The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Health (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   I joined the Gym yesterday (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=26879)

infinite monkey 03-21-2012 08:14 AM

I'm makin' plans.

Shall I sleep in my car if we pick the, um, third option? ;)

Lamplighter 03-21-2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 802679)
So that's where Sam has been: getting all in-shapey and stuff. ;)

You ladies are my inspiration. Now all I have to do is turn inspiration into action!

Looking forward to pics of your off-road adventures in the National Parks.
Ummm.... off-road adventures with silver foxes may be kept private.

Myblogmind 03-21-2012 09:46 AM

Always wanted to join a gym but many who have done it say that it will change the look of your face and they recommend not to join is it true in your case also.

infinite monkey 03-21-2012 10:12 AM

Srsly, I don't know if I can make it on Saturday. I did just shell out a grand for my car. :(

classicman 03-21-2012 04:08 PM

Wrong thread, but ... was that $1000 your deductible?
If the other guy was at fault AND had insurance, you shouldn't have shelled out a cent!

monster 03-21-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myblogmind (Post 802708)
Always wanted to join a gym but many who have done it say that it will change the look of your face and they recommend not to join is it true in your case also.

I think this should be a cellar tag line

infinite monkey 03-21-2012 05:25 PM

classic, that was the deductible. My insurance said they found no matching plate. The police officer told me it was registered to a maroon chevy in B____. (It was a maroon camaro.)

They don't seem really interested in pursuing it, but for my part I'm waiting on the police report. I called on Monday and they said they weren't done with march yet and to try next week. When I get that I'll present it to my insurance and they can try to recoup their money and my deductible.

If he's insured. If they even know who he is because maybe it's not his car. A lot of ifs.

SamIam 03-21-2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamplighter (Post 802689)
Looking forward to pics of your off-road adventures in the National Parks.
Ummm.... off-road adventures with silver foxes may be kept private.

Oh, I never can resist posting pix of the cool places I am fortunate enough to visit. I am strongly tempted to head out for Island in the Sky on Sunday since I won't have to come back to the Bates from then until next Thursday. Temps are supposed to be in the mid 70's plus, so I may go out there to do some recon. The place I really want to go where the off-roading gets pretty difficult is the Needles District. I'm going to have to hold off on that until I am more aerobically fit. There are places there where if something goes wrong with your 4 wheeler, you need to be able to walk out 20 miles to reach the nearest anything besides desert.

And, alas, I have a better chance of posting a picture of a cougar (the cat, not the hussy) than I do of getting any silver fox pictures, so rest easy. ;)

monster 04-02-2012 05:33 PM

Hmm. Looks like I have a long way to go at the gym! Today I passed the physical (swimming) prereqs to get certified as a Red Cross Lifeguard, but my upper body strength/body weight almost let me down.....

No gym for me this week -9-5 at the pool everyday and -hopefully- by Friday I'll be certified.

ZenGum 04-02-2012 06:49 PM

Certified? Is that to do with Wolf being back in work?

infinite monkey 04-02-2012 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 805008)
Certified? Is that to do with Wolf being back in work?

You're thinking of certifiable.

Which monster definitely is, just not in this context. :p:

monster 04-02-2012 07:14 PM

no, Zen nailed it ;)

....omg I'm so tired, and only halfway through my homework. I suspect subsided stress is as big a factor as physical exertion, though......

monster 04-09-2012 12:01 PM

OK, back at the gym with a vengeance! Body needed the whirlpool after last week's exertions, so actually went on Saturday. Did weight training first, because no workout = no spa.

Today, weights again, then swam a mile, almost all freestyle. Felt good. Did it in six faster sets of 300 rather than continuous with a one-two minute rest/stretch between sets. (300 was the prereq/warm up each day for the lifeguard course and I wanted to se what if felt like without the varsity swimmers making the pool all choppy and leaving me in their wake) Felt good -different, but good.

monster 04-15-2012 10:04 AM

Still going, still not really losing any weight or belly mass, though. But I have much improved upper body strength, was able to do a lot more "push-ups" when I tried on Friday.

LabRat 04-16-2012 10:32 AM

Go Swim is by far the best resource for high quality video of EVERYTHING swim related that I have found. I learned about it when I was a member of our local Master's swim team.
Here is an example of one of the videos: Basic Flip Turn Video
Some of my favorites are the Drills videos, which break down portions of whatever it is you need help on. Like this one for Flip Turns.
Those are the most useful to me these days, since I can't swim with the Master's anymore.

Happy swimming!