The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Congress has lost its mind... (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=5891)

Clodfobble 11-08-2009 10:38 AM

I thought rich people earned every cent of it and should never be ashamed of their wealth in any way, Merc? Doesn't that apply to Congressmen too?

TheMercenary 11-08-2009 10:42 AM

I knew most of them were rich, just not that rich. Funny how many laws they make don't effect them.

Clodfobble 11-08-2009 09:02 PM

I thought you were pissed that they kept making laws that only affected the richest people's income?

classicman 11-09-2009 10:16 AM

But Clod its been clearly demonstrated that congresspeople don't pay taxes anyway.

TheMercenary 11-09-2009 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 606805)
I thought you were pissed that they kept making laws that only affected the richest people's income?

No, not at all. I am against progressive taxation of any kind but that is all we have at the moment for the federal government.

TheMercenary 11-16-2009 12:12 PM

Ex-Louisiana Democratic Congressman Sentenced to 13 Years

Quote:

WASHINGTON — Former Representative William J. Jefferson, a New Orleans Democrat whose political career once seemed to hold high promise, was sentenced Friday to 13 years in prison for using his office to try to enrich himself and his relatives.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/14/us...fferson&st=cse

TheMercenary 11-29-2009 11:55 AM

Damm. Look at all those jobs created!

http://www.stimuluswatch.org/2.0/

classicman 11-29-2009 06:38 PM

I just picked a couple to laugh at
Rational design of innovative catalytic technologies for biomass derivative utilization
Cost $17,500,000 Location Newark DE Jobs created 4

Cops Hiring Recovery Program (CHRP)
Cost $3,543,888 Location Wilmington DE Jobs created 0

At least Biden got some money into his home state

classicman 11-29-2009 06:44 PM

I also find it rather interesting that if you search by "Most expensive", of those costing over a BILLION not one has a positive rating. ?????

TheMercenary 11-29-2009 06:55 PM

Click on the details and see how many have not been started. It really is pretty remarkable that the government can't or will not move the money any faster. In fact it is fast becoming a joke.

Urbane Guerrilla 12-01-2009 10:25 PM

I think they are being cagey with the money to avoid an inflationary effect. Might be the smartest thing they do, given the ease with which fiat-money can inflate.

Even hard specie can inflate like a sonuvagun; look at sixteenth-century Spain and the flood of Americas gold that poured into it. Prices got bid up so high that it became more economical to do anything at all anywhere else but Spain. Gold flowed into Spain and then flowed right back out as the rest of Europe found profit in servicing Spain. Lacking internal investment or development, when the bubble collapsed, Spain devolved into a backwater.

TheMercenary 12-07-2009 12:17 PM

And no one seems to think this is out of line?

Quote:

Baucus Nominated Girlfriend for U.S. Attorney
WASHINGTON - Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus defended recommending his girlfriend for appointment as Montana's U.S. attorney, saying Saturday that his one-time staff member and the former state prosecutor is "highly qualified" but eventually withdrew her nomination.

Baucus said that he began dating former state office director Melodee Hanes after they were both separated from their spouses. The Montana Democrat said they did not have an affair, but began dating while she worked for him.

Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele called Saturday for a Senate Ethics Committee investigation of Baucus' actions. Steele said the panel should determine "why Senator Baucus put his personal needs above those of the people of Montana."
http://www.billingsgazette.com/news/...cc4c002e0.html

TheMercenary 12-07-2009 12:19 PM

And the beat goes on...

Rules for Congress Curb but Don’t End Junkets

Quote:

WASHINGTON — Representative F. James Sensenbrenner Jr., a Wisconsin Republican, toured a prince’s vineyard and castle in Liechtenstein and spent an afternoon at a ski resort in the Alps — all at the expense of a group of European companies.

Representative Danny K. Davis, an Illinois Democrat, got the dignitary treatment when a big donor flew him to Inner Mongolia to lobby for a new medical supplies factory in rural China.

And Representative Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, a Florida Republican, on another privately sponsored trip, stayed at the historic King David Hotel in Jerusalem and attended a gala party near the Western Wall as part of a weeklong conference that lobbyists and executives paid as much as $18,500 to attend.

Despite changes intended to curb Congressional junkets, some lawmakers and even their families continue to take trips hosted by private groups and companies that revel in their access to Washington power brokers.

