business partners
does not count as coordination, legally,” there were groans of disgust
from some in the studio audience.<snip>

TheMercenary 01-12-2012 09:22 PM

Colbert sucks donkey dick. Just saying.... Although I do hope he enters the race as an Independent or a Demoncrat.

Clodfobble 01-12-2012 09:43 PM

I've never understood why you hate him more than Jon Stewart. It makes no sense.

Lamplighter 01-13-2012 03:50 PM

One more nail in four more coffins... and Beyonce has designs on Obama :rolleyes:

USA Today
Catalina Carnia
Jan 13, 2012

Judge rejects Perry, GOP hopefuls for Va. ballot
Quote:

U.S. District Judge John Gibney said in his ruling that Perry
-- along with GOP candidates Newt Gingrich, Jon Huntsman and Rick Santorum
who joined in the Texas governor's lawsuit -- waited too long to file
the complaint against the state's ballot requirements.

"They knew the rules in Virginia many months ago.
... In essence, they played the game, lost, and then complained that the rules were unfair,"
Gibney wrote.

Virginia is one of the big prizes among the primaries
being held March 6, on what is known as Super Tuesday.
And besides all that:
How can Obama lose with support like this...

NY Daily News
Cristina Everett
1/13/12

Beyonce designs T-shirt to help Obama re-election campaign:
Quote:

The singer, who recently welcomed daughter Blue Ivy Carter,
has teamed up with mom Tina Knowles to design a $45 T-shirt
in support of President Obama.
BAZINGA

infinite monkey 01-13-2012 05:20 PM

Heck yeah!

tw 01-13-2012 08:05 PM

Pat Paulson for President.

Lamplighter 01-13-2012 09:52 PM

Best episode was Pat pulling the sword from the stone...

classicman 01-13-2012 10:26 PM

Wai what? Oh never mind. something about a broken clock...

Lamplighter 01-14-2012 07:44 AM

:D

BUT, BUT, BUT...
Just before that goof, McCain called the "Citizens United" decision
the "worst decision of the Supreme Court ... ever ! "
That was the first time I agreed with McCain in a very long time.

I think the last time was when he picked Palin as VP candidate
... that decision helped cost him the election !

Oh well, McCain's time is past.

TheMercenary 01-14-2012 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamplighter (Post 787734)
The singer, who recently welcomed daughter Blue Ivy Carter,
has teamed up with mom Tina Knowles to design a $45 T-shirt
in support of President Obama.

The part you left off is the majority of Obama supporters can't afford a $45 T-shirt and she is only donating 1$ to Obama for every shirt sold, she is keeping the rest. :lol: She supports wealth redistribution....:D

Griff 01-14-2012 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 787840)

Wai what? Oh never mind. something about a broken clock...

That is awesome. I love the slow motion attempt to stop the train.

Lamplighter 01-14-2012 10:13 PM

The meeting in Texas is now public, and Santorum gets the nod from the religious leaders.

Bloomberg
John McCormick and David Mildenberg
January 14, 2012

Santorum Wins Backing of U.S. Religious Leaders Before Primary
Quote:

Jan. 14 (Bloomberg) -- Rick Santorum won the backing of a group of national religious leaders
who pushed for social conservatives to coalesce behind a single Republican presidential candidate
before the South Carolina primary.<snip>

At a gathering of religious leaders at a ranch near Bleiblerville, Texas,
Santorum received 85 of 114 votes on the third ballot,
defeating former U.S. House Speaker Newt Gingrich,
Tony Perkins, president of the Family Research Council, told reporters
on a conference call today.<snip>

Organizers included Gary Bauer, president of American Values in Washington,
and Donald Wildmon, founder of the American Family Association of Tupelo, Mississippi,
Perkins said. Also attending was Richard Land, president of the Nashville, Tennessee-based
Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention.

Perkins declined to name others present at the event, held yesterday and today
at a ranch owned by H. Paul Pressler, a Houston attorney and former Texas Appeals Court judge.
Perkins described the group as “conservative leaders, businessmen and political activists.”<snip>

A group supporting Santorum’s campaign began airing a commercial
that promotes his opposition to abortion and radical Islam.
The ad, sponsored by Red White and Blue Fund, doesn’t mention
any of Santorum’s Republican opponents.<snip>
And besides all that:

The "Christians" are really afraid that if Romney is elected,
the LDS will gain a bigger market share of the missionary marketplace.

