The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Okay, this is the most recent Recipe Thread (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9265)

jinx 11-26-2008 07:46 PM

This site is just awesome... the information... the recipes...

Food Timeline

Pie 11-26-2008 10:25 PM

Cool! Great find, jinx.

busterb 11-26-2008 10:39 PM

Jinx, just damn you! Do you have any idea what time it is? Tnxs. Have a big bird day.

Urbane Guerrilla 01-15-2009 09:14 PM

A Winner! Comfort food from a Simi Valley cop

He won a contest with this one, and a prize of twenty five thousand bucks too.

Cheese Lovers' Five Cheese Mac & Cheese

From Foodnetwork.com

And for anybody not wanting to use the link:

Quote:

Ingredients

* Kosher salt
* 1 (16-ounce) package macaroni (cellentani or other curly noodle)
* 1/4 pound bacon, diced
* 1 medium onion, diced
* 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more to butter baking dish
* 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
* 2 1/2 cups whole milk
* 2 cups heavy cream
* 1 sprig fresh thyme
* 1 bay leaf
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 1/2 cups grated fontina
* 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
* 3/4 cup grated Gruyere
* 3/4 cup grated white Cheddar (Australian)
* 3/4 cup grated Parmesan
* 3 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
* 1/4 cup bread crumbs

Directions

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F and butter a 9 by 13-inch glass baking dish.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add salt. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain.

In a large Dutch oven or other heavy pot, saute the bacon until crisp. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and reserve. Saute the onion in the bacon drippings until soft. Add the 5 tablespoons butter to the onion mixture and melt the butter stirring with a wooden spoon.

Using a whisk, add the flour, and stir constantly until well mixed with the fat making a roux. Whisk in the mustard. Gradually add the milk and cream whisking constantly.

Add the thyme, bay leaf, and salt. Let come to a simmer and stir frequently for 15 minutes.

Strain the hot milk mixture into a metal bowl and discard the solids. Working quickly, mix in 1 cup fontina, blue cheese, 1/2 cup Gruyere, 1/2 cup white Cheddar, 1/2 cup Parmesan, the reserved bacon, and parsley. Continue to stir until all cheese is melted.

Add the cooked noodles to the cheese mixture to coat. Add the noodle mixture to the prepared baking dish. Mix the remaining cheese and bread crumbs together and sprinkle on top of the noodles. Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes or until bubbling and golden brown. Remove from oven when done and rest for 5 minutes.

Undertoad 01-15-2009 09:16 PM

I have some ground beef+pork+lamb here and will be needing your meatloaf recipes for tomorrow night.

Urbane Guerrilla 01-15-2009 09:20 PM

Nothin' good looking on the 'Net, or will that be the backup plan?

I like a meatloaf and haven't made any in simply decades.

I went looking for Heloise's Meatloaf. So far I've found this:

Quote:

Dear Heloise: I have one more add-in for meatloaf. It's sugar-coated flakes of breakfast cereal. It might sound strange, but the sugar takes the edge off the ketchup that I also use. Family and friends request my meatloaf all the time. Try it — it's fabulous. This was my mom's secret ingredient. — Kathy P. Keyes, Hot Springs, Va.

Sounds interesting. I've heard of just flaked corn cereal as an ingredient, but not the one with the sugar. Here's another meatloaf hint, from Carol Haufler of San Antonio. She says: "My aunt had a cafe during the Second World War, when meat was rationed. She stretched the ground meat for hamburgers or meatloaf by adding white cornmeal. I add yellow cornmeal to my meatloaf today." — Heloise
And this:

Quote:

Meatloaf

January 12, 2009 by angie Schilling
Filed under Healthy Recipes

I have to be in the mood to make meatloaf, but when I am in the mood it turns out fabulous. Here is a great recipe that I use and it turns out great all the time.
Take one pound of lean ground beef and mix it with one egg, two squirts of ketschup, and about 1/2 cup bread crumbs. Mix it well and season with salt and pepper. Add as many onions as you please, then press into a greased glass loaf pan.
Combine 3/4 cup ketschup with two tablespoons of brown sugar. Spread this on top of the meatloaf and then bake for one hour at 375 degrees. Let it rest for 5 minutes before cutting it.
I find this meatloaf is wonderful served with mashed potatoes and homemade rolls. It really hits the spot after having a long day at work and your whole family will enjoy it.
And I guess it will take fairly serious Googling to find the Heloise meatloaf actually on the 'net, instead of some incidentals gleaned from Heloise columns.

Beestie 01-16-2009 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla (Post 522851)
Cheese Lovers' Five Cheese Mac & Cheese

The only problem with making that dish is that once my kids get a taste of it I will never get away with making mac and cheese from a box ever again.

I have learned to not make fancy stuff unless there is no analogous plain jane version to compare it to thus saving me from ridicule and scorn when subsequently preparing said vanilla version.