An examination by The New York Times of 1,150 trips shows that some of them bent or broke rules adopted in 2007 to limit corporate influence in Washington. Others exploited glaring loopholes in the guidelines, enacted with much fanfare after scandals involving the disgraced lobbyist Jack Abramoff.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/07/us...s/07trips.html

CHECK out this Graphic!

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2.../us/TRIPS.html

glatt 12-07-2009 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 615658)
And no one seems to think this is out of line?

Sure it's out of line, but it's what I would expect from a pig like Steele. He's just throwing mud and hoping it will stick.

Nothing wrong with recommending a friend or even a lover for a job they are qualified for. The ultimate decision to hire wouldn't have been his, and he wouldn't have been supervising her. I've recommended friends for jobs. Wouldn't you?

lookout123 12-07-2009 12:32 PM

So long he wasn't the "decider" then I see no problem in recommending qualified people for a job. Most high level jobs are filled through personal aquaintances and their networks IMO.

TheMercenary 12-07-2009 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 615665)
Sure it's out of line, but it's what I would expect from a pig like Steele. He's just throwing mud and hoping it will stick.

Nothing wrong with recommending a friend or even a lover for a job they are qualified for. The ultimate decision to hire wouldn't have been his, and he wouldn't have been supervising her. I've recommended friends for jobs. Wouldn't you?

Are there no standards for getting people jobs that you are romantically involved with? I do believe there are such rules in government. Anyone who was in the running might be able to file a lawsuit to say there was significant bias in the hiring. It just opens up a number of possibilities for putting the process under a microscope. This is much different than "recommending" a friend for a job.

It just seems to have an appearance of impropriety and that is not a good thing when talking about elected officials getting government jobs for people they are romantically involved with.

glatt 12-07-2009 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 615669)
appearance of impropriety

Based on my reading of your article, this is exactly the opposite of an impropriety. Did you read the article? She was working in his office for him. He fell in love with her. Because he wanted to avoid the appearance of impropriety in his office, they thought it would be best if she didn't work for him any more. So he recommended her for another job for which she was qualified. The US Attorney job would have taken her back to the state where she had formerly been a highly regarded state prosecutor. The same type of work she had done so well before, but in a different court system.

It all wound up being moot though, because she found an even better job without his help.

The thing this demonstrates is that the Republicans here are just throwing mud and hoping some will stick. There is nothing to investigate. The facts are all known, and they make Baucus look pretty good and Steele look like a pig.

TheMercenary 12-07-2009 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 615676)
Based on my reading of your article, this is exactly the opposite of an impropriety. Did you read the article? She was working in his office for him. He fell in love with her. Because he wanted to avoid the appearance of impropriety in his office, they thought it would be best if she didn't work for him any more. So he recommended her for another job for which she was qualified. The US Attorney job would have taken her back to the state where she had formerly been a highly regarded state prosecutor. The same type of work she had done so well before, but in a different court system.

It all wound up being moot though, because she found an even better job without his help.

The thing this demonstrates is that the Republicans here are just throwing mud and hoping some will stick. There is nothing to investigate. The facts are all known, and they make Baucus look pretty good and Steele look like a pig.

I guess I read a few of the articles and they ran together. I did not read that, "Because he wanted to avoid the appearance of impropriety in his office, they thought it would be best if she didn't work for him any more." But you know that when someone with his power calls up the other guy and says, "hey I have a great person I think you should consider for a job", it appears that favors are being done and preferential treatment is being given for back door deals. If I was one of the other 2 people being considered for the job I would make a huge deal out of it.

glatt 12-07-2009 01:36 PM

Well, the "other guy" here is the POTUS, so the power of a senator isn't really that impressive.

If you were one of the other 2 guys being recommended by the Senator to the POTUS, would you really make a stink about it? Seriously? You have a Senator going to bat for you with the POTUS, and you are going to complain? Once your name starts circulating at that level, you would be foolish to rock the boat.

My comment of "Because he wanted to avoid the appearance of impropriety in his office, they thought it would be best if she didn't work for him any more." came from this in the article article you linked.
Quote:

In a statement issued by his office Saturday, Baucus said that "as we grew closer and things progressed, we knew it was time to begin the process of Mel transitioning out of my Senate office."

TheMercenary 12-07-2009 01:45 PM

Well it still smells fishy. And that statement was issued him, I would say something like that too if people started to ask questions. I think they call it cover your ass. I suspect he is being protected.

And here is another example of something similar that happened not to long ago.

