The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Cities and Travel (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   what did YOU do this weekend? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=13940)

DanaC 09-17-2007 04:59 PM

*grins*

rkzenrage 09-17-2007 05:01 PM

Spent the weekend in Boca, went to Dave Matthews concert. Was fun.

monster 09-17-2007 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry Winkle (Post 383064)
That's what I figured. I have trouble deciding what to call her in here. I was just responding as much to my own thoughts about my choice as your comment.

How about Perry Hoo Ha? :D

Elspode 09-17-2007 07:48 PM

Friday night, all of my bandmates and I got together and celebrated the three September birthdays we have in the group over beers and decidedly non-pizzalike pizzas. Saturday, I went over to my friend Mike's and watched a video about Tom Dowd, renowned (and late) recording engineer/producer of such miraculous albums as Derek and the Dominoes, Allman Brothers' Eat a Peach, and frankly, more shit that even *I* believed, and I know who he was. We then sat down to play guitars, and Mike broke a string. He didn't have any new ones, so we lit out to Guitar Center. I decided to restring my guitar too, and as I was standing at the counter waiting to pay, I looked to my right and saw that I was standing next to Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top. Cool.

Yesterday, the band played at an outdoor Fall Festival at a church, and then I did very little else of interest for the rest of the day.

Griff 09-17-2007 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkzenrage (Post 386051)

Good show?

rkzenrage 09-17-2007 08:52 PM

Ended-up seeing both. Great shows, I was surprised how much I liked them and how talented they are (I have only been exposed to their studio work, that will be tossed immediately).
The only thing I can complain about is being talked to like a four-year-old (which they hate too) by malnourished, drunken, strange young women.

jinx 09-17-2007 10:26 PM

Went to a funeral. Stayed at a B&B and had the opportunity to visit "the farm". Jim took some pictures.

Elspode 09-18-2007 02:18 AM

Jinx, NASA called...they said that having you continue to be hotter than the surface of the sun was fucking up their instrumentation, and they wanted to know if you'd knock it off.

I told them no.

Damn...your kids are getting so *big*. I really hate it when being a member of an online community starts making me feel old.

glatt 09-18-2007 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx (Post 386184)
Went to a funeral. Stayed at a B&B and had the opportunity to visit "the farm". Jim took some pictures.

Honesdale, huh? I've probably got a funeral to attend in Honesdale in the not too distant future too. Weird.

skysidhe 09-18-2007 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspode (Post 386119)
I looked to my right and saw that I was standing next to Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top. Cool.

oh my god ,,,now way!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkzenrage (Post 386051)

good :)

@ Jinx .... your kids are darling btw.

jinx 09-18-2007 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 386290)
Honesdale, huh? I've probably got a funeral to attend in Honesdale in the not too distant future too. Weird.

Do you spend a lot of time up there Glatt, or just the once yearly visit with the uncle? Where abouts? My farm is 2-3 miles north of town on 191... I've spent almost no time there as an adult, but used to keep horses up there as a kid/teen.
The town itself it the same as I remember it, just some different stores in the massive store fronts (what happened to the Katz dept store?), Day's bakery was still there - just closed on Mondays unfortunately :(. I could drive around and look at gorgeous victorians all day...
I may take the kids up again soonish to do some railroad history schoolin', and jim is all ready to build a cabin next to the creek we were playing in... (in his spare time :rolleyes:, 'cause the ones in the Cabela's catalog are just too damn expensive)

glatt 09-18-2007 01:20 PM

A lot of my extended family lives around there. My mom's from there. Aunt and Uncle live in Aldenville, near Prompton. And we (my relatives) have a couple summer cabins on a lake there. A few cousins live in the area (Scranton.) I've been going there since I was a baby. I even spent a whole summer there in college.

Honesdale has changed a lot over the years. They have a fancy coffee shop right on Main street now. Never thought I'd be getting a mocha or latte in Honesdale. It's in the Himalayan Institute on Main St.

We still stop in at Days and get sticky buns whenever we are there. I remember Katz's but can't remember when it closed.

How was the place you stayed? I'm probably going to be in the market for a hotel room in Honesdale, and the pickins are kind of slim.

jinx 09-18-2007 01:29 PM

I saw the Himalayan, I also saw Beans coffee shop or something - and several natural foods/gourmet shops. Crazy.
Do not stay where we did. I would stay here or here. This place also looked nice, but :yelgreedy.

glatt 09-18-2007 01:42 PM

I don't remember if I saw it this most recent trip or last year, but when I saw the scented homemade soap store on Main St., I knew Honesdale had changed.

Two Guys from Italy down in the plaza mall is still in business and doing well. It's always packed when I go in there.

Thanks for the tips on places to stay. The nearest decent hotel is in Scranton, but it's 40 minutes away.

Griff 09-18-2007 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 386452)
Two Guys from Italy down in the plaza mall is still in business and doing well. It's always packed when I go in there.

The Two Guys in Montrose went out of business years ago, too bad that was good pizza. The cross-country team from Honesdale came up to Montrose for the invitatational over the weekend. They kicked everyones butt except Maine Endwell.