Urbane Guerrilla 01-29-2009 06:52 PM

Teach them how, and tell 'em if they want it, they cook it, and no kvetching. One or more of those kids is likely to turn into a good cook once they get good with Five Cheese Mac & Cheese. And why should this not work more than once? But don't spring it as a surprise: tell them ahead of time that this is what you're going to be doing with the grand recipes that kick the plain-jane ones around like a football.

But this optimistic campaign plan might best be implemented a few years down the line -- keep it on file for Great Feasts, Meals Of Occasion, and other capital-letter festivities.

Urbane Guerrilla 03-09-2009 08:15 PM

Re: Five Cheese Mac & Cheese

Had it at TGIFriday's last week -- the winning recipes in the contest were added to the Friday's menu. It is very rich and fairly oily. Decidedly a restaurantish kind of recipe. A small portion will do all but the hungriest.

DanaC 03-09-2009 09:06 PM

Define 'small'

jinx 03-09-2009 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla (Post 543398)
Re: Five Cheese Mac & Cheese

Had it at TGIFriday's last week -- the winning recipes in the contest were added to the Friday's menu. It is very rich and fairly oily. Decidedly a restaurantish kind of recipe. A small portion will do all but the hungriest.

The contest being the Food Network Challenge or something like that? Was bleu one of the cheeses?

Sundae 03-10-2009 02:08 PM

I can't think of five cheeses I want want to waste in Mac n Cheese!
I'd rather have them with crusty bread.

Oh wait, yes I can think of cheese I'm happy to waste, but it's all the bland grim stuff which is barely worth the name anyway - and won't really get any better when served on my least favourite pasta anyway.

wolf 03-11-2009 09:27 PM

Once each quarter, I go to a meeting that features a pot luck.

Most of the time I'm in too much of a hurry to actually make something. This month I planned ahead and had everything on hand to make some Thai Peanut Noodles.

I decided what I wanted to make and then went hunting for a recipe.

It was awesome. Everybody at the meeting said so, and I have a lengthy list of people who asked for the recipe.

For convenience, I served it cold, but it's awesome when it's hot.

Also, you can throw whatever else you want into it to make it more of a meal ... stir fry veggies for sure, and perhaps chicken or tofu.

SPICY THAI PEANUT NOODLE RECIPE

Ingredients:
  • 6 Tbsp of Crunchy Peanut Butter (Note: I used Jif)
  • 4 Tbsp of Water
  • 3 Tbsp of Vegetable Oil
  • 3 Tbsp of Sesame Oil
  • 3 Tbsp of Rice Vinegar
  • 3 Tbsp of Soy Sauce
  • 4 Tbsp of Honey
  • 1 Tbsp of Sugar (optional)
  • 1 ˝ Tbsp of Minced Ginger Root (Note: I cheated. I used 1 tsp of Powdered Ginger)
  • 1 ˝ Tbsp of Minced Garlic Cloves (Note: I cheated here too. I used 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder)
  • 1 Tbsp of Crushed Red Peppers (Note: I used a bit less than one Tablespoon. As noted below, the recipe originally called for 1-1/2 Tablespoon. With the amount of crushed peppers that I used it was pleasantly hot, with even the hot-wimps liking it without too much complaining.)
  • 1 16oz Package of Spaghetti or Linguine

In a large saucepan, bring 8-10 cups of water to a boil and cook the pasta as directed on the box (usually 8-10 minutes).

While the spaghetti is cooking, place another saucepan on low heat and mix together the peanut butter and water. Once the peanut butter warms up it will mix nicely with the water and you should end up with a soupy peanut butter mixture in the saucepan.

One by one, add the vegetable oil, sesame oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce, and honey thoroughly stirring the sauce after each ingredient is added. If the sauce begins to bubble, turn the heat down a little bit. By now you should have a few minutes left before the pasta is done.

Peel the garlic and ginger root and chop them up with a food processor. If you don’t have a food processor, you can finely chop the garlic and ginger with a knife (it is tedious work, but these ingredients are essential). Once the garlic and ginger root are chopped up, stir them into the saucepan along with the optional 1 Tbsp of sugar.

Drain the pasta, and then place it back in the large saucepan until you are done preparing the sauce.

Add the crushed red pepper to the sauce. The original recipe called for 1 ˝ Tbsp but you may find this too spicy. I would start with a little less than 1 Tbsp of crushed red peppers and gradually increase to your taste. Simmer the sauce for two minutes to allow all of the ingredients to blend together. Keep in mind that more “spicy heat” from the crushed red peppers will be released as it simmers in the saucepan. If you feel that the peanut sauce needs a little more “kick” add more crushed red peppers after the initial 2 minute simmer.

Once the delicious peanut sauce has simmered and you have adjusted the “spiciness” to your taste, simply mix the sauce in with the cooked pasta and serve!

