The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What I Learned Today (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9981)

smoothmoniker 02-10-2006 07:09 PM

I learned that the Guttenberg Bible was actually NOT the first printed book. It was the first substantial and significant book to be printed, but the press was used for numerous flyers, pamphlets, calendars, and small folios before it was geared up to do the bibles.

We went to the Huntington Library in Pasadena today, which has a Guttenberg on display.

lumberjim 02-10-2006 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippyt
But who is catching ???? LJ ????

what the?

i told you zippy, i'll only catch for you....sweetie ;)

BigV 02-10-2006 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoothmoniker
I learned that the Guttenberg Bible ...
We went to the Huntington Library in Pasadena today, which has a Guttenberg on display.

I learned a long time ago that Willam Randolph Hearst lived in a way that would put a king to shame. On one of the tours of Hearst Castle, I saw a table lamp that had a lampshade made from pages of a Guttenberg Bible. Talk about conspicuous consumption! :yowza:

BigV 02-10-2006 08:41 PM

Today I learned that our car can hold 70 large helium balloons, but it can't hold 140. I also learned that while they manage to completely obscure my vision everywhere but the windshield and side mirrors, they contribute amazingly little to the handling of the vehicle, good or bad.

Trilby 02-11-2006 05:07 AM

I learned that everything I ever thought about a certain person in my life is true.

Clodfobble 02-11-2006 10:47 AM

I learned that I only need a day's worth of trial-and-error to be better at programming with XML and Director than the guy at our company whose job it is to do those things.

Seeing as how he still gets paid more than I do, this didn't really please me.

xoxoxoBruce 02-11-2006 11:00 AM

I learned that if you put of buying a part for the dryer, until you are ready to install it, because the Maytag parts place is only a mile away. It won't be there anymore.
Now I have to edit my reply in the dirty jeans thread. :dunce:

jinx 02-11-2006 11:06 AM

I learned this acouple of months ago, but am reminded everyday, not to let children gather acorns and bring them into the house. Apparently there are little worms within, that turn into an army of moths. :rar:

smoothmoniker 02-11-2006 11:25 AM

BigV, I'm pretty sure the Velum Lamp at the Hearst Castle is a 15th century antiphonal songbook, not a Guttenberg.

Could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain. In either case, it's still a whorish excess of consumption to destroy a codex like that.

fargon 02-11-2006 11:30 AM

I learned that if it was possible to make me crazy, Lady Keryx would do so.

Dagney 02-11-2006 12:26 PM

I learned that if I don't get a good night's sleep, I'm a bitch.

I also learned that I haven't gotten a good night's sleep for 35 years.

dar512 02-11-2006 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dagney
I learned that if I don't get a good night's sleep, I'm a bitch.

I also learned that I haven't gotten a good night's sleep for 35 years.

:lol2: Made me laugh out loud. Aren't you supposed to put a "swallow drink before reading" warning on stuff like this?

Beestie 02-11-2006 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble
I learned that I only need a day's worth of trial-and-error to be better at programming with XML and Director than the guy at our company whose job it is to do those things.

Seeing as how he still gets paid more than I do, this didn't really please me.

So barge into the boss' office and demand a raise. Or a promotion. Or both. Seriously.

Clodfobble 02-11-2006 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beestie
So barge into the boss' office and demand a raise. Or a promotion. Or both. Seriously.

Meh--I don't want a promotion. I'm a contractor. This job is about as far from "career-advancing" as it could be; I'm just riding it out until I leave the full-time workforce indefinitely in May. I suppose I could ask for more money for the next three months, but that might give them the idea I want to stay there, if only the right offer were made. Truth is, I hate the place with a violent passion and I'm only there because they pay me more than temp work would and I can quit in May with a clear conscience (I have a huge guilt-complex about leaving any job where I feel they "need" me). It's really more about what an incompetent man this so-called programmer is.

elSicomoro 02-11-2006 03:53 PM

I learned this week that my employer has more chuckleheads than I originally thought. I think I also finally figured out my career calling: training and development. I need to think on that some more.