The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's mildly amusing you today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=20235)

DanaC 12-10-2012 11:28 AM

The thing is, on foot, I can always eventually find where I need to be. But sometimes I may have gone a very circuitous route :p And I sometimes need someone to tell me the overall direction I need to be heading in.

That's all I want from them. Which general direction. Start throwing streetnames and left turns and T-junctions at me and I've already stopped listening. Because I'm stuck four instructions back from where they're at and have already forgotten instructions one and two.

General direction, one or two landmarks and get me a bit nearer so I can ask someone else for the next bit of direction. Absolutely no point my even attempting to follow full instructions in one go.

But I can't imagine trying to figure my way in a car. Particularly in cities with one way systems and ringroads and stuff.

Clodfobble 12-27-2012 11:00 PM

I am a mean mommy.

Minifob jumps out of bed at 6:00 am sharp everyday, regardless of how tired he is. He could easily go back to sleep for another hour or more, but it's become an obsession--he says his favorite number is six and is brought to tears at the suggestion that we might ask him to stay in bed longer.

The holiday schedule has resulted in even less sleep than usual, plus we're both sick. We could certainly stand to sleep in past dawn. So before saying goodnight, I stealthily set his bedroom clock back an hour. Sucker.

zippyt 12-27-2012 11:04 PM

where the hell is that like button !!!

classicman 12-27-2012 11:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here it is ...

Griff 12-28-2012 07:31 AM

Ha! Well played.

footfootfoot 12-28-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 845544)
I am a mean mommy.

Minifob jumps out of bed at 6:00 am sharp everyday, regardless of how tired he is. He could easily go back to sleep for another hour or more, but it's become an obsession--he says his favorite number is six and is brought to tears at the suggestion that we might ask him to stay in bed longer.

The holiday schedule has resulted in even less sleep than usual, plus we're both sick. We could certainly stand to sleep in past dawn. So before saying goodnight, I stealthily set his bedroom clock back an hour. Sucker.

Evil Genius

Pete Zicato 12-28-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 845544)
So before saying goodnight, I stealthily set his bedroom clock back an hour. Sucker.

[Jurassic Park]Clever Girl[/Jurassic Park]

Nirvana 12-28-2012 01:07 PM

A girls gotta do what a girls gotta do ;)

Clodfobble 12-28-2012 05:41 PM

More amusement: We've discovered that our new oven has a "Sabbath mode."

For those not aware, there's this small, strange overlap of people who feel they must strictly observe the Jewish rule of "no work" on the Sabbath, and yet are too modern to give up any of the stuff they like to do on Saturdays that doesn't involve contemplating God in one's home all day. So you get weird rationalizations like, "you can ride in an elevator, but you can't push the buttons," such that elevators in "Sabbath mode" will automatically stop on every floor.

When Sabbath mode is engaged, the oven basically stays on for 12 hours, with the interior light and digital display functions disabled. Like the elevator, you can put stuff in it, and if it happens to be hot and cook your food, well, God will understand that you were an unwitting bystander to the work that your gentile appliance was doing.

Better hope the local firefighters don't observe the Sabbath when you accidentally set your kitchen on fire.

Pete Zicato 12-31-2012 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 845617)
More amusement: We've discovered that our new oven has a "Sabbath mode."

Now if it had a "Black Sabbath mode", that would be really cool. :D

Trilby 12-31-2012 07:11 AM

:gentile appliance:

and

:Black Sabbath mode:

are both wins.

Chocolatl 01-02-2013 05:07 PM

Two sales people came to my door today and tried to sell me salad.

Cookies, water softeners, yard services, carpet cleaning... but salad?

ZenGum 01-03-2013 04:33 AM

Uhh, as in green salad?

Chocolatl 01-03-2013 07:45 AM

As in, "All you need is a big bowl and we will prepare for you a fresh and delicious salad!" Then they handed me a flyer with information about the health benefits of foods like spinach and zucchini.

infinite monkey 01-03-2013 07:51 AM

Ahhh, don't fall for it. That's the lesser known Big Bowl Scam. They steal these big bowls from people and use them to make stools for the kids in China to stand on so they can reach the manufacturing line. You get a nice fresh salad, sure, but all the Chinese kids get is hard labor.