LabRat 03-13-2009 12:43 PM

Maidrites/Manwiches

2T +/- minced garlic
1/2 c. +/- onion (fresh is best, but flakes can be used if you cook them with the meat when it browns)
1 lb hamburger (or whatever meat or meat substitute you want)
1 can Campbells chicken gumbo soup
Heinz ketchup
French's yellow mustard
Seasonings of choice. I like Trader Joes 21 seasoning salute or Garlic Garlic and garlic or onion salt.
medium salsa/picante sauce (wtf is the difference, anyway??)

In large skillet brown hamburger. Pour cooked meat into spaghetti strainer sitting in 2 plastic shopping bags in garbage can*.

Use the residual fat in the pan to saute the onions and garlic while the hamburger is draining. When the onions are soft, add the hamburger back to the pan, then add the can of gumbo soup. Stir well.

From this point on, I don't really measure anything, I go by taste. :blush: My best guesstimates are:

Add ~1/4 c. yellow mustard, ~3/4 c. ketchup. (the last time i made this though, I cut back more on the ketchup and added more salsa/picante for a little more kick)
1 T. 21 seasoning salute.
1/2 T. onion/garlic salt
1 c. salsa/picante

Sorry, every time I make it, it's a little different depending on my mood and whatever seasonings I have in the cupboard.

At this point, you can throw it in a crock pot on low for however long you want, or let it simmer uncovered in the pan for 20 minutes then eat it right away. By letting it simmer with the lid off, it concentrates the flavors a bit, and isn't quite so 'runny'.

This keeps well in the fridge, I've never tried to freeze it. Leftovers are good on triscuits as well if you've run out of buns.

*Pouring grease down your sink will eventually clog your pipes and be very disgusting/expensive to clear. Even if you run the hot water. I learned this the hard way :)

Urbane Guerrilla 03-20-2009 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 543432)
Define 'small'

Oval dish, no longer than five inches on the major axis. About an inch deep too. A little dab will definitely do ya. (is there a burp smilie?)

Jinx, yeah, that's it. Certainly the sprinkle of bleu cheese really makes the dish... or Gorgonzola or Stilton. Lends it a piquancy. If you have to fudge on the cheeses, don't lose the bleu.

Urbane Guerrilla 04-10-2009 11:44 PM

Crosspost from another thread. I'm not very much fish people, though I like blackened fish. Most of my ideas of fun seafood seem to center around shellfish and shrimp -- definitely not halibut! But this one looks like fun:

Phyllo-Wrapped Halibut

The recipe:

Quote:

Phyllo-Wrapped Halibut

I created this easy entree to convince my husband that seafood doesn't have to taste "fishy." He likes the flaky, phyllo wrapping as well as the bright green and red vegetables hidden inside of it. —Carrie Vazzano of Rolling Meadows, Illinois

SERVINGS: 2

CATEGORY: Lower Fat

METHOD: Baked

TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
Ingredients:

* 4 cups fresh baby spinach
* 3/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
* 3/4 teaspoon salt-free lemon-pepper seasoning, divided
* 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
* 6 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
* 2 tablespoons reduced-fat butter, melted
* 2 halibut fillets (4 ounces each)
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/8 teaspoon pepper
* 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

Directions:
In a large nonstick skillet lightly coated with cooking spray, saute spinach and red pepper until tender. Add 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper and lemon juice. Remove from the heat; cool.
Line a baking sheet with foil and coat the foil with cooking spray; set aside. Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface; brush with butter. (Until ready to use, keep phyllo dough covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Layer remaining phyllo over first sheet, brushing each with butter. Cut stack in half widthwise.
Place a halibut fillet in the center of each square; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with cheese and spinach mixture. Fold sides and bottom edge over fillet and roll up to enclose it; trim end of phyllo if necessary. Brush with remaining butter; sprinkle with remaining lemon-pepper.
Place seam side down on prepared baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 2 servings.

Shawnee123 04-11-2009 05:52 AM

I'm the opposite: I love fish but hate seafood like shrimp or crab or lobster.

I love halibut, one of my favorites. Haddock. Salmon. Tuna.

I'm hungry.

Jill 04-11-2009 12:10 PM

Thanks for sharing that recipe over here, Urbane Guerrilla. My husband and I had "paper-wrapped" halibut as one of the entrees at our wedding, and it was so delicious I had to try it myself. I made that recipe one night as an experiment, because I had a bunch of leftover stuff I needed to use up, but that weren't enough for full portions of anything by themselves. We loved it, so I can definitely recommend it.

I haven't had a chance to read through this thread thoroughly yet, but I did search through it and didn't find any recipes posted for brisket, so I thought I'd share mine. I adapted it from my step-mother's recipe, which calls for sealing it in aluminum foil, putting it in a glass baking dish surrounded by water, then babysitting it for hours, replenishing the water constantly. Doing it her way and not getting to it soon enough to add water when it dried up, caused my glass baking dish to explode in the oven! This is truly the "set it and forget it" method. . .

