The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Weird News (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=16997)

Sundae 11-21-2008 02:23 PM

Eurgh. The very fact it's in The Soaraway Sun makes me disbelieve the whole phenomenon! Also they said that one swing moved while the other two stayed still - completely disproved by other video evidence. Lazy, lazy journalists.

I like this:
Quote:

Teacher Maria de Silva Agustina said yesterday: “One child called it the Blair Witch Playground. We believe it is haunted.”
Well if you let children watch films rated 18 (R to you) of course they are going to come up with ridiculous suggestions. As a responsible adult you should be discouraging this.

Idiots.

Cicero 11-21-2008 07:25 PM

Well, why do they swing? Who has the answer for 50 American Dollars?

ZenGum 11-21-2008 09:46 PM

Why don't they ride the swings, and get a free push?

Better yet, can't they generate electricity from it?

Nirvana 11-21-2008 10:16 PM

"But so far the boffins have failed to find a logical explanation."

What is a boffin?

ZenGum 11-22-2008 04:10 AM

Technical/scientist type. Like Q in James Bond.

TheMercenary 11-22-2008 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cicero (Post 506733)
Well, why do they swing? Who has the answer for 50 American Dollars?

Wind.

Crimson Ghost 11-22-2008 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirvana (Post 506766)
"But so far the boffins have failed to find a logical explanation."

What is a boffin?

A small, flightless aquatic bird, smaller than a penguin, but larger than a puffin.

xoxoxoBruce 11-22-2008 11:20 PM

Boffin - Colloquial term for sexual intercourse.
Yeah, I was boffin her, when her old man pulled in the driveway. ;)

Elspode 11-22-2008 11:49 PM

A boffin is a big box to put cead people in.

ZenGum 11-23-2008 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 507023)
Boffin - Colloquial term for sexual intercourse.
Yeah, I was boffin her, when her old man pulled in the driveway. ;)

What, was he watching?

I'm putting this in weird news, but it could also go as a WTF?

Jail terms for Israeli neo-Nazis

If you don't like Jewish people, why the hell did you move to Israel???

classicman 11-23-2008 09:30 PM

I'm not sure yet Zen, but someone, some how will make this Bush's fault too.

ZenGum 11-23-2008 10:29 PM

Yeah, link it to Russia and oil prices. Done.

ZenGum 11-23-2008 10:30 PM

Meanwhile, this Japanese freak has decided to spend his entire Mexican vacation in the airport, for no apparent reason.

TheMercenary 11-24-2008 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 507387)
Meanwhile, this Japanese freak has decided to spend his entire Mexican vacation in the airport, for no apparent reason.

Totally bizzare.

morethanpretty 11-24-2008 11:37 PM

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/992343.html

Quote:

NEW YORK - An entrepreneur has decided to have fun with the U.S. presidential campaign by marketing condoms featuring images of the candidates, Democrat Barack Obama and Republican John McCain.

Benjamin Sherman, who created the company Practice Safe Policy, says the Obama condom carries the slogan "Use With Good Judgment."

The McCain version says "Old But Not Expired" - a reference to the candidate's relatively old age of 71.
Advertisement
According to the Web site, McCain condoms are battle-tested, strong and durable, for those occasions when "you just need to switch your position"!

While the company can't guarantee the condoms are 100 percent effective, it says it's certain that without wearing one, there's likely to be an Obama-Mama in your future.

ZenGum 11-25-2008 12:55 AM

What, hasn't everyone always wanted to do this?

Quote:

OSAKA, Nov. 24 (AP) - (Kyodo)—A man was arrested Monday in the act of spreading hundreds of worms inside a train running across Osaka Prefecture, local police said.

Manabu Mizuta, a 35-year-old company employee who is suspected of deliberately obstructing railway operations by his act, was quoted as saying, "It was fun to watch other passengers freak out when they looked at the creepy worms wiggling their way (inside the train)."

At the time of his arrest, Mizuta had about 3,600 worms contained in small, photographic film cases in his bag, the police said.

The incident took place as the train was traveling on the Keihan line through the city of Neyagawa around 10:05 a.m.

The suspect, a resident of Hyogo Prefecture, is believed to have scattered about 200 mealworms, the larva of the darkling beetle, a feeder insect for birds. The railway car was cleaned immediately but the train was delayed by about three minutes, according to the police.