Quote:

Here's a poser: Suppose a public official is accused of recommending his girlfriend for a promotion, though he was the one who first flagged the potential conflict of interest and officials had refused to let him recuse himself from decisions about the woman. Should he lose his job?
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...644974798.html

TheMercenary 12-09-2009 09:37 PM

Demoncratic Government Forclosure Repayment Help a complete failure. How much did that cost us?

TheMercenary 12-14-2009 04:15 PM

Quote:

WASHINGTON — Drugmaker Merck's political action committee donated more than $572,000 to federal candidates in the 2008 election and racked up $4.6 million in expenses to lobby Congress and the executive branch last year, federal records show.

What federal records don't show is that Merck also spent millions on payments to the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America and several others that are lobbying intensely on a massive bill to revamp the nation's health care system. In all, Merck spent $6.8 million in 2008 to help underwrite the political activity of eight associations and trade groups, according to the company's website.
Quote:

To date, 50 companies have voluntarily agreed to disclose payments to trade groups, and 24 have started doing so on the Internet, said Maureen O'Brien, the center's research director.

They include health-insurance firm Aetna, which reported $190,000 in political-related payments last year to America's Health Insurance Plans, the insurance industry's trade group, and Bristol-Myers Squibb, which reported $128,000 in such dues to the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America.

The drugmakers' trade group has backed the Democratic efforts to revamp the nation's health care system and has successfully lobbied the Senate and House to give brand-name drug companies 12 years of exclusive rights to sell pricey biotech drugs before they face competition from cheaper generic versions. Ken Johnson, senior vice president for the trade group, would not say whether it has imposed higher dues on drug companies in 2009 to fund this year's lobbying battle on health care, but said "activity has been ratcheted up."

The group has pumped nearly $19.9 million into lobbying during the first nine months of 2009, up from $14.1 million during the same period last year, federal records show.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washing...ompanies_N.htm

classicman 12-14-2009 06:46 PM

What are you saying? Big business is buying political clout? Shock!

TheMercenary 12-14-2009 06:49 PM

No, just that anyone who thinks this Congress is looking out for them or the little guy has been fooled.

Insurance companies among others are going to make billions off this deal.

classicman 12-14-2009 06:57 PM

Of course they are, Merc. I don't think anyone here is under that assumption. The typical dwellar is much smarter than the average bear, ya know.

classicman 12-14-2009 07:06 PM

Quote:

WASHINGTON – The Democratic-controlled Senate on Saturday cleared away a Republican filibuster of a huge end-of-year spending bill that rewards most federal agencies with generous budget boosts.

The $1.1 trillion measure combines much of the year's unfinished budget work — only a $626 billion Pentagon spending measure would remain — into a 1,000-plus-page spending bill that would give the Education Department, the State Department, the Department of Health and Human Services and others increases far exceeding inflation.

The 60-34 vote met the minimum threshold to end the GOP filibuster. A final vote was set for Sunday afternoon to send the measure to President Barack Obama.

Democrats held the vote open for an hour to accommodate Independent Sen. Joe Lieberman of Connecticut, an Orthodox Jew who walked more than three miles to the Capitol to vote on the Sabbath after attending services at his synagogue in the city's Georgetown neighborhood. Lieberman wore a black wool overcoat and brilliant orange scarf — as well as a wide grin — as he provided the crucial 60th vote.

The measure combines $447 billion in operating budgets with about $650 billion in mandatory payments for federal benefit programs such as Medicare and Medicaid. It wraps together six individual spending bills and also contains more than 5,000 back-home projects sought by lawmakers in both parties.

The measure provides spending increases averaging about 10 percent to programs under immediate control of Congress, blending increases for veterans' programs, NASA and the FBI with a pay raise for federal workers and help for car dealers.

It bundles six of the 12 annual spending bills, capping a dysfunctional appropriations process for budget year that began Oct. 1, dysfunctional appropriations process in which House leaders blocked Republicans from debating key issues and Senate Republicans dragged out debates.
More here

TheMercenary 12-14-2009 07:41 PM

This is what else it paid for.

Quote:

Consolidated Spending Bill – $9,500 per U.S. Family
Posted by Jim Harper, December 10, 2009 at 9:34 am

The House plans to put all but one of the spending bills that haven’t been completed into one and pass it, perhaps as early as today. The damage is about $9,500 in spending per U.S. family.

The Trasnportation/HUD spending bill will be renamed the “Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2010″ and all but one of the remaining bills will be folded into it. The defense spending bill will be treated separately.

