The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Technology (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Subterranean Power Line Blues (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=34810)

tw 01-29-2020 06:35 PM

Even Mexican drug dealers bury their supply line. We still put electric lines overhead where failures are more due to exposure.

Undertoad 02-08-2020 12:52 PM

State of Tesla Autopilot: dude drives 45 minutes, through 8 miles of city and on 3 highways, with no intervention other than to set the car's speed and tell it when to do a few optional lane changes.

The car doesn't have to manage any stop signs/lights, or complicated yields, or weird traffic, or bikes or people or geese walking across the road, etc. That's not included in the current Autopilot. But this level is still pretty impressive.

glatt 02-08-2020 05:19 PM

https://jalopnik.com/tesla-remotely-...mer-1841472617

Don’t buy a used Tesla, because Tesla turns off features for the new owner.

xoxoxoBruce 02-08-2020 11:22 PM

Right out of Apple's playbook for the iPhone. :eyebrow:

fargon 02-09-2020 02:18 PM

i don't want the self driving option anyway.

BigV 02-09-2020 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1046246)
Right out of Apple's playbook for the iPhone. :eyebrow:

John Deere beat'em to it.

Quote:

It’s official: John Deere and General Motors want to eviscerate the notion of ownership. Sure, we pay for their vehicles. But we don’t own them. Not according to their corporate lawyers, anyway.

In a particularly spectacular display of corporate delusion, John Deere---the world's largest agricultural machinery maker ---told the Copyright Office that farmers don’t own their tractors. Because computer code snakes through the DNA of modern tractors, farmers receive “an implied license for the life of the vehicle to operate the vehicle.”

It’s John Deere’s tractor, folks. You’re just driving it.

Griff 02-10-2020 06:52 AM

It seems peculiar that corporations would be full on destroying the concept of ownership. They would seem to be opening a door they are not ready for.

BigV 02-10-2020 10:27 AM

They would much rather have an ongoing income stream rather than the episodic bursts from "purchases". Witness SaaS (Software as a Service) from Microsoft with the Office 365 product. It's a subscription model now. They've traded a couple hundred dollar *one time* purchase for a much less expensive, but much more frequent, indeed, continuous membership/subscription/licensing/buzzword payment. It seems to be the natural evolution of built-in obsolescence.

BigV 02-10-2020 10:31 AM

While I'm at it, I'd like to say a word of praise and gratitude for my analog vehicles with their battery-free iron keys and their mostly mechanical engine control systems. They're harder to hack. They'll be the unstealable stick shifts of the (very near) future. "What do you mean you can't get a signal? Ping the doors again."

glatt 02-10-2020 10:39 AM

I wonder if they will ever be banned from the roads as new cars start to talk to each other and can't talk to the old cars?

BigV 02-10-2020 10:54 AM

"Ever"? Sure. In George Jetson's time. Meanwhile, the ramp up from any autonomy to some autonomy on the way to total autonomy will necessarily include some shared road time.

In another perspective, we already do have *some* roads that are limited access and could much more readily accommodate talking cars only.

xoxoxoBruce 02-10-2020 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 1046325)
It seems peculiar that corporations would be full on destroying the concept of ownership. They would seem to be opening a door they are not ready for.

They are opening the door to liability and damages that lawyers for insurance companies will be caravanning through in droves.

By the way, hot rodders swapping in bigger engines from late model cars face a nightmare of electronics. A couple aftermarket companies are building stand alone electronic controls that the engine will plug into, easy peasy.

Happy Monkey 02-10-2020 01:15 PM

One story I heard on the Tesla in particular was that it was as "lemon law" trade-in, and the option was supposed to have been transferred to the new one, but somehow wasn't removed from the old one. So, if that is accurate, it may not be a straight policy of new vs used cars, as refurbished lemons aren't quite the same as used cars, but the mistake was Tesla's and they should fix it.

xoxoxoBruce 02-10-2020 01:24 PM

When I read that I assumed they gave the buyer his money back, but if they gave him another car that would make sense. Bad communication makes for bad PR though.

Happy Monkey 02-10-2020 03:56 PM

Either way (exchange or refund), I don't have a problem with removing an option like that for a factory-refurbished car, but it has to be done before the car is auctioned off with the option enabled, not after.