The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Congress has lost its mind... (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=5891)

TheMercenary 04-08-2010 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redux (Post 647257)
So I take it that you are not interested in an objective/moderated discussion where you have to justify your opinion and not simply attack.

I propose UT as moderator...our own Tm Russert or Tony Snow...two late (but only one great) talking head/moderators types.

Let me know if you change your mind and we can set the rules with UT.

All I did was ask you to dispute the assessment of my post. Can you or can't you? Really, I am interested. Dispute what she stated, which I generally agree with. "I am all ears." (RP)

Redux 04-08-2010 09:04 PM

I know from experience that what ever I say, you will jump in with a charge of "failed" or "propaganda"

Why should I continue to play by your rules.

Make it a level playing field and we can discuss any issue you want.

Are you really that afraid to have a moderated discussion?

Let me know if you change your mind.

TheMercenary 04-08-2010 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redux (Post 647262)
I know from experience that what ever I say, you will jump in with a charge of "failed" or "propaganda"

Why should I continue to play by your rules.

Make it a level playing field and we can discuss any issue you want.

Are you really that afraid to have a moderated discussion?

Let me know if you change your mind.

All I did was ask you to dispute the assessment of my post. Can you or can't you? Really, I am interested. Dispute what she stated, which I generally agree with. "I am all ears." (RP)

Undertoad 04-08-2010 09:14 PM

I'd be happy to moderate. I have a decent familiarity with Robert's Rules, spent time in Toastmasters, and took PHI 201: Logic from an excellent prof.

TheMercenary 04-08-2010 09:18 PM

Another good assessment... About the Tea Party and reporting of their actions

Quote:

PRESS MAN • ANDREW FERGUSON

Teatime at the Times

The tiny corner of the New York Times empire where David Barstow works is called the investigative unit. The name has an impressive urgency to it, like the title of a TV spin-off—CSI: Times Investigative Unit. You can imagine guys in Weejuns and khakis getting a hot tip and springing into action, yanking their tweed coats off the backs of chairs and shouting something irreverent and ironical over their shoulders as they bolt for the newsroom door.

Perhaps a new “torture memo” has been leaked; maybe a politician has committed an act of creative accounting on Supplement B (3) subpart vii of his financial-disclosure form. Or maybe a large number of Americans way out there in the land beyond the Bronx have been caught holding political opinions that are dangerously bizarre. TIU is on the case.

These strange-thinking Americans, loosely roped together as the Tea Party movement, sent David Barstow on his most recent investigation. His assignment lasted for five uninterrupted months and bore literary fruit, with a 4,500-word front-page story on February 16. “Tea Party Lights Fuse for Rebellion on Right,” the headline read—aptly enough, for a premonitory suggestion of bombs going off just over the horizon rumbled through Barstow’s story. To the astute Times reader lingering with the paper over breakfast, the hints were unmistakable.

There was the dateline, for one thing: Sandpoint, Idaho. The reader might rub his chin?.?.?.?-Sandpoint? Vaguely familiar...rings a bell...let’s see...Wait! God Almighty! Yes, that Sandpoint, notorious 15 years ago as the home of gun-slinging Randy Weaver and his Ruby Ridge survivalist compound, the headquarters of the Aryan Nation group of gun owners, a hothouse of gun-owning militias and paramilitary groups with their guns?.?.?.
Continues...

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/vi...times-i--15416

Redux 04-08-2010 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 647265)
I'd be happy to moderate. I have a decent familiarity with Robert's Rules, spent time in Toastmasters, and took PHI 201: Logic from an excellent prof.

I propose a live "real time" discussion.....in the chat room.... just point me in the right direction.

No links to someone else's opinion, no time for google searches between posts....just responding to questions in our own words based on our knowledge of the issues.

We can decide on topics, rules, etc...but leave the specific questions to UT, with no advance notice.

What could be more fair?

Just need the other side represented!

TheMercenary 04-08-2010 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redux (Post 647280)
I propose a live "real time" discussion.....in the chat room.... just point me in the right direction.

No links to someone else's opinion, no time for google searches between posts....just responding to questions in our own words based on our knowledge of the issues.

We can decide on topics, rules, etc...but leave the specific questions to UT, with no advance notice.

What could be more fair?

Just need the other side represented!

No one gives a shit. Let's just meet in person. Bring your weapon of choice. :)

Shawnee123 04-09-2010 07:20 AM

It's not a threat. It's a SMILIE.