We’ll update the cost figures for the transportation/consolidated bill soon, but to get you an idea, here are the bills going into it:

H.R. 2847, The Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2010 – $570 per U.S. family
H.R. 3170, The Financial Services and General Government Appropriations Act, 2010 – $370 per U.S. family
H.R. 3293, The Departments of Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2010 – $6,160 per U.S. family
H.R. 3082, The Military Construction and Veterans Affairs Appropriations Act, 2010 – $1,020 per U.S. family
H.R. 3081, The Department of State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs Appropriations Act, 2010 – $380 per U.S. family
H.R. 3288, The Transportation, Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2010 – $1,070 per U.S. family
http://www.washingtonwatch.com/blog/...er-u-s-family/

TheMercenary 12-14-2009 07:52 PM

Quote:

Billions of stimulus dollars had been spent or allocated in Colorado by the end of the third quarter, but The Denver Post reports [1] that the majority of that money had gone to the wealthiest counties. Seven out of 10 counties with the highest unemployment rates in Colorado rank in the bottom half of per-capita stimulus spending, according to the Post. Part of the problem, one small-town administrator says, is that poorer areas can’t afford to get projects “shovel ready” for federal funds. But stimulus administrators point out that merely taking a per-capita look is insufficient because some areas – like Boulder, where the University of Colorado is located – received more funds because of large research grants.

From the smallest of town councils to entire state governments, politicians have been using their stance on the stimulus package as a way to win political favor, reports msnbc.com [2], and it’s causing some serious headaches. Reporter Mike Stuckey looks at North Platte, Neb., where a former housing authority director got canned for supporting the stimulus, despite the housing authority’s rejection of the funds, and Worland, Wyo., where school district trustees turned down stimulus money, despite having low-ranking elementary and high schools.

And finally, The New York Times reports [3] that it’s déjà vu all over again with the health care reform battle, as the political lines being drawn replicate those from the fight to pass the stimulus bill last winter. A band of centrist lawmakers, including Sens. Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins, R-Maine, Ben Nelson, D-Neb., and Joseph Lieberman, I-Conn., wielded their considerable power to scale back the stimulus bill, and they’re doing it again on health care reform.
http://www.propublica.org/ion/stimul...-bit-more-1214

TheMercenary 12-14-2009 08:09 PM

Pork report. See where your tax dollars went:

http://mccain.senate.gov/public/inde...a-73a0841cefe0

Redux 12-14-2009 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 617498)
This is what else it paid for.

Consolidated Spending Bill – $9,500 per U.S. Family

http://www.washingtonwatch.com/blog/...er-u-s-family/

Washingotonwatch.com....a libertarian mouthpiece....now there is an unbiased source.

:rotflol:

At least it notes on its own site that it is not really credible:
The figures on WashingtonWatch.com reveal the relative size and significance of proposals, but they are not perfect predictions and they do not tell you everything you should know. Please keep in mind that:

* WashingtonWatch.com does not report the many benefits that may be provided by government regulation and spending, made possible by taxation. Proposals that “cost” the average American may benefit you, your community, your loved ones, or your employer.

* The dollar amounts on WashingtonWatch.com do not reflect the “incidence” of taxes, spending, or regulation...

* .....Adding up all the proposals tracked by WashingtonWatch.com would produce a number that is essentially meaningless.

In summary, the information on WashingtonWatch.com is not the last word on government spending, taxation, and regulation....
$9,500 per family? Uh.....FAILED....essentially meaningless.

The tin foil hat brigade (and its mercenaries) at work!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 617507)
Pork report. See where your tax dollars went:

The 2005 record is not in jeopardy......13,997 projects for a total of $27.3 billion!

TheMercenary 12-15-2009 01:58 AM

Senate sends $1.1T pork-laden bill to Obama

Quote:

Taxpayer watchdog groups say the bills are loaded with thousands of earmarks, the pork-barrel spending projects lawmakers include to direct money to pet projects.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...bill-to-obama/

http://www.hedweb.com/animimag/pig.jpg

“We’re gonna ban all earmarks” President Obama

http://bellalu0.wordpress.com/2009/1...spending-bill/

TheMercenary 12-15-2009 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redux (Post 617562)
The 2005 record is not in jeopardy......13,997 projects for a total of $27.3 billion!

A closer look at 100 projects funded by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, nothing to do with 2005.

