The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   While you're all outraged about the bailout... (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=19857)

classicman 04-06-2009 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redux (Post 553416)
The rules of the House under Pelosi are more open than under the previous Republican majority Congress

Diversion #1
Quote:

Lobbying/earmark/ethics is more open as a result of the Democratic reform (not enough for me) than the previous Republican majority Congress

Diversion #2
Quote:

But whats the point of arguing this.

Hedge #1
Quote:

I dont disagree that both parties are far from perfect when use the majority position to their advantage.

Hedge #2
Quote:

But just as is the case with Merc, I guess I cant expect you either to acknowledge that an editorial making sweeping generalizations based on one unnamed bank while ignoring the facts regarding four less briefly mentioned banks was a bit dishonest, to say the least.

Insult #1
Quote:

Its really not that hard.

Insult #2

None of that changes the FACT that the D's are using scare tactics just like the R's. That is the real fact.

Redux 04-06-2009 08:33 PM

If you want insult...keep pushing me to the TW mode :)

And yet, you still cant acknowledge that your editorial, the basis for this most recent exchange today, was dishonest.

classicman 04-06-2009 08:38 PM

Well, honestly - nothing you said had anything to do with the fact I stated. You went off in 6 different directions with very typical liberal talking points. I didn't dispute any of them because they had nothing to do with my point which you quoted. Its like a computer generated response. OR even better when a politician is asked a direct question - and goes off on a tangent not germane to the actual subject at hand.

Redux 04-06-2009 08:41 PM

Hey..Merc (with his bullshit and baseless references to me representing Obama as God like or a Savior), then you (with your Tarp II and D strong arm tactics) were the ones who went off on tangents away from your editorial...I just responded.

And yet, you still cant acknowledge that the editorial, the basis for this most recent exchange today, was dishonest.

Neither one of you guys can take that one small step...its kinda funny.

Yet, I acknowledge that with more information on that unnamed bank (the point I made repeatedly only to be ignored by you guys), I would have no problem with a waiver if it met the capital/lending standards... and you call me long-winded (hmmmm...insult?) ....go figure.

classicman 04-06-2009 09:36 PM

I posted the link and then when you finally read it, I commented. Don't say that I ignored you. I didn't, not at all.
Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 553375)
Glad you finally read the link there Redux. Does that change the situation at all. Hypothetically then, ...

You just continued on your editorial of talking points which had nothing to do with the discussion at hand. You brought up transparency, the rules of the house, Lobbying/earmark/ethics, sweeping generalizations and more.
I addressed each of your points - none of which were relevant to the topic.

No, I do not think the editorial was dishonest, I think it was one mans opinion, no different than anything here actually. I didn't mean to insult with the "long winded" reference. If I did, I apologize. I have actually rather enjoyed debating topics and discussing things with you. You have a very fresh and cohesive approach.

If you have issues with Merc, thats fine - take them up with him. Leave me out of it.

Redux 04-06-2009 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 553441)
I posted the link and then when you finally read it, I commented. Don't say that I ignored you. I didn't, not at all.

For the record, in my first post on the editorial (after reading it), I wrote that "I would like to see more than just this editorial (opinion) before jumping to conclusions."

But that is what some editorials do...jump to conclusions, w/o having all the facts, with the hope that it will be widely circulated and perpetuated and suddenly believed to be completely factual.

Quote:

No, I do not think the editorial was dishonest, I think it was one mans opinion, no different than anything here actually. I didn't mean to insult with the "long winded" reference. If I did, I apologize. I have actually rather enjoyed debating topics and discussing things with you. You have a very fresh and cohesive approach.
My issue is when the (or any) opinion is presented as more than what it is (not you).

No apology necessary.

And no, I am not the "fresh" prince, just an old policy wonk..and cant claim to always be "cohesive" (unless you know washington double speak)

Quote:

If you have issues with Merc, thats fine - take them up with him. Leave me out of it.
I aspire to Merc's ignore list (j/k)..he threatened but came up short on the follow through.

classicman 04-06-2009 10:13 PM

Excellent - now, hypothetically speaking...

TheMercenary 04-07-2009 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redux (Post 553427)
Hey..Merc (with his bullshit and baseless references to me representing Obama as God like or a Savior), then you (with your Tarp II and D strong arm tactics) were the ones who went off on tangents away from your editorial...I just responded.

And I responded in kind to your baseless bullshit that you assigned to me. Sounds like you can't take it.

Quote:

And yet, you still cant acknowledge that the editorial, the basis for this most recent exchange today, was dishonest.
It wasn't dishonest at all. You ignore his credentials because he is an occassional Fox contributor. He has more credentials than a nameless faceless self aclaimed "Washington Insider".

Quote:

Neither one of you guys can take that one small step...its kinda funny.
No small step required. The opinion piece was published in the WSJ and seemed to make some really good points about where Obama is taking us with his plans to control banks.

Quote:

Yet, I acknowledge that with more information on that unnamed bank (the point I made repeatedly only to be ignored by you guys), I would have no problem with a waiver if it met the capital/lending standards.
I don't see a problem there.

TheMercenary 04-07-2009 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redux (Post 553406)
LOL....OK.

You are a first rate apologist and propagandist for the Obama Administration.

Redux 04-07-2009 08:33 AM

Merc....the facts of our exchange are here for others to judge for themselves...and that is fine with me.

TGRR 04-07-2009 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 553494)
You are a first rate apologist and propagandist for the Obama Administration.

LOL. You're the exact same, for the GOP.

Both of you need to learn to stop enjoying being fucked over by the party of your choice.

TheMercenary 04-08-2009 03:54 AM

That would be boring.

Redux 04-08-2009 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TGRR (Post 553780)

Both of you need to learn to stop enjoying being fucked over by the party of your choice.

Help me , Obiwan....you are my only hope.

classicman 04-08-2009 01:12 PM

then you are in deep do do.

Trilby 04-08-2009 03:56 PM

are we still outraged?

It's exhausting.