Hahahhahaaaa...a moderated discussion...great suggestion UT but it seems only one of them is willing.

Redux 04-09-2010 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 647319)

Hahahhahaaaa...a moderated discussion...great suggestion UT but it seems only one of them is willing.

I am disappointed but not surprised.

Particularly in light of:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 647209)
...I accept my responsibility in the exchange but will not waver from my convictions of my statements...

So much for having the courage of one's conviction! I only see a willingness to play by his rules where he is prosecutor, judge and jury of any opinion that challenges his.

Its easy have convictions when you set the rules....a little tougher when you are asked to defend your convictions on a level playing field.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 647216)
So what is your solution?

Allow his propaganda to stand on it's merit?

Or willing to accept a fair and objective solution with an impartial moderator calling out any propaganda on either side.

Perhaps if I suggest that each side add another player (so as not to put too much pressure on Merc alone) ....a tag team match. I want TW, hell, he has been accused of poor communication skills so that should be fair. :)

Shawnee123 04-09-2010 08:01 AM

The other side's second person can be UG...kinda level the playing field. ;)

Can't be me, I couldn't debate my way out of a paper bag.

Redux 04-09-2010 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 647323)
The other side's second person can be UG...kinda level the playing field. ;)

The battle of the Cellar stars!

The "Mouth of the South" and the "Manly Freedom Fighter" vs the sub-adult "Lily Liberal Demoncrats"

Shawnee123 04-09-2010 08:20 AM

I'm gonna be on Dancing With the Cellar Stars!

Redux 04-15-2010 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 647329)
I'm gonna be on Dancing With the Cellar Stars!

Unfortunately, there will be no post-discussion dancing in the Cellar due to someone in the proposed main event having cold feet. ;)

TheMercenary 04-15-2010 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redux (Post 649173)
Unfortunately, there will be no post-discussion dancing in the Cellar due to someone in the proposed main event having cold feet. :cry:

Waaaaaaaaaaaaa..... poor baby.

TheMercenary 04-15-2010 05:48 PM

Taxpayers foot State Department's stiff liquor bill

Quote:

Months after President Obama urged federal agencies last year to cut wasteful spending, the U.S. Department of State paid $3,814 to fill an order of Jack Daniel's whiskey for gratuities at one of its many overseas embassies.

The booze buy wasn't unusual.

Last year alone, the State Department sent taxpayers tabs totaling nearly $300,000 for alcoholic beverages — about twice as much compared to the previous year, according to an analysis of spending records by The Washington Times.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...f-liquor-bill/

Madman 04-16-2010 09:00 AM

Alcohol consumed in moderate quantities is good for the urinary tract system. It's a health and safety issue. :)

Spexxvet 04-16-2010 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 647319)

Because the other one is a retarded dittohead.

Spexxvet 04-16-2010 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 649178)
Taxpayers foot State Department's stiff liquor bill

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...f-liquor-bill/

The Washington Times is a repubican talking point rag. Come up with a legitimate source, merk

TheMercenary 04-16-2010 03:08 PM

For those of you who love the CBO...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-to-90-of-gdp/

glatt 04-16-2010 03:11 PM

Oh, you showed him, using the Times as a source right after he complained about it!

TheMercenary 04-16-2010 03:29 PM

:)

TheMercenary 04-16-2010 03:42 PM

A Victory for Obama's Agenda of Spreading Dependency
By George Will

Quote:

Barack Obama hopes his famous health care victory will mark him as a transformative president. History, however, may judge it to have been his missed opportunity to be one.

Health care will not be seriously revisited for at least a generation, so the system's costliest defect -- untaxed employer-provided insurance, which entangles a high-inflation commodity, health care, with the wage system -- remains. Obama could not challenge this without adopting measures -- e.g., tax credits for individuals, enabling them to shop for their own insurance -- that empower individuals and therefore conflict with his party's agenda of spreading dependency.

On Sunday, as will happen every day for two decades, another 10,000 baby boomers became eligible for Social Security and Medicare. And Congress moved closer to piling a huge new middle-class entitlement onto the rickety structure of America's Ponzi welfare state. Congress has a one-word response to the demographic deluge and the scores of trillions of dollars of unfunded liabilities: "More."

