The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   British Telly (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=26192)

Sundae 04-07-2012 03:27 PM

V, I think the commentary of Shaun is worth listening to compared to other commentaries which I have found to be :zzz:
It was the first one I listened to more than once and the first one that gave me any interesting insight into the film. YMMV. Can you tell I'm nervous in case I over-egged it?

My opinion that the DVDs are worth buying simply for the commentaries mostly applies to tLoG though. Four very funny men with unusual senses of humour and sources of inspration I had never heard of (I've looked many of them up, believe me) in a room with some water and a playback. They go very slightly insane and some of their best lines are in the commentary. It doesn't really translate. An impression of Mr Kipling. Reece saying "Look at that cat!" Jeremy saying, "And the rest!" or doing an impression of a chainsaw in the distance. Made me weep with laughter when I first heard it.

Back to Shaun - if you already have it you have nothing to lose. I enjoyed the first two commentaries. But the second is more luvvie. Pegg & Wright are a great team.

richlevy 04-07-2012 11:25 PM

The IT Crowd. I am so sorry that we don't get this here in the states. It looks like they tried a U.S. version that tanked.

DanaC 04-08-2012 05:56 AM

IT Crowd rocks. I wish they were making more series.

I have now totally forgiven Being Human (UK) its change in direction. No, it is not the show it was. But yes, it works in its own way. It had to either end with Mitchell or change completely and they went with the latter. I was very dubious after the first episode, but am now sold. I really like the new characters, Hal in particular, and I also really like the increased role for Socha's character.

Though the plotlines are now far more about Being Supernatural than they are about Being Human, the show still has a healthy dose of the low key domestic humour which made the original so much fun (to me).

I've been catching up on their series prequels. Here's Tom's. Tom is a young werewolf. After he lost his 'dad' in the last series he's now living in Wales and looking for a job.

Hal and Leo's prequel.

Hal is an old vampire. Very powerful. Leo is a werewolf who's been kidnapped, chained up and forced to fight for entertainment. By the time we meet these two in the present day they are old friends.

Ref. point: The Battle of Orsha was in 1514.

DanaC 04-09-2012 01:16 PM

This almost belongs in a radio thread...

Radio4 has been running the comedy panel game 'Just a Minute' for 45 years. To celebrate this anniversary, the BBC have televised the most recent series.

The host Nicholas Parsons has been there from the start.

wolf 04-09-2012 04:56 PM

I have also occasionally watched the IT Crowd, thanks to netflix instant. Funny, but I don't watch it frequently, I have a lot of other stuff to catch up on. I tried Being Human when it first started on BBCAmerica, but it didn't click for me.

DanaC 04-10-2012 07:52 AM

One of my favourite programmes is a series of interviews by Mark Lawson. His interviews are very in depth. Here's his interview with Stephen Fry

Part 1:

Clodfobble 04-10-2012 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf
I tried Being Human when it first started on BBCAmerica, but it didn't click for me.

Have you tried the US version? It has a very different style, and the plot deviates completely.

DanaC 04-10-2012 09:41 AM

Oh, I love the SyFy take on Being Human. Amazing that the two shows can be so very different whilst still feeling related. I watch them both and get something entirely different from each.

I decided to go have a revisit with Luther.

DanaC 04-13-2012 07:20 AM

This is actually British radio, but I don't wanna start a whole other thread...

It's just a brilliant little panel show. I think I may have posted some before somewhere, but here's one anyway:

The Unbelievable Truth

DanaC 04-14-2012 05:59 AM

Series 4 of That Mitchell and Webb Look is now available on dah toob.

DanaC 04-15-2012 04:21 AM

Yey! Series 6 of WILTY is underway. One of my favourite shows!

Here's ep 1 of the new series:

Happy Monkey 04-15-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 798448)
Hm. So Being Human is going to continue with just one of its four major cast members.

Annnd, down to zero.

It was pretty good, and I do sort of like New Ghost, so I'll definitely keep watching.

glatt 04-15-2012 08:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Am I the only Downton Abbey fan in this place?

We toured the place, called Highclere Castle, when we were there.

Attachment 38311
Attachment 38312

DanaC 04-16-2012 03:53 AM

Nice photo!

I have never actually watched Downton. It's there in the zeitgeist but I've only ever seen ads and clips.

Sundae 04-16-2012 11:41 AM

I'm loving these photos of you scattered about, Glatt.
Like a little Easter Egg Hunt.