The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Student shot with Taser by UCPD officers (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=12442)

wolf 11-19-2006 05:39 PM

If they are attacking people or livestock, they need to get dead pretty quickly.

We also have a pretty serious rabies problem here in the U.S.

lookout123 11-19-2006 07:18 PM

Quote:

really? you mean that's not something they just made up as an excuse to shoot the star of a disney movie?

jinx 11-19-2006 07:33 PM

My issue is pet dogs, taken off their leashes on the trails at French Creek. The kids and I have had everything from poodles, to pit bulls and great danes running up on us out in the woods there. I don't know if they want to bite me or sniff my crotch, but I'm not cool with any of it.
I don't want to hurt the dogs, its the asshole owners fault... but it really pisses me off.

lookout123 11-19-2006 07:36 PM

i think you'd be perfectly justified in spraying the dog, BUT expect problems. if you don't incapacitate the dog you now have a very pissed off animal. and i'm sure there are jackasses that would sue because poor Fifi wasn't treated with the proper respect that all living creatures *blahblahblah*

Flint 11-19-2006 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippyt
Flint have YOU ever been in the situation where it is YOUR job to controll an un ruley mob ???

If that was my job, I would do it properly. If I didn't like having that job, or was not capable of doing it properly, I would seek a different job.

DanaC 11-20-2006 06:39 AM

Quote:

If they are attacking people or livestock, they need to get dead pretty quickly.

That I have little issue with. It was just the idea that dogs merely running about unattended get shot that I had a problem with. I am a dog-lover but even I can see that protection of human life and well being must take precedence over that of a dog. That said, if anybody hurt my dog, I'd hunt them down and tear them limb from limb :P

Trilby 11-20-2006 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint
If that was my job, I would do it properly. If I didn't like having that job, or was not capable of doing it properly, I would seek a different job.

Just out of curiosity, what do you do, job-wise?
the title of Systems Administrator covers a lot...

Have you ever had to restrain some nutcase who is spitting in your face and scratching at your neck? Have you ever had to tie someone down in five point leathers while they defecate all over the bed, room and you? Have you ever been taken hostage at work? Just wondering.

My point is this--until you've done the actual job day in and day out--don't assume you know how to do my job 'properly'

Undertoad 11-20-2006 07:28 AM

There are now dog parks specifically for letting your dog off lead and to romp around with other dogs.

Spexxvet 11-20-2006 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna
...Have you ever had to restrain some nutcase who is spitting in your face and scratching at your neck? Have you ever had to tie someone down in five point leathers while they defecate all over the bed, room and you? Have you ever been taken hostage at work? Just wondering.

Hey! Leave sexual preference out of this!

Spexxvet 11-20-2006 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx
[threadjack] Anyone know if it is legal for me to buy pepperspray and use it on dogs that are off their leash? How about the dog owners? [/threadjack]

Ask your mail carrier. S/he should know the local laws. :D

Spexxvet 11-20-2006 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippyt
...Here dogs running loose are SHOT !

And eaten!

Spexxvet 11-20-2006 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint
So...did they attack him for trying to leave without a student ID ???

He *didn't* leave the first time.

Spexxvet 11-20-2006 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DucksNuts
...Spexxie? oh yeah, I'd taser him - just for fun.

Then what would you do to me - just for fun?

Flint 11-20-2006 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spexxvet
He *didn't* leave the first time.

And he didn't get attacked the first time. He got attacked on his way out.

Flint 11-20-2006 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna
Just out of curiosity, what do you do, job-wise?
the title of Systems Administrator covers a lot...

Have you ever had to restrain some nutcase who is spitting in your face and scratching at your neck? Have you ever had to tie someone down in five point leathers while they defecate all over the bed, room and you? Have you ever been taken hostage at work? Just wondering.

My point is this--until you've done the actual job day in and day out--don't assume you know how to do my job 'properly'

I'm a computer guy. And no, I have never chosen to work a job that requires me to do any of the things you mentioned. If I had chosen that line of work, and discovered that I didn't have the disposition to carry out my duties without completely "losing it" and getting suspended, then I would seek a different line of work. Nobody is forcing people to work jobs they aren't suited for. Personal responsibility.