Since earlier this month larvae have frequently been found inside Keihan trains, so railroad police officers have been put on alert.
And as for "cleaned in three minutes", I believe that. I have seen the "vomit squad" do a subway car - four men to wipe excess vomit off the seat, mop the floor, remove the seat cushions and install new ones, and spray air freshener ... in less than 60 seconds (I'd say closer to 30). In Japan, the trains run on time.

ZenGum 11-29-2008 05:01 PM

Not really weird but very very dumb.

Quote:

AN Adelaide driver faces police charges after a video of him doing a burnout in a company ute was posted on the YouTube website.
After receiving a tip-off, police tracked down the motorist because the name and phone number of an auto parts company was emblazoned on the driver's door and clearly shown in the clip.

Traffic Enforcement Section officers visited the business on Friday, and after interviewing a middle-aged man, charged him with "misuse of a motor vehicle due to a sustained tail spin".

The utility was also immediately seized and impounded under the State Government's tough hoon driver laws.

classicman 12-04-2008 12:58 PM

Man Says Wife Was Accidentally Shot During Sex

Quote:

A Tri-State woman is in critical condition Wednesday after police say her husband shot her while they were having sex.

Timothy Havens, 38, told Springfield police he was reaching for something on the nightstand when the pistol went off, hitting his estranged wife Carolyn in the upper chest. (Hear part of the 911 call)

Carolyn Havens, 42, is being treated at Miami Valley Hospital in Dayton.

This is isn't the first time there's been trouble for the Havens. Court documents showed Timothy served 60 days in jail for assaulting his wife and was ordered to go to anger management classes.

His arrest Tuesday for the weekend shooting was for violating a civil protection order that Carolyn had taken out against him earlier this year.

Bond was set at $75,000 after prosecutors asked for a high bond, "due to alleged prohibited contact between the parties (and) the suspicious nature of the circumstances surrounding (her injury)."

Shawnee123 12-04-2008 02:34 PM

Heh, saw that on the local news.

Why, it's not fishy at all! :)

Trilby 12-04-2008 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 510664)
Heh, saw that on the local news.

Why, it's not fishy at all! :)

I saw that on the news, too. Yep. We're a wild bunch.

Aliantha 12-04-2008 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 509274)
Not really weird but very very dumb.

Do you reckon that bloke still has a job? lol

Shawnee123 12-05-2008 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna (Post 510746)
I saw that on the news, too. Yep. We're a wild bunch.

Didja see wifey on the news last night? It was totally an accident, and she wants him home. He was only reaching to the nightstand. Or they were having sex and it went off. Or he threw it and it went off. Who knows? :blush:

Trilby 12-05-2008 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 510927)
Didja see wifey on the news last night? It was totally an accident, and she wants him home. He was only reaching to the nightstand. Or they were having sex and it went off. Or he threw it and it went off. Who knows? :blush:

I've watched enough CourtTV to know that in a year or so it'll happen again.

dar512 12-18-2008 08:48 AM

Those crazy scots

They're testing the effects of Christmas music on sharks.

All I can say is they're lucky those sharks don't have fricken lasers.

Pie 12-18-2008 11:19 AM

Aha, but I do! :rubs hands gleefully:
The guy down the hall in the high-power laser lab will be happy to lend me one...

(We need a mad-scientist smilie.)

binky 12-18-2008 11:30 AM

I remember years ago, in my mid-twenties heavy metal phase, I worked in a fruit packing house next to 3 old ladies who played the same country christmas tape at least 3 times a day. I was ready to go postal on them :evil3:

footfootfoot 12-24-2008 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 505755)
I'm still trying to figure out what the weirdest part of this is.

[quote]...(all that crazy shit)...
Weatherley pleaded guilty to offensive behaviour, resisting police and disobeying a police direction.

He was convicted and fined $600. /quote]
Thank god he wasn't given community service.

morethanpretty 01-09-2009 10:25 AM

Brits like squirells! As in eating them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/07/di...uirrel.html?em

Quote:

These days, however, in farmers’ markets, butcher shops, village pubs and elegant restaurants, squirrel is selling as fast as gamekeepers and hunters can bring it in.

“Part of the interest is curiosity and novelty,” said Barry Shaw of Shaw Meats, who sells squirrel meat at the Wirral Farmers Market near Liverpool. “It’s a great conversation starter for dinner parties.”

Hey, I ain't judgin, vittles is vittles.

Pie 01-09-2009 10:31 AM

SQUIRREL FRICASSEE

4 servings.

