The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Avatar in IMAX (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=21652)

Cloud 01-06-2010 01:40 PM

The movies I like the best (and YMMV, I realize that) are visual and visceral, not cerebral. With that critera, Avatar is a fantastic movie, and "totally awesome" in the original sense of awesome.

And y'all are just sourpusses who neglect their inner child. AND there's nothing wrong with the damn font.

;)

Flint 01-06-2010 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloud (Post 624333)
If I wanted a "good" movie . . . I'd read a book.

What do you do when you want to hear a good song, look at an oil painting?

Cloud 01-06-2010 01:49 PM

a good story, then, if you don't like my metaphor.

I don't necessarily go to the movies for the storyline; I go for a visual, and sometimes auditory experience. Movies which do not provide that get relegated to second tier, at-home, small screen.

Pico and ME 01-06-2010 02:05 PM

I, too, was reluctant to see Avatar because even though I love most animated films, something about this one didn't sit right with me...something to do with the faces with those big eyes. I didn't look into the movie at all and when my husband wanted to use free tickets on the movie, even then, I declined (we saw Sherlock Holmes instead). He finally put his foot down and it was the next movie we saw and I ended up really enjoying it. I thought the effects would bother me, but I became totally immersed in them and the story. Yes, it was predictable and the ending was simply too fairy tale, but it did entertain me. At one point though, I was sitting there wondering if the audience in my theater was actually getting the message that they are part of this military/industrial complex that destroys whatever gets in its way? And always wins, unlike in this movie.

dar512 01-06-2010 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 624328)
I like good movies, so...

Now you're just sounding snooty.

Flint 01-06-2010 03:42 PM

Of all the things I've said, one off-the-cuff comment made in jest (in reply to the immediately preceeding post) is what you're getting from this?

Shawnee123 01-06-2010 03:52 PM

I get that sometimes I sounds snooty in my critiques. However, does a piano player keep playing Mary Had a Little Lamb, once he's learned Mozart? ;)

squirell nutkin 01-06-2010 03:54 PM

RE: papyrus
Usually the Cellar is about 2-4 weeks ahead of the curve when it comes to current events. The real typeface nerds have been moaning about how crappy papyrus is for a long long time now. (like 20 dolla long time)

Anyway, Dar, put "Helvetica" on your queue and you will be entertained and gain an insight into the world of typographers and how passionate they are about something 99% of the population are/is blissfully unaware of.

Cloud 01-06-2010 03:55 PM

sometimes it's the little things that get ya

Cloud 01-06-2010 03:59 PM

I recently saw the movie, Shorts (Adventures of the Wishing Rock), and was amused by the typographer nerdiness. One of the kids was named, "Helvetica" -- last name Black. Thank you, Robert Rodriguez!

(also, the main character in that movie was the same kid who played young James T. Kirk in ST:AOS--the only casting misstep I could see in that movie)

Happy Monkey 01-06-2010 04:09 PM

It seems like, among the typeface nerds, font quality is based on how few of the wrong sort of people use it, rather than any attribute of the font itself. I think Papyrus is a fine looking font, and appropriate for Avatar, and the fact that National Geographic and newsletter writers like it too doesn't diminish that for me.

It's unfortunate for anybody if something they bring in affects their enjoyment of a film, but it's not James Cameron's fault if the Na'vi are the same color as your mother-in-law's bathroom.

squirell nutkin 01-06-2010 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 624378)
It seems like, among the typeface nerds, font quality is based on how few of the wrong sort of people use it, rather than any attribute of the font itself. I think Papyrus is a fine looking font, and appropriate for Avatar, and the fact that National Geographic and newsletter writers like it too doesn't diminish that for me.

It's unfortunate for anybody if something they bring in affects their enjoyment of a film, but it's not James Cameron's fault if the Na'vi are the same color as your mother-in-law's bathroom.

Audibly laughed in a muttley knid of way.

Cloud 01-06-2010 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 624378)
the wrong sort of people . . .

ummm. regarding fonts? You guys have anything against Times New Roman?

dar512 01-06-2010 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirell nutkin (Post 624373)
Anyway, Dar, put "Helvetica" on your queue and you will be entertained and gain an insight into the world of typographers and how passionate they are about something 99% of the population are/is blissfully unaware of.

I'll do that, squirell. But I am not ignorant of typography. I worked at Aldus for 7 years. But I still think criticizing a movie for the font it uses is over the top. It seems to me like people congratulating each other on being the in crowd. I have yet to hear a meaningful argument against it.

It's overused? Times-Roman has been around since 1931.

It's not unreadable, it's not ugly. It may be cutesy, but it fits the movie.

Pie 01-06-2010 04:18 PM

ooh ooh font-battle! :corn:
COMIC SANS FOREVER!!!