NY Times
Laurie Goodstein
1/14/12

The Theological Differences Behind Evangelical Unease With Romney
Quote:

The Rev. R. Philip Roberts, the president of a Southern Baptist seminary in Kansas City, Mo., is an evangelist with a particular goal: countering Mormon beliefs.<snip>

On the most fundamental issue, traditional Christians believe in the Trinity:
that God is the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit all rolled into one.

Mormons reject this as a non-biblical creed that emerged in the fourth and fifth centuries.
They believe that God the Father and Jesus are separate physical beings,
that God has a wife whom they call Heavenly Mother, and that God and Jesus once dwelt on earth as men.<snip>

Many evangelicals have numerous reasons, other than religion, for objecting to Mr. Romney.
But to understand just how hard it is for some to coalesce around his candidacy,
it is important to understand the gravity of their theological qualms.

“I don’t have any concerns about Mitt Romney using his position as either
a candidate or as president of the United States to push Mormonism,” said Mr. Roberts, an author of
“Mormonism Unmasked” and president of the Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary,
who said he had no plans to travel to South Carolina before the voting.
The concern among evangelicals is that the Mormon Church will use his position
around the world as a calling card for legitimizing their church and proselytizing people.

TheMercenary 01-15-2012 06:12 AM

A good discussion about Romney... (11 min video from PBS)

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/polit...oks_01-13.html

ZenGum 01-15-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

“I don’t have any concerns about Mitt Romney using his position as either
a candidate or as president of the United States to push Mormonism,” said Mr. Roberts, an author of
“Mormonism Unmasked” and president of the Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary
You bloody well should (have concerns about it)!!!

infinite monkey 01-15-2012 05:46 PM

Yikes! Enough said, Zen.

monster 01-15-2012 07:17 PM

For those who do have a dog in this fight, please remember to pick up after them.... if that's too nasty to contemplate, perhaps you should reconsider...

BigV 01-16-2012 01:17 AM

Huntsman to withdraw, endorse Romney.

Huh.

ZenGum 01-16-2012 04:32 AM

Pity, he was the only one I found more entertaining than terrifying. Romney is more nauseating, I think.

Griff 01-16-2012 07:54 AM

I no longer have a dog in this fight.

Spexxvet 01-16-2012 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 788324)

Yay! Another vote for Obama!

classicman 01-16-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 788324)

well... I f I had one, he would have been it.

Griff 01-16-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spexxvet (Post 788354)
Yay! Another vote for Obama!

Right now it feels more like a skip the voting booth day altogether. If Obama can convince me that he does take the debt seriously, I can overlook his lack of leadership thus far... but we'll see.

Clodfobble 01-16-2012 12:48 PM

Sigh... it sucks living in a state where my vote will never matter.

Lamplighter 01-16-2012 12:54 PM

Oh ? What if LBJ felt that way...

OTOH, we lived in Dallas for a while... talk about liberals on a distant planet :D

Spexxvet 01-16-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 788377)
Right now it feels more like a skip the voting booth day altogether. If Obama can convince me that he does take the debt seriously, I can overlook his lack of leadership thus far... but we'll see.

He does, but the republican-controlled House won't raise taxes on the wealthy. We can only cut so much. Income needs to increase.

Spexxvet 01-16-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamplighter (Post 788389)
Oh ? What if LBJ felt that way...

LBJ? That's when southerners hated the republicans for freeing the slaves. Now they hate the Democrats for ensuring civil rights for African-Americans.

Lamplighter 01-16-2012 01:50 PM

Yeah, nature hates a void ( :D or :bolt: )

xoxoxoBruce 01-17-2012 02:48 AM

Bain financial in Boston, is training all their employees on how to answer about the firing the company did under Romney. They are not to talk about it but if confronted can answer some questions with what they have learned at these training sessions. Interesting that the company is concerned enough to have training sessions for the executives on it.

Clodfobble 01-17-2012 07:44 AM

I bet the company's not concerned at all, they just got a large donation from the Romney campaign to very thoroughly cover the costs of the training sessions.

Lamplighter 01-17-2012 10:06 AM

At last a candidate we can believe in... Herman Cain

SamIam 01-17-2012 10:28 AM

I'm sticking with Newt, the candidate for thinly disguised racism. He calls Obama the "food stamp" president and has put forth the idea that low income youth should be assigned some kind of civic employment, so they can learn about the work ethic, since no one in the projects is available as a role model.