There will be subsidized health insurance for families of four earning up to $88,200 a year, a ceiling certain to be raised, repeatedly. The accounting legerdemain spun to make this seem affordable -- e.g., cuts (to Medicare) and taxes (on high-value insurance plans) that will never happen-- is Enronesque.

As America's teetering tower of unkeepable promises grows, so does the weight of government, in taxes and mandates that limit investments and discourage job creation. America's dynamism, and hence upward social mobility, will slow, as the economy becomes what the party of government wants it to be -- increasingly dependent on government-created demand.

Promoting dependency is the Democratic Party's vocation. It knows that almost all entitlements are forever, and those that are not -- e.g., the lifetime eligibility for welfare, repealed in 1996 -- are not for the middle class. Democrats believe, plausibly, that middle-class entitlements are instantly addictive and, because there is no known detoxification, that class, when facing future choices between trimming entitlements or increasing taxes, will choose the latter. The taxes will disproportionately burden high earners, thereby tightening the noose of society's dependency on government for investments and job-creation.

Politics in a democracy is transactional: Politicians seek votes by promising to do things for voters, who seek promises in exchange for their votes. Because logrolling is how legislative coalitions are cobbled together in a continental nation, the auction by which reluctant House Democrats were purchased has been disillusioning only to sentimentalists with illusions about society's stock of disinterestedness.

Besides, some of the transactions were almost gorgeous: Government policy having helped make water scarce in California's Central Valley, the party of expanding government secured two votes by increasing rations of the scarcity. Thus did one dependency lubricate legislation that establishes others.

The bill is a museum of hoary artifacts from liberalism's attic. The identity politics of quasi-quotas? The secretary of health and human services "in awarding grants and contracts under this section ... shall give preferences to entities that have a demonstrated record of ...training individuals who are from underrepresented minority groups or disadvantaged backgrounds." And the bill creates an Advisory Council on Green, High-Performing Public School Facilities, and grants for "retrofitting necessary to increase the energy efficiency and water efficiency of public school facilities."

The public will now think the health care system is what Democrats want it to be. Dissatisfaction with it will intensify because increasingly complex systems are increasingly annoying. And because Democrats promised the implausible -- prompt and noticeable improvements in the system.

Forbidding insurance companies to deny coverage to persons because of pre-existing conditions, thereby making the risk pool more risky, will increase the cost of premiums. Public complaints will be smothered by more subsidies. So dependency will grow.

Seeking a silver lining? Now, perhaps, comes Thermidor.

That was the name of the month in the French Revolutionary calendar in which Robespierre fell. To historians, Thermidor denotes any era of waning political ardor. Congressional Democrats will not soon be herded into other self-wounding votes -- e.g., for a cap-and-trade carbon rationing scheme as baroque as the health legislation. During the Democrats' health care monomania, the nation benefited from the benign neglect of the rest of their agenda. Now the nation may benefit from the exhaustion of their appetite for more political risk.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/art...cy_104865.html

classicman 04-16-2010 03:49 PM

Merc - Perhaps you could start your own thread - "Merc's Madness" - and put all the links there.

TheMercenary 04-16-2010 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 649508)
Merc - Perhaps you could start your own thread - "Merc's Madness" - and put all the links there.

What? you don't want me to post the ones you send me!:D

TheMercenary 05-04-2010 08:26 PM

There is a GOD!

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/...bomb-rais.html

Griff 05-05-2010 05:39 AM

I filled out my RNC Census form last night. It is an odd little document. They could actually get some valuable information out of it but much of it is push poll. I hadn't realized how totally the GOP had lost my trust when it comes to the issues conservatives are supposed to understand.

classicman 05-05-2010 12:23 PM

Wow really, Griff? What was that? I'd love to see a copy.
<off to look online>

classicman 05-05-2010 12:40 PM

found it. Here

Griff 05-05-2010 04:12 PM

That's the thing. Section 2 #3 is the one that clued me in to my level of distrust. A decade ago I'd have given the Republicans 6 or 8 of those issues. Yesterday, I gave them zero. The Dems got a few and I used no opinion as my catch all.

classicman 05-05-2010 05:24 PM

Its so just ridiculous. you cannot answer some of the questions, based upon the wording and/or options given, without agreeing or giving more ammunition to the party and their talking points.
See section III question 4, 5, 10, 13, 16 just as a start.

Redux 05-05-2010 06:25 PM

The bigger issue is that after the RNC did this earlier in the year, Congress unanimously passed (and Obama signed) a law to prohibit such mailings....and the fact that it was not just a push poll, but a fund raising appeal as well.

