The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Adventures in Selling Baked Goods (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=29291)

Clodfobble 09-23-2013 06:29 PM

Or you could just give away whatever you have left in the last five minutes as free samples (with the understanding, of course, that this would only work one or two times, you wouldn't want customers holding out for free ones at the end.)

Chocolatl 09-23-2013 06:46 PM

Good ideas!

I like the goal idea. I'm thinking I may drop a flavor and bring it down to six to streamline production a bit. I might also lower the prices the last 30 minutes of the market day the first time out so I'm at least getting something for them and it's not a loss. I think after the first day I'll have a much better idea, so I'm okay with taking a loss the first time.

Chocolatl 10-12-2013 07:25 PM

Tomorrow's the big day -- my first market day! Wish me luck! And thanks again everyone for the kind words and support. :)

glatt 10-12-2013 07:27 PM

Exciting! I wish you the best of luck.

BigV 10-14-2013 10:27 AM

Late to the most recent posts here. But now we wanna know..... Well? How'd it go?

Chocolatl 10-14-2013 10:58 AM

Adventures in Selling Baked Goods

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 45671

It went really well. Here's a hastily taken image of me at the booth.

It was utter chaos when we first got there in the morning. Though the market starts at 10, set up begins at 7:30. Considering we had very little to bring in and set up, we got there at 9:05. My spot had almost been given away because I was "late," so after a bit of stress we got set up in our nice shady spot.

Kitsune was on baby wrangling duty for the day after I was set up, and thankfully Beans was very cooperative! They both fared very well for their longest ever day without mom. :) They went to the aquarium and back home before coming back to pick me up at 3.

I went with a goal in mind, and took 36 containers to sell. If I sold 20, I'd break even for the day. I sold 26 at full price, and another 7 at a discount in the last hour of the day, so I came out a tiny bit ahead. Hooray! I ran out of samples around 12:30, so I'll definitely be taking more next time. I also sold out of two flavors by around noon, so I'll be taking more of those next week.

glatt 10-14-2013 11:04 AM

Your booth looks great! I'd stop by for sure!

Lamplighter 10-14-2013 11:32 AM

I'm very happy for your success on your first day :biggrin:

Clodfobble 10-14-2013 12:27 PM

You should think about letting Beans stay for as long as she can handle it. That's a customer draw if I ever saw one. Congratulations on your profit!

BigV 10-14-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 880188)
You should think about letting Beans stay for as long as she can handle it. That's a customer draw if I ever saw one. Congratulations on your profit!

I second all of this post!

You could make another label for the tip jar that says "College fund".

Chocolatl 10-14-2013 12:54 PM

Though having Beans around would be great for marketing, the goal is partly to allow me some time away! For 400+ days, she has been my constant companion almost every waking hour, so this is a chance for me to do something just for me. It's essentially a hobby that pays for itself.

That said, she and Kits did come to visit midday, after their aquarium trip, so that I could nurse her before they went home. She enjoyed it for a bit then got anxious to explore. Crawling on asphalt doesn't work too well, though. Once it cools down a bit and she can walk or at least stand on her own, they'll probably hang out with me a bit longer.

BigV 10-14-2013 02:32 PM

well, that is a completely different situation.

Big Sarge 10-14-2013 03:25 PM

I understand what your saying about Beans, but I'd buy a dozen if that cutie was there. Good luck!

orthodoc 10-14-2013 05:20 PM

Your booth looks great, Choco! Having done so well your very first week, I think you'll see a steep upswing in demand as word gets around. I'm so happy for you!

monster 10-14-2013 07:20 PM

Love the Canopy :) Well done!