I also heard him saying on NPR this morning that he favors jobs over work stamps. Oh, Newt you job creator, you. Just don't say anything to all the people you laid off at Bain Financial. :eyebrow:

Lamplighter 01-17-2012 10:42 AM

Sam, you and Colbert need to "non-coordinate" your SuperPac's. :rolleyes:

SamIam 01-17-2012 11:26 AM

Jon Stewart is my guru. Everything else I post is simply the meanderings of my brain off medication. :p:

Spexxvet 01-17-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamIam (Post 788547)
... has put forth the idea that low income youth should be assigned some kind of civic employment, ...

I guess he doesn't care about balancing the budget after all...:eyebrow:

SamIam 01-17-2012 12:37 PM

Oh, I don't think he actually means to PAY them. He never said anything about THAT. They need to know their place. Pay?

BigV 01-17-2012 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 788376)
well... I f I had one, he would have been it.

word up

Griff 01-17-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamIam (Post 788547)
I'm sticking with Newt, the candidate for thinly disguised racism. He calls Obama the "food stamp" president and has put forth the idea that low income youth should be assigned some kind of civic employment, so they can learn about the work ethic, since no one in the projects is available as a role model.

I also heard him saying on NPR this morning that he favors jobs over work stamps. Oh, Newt you job creator, you. Just don't say anything to all the people you laid off at Bain Financial. :eyebrow:

Except that a lot of low income youth don't have any role models who work. Finding a way to make working more profitable than not working seems a valid goal and Mitt worked for Bain not Newt.

classicman 01-17-2012 05:35 PM

I think some type of program where the utes of America do some type of service for the country ... other than fighting wars could be a good idea, although not a novel one.

Griff 01-17-2012 05:45 PM

Yeah, he was describing a younger Americorp. Creating disincentives to work is a Democrat thing, we won't see that in a Republican proposal. Remember that Obama's administration wants to prevent farm kids under 16 from working. Let's call a truce no Republicans in the bedroom and no Democrats in the fields.

SamIam 01-17-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 788644)
Except that a lot of low income youth don't have any role models who work.

I'd be curious about just how much "a lot" is, and how one would measure the number of role models available to any given group of kids. Seriously.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 788644)
Finding a way to make working more profitable than not working seems a valid goal and Mitt worked for Bain not Newt.

Yeah, sorry about that. Sometimes my bizarre and tiny brain confuses such things.

It is my feeling that a number of different things will have to happen to a number of different groups before any real change occurs. The stereotype is that so long as drug dealing remains such a lucrative business, kids will choose to deal crack or meth or whatever over working for minimum wage at McDonald's.

The stereotype is that so long as certain Native American tribes make the decision to pay their members just for existing, some will choose to party their lives away. A job just gets in the way of a life of chronic alcoholism.

And so on...

But I think it’s a vast over-simplification to say that members of minority groups are merely shiftless substance abusers in need of role models.

We need to take a long, hard look at racism and the active role it continues to play in America today. I read a statistic somewhere which stated that one in three African American men between the ages of 18 and 30 have been in prison, or are in prison now, or will be in prison in the near future.

And if that’s not bad enough, look at the unemployment situation for black Americans NOT in prison. In December, black unemployment rose from 15.5 % to 15.8% overall and from 39.6 to 42.1 among African American teens.

Contrast these statistics to an overall unemployment rate of 8.5 percent for the same time period – an actual improvement even as the situation for black Americans worsened.

Hispanics did somewhat better at 12.5 percent unemployment.

And last, but certainly not least, here’s what’s happening with Native Alaskans and American Indians.

Quote:

• By the first half of 2010, the unemployment rate for Alaska Natives jumped 6.3 percentage points to 21.3%—the highest regional unemployment rate for American Indians.

• Since the start of the recession, American Indians in the Midwest experienced the greatest increase in unemployment, growing by 10.3 percentage points to 19.3%.

• By the first half of this year, slightly more than half—51.5%—of American Indians nationally were working, down from 58.3% in the first half of 2007.

• In the first half of this year, only 44% of American Indians in the Northern Plains were working, the worst employment rate for Native Americans regionally.

• The employment situation is the worst for American Indians in some of the same regions where it is best for whites: Alaska and the Northern Plains.
Read more and weep here.

44 percent. 12.5 percent. 15.8 percent. 42.1 percent.

These statistics are outrageous. America should be ashamed. Instead we blame Hispanics, blacks, and Natives for not having “enough good role models” and proposing special work programs for them. No one asks if the children in these groups have the same access to a good education that the children in white suburbs have. We don’t talk about the food and nutritional needs of children living in poverty except to make cracks about obese “welfare queens.” God forbid that the “food stamp president” make decent meals available to the children of the poor. No one asks about the children whose families live in homeless shelters and how difficult it is for these “street kids” to make the same educational progress as a child who has a settled home to go to. And Newt forbid that we consider the medical care or lack there of available to children of the poor.