Quote:

The legislation, H.R.4621, the Prevent Deceptive Census Look-Alike Mailings Act, would require any mailing with an envelope marked “Census” to clearly indicate the sender and return address. It would also trigger an existing requirement in federal law to include a disclaimer that the mailing is not from, or affiliated with, the federal government. The bill would not prohibit the use of the word “Census” on a mailing, but the mailer must make clear that it is NOT sent by the United States Censu
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-4621

And, the RNC did it again with this more recent mailing.

The mailing is currently under investigation by the US Postal Service. The likely outcome, the RNC might be fined.....probably less than it raised from the mailing.

Urbane Guerrilla 05-08-2010 10:54 PM

This Corries song "Liberty" would play pretty well at TEA Parties even though all of its references are Scottish.

Quote:

Words: George Weir
Music Roy Williamson

By the cross our Andrew bore
By the sword oor Wiliam wore
By the croon oor Robert swore
Tae win oor Liberty
Ca' the falcon frae the glen
Ca' the agle frae the ben
Ca' the lion frae his den
Tae win oor Liberty

By the man wha's faith was old
By the man they sold for gold
By the man they'll never hold
Tae win oor Liberty
Ca' the thieves o' Liddesdale
ca' the spears o' Annandale
Ca' the brave of Yattowvale
Tae win oor Liberty

By the arm that bends the bow
By the arm that plies the blow
By the arm that lays them low
Tae win oor Liberty
ca' the banners frae the west
Ca' the raven frae his nest
Ca' the clans that dance the best
Tae win oor Liberty

By the field that once was green
By the shield that's silver sheen
By the sword in battle keen
Tae win oor Liberty
Bless the man wha's faith we hold
Bless the man in chains they sold
Bless the man in cloth o' gold
Wha won oor Liberty

The references to "The man sold for gold" would be Wallace, and the man in cloth of gold would be Bruce.

It's probably more about the Wars of INdependence in general rather than just Bannockburn.

The song is a comparatively modern one...(I'd guess the mid 70's), and George Weir wrote several songs that the Corries sang.

TheMercenary 05-16-2010 06:35 AM

Quote:

WASHINGTON — The federal budget deficit hit an all-time high for April as the government kept spending to aid the recovery while revenue fell sharply.

The Treasury Department said Wednesday the April deficit soared to $82.7 billion. That was significantly higher than last year's April deficit of $20 billion and the largest imbalance for that month on record.

The government normally runs surpluses in April as millions of taxpayers file their income tax returns. However, income tax payments were down this April, reflecting the impact of the recession which has pushed millions of people out of work.

Total revenues for April were down 7.9 percent from a year ago.

The Obama administration forecast in February that the deficit for this year will hit an all-time high of $1.56 trillion, surpassing the current record $1.4 trillion set last year. Many private economists believe this year's imbalance will be closer to last year's figure and that deficits will remain high for years to come.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...XknwQD9FLISG82

classicman 05-19-2010 01:19 PM

Next year's budget is sinking in deep red ink
Quote:

The chance that the majority Democrats will pass a budget this year is “fading,” Senate Budget Committee Chairman Kent Conrad (D-N.D.) said Tuesday.

He is pessimistic because House Democrats don’t know whether they want to pass a resolution that would officially acknowledge the certainty of big deficits. House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) and other Democrats have indicated that would be a tough vote in an election year.

One option Conrad said his staff is now looking at is a deeming resolution.

Like an actual budget measure, the deeming resolution would set the discretionary spending levels for the next fiscal year. But unlike a budget resolution, the deeming resolution would allow Democrats to avoid laying out their fiscal policies for 2011 and beyond.

Centrist House Democrats have been wary of voting for a budget resolution because it’s likely to project large deficits. Republicans have hammered Democrats over the budget deficit, which they blame on Democratic spending.

The Congressional Budget Office has estimated that President Barack Obama’s policies would lead to deficits averaging nearly $1 trillion over the next decade.

The House and Senate together have failed to pass a final budget resolution on numerous occasions, including in 1998, 2002, 2004 and 2006. Republicans held both chambers in those Congresses with the exception of 2002, when Democrats controlled the Senate.
Link
The fiscal irresponsibility of this is just astounding. Didn't they just pace a law recently that there would be no additional spending that would increase the deficit? How the heck is that gonna happen if they don't create a budget first?
Oi'!