2 dressed young squirrels (2 lbs.)
1 1/2 tsp. salt
Pepper
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 - 3/4 cup water
1 1/2 cups milk
1 tsp. grated onion (optional)

Wipe squirrel thoroughly with a damp cloth. Remove any hair and scent glands. Examine carefully to locate imbedded shot and remove with a sharp pointed knife.

Wash thoroughly inside and out in warm water.

Drain well and cut into serving pieces. (Never wash after cutting up.)

Combine salt, pepper, and flour.

Dredge meat and coat well.

Heat shortening in a heavy skillet; brown meat slowly on all sides to a rich brown (about 15 minutes).

Add 1/4 cup of water; cover tightly; reduce heat and simmer gently until tender (about 30 minutes).

Add remaining water as needed.

Squirrel should be very tender when done.

Remove squirrel to a hot platter; cover and keep hot.

Blend any leftover seasoned flour into the fat remaining in skillet.

Add milk gradually and cook until gravy boils and thickens, stirring constantly. Serve at once with squirrel. Add the grated onion for additional flavor, if desired.

classicman 01-09-2009 03:55 PM

Texas death row inmate pulls out eye, eats it
Quote:

HOUSTON – A Texas death row inmate with a history of mental problems pulled out his only good eye and told authorities he ate it.

Andre Thomas, 25, was arrested for the fatal stabbings of his estranged wife, their young son and her 13-month-old daughter in March 2004. Their hearts also had been ripped out. He was convicted and condemned for the infant's death.
Can the food really be that bad? Recipe anyone? Ewwwwwwwww

wolf 01-09-2009 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 520659)

*shrugs*

Must have offended him.

Don't remember anything specified about the appropriate method of disposal, however. It's not yet Lent, so even if the Vitreous Humor is classed as a meat that's not a problem ...

TheMercenary 01-10-2009 04:44 AM

:lol2: that is funny as hell.

TheMercenary 01-10-2009 06:19 AM

Don't use Mary Kay products, they stink.

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2009/jan/...-womans-porch/

TheMercenary 01-11-2009 06:39 PM

I want my kidney back!

http://www.myfoxny.com/myfox/pages/N...Y&pageId=3.2.1

Cicero 01-11-2009 07:11 PM

Damn it! lol

That is so terrible.

I am shaking my head. At all of it.

TheMercenary 01-11-2009 07:14 PM

I can't believe some people. Give me my kidney or pay up. WTF?

xoxoxoBruce 01-11-2009 07:20 PM

Maybe it's more like, give me my kidney or forget about taking me to the cleaners, beyotch. It's a bargaining chip.

TheMercenary 01-12-2009 06:32 AM

Stupid Criminal News

Text messages nab carjacking suspects (CNET

- If texting is dangerous while driving a car, it's downright idiotic while stealing one.

An Ohio man used a friend's cell phone to get back his car, cell phone, and cash, all of which were stolen in a car jacking, according to a local TV report. Alan Heuss was sitting in his running BMW in Columbus on Wednesday when an armed man opened a passenger door, stuck a gun in his face, and made off with his stuff.

After filing a police report, Heuss was meeting with some friends to drown his sorrows when one suggested that they try to contact the thieves by texting Heuss' stolen cell phone.

"He said, 'I'm going to text these guys, I'm going to blow some smoke their way,'" Heuss told the station. "He said, 'I'm going to tell them I've got a bunch of hot chicks, as if I'm texting you, and that we've got some drugs, too.'"

The carjacking suspects fell for the ruse and went to an address sent to them by Heuss' friend just seven hours after the carjacking. But instead of the "hot chick with drugs" they were expecting, they were met with by cops with cuffs.

And to make things easier for the officers, the suspects showed up in the stolen car.

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/cnet/2009...03531013969394

classicman 01-12-2009 07:55 AM

lol - thats great.

TheMercenary 01-12-2009 05:27 PM

Boss jailed after stabbing employee in bottom with pitchfork
A company managing director has been jailed for a series of violent attacks on an employee, including stabbing him in the bottom with a pitchfork.

By Murray Wardrop
Last Updated: 8:07AM GMT 23 Dec 2008

Michael Parker lost his temper with Mark Reene and committed five separate assaults, on one occasion attacking him with a chainsaw.

In another incident, the 51-year-old gouged at Mr Reene's eyes and punched him in the face while calling him "thick" and threatening to kill him.

The court heard that the 44-year-old put up with the abuse for six months because Parker threatened to hurt Mr Reene's family if he told anyone about the attacks.

