The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What I Learned Today (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9981)

melidasaur 02-06-2006 01:11 PM

I learned that people get patents for some very odd things or apply for patents on odd things.

barefoot serpent 02-06-2006 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf
You can use your staff if you're short on sporting equipment in the household.

I learned that there is often an offcolor joke lurking in wolfs posts. :o

tw 02-06-2006 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barefoot serpent
I learned that there is often an offcolor joke lurking in wolfs posts.

That depends on which colors are considered normal.

mrnoodle 02-06-2006 03:46 PM

I learned that turning my visiting nephew loose on my World of Warcraft account while I'm at work is a win-win scenario. He doesn't have to hang around the adults, and I will have another toon to play when he goes home.

limey 02-06-2006 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippyt
... sysucingthly ...

I learnt again that zippyt says things his own way and I admire him for it (I promise there is no irony nor sarcasm in this post).

glatt 02-06-2006 04:01 PM

I learned the story of dord, a clerical screw up that was harmless, went unnoticed for years, and, in hindsight, has a nice trivia value.

capnhowdy 02-06-2006 06:04 PM

...that you CAN learn a new word every day if you know where to look.

Thanks, glatt.

xoxoxoBruce 02-06-2006 06:16 PM

NO, no, no no. No more new words.
Eye kant speil they uns eye've gut. :headshake

Granola Goddess 02-06-2006 06:16 PM

With help from the internet, today I learned what ingredients goes into a delicious Lebanese dish I had at a friend's house on the weekend.

I also learned that it's called "Majudarrah", which is hard to pronounce after you've had too much red wine...

Majudarrah - Lebanese Lentils and Rice
Ingredients (use vegan versions):
1 cup lentils
1 cup white or brown rice
2 medium to large onions
olive oil
salt to taste
vegan yoghurt for garnish
4 cups water (slightly less if pressure cooking)
Directions:

A very simple but very delicious dish. The key is in the onions: peel and slice or dice them, then fry them slowly in some olive oil until they are golden brown. They will shrink considerably, so always start with more than you think you need. If you're using white rice, add the lentils, water and salt; cook 15 minutes, then add the rice, cover the pot and finish cooking. If you're using brown rice, add it to the pot at the same time as the lentils. (Obviously, you can cook it much quicker if you use a pressure cooker--the brown rice version takes only 15 minutes once everything is in the pot. Just be sure to reduce the amount of water by 1/4 or 1/ 2 cup, since very little will evaporate.) When it's cooked, stir to mix in the onions (they'll all be on the top) and serve with vegan yoghurt. Yum!

Serves: 4-6

Preparation time: 1 hour

BrianR 02-06-2006 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaggieL
If my memory doesn't fail me and dov is the same dov I met at a Cellar GTG something like 15 years ago, she's female.

My Cellar handle was JaniceL in those days...

Nice to see you back Mags. Did you move? I thought you lived in Norristown?

Also, you're thinking of Dev, mother to our dear Ruthie Purple. Last I heard, she had moved to DE to be with her man. But that information is VERY old now.

Brian

MaggieL 02-06-2006 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianR
Nice to see you back Mags. Did you move? I thought you lived in Norristown?

Not Norristown, puleeze.

Jeffersonville. West Norriton Township. (If I lived in Actual Norristown, I'd carry a spare magazine more often. 12 rounds might not be enough.)

Still living at the same place last we met IRL, though. I GAFIAte from here once in a while for a decent interval, then come back to See What They've Done With The Old Place. Sure has come a long way from the days when you might have to wait for an open line. :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianR
Also, you're thinking of Dev, mother to our dear Ruthie Purple. Last I heard, she had moved to DE to be with her man. But that information is VERY old now.

Ah, yeas...."dev" not "dov"--right you are. What a difference a vowel makes.

footfootfoot 02-06-2006 10:02 PM

Today I learned that I am more adept at first aid and diagnosis than the pa at my local emergentcy clinic. (TGINS thank god it's not serious) Only I don't have ready access to 'caine type painkillers.

"we'll just do an xray to be sure you didn't hit the bone" = would you like another round of drinks or dessert?"

me: "I can live without the xray, I'm pretty sure I'd know if I hit the bone" = I'm paying for this out of pocket, let's not inflate the bill with a bunch of useless frills intended to compensate for insurance comapnies who only pay you 40 cents on the dollar."

zippyt 02-06-2006 11:19 PM

limey, :beer: :guinness:

Rock Steady 02-06-2006 11:45 PM

For my new job of three weeks, I learned a lot about company decisions and plans. One of the founders took me to lunch for two and a half hours. It was very special to get that much time with him one-on-one. We are six weeks from first product launch; exciting times.

Rock Steady 02-06-2006 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaggieL
Jeffersonville. West Norriton Township.

My last x-gf is from Wyndmoor; we stayed at her parent's place a few times. So, I had to lookup Jeffersonville, I guess for old time's sake. Today, I learned where Jeffersonville is.