The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hurricane! (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=3961)

OnyxCougar 09-22-2003 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
She must be a witch.

:whofart: Meaning what, exactly?

xoxoxoBruce 09-22-2003 07:00 PM

Don't mess with me or I'll tell everybody you're a closet Mormon.:p

OnyxCougar 09-22-2003 07:02 PM

EX-Mormon. And I've already mentioned that here.

:p

xoxoxoBruce 09-22-2003 07:08 PM

That's what you say.:p

plthijinx 09-22-2003 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by tw

When in the hurricane eye, does the ocean go flat? I too was watchng 41025 hoping to learn what happens to ocean surface as hurricane winds stop.

Suddenly waves in the high twenties rose to high thirties. Then the wind speed and direction data stopped. Then at somewhere between 2:30 and 2:40, the data buoy went silent. 44 foot waves were the highest when the data buoy failed.

Nearby data buoy 41025 is the Diamond Shoals Light tower. Unlit because it is too unstable to put maintenance people on. Did DSL survive those 44+ foot waves? And what happens to 44 foot waves when they hit a bottom that is only 70 feet down?

it's my understanding that the seas won't have time to calm down in the eye. too much going on around it to settle. only the wind calms down due to the center. in a low pressure system the winds are rotating counter-clock wise and up so all it's doing in the warmer waters is feeding itself......i'm rambling again. as far as the 44+ and 70 foot depth? one helluva jacuzzi!:thumb:

OnyxCougar 09-22-2003 07:50 PM

hehehe You're so silly.

Elspode 09-22-2003 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
Not like Harry Chapin!?!? She must be a witch.:haha: :haha: :haha:
She just doesn't like long, drawn out, repetetive-melody story songs. I, however, love the damn things.

Sniper..what an amazingly cool song about a terribly disturbing subject, and written so many years ago...

Uryoces 09-23-2003 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by OnyxCougar

:whofart: Meaning what, exactly?

You're made of wood, and they can build a bridge out of you!:D

russotto 09-23-2003 12:42 PM

There's a bulge in the sea at the eye of the hurricane. That's a large part of what becomes the storm surge when the storm moves ashore.

xoxoxoBruce 09-23-2003 05:02 PM

So saying, that hurricane was a big sucker, is more than just an expression. ;)

happyhshoe 09-23-2003 07:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Has this one already been posted here? Allegedly an Isabel pic.
Methinks I'd be pointing that ship hard to starboard at that moment.

xoxoxoBruce 09-23-2003 07:29 PM

Yes, and proven fake. :)

plthijinx 09-24-2003 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by russotto
There's a bulge in the sea at the eye of the hurricane. That's a large part of what becomes the storm surge when the storm moves ashore.
that makes sense seeing as how the low pressure is, ahem, sucking everything counterclockwise and up (calm down bruce, i know that got ya started!:D )

xoxoxoBruce 09-25-2003 04:12 AM

Contrary to popular opinion, I can vacuum the rugs without becoming excited. I just don't see the point. :p

zippyt 09-25-2003 10:59 PM

I hope every body weathered the storm ok . I have never been thru a huricane , quite a few tornadoes , weirdest but best place to hide is in a bath tub in an inside bathroom. As i said i have never been thru a huracane , but i did get to sit thru a typhone ( i know same shit different part of the world ) in Okinowa Japan once . They made us put our wall lockers against the windows and sit in the middle of the squad bay . Once when we were going to chow in a aprox 70-80 knot wind we heard "YAAAHOOOO" and this dude went ZIPPING by on a flat cart with a broom stick and a bed sheet , a freind and I looked at each other and said "I wounder how he would stop ?? or turn ??"
About 5 minets later we heard an amdulance headed the way he was going .
Once when i was stationed in Iceland the weather got bad ( who am i trying to fool , the weather was bad most of the time ) , 80-90 knot winds , some damn fool kid got his hands on a parashoute , stepped out in the wind and said "Hey ya'll watch this !!!" ,,,, the PJs ( air force resque dudes,BEST OF THE BEST ) never found him or any trace of him . I guess it was the big man up stairs thinning the heard :confused: :confused: :(