The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Commonly mispronounced words (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9584)

footfootfoot 11-28-2005 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclefrance
Cunning linguists? (mispronounced?)

Or Master debators?

Trilby 11-28-2005 07:28 AM

Like when some hip-hop, trash-talking, "can I axe yew..." saying ebonics-loving moron then gets all Right and Proper and says Aunt like "Ahhhh-unt".

I hate that.

Cyclefrance 11-28-2005 10:30 AM

How about mixed metaphors - one guy in our office a few years back used to say quite regularly that he would keep his ear to the grindstone to see if anything cropped up....

Sundae 11-28-2005 10:33 AM

I knew someone who claimed to have "eagle ears" meaning he had good hearing...

BigV 11-28-2005 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclefrance
How about mixed metaphors - one guy in our office a few years back used to say quite regularly that he would keep his ear to the grindstone to see if anything cropped up....

From what I see here it sounds like you should start a malaprop thread...

BigV 11-28-2005 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl
I knew someone who claimed to have "eagle ears" meaning he had good hearing...

I've heard that one too :lol: Then he followed it up with "...good eye - vision..." I'm still scratching my head.

melidasaur 11-28-2005 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonchi

And speaking of this ebonics BS, raise your hand if you have not gritted your teeth to powder everytime a black person being interviewed says "ax" instead of "asked"?

Amen to that!!!

mrnoodle 11-28-2005 01:25 PM

I dated a girl who pronounced 'lightning' (2 syllables, weather phenomenon) as 'lightninin' (3 syllables). I finally sat down with her and made her sound out the 2 syllables separately, which she did fine. Put em together, though, and the magical 3rd "in" gets attached. She had a master's degree, but refused to pronounce it right, because her daddy said it that way.

I fed her to hogs.

With a side of "pasghetti".

Dad and mom went to "hy-WY-ah" and whilst attending a luau, heard some pretty GIT-tar music.

Dad also calls the German car manufacturer "mar-say-deez". The other is "Volswagon"

The British one is Jagwire.

xoxoxoBruce 11-28-2005 05:28 PM

Lightning is a noun. Lightningin' is a verb. ;)

Question;
A Vegan, as in non-meateater. Is it pronounced Vej-en or Veg-en?

Cyclefrance 11-28-2005 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Question;
A Vegan, as in non-meateater. Is it pronounced Vej-en or Veg-en?

Just to make it more awkward - over here you hear people saying both Vay-gan and Vee-gan....

BigV 11-28-2005 05:36 PM

I have only heard vee-gen, with the "g" as in "get".

dar512 11-28-2005 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrnoodle
The British one is Jagwire.

I was shocked the first time I heard a commercial for Jaguar. Evidently the British think there are three syllables in there. Even though I'm an Anglophile and tend to overdo most things, I can't bring myself to pronounce it that way.

I did once use the English spelling for "colour" in a spelling test. I knew it would be counted incorrect, but this was a sophomore high school class and I had to do something to entertain myself.

Sundae 11-29-2005 03:14 AM

How is Jaguar pronounced in the States then? Assume its Jag-waar. That sounds funny to me :lol:

I always smile when I hear the American pronunciation of "Caribbean" - I know its not wrong, its just different (that could apply to me sometimes!) It's still funny to my ears. For the record we say "Carry-BEE-ann"

Cyclefrance 11-29-2005 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl
How is Jaguar pronounced in the States then? Assume its Jag-waar. That sounds funny to me :lol:

I always smile when I hear the American pronunciation of "Caribbean" - I know its not wrong, its just different (that could apply to me sometimes!) It's still funny to my ears. For the record we say "Carry-BEE-ann"

My geminian split personality comes into play with tis one - at home I say as you have written, but at work, in shipping world, say 'caribb-e-an (or Caribbs for short!)

Trilby 11-29-2005 09:22 AM

People round here call a Jag-waar this: "One of them there ferr-in cars." :lol:

The only reason I know to say Jag-U-ahr is because of Pink Floyd.