The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I bawt a Tesla (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=35249)

xoxoxoBruce 07-24-2020 03:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Damn Tony, $104 million for a blue one!! :lol:

Undertoad 08-02-2020 07:54 PM

Fanboi alarm! WOOT WOOOOOOOT

Well they came out with their quarterly safety statement and here, from accident data 2020-Q2, it's pretty interesting:

Quote:

In the 2nd quarter, we registered one accident for every 4.53 million miles driven in which drivers had Autopilot engaged. For those driving without Autopilot but with our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 2.27 million miles driven. For those driving without Autopilot and without our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 1.56 million miles driven. By comparison, NHTSA’s most recent data shows that in the United States there is an automobile crash every 479,000 miles.
Well.... I dunno. There are still some gotchas in this data; like, you won't/can't use Autopilot under the most unsafe conditions, like when the roads are poor.

But this does make me feel better about Autopilot. I'm using it more.

Today I had an unexpected moment with it. I wanted to unwrap a cheese stick using both hands, and I started driving the car with my knees, as one does. Then I realized: duh, let the car take over the driving. The car is a waaay better driver than my knees. Even with 40 years of experience in knee-driving.

xoxoxoBruce 08-03-2020 01:06 AM

Knees are poor drivers, even pro knees are risky. Their problem being the brain is disconnected. It's like a brain off to college just calling home once a week with the knees doing the best they can between calls.

People don't realize hands free phone calls do the same thing. When the person on the line mentions a third party you're spinning your mental rolodex looking for that person. When they mention a place, back to the mental picture files. When they describe an interaction with someone, you're building a stage set picturing the interaction playing out in your head.

That is called distracting driving.
Yeah, I know, you do it all the time and nothing more than a HONK, oops sorry, has happened. But it will.

Griff 08-03-2020 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1056024)
Knees are poor drivers, even pro knees are risky. Their problem being the brain is disconnected. It's like a brain off to college just calling home once a week with the knees doing the best they can between calls.

That's why I'm an elbow driver. ;)

xoxoxoBruce 08-04-2020 08:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Model 3...

Undertoad 08-04-2020 08:41 PM

Model X rollover test

Griff 08-05-2020 06:15 AM

Wow, really low center of gravity. She must be amazing on corners.

glatt 08-05-2020 06:27 AM

Weebles wobble but they don’t fall down.

Gravdigr 08-05-2020 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 1056139)
She must be amazing on corners.

It's my understanding from the car mags that they are exactly that, amazing.

xoxoxoBruce 08-06-2020 12:55 AM

Got all that battery weight down low, a little tug on the rope and it rolls right back in the sand or whatever that is. Laying on its side on hard ground would be harder to upright it, might have to ask your date to get out and help. ;)

limey 08-06-2020 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1056024)

People don't realize hands free phone calls do the same thing. When the person on the line mentions a third party you're spinning your mental rolodex looking for that person. When they mention a place, back to the mental picture files. When they describe an interaction with someone, you're building a stage set picturing the interaction playing out in your head.

That is called distracting driving.
Yeah, I know, you do it all the time and nothing more than a HONK, oops sorry, has happened. But it will.

About the hands free phones, yes and YES this.
Which is why I’ll never set my phone up for hands free use in the car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Undertoad 08-09-2020 08:37 AM

Undertoad 08-10-2020 03:17 PM

http://cellar.org/img/wrecked-tesla.jpg

Reddit post: "My daughter and I walked away"

Quote:

Last Friday we were driving home from Florida. An 18 wheeler pulled in front of us from a turn lane, auto pilot picked it up and tried to stop. I grabbed the wheel and tried to avoid the 18 wheeler. the rear guard rail on the 18 wheeler caught the front of the car and cut the entire driver side off the only way I can explain it is it looked like it was done with a light saber

My daughter was asleep in the rear seat she got six stitches in her knee

I broke my arm severely had a couple surgeries pins and plates but ultimately walked away from something we shouldn’t have

We were not cut out of the car and charge the life we’re not used [toad's note: he is doing voice recog with his phone, it's actually "jaws of life were not used"]

Did you know that Tesla will do a contactless delivery to the hospital.

Tesla delivered a 2020 Y to the hospital for me.

BigV 08-10-2020 06:09 PM

how do you engage the autopilot while underway and do you have to take one hand off your cheese to do it?

Undertoad 08-10-2020 07:31 PM

Pull down twice on the right stalk. It's one pull-down for adaptive cruise control, so it's kinda like, one pull for the car to take the accelerator, two for it to take the wheel as well.

Further, grabbing the wheel and actually steering will disengage autopilot, and tapping the brake disengages both autopilot and cruise.