Jill's Famous Brisket

The modification at the bottom is also mine (and doesn't have to be used only for the reason I created it - Passover, obviously), and I can tell you it's exactly as delicious as the soup mix version, in fact, maybe even better, as I like the real mushrooms that end up in the gravy, and Better Than Bouillon is to die for yummy.

Off to go read this thread from the beginning. . .

Jill 04-11-2009 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha (Post 400577)

The best Spinach Pie ever!

Ingredients:

1 lge bunch of spinach (or silverbeet) finely chopped
1 lge Onion finely chopped
1 cup of grated cheddar cheese
2 cups of crumbled fetta cheese
1/2 cup of long grain rice (uncooked)
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil

2 sheets of puff pastry

1. Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl and then drizzle olive oil in the mixture until it starts to 'cling' together, but not drip.

2. Line a pan with 1 sheet of pastry.

3. Tip the spinach mixture into the pastry lined pan.

4. Make a lid out of the second sheet of pastry. Remember to poke holes in the top so the mixture can breath.

5. Brush melted butter or milk over the top of the pastry.

6. Bake in a moderate oven for 1 hour then turn the heat up to a hot oven for 10 minutes to brown the pastry.

7. Eat with gusto

This sounds incredibly yummy and I will definitely be trying it!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 522852)

I have some ground beef+pork+lamb here and will be needing your meatloaf recipes for tomorrow night.

I know it's well beyond the "tomorrow night" referred to in your post, but in the event that you find yourself with ground meats again, especially pork, I can highly recommend my mother-in-law's Danish frikadeller. They're similar to Swedish meatballs, but way, WAY better. :D Here's the recipe, translated from my husband's Danish cookbook, God Mad, Let at lave (Good food, easy to cook):

Ingredients

1/2 lb ground beef and 1/2 lb of ground pork (you can also use just pork, or pork and veal, whatever combination of ground meat you prefer)
1/2 cup flour
About a cup of liquid, such as milk, water or stock (we use milk)
1 egg
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 finely chopped yellow onion
Butter for frying

(This is an easy recipe to double, which we also usually do.)

Directions

In a large mixing bowl, add all ingredients except liquid, and mix for roughly 3 minutes with a hand mixer on medium speed, adding liquid to get desired consistency, which should be moist but not wet.

Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes

Heat a couple of tbsp of butter in large skillet

Dip a spoon in the hot butter from the pan and use the spoon and your hand to shape meatballs into flattened football shapes.

Drop meatballs in the skillet and fry until crispy on the outside, roughly 4 - 5 minutes on each side.

Continue the process until all the meatballs are cooked (will require several batches, or, if you're good, several pans at one time).

When they're done, they should look like this.

Serve with boiled red potatoes and green beans.

Mmmmm. Enjoy!

Alluvial 04-11-2009 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jill (Post 555306)
Serve with boiled red potatoes and green beans.

Yanno, I bet those would make good sandwiches too.

Undertoad 04-11-2009 01:54 PM

Pork meatball sammich with provolone and put under the broiler for 3 minutes?

Sign me up! (For cholesterol testing! :D )

Jill 04-11-2009 03:13 PM

They make good everything, even just pop-in-your-mouth snacks. Frikadeller are my Desert Island food. Whenever we go home to Denmark, my MIL makes a ton of them because she knows I'll inevitably get up in the middle of the night from jet lag and raid the refrigerator, heading straight for the frikadeller. Cold frikadeller -- heaven on earth.

P.S. HI, Alluvial! I'm glad to see you finally made it here!!

Alluvial 04-11-2009 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jill (Post 555341)
P.S. HI, Alluvial! I'm glad to see you finally made it here!!

Thanks, I'm glad you're here too. We should start a Refugees club. ;)

My family is going to love these Frikadeller. I'm going to try making them this week. Any reason I couldn't use venison for one of the meats?

Jill 04-11-2009 04:56 PM

The more, the merrier, I say!

I've never tried venison meat, so I have no idea how "gamey" it might taste compared to other ground meats, but if it's a flavor you like, I don't see why it wouldn't work. I will admit to preferring pork to beef, so if you're substituting one of them, I'd use pork and venison as opposed to beef and venison.

You'll have to let me know how you like them. Hope you enjoy!

Urbane Guerrilla 04-12-2009 03:46 AM

Venison's only occasionally gamey. It tastes like... well, ungulate. African antelope, deer, cattle... they all taste a little different but a recipe that works for one works for another.

This thread has no organization by theme or anything else. Until Jill, no brisket either. It's just where I throw recipes I either like or think I'd like. We just talk about food here until we get hungry and go raid the refrigerator.

