The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   August 3, 2007: Dog swims 4km daily to feed her pups (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14969)

Aliantha 08-08-2007 06:52 AM

Who knows? Maybe they're rabid? They could have all sorts of disease, and also, if they're wild and they're living in areas where small children play, who's to say they wont catch one for food one day? ( I mean the dogs catch the child of course )

Feril animals in general are a problem one way or another. Ask anyone who lives on the land.

Undertoad 08-08-2007 07:17 AM

A dingo doesn't eat your baby in China!

xoxoxoBruce 08-08-2007 07:36 AM

Feral does not mean dangerous. Just because they have thrown off the yoke of oppression, by the opposable thumb can openers, doesn't mean they should be assassinated.

freshnesschronic 08-08-2007 07:41 AM

I thought feral meant wild, not freed by humans.

xoxoxoBruce 08-08-2007 07:46 AM

Usually it's used to describe critters, or their descendants, that were formerly tame and have reverted to the wild. Lions, tigers, etc, are not feral.

DanaC 08-08-2007 08:02 AM

We have feral cats in the valley. They're not really a problem.

freshnesschronic 08-08-2007 08:08 AM

You learn something everyday.

xoxoxoBruce 08-08-2007 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 372765)
We have feral cats in the valley. They're not really a problem.

They are for the birds, squirrels, rabbits and other small ground dwellers.

DanaC 08-08-2007 04:33 PM

*shrugs* the neighbourhood Toms go hunting in the valley and the woods. Nature red in tooth and claw.

DucksNuts 08-08-2007 08:57 PM

Are you serious Dana? you dont see ferel cats as a problem?

They are a HUGE problem here, they have wiped out (or near) many of our little marsupials and the native birds take a real hiding.

Lots of cats are kept in doors at night and plenty of houses now have cat runs, so the cats are never unleashed on the wildlife.

rkzenrage 08-08-2007 09:05 PM

Feral cats are a HUGE problem.
We used to have robins, no more, because of feral cats and people who lets their cats out, which are feral cats.
On the ranch we shot them.

Clodfobble 08-08-2007 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DucksNuts
They are a HUGE problem here, they have wiped out (or near) many of our little marsupials and the native birds take a real hiding.

Yeah, but I thought basically all placental mammals were massive threats to all your marsupial creatures. That's why they have all those strict penalties and restrictions nowadays against bringing any type of animal from outside the country. Guess the cats made it in under the deadline?

DucksNuts 08-08-2007 11:32 PM

Nah, not much is a threat to the Roo and Wombat (except a threat of the 2 legged and 4 wheeled type).

Actually, not too many of our marsupials are threatened to extinction by our native predators....its been the introduced species that have caused most of the danger.

The majority of the restrictions are for disease, we dont have rabies etc....but we have been bitten badly by introduced species. Ones that have been introduced to eradicate other pests (introduced species usually).

Clodfobble 08-09-2007 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DucksNuts
Actually, not too many of our marsupials are threatened to extinction by our native predators....its been the introduced species that have caused most of the danger.

But that's what I meant... my biology professor taught us that by definition all placentals were introduced on the continent by humans. Australia developed crazy pouch-creatures, and the rest of the world developed placentals. So all your cats would count as an introduced species.

I think. On the other hand, I did get a C in that class. Man, I hated that guy.

rkzenrage 08-09-2007 12:06 AM

What drives me nuts are the lunatic pussies who freak out and try to stop the killing of feral species.
Makes no sense, just wipe them out... what is the issue?
We have that problem here with pigs, cats, those fucking ducks... don't want them dead, bring them into your home.