The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's making you happy today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14055)

Shawnee123 10-17-2010 11:08 PM

What a great picture! I think Spencer was pulling our leg.

jimhelm 10-17-2010 11:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I couldn't tell you the last time I had such a great time. We ran ...literally ran... from ride to ride in that last 2 hours. SOOOOO happy that I'm in good enough shape to keep up with them now. My shins hurt, and I'm friggin tired... but last year this time... nope.

PLUS! I wasn't too fat to fit on the cool rides like I used to be. I know that's fucking sad that I am happy about that... but... goddamn.

I intend to make an October Hershey Park trip an annual event with my kids. This was BY FAR the best amusement park experience of my life.

here's a picture taken at appx 2:30 pm. This is the Super Duper Looper line. Spencer wanted to try the last car ....this was the 3rd of 5 consecutive trips we took on this ride. (this was THE RIDE when I was a kid)

classicman 10-18-2010 07:58 AM

Looks like a great day. You should be happy and proud that you can now do all this.

footfootfoot 10-18-2010 08:33 AM

Fantastic Dood!

Lamplighter 10-18-2010 10:07 AM

Here in the US, 1/4th lb cubes of butter are wrapped in waxed paper.
For 60+ years I have fought these wrappers every time I opened one.
While doing so I've always wondered why professional cooks would put up with such an awkward wrapping.

The wrapper is folded around the butter in such a way that it almost always tears, leaving pieces stuck to the cube.
In my household, I get irritated when family members don't even bother to remove the paper.
Instead they just dig it out of the wrapper as needed leaving the mess for someone else to fix.

But, it's the small things that make you happy...
This morning I discovered how to remove the paper quickly and easily - without touching the butter - and without tearing the paper !!!
Maybe I'll publish a "How to" article in our local paper and tape it to the fridge.

Nirvana 10-18-2010 10:19 AM

That's great LJ! And Lamplighter do tell! ;)

footfootfoot 10-18-2010 10:56 AM

Lamplighter, professional cooks buy their butter in bulk. 2 pounds would be a small quantity, at one place I worked we got butter in 25 pound boxes and scooped it out as needed.

We order butter in two pound rolls from our co-op. Check out your local farms and see if they will sell you larger packages. We usually buy 20 or so pounds and freeze it.

Pete Zicato 10-18-2010 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 688601)
*chuckles*
Ha ha Ok, no. But seriously. What was your thesis about?

It was about 28,700 words (or so). She said that already. :D

Griff 10-18-2010 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimhelm (Post 688857)
so, we rode every good ride at least twice. and we realized tht they take pictures of you on almost all of them..... we actually paid the $9 to get this one:

as you can see, Spencer became so bored that he nodded off on this ride (The Wildcat...wooden roller coaster) and Ippy was appalled at the state of her hair.... and I... well... you know ....

Who is that skinny bastard stalking your kids?

zippyt 10-18-2010 04:57 PM

Glad for ya Jim !!!
Lamp Lighter , Cum on Dude !!!
Ya cant tease us like that !!!!!

lookout123 10-21-2010 08:05 AM

We're still alive and kicking out here. Lil Lookout's meds are still messed up but he's hanging in there.

skysidhe 10-21-2010 08:26 AM

Good for you lookout and jim.

Cloud 10-21-2010 08:55 AM

FANTASTIC picture, Jim!

and . .lamplighter--you can't tease us like that! What's the butter secret?

Shawnee123 10-21-2010 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamplighter (Post 688901)
Here in the US, 1/4th lb cubes of butter are wrapped in waxed paper.
For 60+ years I have fought these wrappers every time I opened one.
While doing so I've always wondered why professional cooks would put up with such an awkward wrapping.

The wrapper is folded around the butter in such a way that it almost always tears, leaving pieces stuck to the cube.
In my household, I get irritated when family members don't even bother to remove the paper.
Instead they just dig it out of the wrapper as needed leaving the mess for someone else to fix.

But, it's the small things that make you happy...
This morning I discovered how to remove the paper quickly and easily - without touching the butter - and without tearing the paper !!!
Maybe I'll publish a "How to" article in our local paper and tape it to the fridge.

I LOVE unpeeling the wax paper from butter. You just unfold it. It ain't that hard to open it, take what you need, then you can fold it right back up into a nice square. Or dump it into the butter dish thingy. Must be my OCD.

TheMercenary 10-21-2010 09:25 AM

Congrats to DanaC. That must be a huge load off your schedule of "things to do". Well done.