I'm working on getting somebody else's apple-blueberry pie recipe the way the wife likes it -- she doesn't see any point in oversweetening a pie, particularly a fruit pie, and she may have something there. It'll be a bit more my recipe after I jigger with it a bit.

Still getting lots of raves locally with the Lemon Meringue Pie, p.1 in the thread.

Alluvial 06-18-2009 07:19 AM

I mentioned elsewhere that I would post the recipe for the Mexican Casserole. (Photo in this post).

The only essential ingredients are the corn tortillas and the tomato sauce. What else you put in there is up to you.

I usually make this in a 13" x 9" pan. You won't need as big of a pan if you put fewer ingredients in it.

I take a can of diced tomatoes (you can use fresh diced) and a can of tomato sauce and simmer that for a few minutes (10-15) on the stove with some seasonings. If you're in a hurry just put a packet of taco seasoning in there.

Then take your corn tortillas (the small kind), dip them in the sauce, and lay them flat in the pan. Six go on the bottom layer. Ladle a good coating of the tomato sauce on top of these.

Now you're ready to build the other layers. Here are some suggestions for ingredients:

1 can black beans (drained)
1 can cut corn (drained)
1/2 c diced onion
shredded cheese
1 can black olives
1 lb ground meat (beef, venison, or turkey) seasoned with one packet taco seasoning
etc.

You can stretch this further by including 1 cup of cooked rice.

Layer a couple of ingredients, then another layer of tortillas. I usually put the corn and cheese on the top.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. To keep the cheese from getting too brown, you can wait and add it for the last 15 minutes.

Very good served with a dollop of sour cream and a salad.

dar512 06-18-2009 09:55 AM

Thanks Alluvial. I suspect the darlets will enjoy this.

Alluvial 06-18-2009 11:32 AM

YVW. It's the sort of thing kids like to help make, as well - kind of fun. :)

Clodfobble 06-18-2009 03:51 PM

Thanks Al!

Urbane Guerrilla 07-12-2009 12:47 AM

Swiped from BrianR's post in "Hollandaise."

Quote:

I was trained to make all sauces at the Jax Culinary Institute, so this one is a whiz, but it is hard for a beginner to make.

To begin with, the ingredients should be at room temp, as suggested above. start your double-boiler. Whisk in cool water (out of the tap is fine) and egg yolks and a few drops of lemon juice. The lemon juice is important to add flavor!

heat over the boiler (be gentle, this sauce is delicate) until thickened. Then add the butter (clarified, not melted) s l o w l y!
only a few drops at a time until the sauce thickens well. You should be able to drop in the last Tablespoonful at the end but be gentle. If you do too fast, you will break the sauce.

If the sauce gets TOO thick, add in a few drops of HOT water at a time until it is back to where you want it. The sauce will keep for an hour or so, if you keep it warm. You should have turned off the double-boiler earlier. You can hold the sauce over that as long as it doesn't get too hot, warm is the key.

Have the muffins prepared ahead of time and do the eggs at the same time you're building the sauce. quickly heat the ham (I use Canadian Bacon on mine) and build the dish, spread a bit of sauce over the top of the eggs, and garnish with a tiny pinch of parsley or a small slice of lemon.

plthijinx 08-02-2009 10:29 AM

creole jambalaya (pork, ham, and sausage

i've made this one a lot.

this basic meat jambalaya is enriched by using beef stock in place of water. if you have no stock on hand, you can easily prepare some from a good quality beef concentrate. as in the preparation of gumbo chop the vegetables and cut up the principal ingredients before beginning to cook. i like my jambalaya very rich, but if you need to stretch it, double the amount of rice and water and add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper - you'll have enough jambalaya to feed eight. for a more delicately flavored variation, substitute lean veal for the pork.

--------------------
2 tbs. salt butter
1 1/2 c. long grain rice
4 c. chopped onion
3 c. rich beef stock
2/3 c. chopped green pepper
2 1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 c. thinly sliced green shallot (scallion) tops
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1tbs. finely minced garlic
1/2 tsp. chili powder
2 tbs. finely minced fresh parsley
2 whole bay leaves (crushed)
1 lb. lean pork cut into 3/4" cubes
1/4 tsp. thyme
1 c. finely chopped baked ham
1/8 tsp. cloves
6 creole (polish, french garlic) smoked sausages (or your fav) sliced 1/2" thick and kept refrigerated

---------------------

in a heavy 7 to 8 quart pot or kettle, melt the butter over low heat. add the vegetables, parsley, pork and ham; continue to cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for about 15 minutes, or until the veggies and pieces of meat are browned. add the sausage and seasonings and continue cooking and stirring over low heat for 5 minutes more.add the rice and beef stock and mix well, then raise the heat to high and bring to a boil. cover the pot, turn the heat to very low, and cook for 45 minutes, uncovering from time to time to stir. uncover the pot during the last 10 minutes of cooking and raise the heat to medium to allow the rice to dry out, stirring very frequently. serve immediately.

gumbo recipe to follow in the next day or so.