But the final straw came when Parker punched out two of Mr Reene's front teeth and skewered his left buttock with a pitchfork.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...pitchfork.html

TheMercenary 01-12-2009 05:35 PM

Man Punched Dophin!

A snorkeller in Australia has survived a shark attack by punching the predator, forcing it to let go of his leg so he could swim to safety.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ve-attack.html

Aliantha 01-12-2009 05:42 PM

We had three shark bites in two days last week. You should see the papers over here. The media is rabid. All sorts of claims such as sharks hunting people, shark plagues and too many more to count.

Shark numbers have increased due to tighter laws surrounding their capture and also some species being declared protected.

Some of these claims by the media and other 'noted authorities' on the subject seem just a bit melodramatic to me.

If these sharks were 'hunting' people, why didn't they kill them? About punching the shark; that's how a lot of people have survived shark attacks. Apparently sharks are just big pussies (or sea kittens as PETA would like us to think) ;)

TheMercenary 01-12-2009 05:47 PM

Yea, the press loves news when Jaws attack. Makes for great reads and sells papers. Did you see the pic of the guys board? That beast was hungry. That board would hang on my wall forever.

TheMercenary 01-12-2009 05:52 PM

They are out there, believe. :) :alien2:

UFO Crash site sealed off.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...ealed-off.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...destroyed.html

Aliantha 01-12-2009 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 521642)
Yea, the press loves news when Jaws attack. Makes for great reads and sells papers. Did you see the pic of the guys board? That beast was hungry. That board would hang on my wall forever.

Yeah, I saw the pic. Pretty impressive. He's got a good story to tell when he's old...or drunk. lol

glatt 01-14-2009 07:45 AM

This could be a movie. Reminds me of Fargo.

Quote:

QUINCY, Fla., Jan. 13 -- Authorities in northern Florida arrested an Indiana businessman on Tuesday night who is suspected of having tried to fake his own death in a plane crash.

Marcus Schrenker, 38, was taken into custody at a campground in Chattahoochee, Fla., according to Lt. Jim Corder of the Gadsden County Sheriff's Office.

Police found Schrenker after he allegedly e-mailed a family member from the campground office.

Broadcast reports said Schrenker was being treated at a local hospital for slices to his wrist, none of which were considered life threatening.

Schrenker had been missing since Sunday, when he flew from Anderson, Ind., bound for Destin, Fla. Southwest of Birmingham, Ala., he radioed that his plane's windshield had imploded and that his face was covered with blood.

Authorities said they think Schrenker then bailed out of the Piper Turboprop, parachuting to the ground and speeding away on a motorcycle he had stashed away in the pine barrens of central Alabama. Military jets tried to intercept the plane and found the door open, the cockpit dark. The plane crashed in the Florida Panhandle after traveling more than 200 miles on autopilot.

Authorities suspect Schrenker, president of a wealth management company, was trying to escape legal and financial troubles, including allegations of fraud. Schrenker's wife also had filed for divorce, alleging that he was having an affair.
The cops had found him earlier, but he escaped.
Quote:

Authorities examined the crash site and presumed Schrenker was dead.

But on Monday, a visibly wet Shrenker, wearing goggles made for "flying," was spotted by a police officer in Childersburg, Ala. He allegedly told the officer that he had been in a canoeing accident with some friends and handed the officer his driver's license before being taken to a nearby hotel.

After discovering who he was, police went back to the hotel to find Schrenker missing. He had checked in under a fake name, paid in cash and fled into the nearby woods wearing a black toboggan cap.
cites: 1, 2

Shawnee123 01-14-2009 08:12 AM

Heh...Fargo indeed.

I guess those kinds of things are what very wealthy people do in lieu of actually committing suicide.

classicman 01-14-2009 09:50 AM

275-Pound Woman Says Hospital Told Her to Use Zoo MRI

Quote:

When a 5-foot, 275-pound woman found out she had a tumor on her spine, she was told by her local hospital to go the zoo to have a MRI because a regular MRI machine could not hold her weight, MyFOXKC.com reported.

Carolyn Ragan told the television station she discovered the tumor two years ago and, after the hospital told her she could not use their MRI machine, a medical assistant said he would help her find a solution.

“So he suggested the Kansas City Zoo,” Ragan said. “I thought, I know I’m big, but I’m not as big as an elephant. And my husband got mad.”

The University of Kansas Hospital would not comment on Ragan’s claim, but said its MRI department does not know of any animal MRI in the Kansas City area that would scan a human.

Ragan’s problem was two-fold: She was too heavy for the table and too wide to slide through the opening.

