The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   11/3/2003: Japanese dolphin kill (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=4262)

OnyxCougar 11-06-2003 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
aside-I was in Madrid one night with a Chinese engineer doing some sightseeing. Neither of us spoke Spanish and our interpreter (an engineer from South America) had taken off to visit friends. We found a Chinese resturant that had menus in Spanish and English so I told him what I wanted in English. He told the waiter what I wanted in Mandarin and the waiter told the cook in Cantonese. We paid in Spanish and tiped them with dollars.:)

Every see that I Love Lucy episode where Lucy doesn't have any foreign money in France or wherever they were and she's at a restaurant and they arrest her? Ricky comes to bail her out and so the line goes:

Police ---> guy who speaks French and German ---> guy who speaks German and Dutch ----> guy who speaks Dutch and Spanish ---> Ricky, who translates for Lucy.

That was pretty funny.

Guess you have to see it.

lumberjim 11-06-2003 07:48 PM

chinese food

I had Chinese food in a German restaurant the other day.

....and two hours later, I was hungry for power.

dar512 11-07-2003 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
We found a Chinese resturant that had menus in Spanish and English so I told him what I wanted in English. He told the waiter what I wanted in Mandarin and the waiter told the cook in Cantonese. We paid in Spanish and tiped them with dollars.:)
Ok. You started it. That reminds me of this one:

I was in Edinburgh Scotland on business. I was meeting Russian software engineers and the first night we went to a French restaurant. When the Russians ordered beer, they got Budweiser.

And I grew up in St. Louis.

elSicomoro 11-07-2003 06:48 PM

But was it AB's Budweiser or Budvar's Budweiser (made in the Czech republic)?

(Whereabouts in St. Louis, dar? Or perhaps the more appropriate question to ask...where did you go to high school? :) )

dar512 11-10-2003 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by sycamore
But was it AB's Budweiser or Budvar's Budweiser (made in the Czech republic)?

(Whereabouts in St. Louis, dar? Or perhaps the more appropriate question to ask...where did you go to high school? :) )

It was the real Anheiser brew. The waitress described it to the Russians as "a light American lager" IIRC.

I went to Bayless High - a really small district tucked in between Afton, Mehlville, and Lindbergh.

wolf 11-11-2003 12:37 AM

[beer snob]Budweiser Budvar is the REAL Budweiser. The weak, watery concoction that MAY be based on a recipe stolen from the fine czech brewmasters is unworthy of being considered "beer" in any practical sense.[/beer snob]

Mass production American Beer is like making love in a canoe.

lumberjim 11-11-2003 08:20 AM

IT'S FUCKING CLOSE TO WATER

-LIVE FROM THE HOLLYWOOD BOWL MONTY PYTHON

r9703410 11-11-2003 08:23 AM

Those poor little dolphins! My life is dolphins I love them so much. How can they do such a thing!:(

Whit 11-11-2003 09:56 AM

Do what? Kill the dolphins? With something sharp by the looks of the water. Eat the dolphins, just going with the stereotype, but with rice I'd imagine. Oh, and Soy Sauce.

dave 11-11-2003 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by r9703410
Those poor little dolphins! My life is dolphins I love them so much. How can they do such a thing!:(
The same you eat beef and make Hindus cringe, I would imagine.

dar512 11-11-2003 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by wolf
[beer snob]Budweiser Budvar is the REAL Budweiser. The weak, watery concoction that MAY be based on a recipe stolen from the fine czech brewmasters is unworthy of being considered "beer" in any practical sense.[/beer snob]

Could be. [shrugs] I don't drink beer, so I have no opinion. Nice pun though.

OnyxCougar 11-11-2003 12:19 PM

Yeah, I had a drink of my Dad's beer once and nearly vomited. Don't do beer. No opinion on it other than that.

dar512 11-11-2003 12:24 PM

Ok. I've held off as long as I could, but I can't help myself. This is a portion of "Carrot Juice is Murder" by Arrogant Worms

Listen up brothers and sisters come hear my desperate tale
I speak of our friends of nature trapped in the dirt like a jail
Vegetables live in oppression, served on our tables each night
This killing of veggies is madness, I say we take up the fight
Salads are only for murderers, coleslaw's a fascist regime
Don't think that they don't have feelings, just cause a radish can't scream

Chorus:
I've heard the screams of the vegetables (scream, scream, scream)
Watching their skins being peeled (having their insides revealed)
Grated and steamed with no mercy (burning off calories)
How do you think that feels (bet it hurts really bad)
Carrot juice constitutes murder (and that's a real crime)
Greenhouses prisons for slaves (let my vegetables go)
It's time to stop all this gardening (it's dirty as hell)
Let's call a spade a spade (is a spade is a spade is a spade)

You can read the rest of the lyrics here:

Carrot Juice is Murder

xoxoxoBruce 11-11-2003 10:43 PM

Quote:

What's wrong with love in a canoe? I like it.:)

elSicomoro 11-11-2003 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dar512
I went to Bayless High - a really small district tucked in between Afton, Mehlville, and Lindbergh.
I know it well. An ex-fiance of mine graduated from there in '95. I believe a cousin of mine goes there now. And my parents live near there, in the city.

(As far as myself, DuBourg, '94)