Urbane Guerrilla 08-07-2009 01:42 PM

This jambalaya sounds like it would work in a Crock-Pot too. Longer cooking time, set'n'forget, maybe a little less stock/water, as that is often called for with covered cooking like a crockpot.

plthijinx 08-28-2009 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla (Post 586594)
This jambalaya sounds like it would work in a Crock-Pot too. Longer cooking time, set'n'forget, maybe a little less stock/water, as that is often called for with covered cooking like a crockpot.

yeah, actually, that sounds like it would work really well if you have to time to wait.

plthijinx 08-28-2009 06:24 PM

shrimp and crab okra gumbo

The basic New Orleans seafood gumbo. Gumbo crabs are the hard shell crabs we use for cooking; any hard shell crab avail. in your area can be used. Whether you eat the cooked crab served in the gumbo is a matter of taste-some of us do and some of us don't. A delightful and slightly extravagant variation is to use lump crabmeat in addition to or use as a substitute for hard shell crabs. We like chopped smoke sausage in this gumbo because it adds a fine, smoky flavor. Reserve half of the shrimp, and if you use it, half the lump crabmeat, then add them just a few minutes before the end of the cooking time. This way your gumbo will have both the cooked-in taste of shrimp and also some good firm shrimp for eating. Be sure to have everything else ready before you start the roux because you can't do all that chopping and tend to the roux at the same time.

the gumbo base
2 c. chopped onion
3/4c. chopped green pepper
1/3c. thinly sliced green shallot (scallion) tops
2 tbs. finely minced fresh parsley
1 tbs finely minced garlic
1 1/2c. coarsely chopped creole (beefsteak, jersey) tomatoes (2 medium)
2 creole (polish, french garlic) smoked sausages, chopped fine
2 lb. whole fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 lb. gumbo crabs, broken in half
2 lb fresh okra, stems and tips removed, sliced 3/8 inch thick

the roux
3/4 c. vegetable oil
3/4 c. flour

the liquid and the seasonings
2 1/2 qt. cold water
3 whole bay leaves, crushed
1 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
5 tsp. salt
1 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper (fresh is important here...my emphasis)
1/4 tsp. cayenne (i prefer more but add or delete to your discretion)
4 tsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
10 whole allspice
1/2 tsp. mace (not the chemical, the spice :) )
8 whole cloves

k. after you have assembled the ingredients for the gumbo base, heat the oil in a heavy 7 to 8 quart pot or kettle over medium heat. Make the roux by gradually adding the flour to the oil, stirring constantly. (must. stir. constantly. don't let it sit and burn. the roux is the most important part of this. don't buy store bought either, that's cheating. the roux is the hardest and most important part of this recipe) Cook over low heat, always stirring, until a medium brown roux is formed. (this will take from 20 to 30 mins. the roux should be the color of pecan shells or hazelnuts). immediately add the onion, green peppers, shallot tops, parsley and garlic. continue cooking for about 10 minutes longer, stirring constantly; the chopped vegetables should be lightly browned at this point. Add 2 quarts of the cold water. 1 lb. of the raw shrimp, the crabs, the okra and the seasonings. Raise the heat slightly and bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 1 hour. Stir from time to time and scrape down the sides and across the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon or spatula to prevent scorching. At the end of the hour, still keeping the gumbo at a simmer, add the remaining 1/2 quart water and stir. Remove the pot from the heat and let stand at room temperature. (personally, i like to let it cool to room temp and then put it in the fridge over night. this really brings out the flavor but if you can't wait, follow recipe)
before serving, bring the gumbo to a boil and add the remaining pound of shrimp. simmer just until the shrimp turn pink, about 10 to12 minutes. stir thoroughly, turn off the heat, and cover the pot. let it sit, covered, for about 15 minutes before serving. Serve by ladling the gumbo over mounds of boiled rice in gumbo bowls or deep soup bowls.

enjoy!!!

zippyt 08-28-2009 10:18 PM

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2607/...2dc0e139_b.jpg

Oh Nom Nom Nom NOM !!!!!

bbro 08-31-2009 10:27 AM

I absolutely love this pie. I only made it once and it turned out great. I didn't have the zucchini, though. I am sure there are a bevy of veggies you could put into it. from here: http://amberveggies.blogspot.com/200...ology-pie.html

Apology Pie:

1pound sirloin cut in cubes (or you could use stew meat)
Flour (to lightly coat meat)
Salt and pepper (to season meat)
1-2 potatoes diced or thinly sliced, however you prefer
A handful of diced zucchini
1 medium onion, sliced
2 c beef stock
9 inch pie crust

Preheat oven to 400F.
In a bag mix flour, salt, and pepper.
Add meat and shake to coat.
Brown meat with onions. Add stock and lower heat.
Simmer for 30 min or until meat is tender.
Add potatoes and zucchini and simmer another 10 minutes.
Spoon everything into pie shell
Bake 30 min or until crust is done.