Redux 05-19-2010 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 657221)
Next year's budget is sinking in deep red ink

Link
The fiscal irresponsibility of this is just astounding. Didn't they just pace a law recently that there would be no additional spending that would increase the deficit? How the heck is that gonna happen if they don't create a budget first?
Oi'!

Please tell me how not passing a budget resolution is fiscally irresponsible....considering it is only a non-biding resolution...is not sent to the president...and not signed into law.

classicman 05-19-2010 06:17 PM

Then what is the point?

Redux 05-19-2010 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 657308)
Then what is the point?

The point is the budget resolution has been ignored numerous times in recent years (as pointed out in your link) and ultimately has no impact on the budget.

All that matters are the appropriation bills.

classicman 05-19-2010 06:44 PM

So there is no point to doing this at all and its just a total waste of how many man hours and taxpayers money on this worthless nothing. Great - I feel so much better now.

Redux 05-19-2010 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 657343)
So there is no point to doing this at all and its just a total waste of how many man hours and taxpayers money on this worthless nothing. Great - I feel so much better now.

I would encourage you to read up on the budget process before making sweeping statements about the lack of a budget resolution being fiscally irresponsible. :)

TheMercenary 05-20-2010 03:04 PM

The Stimulus Package failed. This will be no different.

jinx 05-20-2010 05:59 PM

classicman 05-20-2010 07:52 PM

Great video Jinx.

Quote:

"Our Founding Fathers considered the power of the purse the most important responsibility of the legislative branch. If that power is abused, it can have very serious consequences for our nation, not only threatening our prosperity with huge budget deficits but, ultimately, undermining the economic foundations of our safety and national security. And that’s why we must start now.......to reform the budget process."

Redux 05-20-2010 09:51 PM

Ron Paul's view of monetary policy and the role of the Fed is way outside the mainstream and dismissed by most economists as highly likely to lead to another great depression.

The ulra-libertarians who subscribe to the 19th century Austrian School (this is where UG would jump in) love iit but really cant defend it in today's global economy.

Where I do agree with Paul is that there needs to be greater oversight of the Fed (ie a less independent Fed).

The House version of the financial regulatory reform bill passed earlier this year (which includes many of Paul's recommendations) addresses this issue better than the Senate version now being deliberated.

Just one non-economist's opinion.

toranokaze 05-21-2010 11:57 AM

The reliance upon a pure fiat currency is one of the signs of the fall of a nation.

lookout123 05-21-2010 05:35 PM

Quit being such a spoil sport. Fiat currency makes it easier for us to vote ourselves money from the public treasury.

Redux 05-21-2010 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toranokaze (Post 657717)
The reliance upon a pure fiat currency is one of the signs of the fall of a nation.

Back to the gold standard?

Griff 05-22-2010 08:12 AM

More good thinking about our current climate from David Brooks. As long as we punish hard work in this country our culture will continue its decline.

In a few years’ time, Ben is going to be disappointed again. He’s going to find that the outsiders he sent to Washington just screamed at each other at ever higher decibels. He’s going to find that he and voters like him unwittingly created a political culture in which compromise is impermissible, in which institutions are decimated by lone-wolf narcissists who have no interest in or talent for crafting legislation. Nothing will get done.

Spexxvet 05-22-2010 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 657856)
... Nothing will get done. [/i]

That's exactly what some people want..... until they need something to get done.:right:

Redux 05-22-2010 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 657856)
More good thinking about our current climate from David Brooks. As long as we punish hard work in this country our culture will continue its decline.

In a few years’ time, Ben is going to be disappointed again. He’s going to find that the outsiders he sent to Washington just screamed at each other at ever higher decibels. He’s going to find that he and voters like him unwittingly created a political culture in which compromise is impermissible, in which institutions are decimated by lone-wolf narcissists who have no interest in or talent for crafting legislation. Nothing will get done.

I disagree with Brook's basic premise and its not clear at all how the current monetary policy has punished hard work. Ron Paul's "free trade" solution is certainly not the answer and would likely result in even more jobs going overseaS.

A recent study found more entrepreneurs starting new businesses in 2009 than at any other time in the past 14 years....in part, because, even with tight lending, money is cheap right now as a result of the current Fed policy.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/9...ew-businesses-

Add to that the recent (and largest) middle class and small business tax cuts and tax credits.... but these dont come without a cost to the deficit as well.

