The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Recent Movies You've Seen? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=21617)

Gravdigr 02-15-2010 01:17 PM

Doubt, Lawman, & Seven Pounds

Happy Monkey 02-15-2010 01:29 PM

The Last Station. Excellent cast. Able to make a story I was indifferent about into an extremely moving film.

glatt 02-15-2010 02:12 PM

We saw Zombieland on Saturday night. It was what you would expect. A fun zombie movie. I didn't realize Bill Murray had a big cameo as himself. Funny at times, with a few jump scenes, but mostly just a fun mindless flick.

Cloud 02-15-2010 02:23 PM

Saw Percy Jackson & the Lightning Thief. Very special for me, because of my grandson. Very enjoyable--casting was spot on. Uma Thurman as Medusa was fantastic!

squirell nutkin 02-15-2010 11:23 PM

Read the plot synopsis for the original wickerman on wikipedia (coincidence) last night. Do I get partial credit?

Pico and ME 02-16-2010 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 634814)
We saw Zombieland on Saturday night. It was what you would expect. A fun zombie movie. I didn't realize Bill Murray had a big cameo as himself. Funny at times, with a few jump scenes, but mostly just a fun mindless flick.

I loved the scene where the kid drops his keys and realizing that he doesn't have enough time to retrieve them before the zombie gets to him, decides to take another lap around the parking lot. :D

glatt 02-16-2010 07:49 AM

There was some good physical comedy there.

Spexxvet 02-16-2010 07:52 AM

Always double tap. :D

Watched The Hurt Locker. Bleh. Tried to watch Sherlock Holmes. Gave up after 45 minutes. Enjoyed The Invention of Lying.

DanaC 02-16-2010 08:23 AM

People keep telling me to see Holmes. But I used to be a massive Holmes fan...I just can't see the big budget, swashbuckling, Hollywood treatment is going to be a good thing.

Especially not whilst Big Finish are doing a brilliant job of reworking Holmes on audio. Roger Llewelyn (i think that's the fellah) did a one man stage show in which Holmes is returning from Watson's funeral. The whole thing is a monologue, with Holmes imagining conversations with Watson, and relating previous adventures. He does all the different voices, it's an amazing performance. BF have adapted it for audio, with Llyewlyn doing it as a one man performance again. His Holmes is so wonderful. Wry and dark.

Well...whadayaknow, I've talked myself out of seeing it again.

The Invention of Lying is a lovely film. I really liked it.

Pico and ME 02-16-2010 09:14 AM

I liked Sherlock Holmes, but I really enjoy Robert Downey Jr. in most anything I see him in. Same goes for Jude law. No, this isnt a typically cerebral Sherlock Holmes story - in fact one review I read likened it to a Scooby Doo plot :D - but it was a lot a fun.

jujuwwhite 02-17-2010 10:31 PM

Saw the movie called 'The Orphan'. It was advertised as a thriller and it truly was especially if you paid attention to the underlying meanings behind some of the scenes. Had a really cool twist to it.

Trilby 02-21-2010 08:16 AM

The Stepfather - broke down and let the son watch it on MOD.

Huuuuuuuge chunk of cheese.

XAgent 02-22-2010 08:57 PM

I just watched the film "Crazy Heart".

I dunno.. I was growing kinda bored of watching Jeff Bridges' character with his freakin' fly down. And Maggie Gyllenhaal's little romance with him was kind of awkward. The ending was at least positive, imo.

wolf 03-10-2010 01:35 PM

Saw Shutter Island last Saturday. It's one of those extremely rare cases where I've liked the movie better than the book. Because I actively avoid watching pre-press, I wasn't aware that the movie was directed by Martin Scorsese until the end credits ran.

jujuwwhite 03-13-2010 05:42 AM

Capn and I went to see AVATAR before his surgery. It was a long movie but well worth it! It was excellent!