Medical Imaging in Kansas City North, which has both closed and open MRI machines can typically hold up to 440 pounds, but sometimes a person who weighs less can still be out of luck, according to an MRI technician.

“It depends on how they are built a lot of times and what part of their body we’re scanning,” said technician Sarah Abbott of Medical Imaging. “(The machine) can only be so open before the magnetic field dissipates into the room.”

Ragan, who ended up having two surgeries and some paralysis, said she finally found an open MRI machine that held her weight, but it was embarrassing and frustrating.

“They should have machines that fit most everybody,” she said.
Uh, at 5 foot tall - I think I would describe her as more than "big".

And the last line - “They should have machines that fit most everybody,” I think they already do. Her height/weight is way outta the "most everybody" category.

Flint 01-14-2009 01:12 PM

This is a non-story. Millions of people, every day, can't have a radiological etc. study for various reasons (contrast allergy, for example). This is a boring fact of life, and not noteworthy in any way whatsoever. Yet I've read about this on two websites today. Why?

glatt 01-14-2009 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 522236)
Millions of people, every day, can't have a radiological etc. study for various reasons

I know you are in the field, and know more about this than I do, but that number is obviously pure horseshit. You made it up, and it is orders of magnitude off the correct number. I might believe that 1000 people a day can't get this done. But "millions" is untrue.

Flint 01-14-2009 01:27 PM

I believe that "1000 people a day" are subject to some factor which contraindicates a diagnostic imaging study they would otherwise have, in every moderately-populated metropolitan area. This is not rare or uncommon in any way, and there are a lot of people in the world.

The number I stated was an extrapolated speculation which may be slightly hyperbolic

HungLikeJesus 01-14-2009 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 522236)
This is a non-story. (Thousands) of people, every day, XXX. This is a boring fact of life, and not noteworthy in any way whatsoever. ...

Yes, but this could be said about almost everything printed as "news." (Replace XXX with robberies, rapes, murders, car accidents, starving dogs, lost, missing, football games won and lost, explosion, fire, rain, cold, ...)

Flint 01-14-2009 02:13 PM

This paper reports, according to MEPS, 644 imaging studies "per 1000 persons (all ages) in the U.S. population" in the year 1999. Today, there are 305,614,860 people in the US; at 1999 rates that's 196,815,970 imaging studies performed. If only one half of one percent of that many people needed a study but couldn't have it (for a variety of very common reasons) that would be almost one million (984,080) people in the US alone.

Happy Monkey 01-14-2009 02:15 PM

Heh, if millions of people every day couldn't fit into MRIs, they probably would have zoo-sized MRI machines in hospitals.

glatt 01-14-2009 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 522262)
644 imaging studies "per 1000 persons (all ages) in the U.S. population" in the year 1999.

That figure is astounding to me. It's much higher than I figured. I bow down to your superior knowledge in this area.

I'm guessing it includes x-rays at the dentist, which are routine every 2-3 years. Still, it's much higher than I thought.

I take back my "horseshit" comment and embrace your "slightly hyperbolic" characterization. Dammit.

Pie 01-14-2009 02:57 PM

In the weeks before he died, it seemed like my father was getting 1-2 'imaging studies' done per day. I bet there is a subset of patients that skew the statistics mightily.
For which the rest of us (mostly healthy) people should be glad.

Shawnee123 01-14-2009 02:59 PM

Oooh, I want in on Fun Math:

1 million people x 365 days a year = 365 million people. The study is for a year's worth of fail. He said a million people a day, originally. Well, actually, he said "millions of people a day."

slightly hyperbolic

just sayin'

:blush:

Trilby 01-14-2009 03:12 PM

people can't have rad. procedures coz they're too big, pregnant, allergic, not followed the "cleansing" routine (ie. too full of poop to see), can't hold an enema, freak at getting their boob squished, loads, loads of reasons. Even some US can't be done if someone is too fat or too gassy or can't hold the twenty gallons of water needed to do a uterine/pelvic US. so many appointments get cancelled. It's great! :)

Trilby 01-14-2009 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pie (Post 522281)
In the weeks before he died, it seemed like my father was getting 1-2 'imaging studies' done per day. I bet there is a subset of patients that skew the statistics mightily.
For which the rest of us (mostly healthy) people should be glad.

Did he die at the hospital or at home?

I used to do daily portable chest Xrays on tons of patients who were clearly only days away from passing.

Pie 01-14-2009 03:24 PM

Hospital. After a bmt.