The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   TW (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=21604)

Shawnee123 12-29-2009 10:19 AM

Yabbut, dude, how did you get the Led Zeppelin user title?

lumberjim 12-29-2009 10:20 AM

dickin around with the character map....

Shawnee123 12-29-2009 10:21 AM

Cool!

jinx 12-29-2009 10:24 AM

I could kick all their asses. Including Ann.

lumberjim 12-29-2009 10:26 AM

I agree....although, i think Ann might give you the best fight...

oh....and I'd like to watch please.

Shawnee123 12-29-2009 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx (Post 621367)
I could kick all their asses. Including Ann.

I will bet my life savings on that one! Do it soon! :)

Radar 12-29-2009 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 621357)
I'm no longer comfortable with this conversation.

i just wanted to make a point.....not look at trannies.

LOL!! My point is Ann Coulter looks a lot like a tranny.

Also, there is no question that Jinx could kick every one of their asses. She's one tough lady, especially when you consider the workouts she does. She'd probably kick your butt too Jim, and mine.

DanaC 12-29-2009 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar (Post 621319)
You mean other than the way she walks, talks, writes, conducts herself publicly, and her personal mannerisms? Nothing except her physical adam's apple, man hands, and being taller than most women.

What is it about the way she talks, writes, conducts herself publicly and her 'personal mannerisms' that you consider masculine?

I don't like the woman; but as far as I can tell she walks and talks like a woman: just a very strident and forthright one. her personal mannerisms? In what way are they not feminine?

I suspect that were you and I to meet, you would not consider me a 'real woman'. I swear in public. I don't act in a 'ladylike' manner. I suspect that in order to be a 'real woman' by your definition, I would have to be 'ladylike' in how I comport myself. I consider that an extremely narrow definition of a 'real woman'.

xoxoxoBruce 12-29-2009 02:58 PM

I didn't know you were a dyke?

DanaC 12-29-2009 02:59 PM

*grins*

Well, I did take a bus to Hebden the other day...

This sort of thing really gets to me. We have constructed an idea of what a woman or a man is. It is almost entirely culturally defined. The biological imperatives account for so little of it, which is why it has been so subject to change across time and indeed differs greatly from one culture and geographical area to the next. I can totally understand someone not liking Coulter. I even get that from certain angles she looks a little masculine. But from other angles, she just looks statuesque.

Part of this is a defence of a woman's right to define her own femininity; and part of it comes from my suspicion that Radar has a very traditional (and therefore rather paternalistic) view of what femininity is.

xoxoxoBruce 12-29-2009 03:11 PM

I suspect you're right about Radar's views, but he can speak for himself.

Sure it's culturally defined. "Ladylike", or more precisely what's considered "ladylike", is a whole lot different, at different spots on the globe.

lumberjim 12-29-2009 03:16 PM

maybe there's some Dagney Taggart hang up? She was described the way Coulter looks.

Radar 12-29-2009 03:20 PM

I've known a lot of women who use profanity. I don't consider this to be a lack of femininity. How about this...any woman who thinks she's tough enough to hit a man, is tough enough to be hit by a man. I'd never hit a lady, but I'll beat the shit out of any man or woman who hits me first. And I'm not talking about a slap on the ass or something playful. I'm talking about a punch in the face.

I don't really know what to say if you can't see the masculinity in her mannerisms, speech, or even her physical characteristics. I, and many others do. This is why she is often referred to as "Man Coulter"

Radar 12-29-2009 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 621526)
maybe there's some Dagney Taggart hang up? She was described the way Coulter looks.

Not really. I was attracted by the description of Dagney Taggart and found it nothing remotely like what Ann Coulter looks like. She had short hair, but was very feminine. She was sexually promiscuous, and a slightly pushy, but no less feminine. I don't feel that subordination or submissiveness toward a man does anything to either reduce or increase feminism so the fact that she wasn't submissive does nothing to make her less feminine in my book.

DanaC 12-29-2009 03:26 PM

Maybe I've misunderstood you then Radar. In which case, my apologies.

But there is (and always has been) a tendency for forthright women in the public eye to be accused of and denigrated for 'masculinity'. It happens with Coulter, it happens with Hilary Clinton, it happened with Maggie Thatcher. It has been thus for as long as there has been a 'public' sphere.

Perhaps in this case, I am mistaken and this is not what is at play here. But this is usually the thing that is thrown at women in politics in particular, by those who disagree with them politically.