The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Sports (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Cellar Fantasy Football 2013 (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=29274)

infinite monkey 09-12-2013 02:19 PM

I don't know what it is, but it's seems differnt this year. I might understand the rules and the penalties and the plays and stuff like "you should try for a home run if it's like, 4th and inches" but I'm not all algorithmically inclined. I grew up living and breathing the best game on earth, but this is beyond me. I know it's just for funsies but I'm naturally competitive and I'm realizing the FF league has moved beyond my realm. I'd never make it in the big leagues,where folks pay a bunch of money and study the stats and projections. I don't mind losing but i really hate being the complete moron. ;)

Perhaps my current temperament and state of fog is confusing me.

BigV 09-12-2013 02:33 PM

the study of the stats and money, etc. is the main premise of the movie Moneyball starring Brad Pitt. I enjoyed the movie immensely.

infinite monkey 09-12-2013 02:40 PM

I saw that available for sale, and on sale as a 'used' copy and I'd really like to see it. I'll go look for it again.

jimhelm 09-12-2013 02:44 PM

there do seem to be a lot of sneaky tabs at the tops of frames that change the view..... like the game center: I'm used to going there and seeing my guys on the left, my opponent on the right... this year, I go there, and by default, I see the newspaper article thing... I have to go to the 'simple box score' tab to see it the way I like.

infinite monkey 09-12-2013 02:46 PM

I'll look for that, thanks! :)

glatt 09-12-2013 02:52 PM

Seems like the available players suck more this year too. Or maybe I didn't snatch up the good ones fast enough.

infinite monkey 09-12-2013 02:56 PM

I think I was a bad drafter. It all sort of fell into place in previous years: not stellar teams but not gawdawful teams either.

It's my fault for being a draft dodger.

Of course it's way early in the season and a lot can happen. Hone. I shall hone my team.

GO RATS!

(Besides, my helmet is the coolest, thanks to jim.) :)

jimhelm 09-12-2013 03:32 PM

yours IS the coolest.

there are 2 more teams this year, and we have 2 more starting spots than most leagues, so our rosters are larger.

bye weeks make for change. be patient. it's a long season.

lumberjim 09-13-2013 08:58 AM

Nice move grabbing eddelman, tone. He's the only one that can catch on the Pats this year, it seems. 13 catches? Nice.

I was gonna grab him, but I went with hankerson. Seemed like rg3 likes him. I also picked up geno Smith last week. Boy. He sucks.

Undertoad 09-13-2013 09:55 AM

Yeah it turns out all the Pats' TEs are banged up right now so they are limited on personnel with good hands.

If I win this week, I'ma win out, so you people got to start hating on me ASAP.

Gino Smith could still come around... first few games of the season are always weird

glatt 09-13-2013 09:59 AM

Yay! I got an award!

"The Week 1 Poor Lineup Decisions Trophy goes to Ruff Riders for leaving 136.2 points on the bench."

infinite monkey 09-13-2013 10:12 AM

No WAY! That beats even ME!

I still don't know about Ponder. He's an enigma, a mystery wrapped in pigskin. I mean...who really IS this "Ponder"?

I guess I'll keep him. Remaining QBs are all like Pollyanna Pancake and Little Lord Fauntleroy, and they just don't sound like good picks.

Griff 09-13-2013 06:43 PM

Well played Sir! ;)

jimhelm 09-15-2013 02:03 PM

Damn, I wish I had Dez Bryant this year. He is killing it.

Aaron Rodgers is going off the redskins. W00t!

lumberjim 09-16-2013 02:18 PM

Good Game Glatt