OK, I see this post is taking on TWesque proportions, so I’ll stop. I have only one more question. How are we going to pay for this proposed SOCIAL program of providing jobs for disadvantaged youth? You think the Tea Baggers are going to cowboy up and find a way to do it? Not hardly.

We have major, major problems facing our society. The Republican response is to simply cut all social programs and hold the hands of the rich. Newt’s or whoever’s proposal for jobs for kids is just so much more hot air.

classicman 01-17-2012 11:09 PM

Metropolitan Unemployment rates ...
Best to worst - I couldn't get the chart to work out...

10 worst ... ALL but one in CA. The other in AZ. Ranging from 14+% to over 27%

http://bls.gov/web/metro/laummtrk.htm

SamIam 01-18-2012 12:29 AM

Pretty interesting link. Apparently, anyone seeking a job should move to North Dakota where the unemployment rate is something like 2.8 percent. Intrigued, I checked out North Dakota on the vast City Data Forum.

Word on the forum is that North Dakota is experiencing quite the oil boom in the western part of the state. If you want a job on the oil rigs, its THE place to be. Except there's no housing.

However, the oil-rama has caused the entire state to boom, so you can find jobs even in the eastern half of the state in Fargo and Bismark, etc. And the housing is pretty cheap. I checked out the Fargo paper's classifieds and was stunned at all the job listings. I could even continue in my new found career as motel desk girl, given all the openings they had in the hospitality industry alone.

Good to know in case I become truly desperate. But I can't feature moving to North Dakota unless my situation here becomes untenable.

How's that for thread drift? ;)

ZenGum 01-18-2012 05:13 AM

Sam, if it makes you feel any better, the situation with Australian Aboriginals is even worse. Life expectancy is 15 years less (or more), they're 10 to 12 times more likely to be in prison, etc etc.

Griff 01-18-2012 05:51 AM

Look at people not stereotypes. I didn't hear myself say any of the things you said I did. Humans learn best through role modeling, unemployment rates are high and higher in minority communities. The long-term unemployed can not show their children what it looks like to go to work 5 days a week and simultaneously organize a household. Newt was not saying anything that Democrats hadn't said before. I have an aide in my classroom right now who would be better off unemployed because her families' significant health care needs were better met under medicaid. She persists because she wants someday to have a middle-class life, but the cards are stacked against her. Most of Newts solutions are not likely to be helpful, but to dismiss them out of hand because of party bias isn't helpful either.

xoxoxoBruce 01-18-2012 06:13 AM

Anyone that's been paying attention knows the politicians have created a monster in the welfare system. Now several generations in, how do you correct it? Cutting it, to force recipients to work when there's no jobs for them, will lead to a horrendous crime wave. Maintaining the status quo will lead to more people trapped in the system. I think education is the only way out but nobody's figured out how to implement that.

TheMercenary 01-18-2012 07:17 AM

Obama is finally jumping on the Bain Capitol bandwagon....

New Obama OMB director a Bain alum

Quote:

"I'm pleased to designate Jeff Zients to lead the Office of Management and Budget. Since day one, Jeff has demonstrated superb judgment and has provided sound advice on a whole host of issues," Obama said in a statement accompanying the announcement today. Zients previously served as Deputy Director of OMB under Jack Lew, who became Obama's chief of staff with the departure of Bill Daley.

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney might also be pleased at Zients' promotion, given that they have a common professional background; Zients worked with Bain & Company as early as 1988, according to the Bain website. Romney worked at Bain & Company, first from 1977-1984, and then again from 1991 and 1992, when he was the Bain & Company chief executive officer.

The Bain name has become politically-charged recently with the rise of Mitt Romney -- not for his work as a Bain & Company executive, but rather his career at Bain Capital. Romney helped found Bain Capital with his Bain and Company colleagues in 1984, and he led the firm until 1990.

Update: Bain & Company says that Zients worked there from August 1988 to June 1990. Romney apparently returned to Bain & Company from Bain Capital in January 1991, so they missed each other by six months.

President Obama's top campaign strategist, David Axelrod, criticized Romney for having a "Bain mentality," just as some of Romney's Republican presidential election rivals have blamed him for layoffs that took place at companies that Bain Capital financed.
http://campaign2012.washingtonexamin...in-alum/317976