The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Books you're currently reading??? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=4348)

Urbane Guerrilla 03-27-2007 02:49 AM

I just finished John McPhee's latest: Uncommon Carriers. It's a McPhee go-there-and-explore look at the business of commercial transportation, and a slice of the lives of the people who make their livings at it: owner-operators of eighteen-wheelers, river towboats (which actually are push boats) -- you know, navigation gets interesting when the river is narrower than your barge string is long -- a digression into a canoe trip replicating more or less the trip Thoreau and his older brother (who died young of septicemia) took; a coal train out of Wyoming taking low-sulfur coal to Georgia. As is usual with McPhee when he writes about this kind of thing, you get a lot of I-never-knew-that tidbits.

This may not be the titanic work Annals of the Former World was -- anyone who enjoys geology should read that -- but it upholds McPhee's reputation.

Trilby 03-27-2007 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf (Post 324575)
The Carl Hiassen book you (everyone) need(s) to read is "Skin Tight".

It's the best of all of them.

I thought we'd agreed that Hiassen is insane.

A Bried History of Nearly Everything

Lucy Gault - Wm. Trevor

Evolution vs. Creationism - Eugenie Scott

monster 03-27-2007 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluecuracao (Post 324510)
But I never did read the one Hiaasen book I picked up (I don't remember the name...it had a dog head on the cover). .

Sick puppy.

---

xob -you're right about the doorknobs. Goldfinger has the most excruciating game of golf. I'm at the skimming point now, this may well be my last Bond. (Who am I kidding, I'm seriously short of alternatives in the mindless fiction category..... :rolleyes: )

Bullitt 03-27-2007 08:54 PM

Anyone read "Next" by Michael Crichton?
I'm just starting and it's.. interesting.

Clodfobble 03-27-2007 09:44 PM

I got it for my birthday back in November. It's next in line in the to-read pile, which means I might get started on it, oh, by July if I'm lucky. I miss having time to read.

Shawnee123 03-28-2007 09:23 AM

"Smashed: Story of a Drunken Girlhood" by Koren Zailckas.

This relatively young woman writes her memoir about her relationship with alchohol, starting with her first drink in high school and culminating in her alcohol-ridden college experience. She uses facts about women and drinking and her own experiences. She writes in a wonderfully honest voice. I think young women should read this book.

TheMercenary 03-28-2007 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guyute (Post 322606)
Ghost wars : the secret history of the CIA, Afghanistan, and bin Laden, from the Soviet invasion to September 10, 2001

A very good book about a very good group of dedicated individuals.

bluecuracao 03-29-2007 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 327127)
Sick puppy.

Ah--thanks.

Just finished The Bad Behavior of Belle Cantrell, by Loraine Despres. A "Southern romance novel," I figured it would be sappy fluff, so I put off reading it until I needed help falling asleep one night. But it turned out to be really interesting. The story's set in 1920, so the author took advantage of the time period, and wove a few well-researched issues of the day into the plot--women's suffrage, eugenics, spread of the Klan and the automobile, etc.

Sundae 03-29-2007 02:08 PM

I'm reading Lord Foul's Bane. Finally.
I've seen it around for years but until reading about it here I wasn't fussed about reading it.

I have to admit I'm mildly disappointed so far.
It just doesn't have a lot of substance to it.
I should have read it years ago.

glatt 03-29-2007 02:10 PM

That's a sequel right? Did you read the one(s) leading up to it? Thomas Covenant, right?

I'm just starting Bel Canto.

Sundae 03-29-2007 02:15 PM

I'm pretty sure I'm reading the first one
The character is introduced before he travels to the other world - it starts with him going to pay a telephone bill...

glatt 03-29-2007 02:35 PM

My bad. It's been 20 years or so since I read it.

Sundae 03-29-2007 02:38 PM

Don't worry - I know what that's like
I actually bought a book from the charity shop the other day and got 3/4 of the way through before I realised I'd read it. In my defense it was really generic chick-lit though.

Guyute 03-29-2007 09:14 PM

Andy McNab: Recoil

TheMercenary- yeah, it's sad to see the sticks thrown in the wheels of guys actually trying to make a difference...Wonder where the world would be now if they had been able to operate like it was 1975.

wolf 03-30-2007 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna (Post 326843)
I thought we'd agreed that Hiassen is insane.

Completely nuts, which is why you should read Skin Tight.