This serves about four, unless you are like my boyfriend. Then it serves about 1 and a half.

Cloud 08-31-2009 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla (Post 555112)
I'm not very much fish people, . . . Most of my ideas of fun seafood . . .

OMG! I almost choked to death laughing at this, trying desperately not to conjure up images of UGs ideas of "fun seafood" . . .

Pie 08-31-2009 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbro (Post 591501)
I absolutely love this pie.

Thank you! :blush:

bbro 09-02-2009 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pie (Post 591624)
Thank you! :blush:

Welcome :D Wait, you don't come with gravy! Must be another pie :p

monster 09-02-2009 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbro (Post 592035)
Wait, you don't come with gravy!

How do you know?!!!11!1 :eek:

Cloud 09-02-2009 01:53 PM

For discussion: What would you do if you discovered you were a pedophile?

(oops)

Clodfobble 09-02-2009 01:54 PM

This, ah, was probably supposed to be its own thread. :)

DanaC 09-06-2009 05:18 PM

I made a lovely lamb broth yesterday. Big pan of it so I had it for last night's evening meal and again this evening. Always nicest second day:)

Ingredients:
500g blend of lamb and mutton mince (ground meat I think you guys call it)
1 large white onion roughly chopped
5 new potatoes with skins scraped but not peeled, cut into halves.
1 large carrot scraped and chopped
1 large closed cap white mushroom sliced
1/2 broccoli broken into florets
1 tin garden peas
2 cloves garlic crushed
dessert spoon of dried mixed herbs
3/4 pint of vegetable stock
teaspoon of cornflour (or plain flour)
tablespoon of cooking oil
tablespoon of worcestershire sauce
a shake or three of salt, pepper and ground chilli flakes.

Dead easy:

Heat the oil in large pan and throw in the onions. let 'em sweat for about 7 mins stirring or shaking occasionally to stop them sticking.
Add the mincemeat and brown gently, stirring often. Salt, pepper, chilliflakes and about half the herbs and half the worstershire sauce can be added during this part.
When the meat is starting to brown and fat is gathering in the pan, add the cornflour (dont mix with water first) sprinkling it so it soaks up the fat and keep browning. The meat should start to catch the base of the pan a little. That's good, let it but keep it moving so it doesn't stick totally and burn.

Throw in the carrots and keep stirring the lot. After about five minutes add the potatoes and keep stirring to brown everything. Give that about five minutes and then add the stock and stir. Add the crushed garlic.

Give it about another ten minutes then add the mushrooms; another ten minutes and add the broccoli and peas.

Throw in the rest of the herbs and worstershire sauce, cover and simmer on a gentle heat for about 20 minutes (longer if you like a slow-cooked taste) stirring occasionally. Then give it 5-10 mins with the lid off if the liquid levels are still high.

Just before the end it's worth throwing in a little more worstershire sauce and pepper.

Serve with crusty bread. Delightful.

Urbane Guerrilla 09-07-2009 02:39 AM

We tend to call that sort of blend meatloaf: beef/pork/veal optionally, ground all together, extended a bit with breadcrumbs, seasoned with herbs and a little salt, sometimes topped with ketchup or any other suitable seasoned sauce -- Worcestershire's fine to flavor it, but A-1 Sauce will actually stay on top of the loaf -- and baked in a loaf pan or baking dish.

Serve with mashed potatoes and veg.

Urbane Guerrilla 09-07-2009 02:44 AM

Blackened, Cloud, blackened. Blackened is fun, but it's gotta be the real spice mix and the butter. Paul Prudhomme's recipe taught me how. Any diluted form has just been insipid by comparison. I'd go so far as to call it debased. If it isn't hot enough to make the Cajun preacher dance, it's not done right and you've lost two-thirds of the potential experience. Bland food is the enemy. Don't let it win.

DanaC 09-07-2009 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla (Post 593081)
We tend to call that sort of blend meatloaf: beef/pork/veal optionally, ground all together, extended a bit with breadcrumbs, seasoned with herbs and a little salt, sometimes topped with ketchup or any other suitable seasoned sauce -- Worcestershire's fine to flavor it, but A-1 Sauce will actually stay on top of the loaf -- and baked in a loaf pan or baking dish.

My mum used to make meatloaf when I was a kid:)

This was a broth: meat and vegetables cooked slowly in stock which then becomes a thick gravy. It's quite gloopy. Not remotely loaflike. If done to a drier consistency it then becomes a 'hash'.

capnhowdy 09-07-2009 08:26 AM

I like bell peppers and onions in my meat loaf. Baked with a thick ketchup based topping.
I cook them in the microwave and brown with the oven broiler.
Fav sides: Mashed potatoes and garden peas. (my mom calls them English peas). What's up with that?