I do agree with Brooks on one point. Its easy to be on the outside criticizing and waving their signs, like the Tea Party crowd.

Its much harder to offer constructive and realistic solutions.

The US debt has to be addressed, but there are no simple solutions. Certainly not the notion of cutting spending AND cutting taxes, given that the largest and fastest growing component of the debt is entitlement programs (Social Security, Medicare....)

The solution will require compromise and tough decisions including cutting spending AND raising taxes.

added:
I am still perplexed at how silent the Tea Party crowd have been on the need for financial regulatory reform....another indication that they, at least the token leaders (Palin and now Rand Paul and to a lesser extent, Gingrich), are not interested in consensus building as much as they are in imposing their own narrow ideology.

To some degree, IMO, the Cellar is a microcosm of the country. Alot of complaining by those who dont like the current policy direction, but very little in the way of alternative constructive solutions.

Griff 05-22-2010 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redux (Post 657862)
I disagree with Brook's basic premise and its not clear at all how the current monetary policy has punished hard work.

I don't think Brooks would ever endorse a "hard" currency as it can be too inflexible, suppressing economic expansion. That said, as long as our currency is losing value saving is punished. To go along with what you said we will have to raise taxes and cut services to rebuild the integrity of the dollar. We will have to cut more services than Democrats want and raise more taxes than Republicans want. Both parties live in a fantasy world created by ideology, we only have to read Krugman today to witness the self-delusion. I believe it may be possible to ease the pain in an economic contraction through government spending, but you'll never hear the left calling for cuts during an economic boom, much as we never hear Republicans complain about debt created by war-making.

Getting centrists elected is the tough part since they can't speak to blind ideology. They have no core group to hold in place while they reach out to other voters.

Rand Paul is going to get creamed defending BP the way he is. Sometimes corporations really are the bad guys.

Growing small business should be the focus of centrists. Let's not create a regulatory morass that suppresses start-ups, but we damn well better regulate and hold big business accountable for environmental and economic destruction.

spudcon 05-22-2010 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 657865)
we never hear Republicans complain about debt created by war-making.

I think you need to look back at the last century to see who was in charge when all the major deficit making wars were started. It wasn't Republicans. Republicans did get us out of most of them.

Griff 05-22-2010 11:38 AM

True enough, but you are thinking of the old GOP which is quite dead. It is time to open our eyes to what is.

lookout123 05-22-2010 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redux (Post 657862)
A recent study found more entrepreneurs starting new businesses in 2009 than at any other time in the past 14 years....in part, because, even with tight lending, money is cheap right now as a result of the current Fed policy.

I think you'll find new businesses tend to launch more as unemployment climbs.

Redux 05-22-2010 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 657865)
I don't think Brooks would ever endorse a "hard" currency as it can be too inflexible, suppressing economic expansion. That said, as long as our currency is losing value saving is punished. To go along with what you said we will have to raise taxes and cut services to rebuild the integrity of the dollar. We will have to cut more services than Democrats want and raise more taxes than Republicans want. Both parties live in a fantasy world created by ideology, we only have to read Krugman today to witness the self-delusion. I believe it may be possible to ease the pain in an economic contraction through government spending, but you'll never hear the left calling for cuts during an economic boom, much as we never hear Republicans complain about debt created by war-making.

Getting centrists elected is the tough part since they can't speak to blind ideology. They have no core group to hold in place while they reach out to other voters.

Rand Paul is going to get creamed defending BP the way he is. Sometimes corporations really are the bad guys.

Growing small business should be the focus of centrists. Let's not create a regulatory morass that suppresses start-ups, but we damn well better regulate and hold big business accountable for environmental and economic destruction.

I agree with you with the need for, and the difficulty in electing, centrists or those willing to compromise and build consensus.

I still dont see anyway out of the necessity to have spent significantly in the last year to keep the economy from tanking completely. No one wanted the bank bailouts, but many understood the necessity....and no one, but the free traders thought that the economy would recovery on its own w/o some type of stimulus....spending or tax cuts.

When the economy is stabilized and growing again, I am all for responsible cuts in discretionary spending....including defense.

But the biggest bugaboo is Medicare. There is a relatively easy fix for Social Security...raise the base of income subject to the payroll tax and the system is financially sound for another 50 years...through the baby boomers.

