The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A Rural Area with Moderate Politics (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=35220)

sexobon 08-15-2020 04:33 PM

Postmaster General Bezos?

I don't think he'd want to take the pay cut.

Undertoad 08-16-2020 12:47 AM

USPS inspector general blog post in 2016: "Nationally, the number of collection boxes declined by more than 12,000 in the past 5 years."

Undertoad 08-17-2020 07:35 AM

This Medium post explains every angle of the entire USPS kerfluffle

Why this is on Medium, as opposed to in the NY Times or Wash Post?

Because people want to be inflamed, not informed

Clodfobble 08-17-2020 09:17 AM

This was good and I liked it.

Diaphone Jim 08-17-2020 11:48 AM

As pointed out at the beginning, Congress has the power to legislate about and fund the USPS.
DeJoy may be an honest guy, but Trump is not and we should not trust his motivation in appointing him.
Harper doesn't mention the state of postal services in other countries. I think it is better and one benefit of not spending every last dime on "defense" and not giving the farm to the already over-rich through tax cuts.
Stifling the vote by any means possible has been a conservative goal for decades.

Griff 08-17-2020 03:18 PM

When did The Medium become serious?

xoxoxoBruce 08-18-2020 11:18 PM

2 to 5 days to get first class mail 10 miles? Gimme a fucking break, I can send first class mail to MA, SD, FL, and TX in 2 days.

And Trump has no power over DeJoy? DeJoy who gave millions to the GOP over the last couple years and gave Trump $220,000 this spring, won't do Trump's bidding? Won't slow up the USPS to help his own company? Right, and the Great Pumpkin will bring the mail.:rolleyes:

Moving the mail costs money, more money to places like the islands off Alaska where they have to charter helicopters at least once a week. The most important job of the USPS is to service EVERYBODY no matter where they are. There are a lot of companies who want to take over lucrative routes in the city and leave the hard/expensive work to the USPS. This must not happen.

Flint 08-19-2020 02:33 PM

So the volume of mail has been decreasing over the last decade, and we've already been making adjustments to equipment, etc. for that same time (past five years from 2016, said IG). So what's the big rush to do it now, right now? Right before an election*?

*where, it would be careless NOT to mention, the incumbent candidate has repeatedly voiced his opinion that mail-in ballots will hurt his chances?

Which part of this am I not understanding?

Happy Monkey 08-19-2020 02:39 PM

They've just banned postal workers from witnessing ballots while working.

Article about Alaska in particular, but relevant for any state that requires witnesses.

Flint 08-19-2020 02:49 PM

that's probably unrelated to anything

Urbane Guerrilla 08-20-2020 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 1056578)
Undertrump?
Urbanetoad?

Personally, I intend to handwalk my mailed/absentee ballot to the county center elections office -- next town up -- and avoid the post office and its troubles altogether.

From 4 November, I expect a good deal of comment and scrutiny of the balloting process on the radio talkshows. Should run at least a week or two.

And the word is the expected procedural and standards changes will take place *after* the first week of November.

Undertoad 08-30-2020 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1056541)
The majority of states now have a decreasing infection rate...!

Now only 16 states increasing, fewer day by day. South Dakota is having a bad time, Either Sturgis was a big vector, or it was just the middle North's turn as every region gets its own curve. Still, these numbers are in the hundreds, not thousands.

rt.live

xoxoxoBruce 08-30-2020 11:19 PM

I'd be shocked if Sturgis wasn't a vector, most of those guys/gals think it's all a big hoax perpetrated by Big Pharma, Hospital executives, politicians left or right, etc.

But it is still out there and still deadly for some people.
Apparently some people can get reinfected or get infected by a mutation.
Slowing does not mean stopped so wear a condom mask.

Urbane Guerrilla 08-31-2020 02:40 PM

Condomask. Practice safe social intercourse.

Griff 08-31-2020 05:13 PM

Pete had her third Biden sign stolen last night. Fresh sign in the ground this morning.