TheMercenary 09-07-2009 12:42 PM

I haven't had a good meatloaf in years.

Cloud 09-07-2009 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla (Post 593082)
Blackened, Cloud, blackened. Blackened is fun, but it's gotta be the real spice mix and the butter. Paul Prudhomme's recipe taught me how. Any diluted form has just been insipid by comparison. I'd go so far as to call it debased. If it isn't hot enough to make the Cajun preacher dance, it's not done right and you've lost two-thirds of the potential experience. Bland food is the enemy. Don't let it win.

, ooh, fun, hot, and debased! my kind of food!

Cloud 09-07-2009 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla (Post 593081)

good meatloaf is yum! crappy meatloaf is scary.

Urbane Guerrilla 09-09-2009 10:59 PM

Yeah, bad meatloaf is bland and dull. Its perpetrators should be ductaped to kitchen chairs and made to eat the entire thing.

Then they should be untaped (the hard way if you're feeling mean -- rrrrrippp!) and served a small portion of a meatloaf with a flavor in it. And a touch of juiciness, possibly provided by a gravy content...

Chopped onion, yes. Even BBQ sauce as topping if you don't care for ketchup, which will concentrate in the baking, producing something like a ketchup beyond ketchup. And then there are the people who bake some bacon slices over the top.

Meatloaf came up on a thread UT had... he was looking for particularly fine meatloaf for company some months back.

Undertoad 09-10-2009 12:11 AM

I now have theories. I believe that the meat combination should be ground beef only, no other types. I believe that 80-20 or 85-15 (meat/fat percentage) are actually better than having less fat content. Bread crumbs are fine. I believe that the ground meat should not be very firmly packed, as we are not producing sausage, and that we should accept that the meat may fall apart on the plate a little. I believe that onion must be involved but that it should be chopped very, very finely. Pepper is right out, except for black pepper which must be included. I believe that garlic mashed potatoes and corn are the ideal accompaniments. I believe there are other spices or herbs which may help produce good results but that I haven't done much experimentation. Perhaps thyme or sage.

glatt 09-10-2009 08:10 AM

I also add a little egg to my meatloaf to help hold it together, and I make it into a loaf and cook it in the center of a lasagna pan so the juices can escape. I do not pack it into a bread pan for baking.

Any thoughts on the pan?

Shawnee123 09-10-2009 11:31 AM

I cook it that way too glatt. I add egg also. Mom uses a bread pan. Meatloaf, like pizza and chili, can be made so many different ways. Part of their charm.

So I went to the cafeteria and instead of getting my typical salad I got the meatloaf special they are running today. I was happy because since I visited this thread this morning I've been craving meatloaf.

It's not too bad. :)

Clodfobble 09-10-2009 11:51 AM

I've found that when I'm craving meatloaf, what I'm usually actually craving is ketchup. Meatloaf with barbecue sauce is worthless to me.

Shawnee123 09-10-2009 11:52 AM

You know, they put a gravy on it that if I had my druthers would have been ketchup instead.

Still, not bad for school food.

Pie 09-10-2009 12:26 PM

Ix-nay the etchup-kay.
BBQ sauce, A-1, maybe a good concentrated marinara, a hoisin sauce, even a mustard/mayo combo. But no ketchup. :yeldead:

I like a little bit of pork in the meatloaf mix. I add quite a bit of breadcrumb and a bit of milk. And sauteed minced onion. Other spicing depends on the 'theme' of the meatloaf.

I do an awesome Thai green curry turkey meatloaf. With jasmine rice and stir-fried veggies.

Aliantha 09-10-2009 06:25 PM

I made meatloaf for the first time ever a couple of months back and it was a hit with the family. I just used ground beef (very lean) and put some herbs (parsley, chives, shallotts) and spices (salt, pepper, cracked chilli and a couple of others) in along with some onion and garlic, some evaporated milk, an egg and some breadcrumbs. I served it with a beef stock gravy which the boys then added bbq sauce to.

I've made it twice more since then and it's as popular as ever. I never thought I'd like it, but I do.

Last night I made spaghetti and meatballs. that was a hit too.

capnhowdy 09-11-2009 06:28 AM

I use a 50/50 mix of Italian sausage and ground beef for my meatballs. A just a little breadcrumbs.

Urbane Guerrilla 10-09-2009 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pie (Post 593888)
I do an awesome Thai green curry turkey meatloaf. . .

Hey, wow, Pie, could you favor us with the recipe? Sounds like something the wife would like, and we tend to underutilize ground bird. Need to get more imaginative.

[Woo! Post #300!]