The Medicare fix is not so easy, but tax increases will certainly need to be part of the solution.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spudcon (Post 657868)
I think you need to look back at the last century to see who was in charge when all the major deficit making wars were started. It wasn't Republicans. Republicans did get us out of most of them.

I recall Rumsfeld telling Congress that the Iraq war would cost no more than $50 billion and Iraq would pay for its reconstruction with oil revenue.

The cost of the war to-date? About $1 trillion and counting....all of it off-budget and not offset by spending cuts. The long-term costs are likely to exceed $2 trillion.

To depose a tyrant who posed no direct threat to the US and had no relationship with those who attacked us on 9/11.

Redux 05-22-2010 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lookout123 (Post 657893)
I think you'll find new businesses tend to launch more as unemployment climbs.

I agree..but the point is, it can be further stimulated by monetary policy, which has been the focus of the Fed short=term policy.

And fiscal policy as well. I would suggest the small business tax incentives in the stimulus bill helped to some degree and so did the bank bailouts.

Without all of the above, credit certainly would have been much tighter than it is at present.

Griff 05-22-2010 03:54 PM

Are you saying that loose monetary policy, which was a major driver in our near collapse, is going to save us now?

Redux 05-22-2010 04:15 PM

I would disagree with you that the monetary policy of the last decade (or two) was a "major driver" in the near collapse.

I would attribute more to the lack of regulation, specifically, the virtual repeal of Glass-Steagall (and the resulting housing bubble) and to a lesser extent, the grossly over-priced dot.com bubble.

added:
I am not a fan of Milton Friedman, the Hoover/Cato crowd and free market, trickle down economics, but I agree with them on this:
Quote:

We are not arguing that Greenspan's policies were perfect. Nor should anything that follows be construed as a defense of central banking or of the Federal Reserve. Particularly alarming is the way the lender-of-last-resort function has been expanding the moral-hazard safety net and mispricing risk, a trend to which Greenspan no doubt contributed. Our preferred ideal would combine abolition of the Fed and unregulated free banking.
(note: I dont agree with abolishing the Fed and unregulated free banking)

Nonetheless, Alan Greenspan stands out as the most competent--and arguably the only competent--helmsman of United States monetary policy since the creation of the Federal Reserve System. As Milton Friedman observed upon Greenspan's retirement, "For the first 70 years after it opened in 1914, the Fed did far more harm than good, presiding over inflation in two World Wars, converting a moderate recession into the great depression, and then in 1970s, producing the most serious peacetime inflation in our nation's history." By contrast, Greenspan's "performance has indeed been remarkable."
(I dont agree here either..that the Fed policy was largely responsible for the great depression.)

(here is where I agree)
Greenspan not only oversaw relatively low and stable inflation, but also ushered in a striking decline in the volatility of real gross domestic product. Although defenders of macroeconomic intervention often suggest that government policies after World War II dampened business cycles, the truly significant change should be dated at 1987, the year Greenspan assumed office.

http://econlog.econlib.org/archives/...reenspans.html
And, post-Greenspan, I think Bernanke's short-term policy was necessary and correct, given the state of the economy....but should now begin to be tightened as the economy recovers, as he suggested earlier this year.

TheMercenary 05-25-2010 10:13 AM

Quote:

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- On Sept. 15, 2008, America woke up to its worst financial meltdown in generations.

Nearly two years and thousands of pages of legislation later, it is still unclear whether the government has found a way to prevent a similar collapse from happening again.

The Senate passed a financial reform bill Thursday with the aim of stopping future crises before they start. The bill addresses several leading causes: crazy lending practices, risky bets by banks, inflated credit ratings on junky assets and an inability to wind down collapsing financial institutions.

Will it prevent the next crisis? Even proponents of the legislation concede it might not.
http://money.cnn.com/2010/05/24/news...ex.htm?cnn=yes

spudcon 05-26-2010 03:02 PM

Quote:

Will it prevent the next crisis? Even proponents of the legislation concede it WILL not.

Fixed it for ya.

TheMercenary 05-26-2010 08:19 PM

I agree, it will not. More smoke and mirrors by the Demoncratically controlled Congressional Whores, as it was with the Healthcare Reform and Stimulus Millions of Shovel Ready Jobs Package. A big fat FAIL as we are still at a near 10% unemployment rate. Elections are just around the corner folks. Vote the scumbags out.