The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Christmas Food (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=18537)

busterb 12-17-2008 09:13 PM

Ali. A great looking cake. I've got all the junk together for date nut bread, to be baked in the small Bunt pans. 6 per pan= 12. Maybe. If this goes bad, I'll be unhappy. The cost of 2 cups of nuts + 4 cups of dates. :smack:
Think I'll check the fruitcake seasoning, again. :bolt:

dar512 12-18-2008 09:48 AM

Ali, that cake is beautiful. How will you bear to cut it?

LabRat 12-18-2008 01:00 PM

Your fruitcakes are gorgeous!!!

Yeah, those balls are 'heavy', but sooooooo yummy. You eat one. Then you walk away. Then you come back and eat another the next time you pass through the kitchen. Then you put them in the fridge. Then later you need to get the milk, and see them, and take out 2, one for now one for later. After you eat them both back to back, you force yourself to go to the basement to fold laundry to get out of the kitchen...

I should rename them PB Debbil Balls :).

Aliantha 12-18-2008 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dar512 (Post 514768)
Ali, that cake is beautiful. How will you bear to cut it?

We've managed to cut every one before. I don't think this one will be any different. ;)

Besides, the funnest part for me is watching people enjoy eating it. :)

Aliantha 12-18-2008 03:39 PM

LR...I think if my digestion was normal I'd be having the same troubles with those things. As it is I'm having a hard time keeping them away from the kids. lol

Urbane Guerrilla 12-21-2008 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 514234)
I have no idea!
Crusts... is that the same as bases?
Because I like a biscuit base on a cheesecake...

I think I am too far away for any of this to make sense!

As you heard, yes, I think it is. Only it goes up the sides of the pie pan too, like a short crust.

To be sure about it, look at the lemon meringue pie recipe in Most Recent Recipe; it's got the crumb crust. Very easy really: pulverize graham crackers, add a little sugar, mix in melted butter until the texture and appearance reminds you exactly of beach sand just damp enough for sandcastles, and smooth it into place in the pie pan with the back of a spoon, cook a few minutes at 350 F. Don't press it in really hard or you may have real trouble getting slices up out of the pan after baking. Just medium firm, so it stays where you want it.

Clodfobble 12-22-2008 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt
This is the recipe for the curried walnuts I sent for Cellar secret santa...

Oh wow, I made a batch of these today and they are awesome! The plan was to give little containers of them to all my relatives on Christmas, and I had to force myself to package them up before I accidentally ate them all. Tell Mrs. Glatt that our house is stealing her Christmas tradition from here on out.

Beestie 12-23-2008 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloud (Post 497907)
pickles, ick. I would not favor someone who gave me pickled anything for Christmas.

Oh, I would. :yum:

I pickle everything from eggs (British pub style - mmmmm) to onions to japaleņos to New Orleans pickle meat (for cajun red beans and rice).

Sundae 12-23-2008 06:10 AM

I love anything pickled. Saying that, I've never had pickled walnuts. Not being big on nuts anyway, they might be a step too far.

The pickles are out in force in the fridge right now. Onions, beetroot, red cabbage, and gerkins. In the cupboard are Branston pickle and piccalilli. Oh and my jalapenos I suppose (never really thought of them as pickles but of course you're right).

glatt 12-23-2008 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 516050)
Oh wow, I made a batch of these today and they are awesome! The plan was to give little containers of them to all my relatives on Christmas, and I had to force myself to package them up before I accidentally ate them all. Tell Mrs. Glatt that our house is stealing her Christmas tradition from here on out.

:)

busterb 12-23-2008 06:30 PM

I won't go so far as saying New Orleans pickle meat (for cajun red beans and rice).. But pickeled meat is the bee's knee for red beans and rice.
What I'm trying to say is, a coonass thing. Not just NO. And great for cooking any dried beans.

Aliantha 12-23-2008 08:46 PM

Mmmmmm...pickled pork...

zippyt 12-24-2008 08:46 PM

Here is Our Xmas Feast ,
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3119/...db56db52_b.jpg

I been needen that Pate Taste !!
The Gouda and the Sweet Hot mustard was the Stand out !!

The Tradition Continues !!!!!

jinx 12-24-2008 09:42 PM

Aw man, is that the farmer cheese that burns the lining of your nostrils out? I love that stuff...

zippyt 12-24-2008 09:59 PM

Naa this farmers cheese is be nine , smooth suttle easy to eats stuff