Where are all the millions of jobs promised by Obama, Reid, and Pelosi funded by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act? It was a total failure in that respect. If it wasn't why are they talking about another stimulus bill aimed specifically at jobs? Why the meeting at the White House to specifically address jobs?

Feb 2009:

"But it does mark the beginning of the end - the beginning of what we need to do to create jobs for Americans scrambling in the wake of layoffs; to provide relief for families worried they won't be able to pay next month's bills; and to set our economy on a firmer foundation.", President Obama.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/02/17/news...cess/index.htm

"The goal at the heart of this plan is to create jobs. Not just any jobs, but jobs doing the work America needs done: repairing our infrastructure, modernizing our schools and hospitals, and promoting the clean, alternative energy sources that will help us finally declare independence from foreign oil," President Obama said Friday morning.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/02/13/news...ulus/index.htm

Reid Feb 2009:

“the main direction is tax cuts, people are really needful of money. About 58% of it is job creating.”

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/op...-39287787.html

Pelosi Interview Feb 2009:

Quote:

COURIC: Is there anything in the Senate version that you think shouldn't be in the package?
PELOSI: I would like to have seen more of an emphasis on job creation. I don't think there's any doubt that the House bill created more jobs. But this bill will create 3.5 million jobs and three weeks ago we weren't even on this path. I always say to my members, respect it for what it does, rather than judge it for what it does not do, because this does an enormous amount. And in order for it to instill the confidence into the American people, I think we have to believe in what we are doing and we believe in what we are doing.
http://www.mediaresearch.org/cyberal...yb20090212.asp

3.5 million jobs? really?

Where are they?

Redux 12-15-2009 07:54 AM

Both the CBO and GAO studies showed between 650,000 and 1,500,000 million jobs created or saved in the first nine months. Given that a large part of the recovery money has yet to be obligated (by intent), the projections for the anticipated life of the program (18 months to 2 years) exceed 2.5 million.

Its not a perfect program and there is abuse and faulty record keeping, but nearly all economists have agreed the program has helped the economy from falling off the cliff. They only differ on how great the impact has been.

Of course, we know you only accept CBO figures when it supports your agenda and disparage it when it doesnt.....and you have called the program a failure even before it has reached its halfway point.

Your economic plan was so much better....let everything fail and unemployment explode, the strong will survive, and the economy will correct itself.

For one who cares about the little people and the unemployed, that sounds, not only heartless, but irresponsible as well.

Or mayvbe WashingtonWatch, your reliable source on budget impacts, has the answers.

:biglaugha

TheMercenary 12-15-2009 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redux (Post 617638)
Both the CBO and GAO studies showed between 650,000 and 1,500,000 million jobs created or saved in the first nine months. Given that a large part of the recovery money has yet to be obligated (by intent), the projections for the anticipated life of the program (18 months to 2 years) exceed 2.5 million.

Its not a perfect program and there is abuse and faulty record keeping, but nearly all economists have agreed the program has helped the economy from falling off the cliff.

Which is why the numbers are pure fantasy and propaganda by the White House. They are filled with fraud, waste, and abuse. Including pet projects and pure pork for Demoncratic Senators who jumped on the money train. Kabuke Theather.

Quote:

Of course, we know you only accept CBO figures when it supports your agenda and disparage it when it doesnt.....and you have called the program a failure even before it has reached its halfway point.
Concerning job creation it has been a complete failure. That is what I am addressing.:eyebrow: Where are the jobs they promised us.

Quote:

Your economic plan was so much better....let everything fail and unemployment explode, the strong will survive, and the economy will correct itself.
Which plan was that? :lol:

Quote:

For one who cares about the little people and the unemployed, that sounds, not only heartless, but irresponsible as well.
Those are your words not mine. :rolleyes:

Redux 12-15-2009 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 617670)
Which is why the numbers are pure fantasy and propaganda by the White House. They are filled with fraud, waste, and abuse. Including pet projects and pure pork for Demoncratic Senators who jumped on the money train. Kabuke Theather.

Concerning job creation it has been a complete failure. That is what I am addressing.:eyebrow: Where are the jobs they promised us.

Those are your words not mine. :rolleyes:

Despite reports with problems with the data that would suggest no more than 10% error:

Fact check:
Quote:

According to the Congressional Budget Office, the actual number may be more than twice what Recovery.gov says, and as much as 50 percent more than what Obama has been saying. The nonpartisan agency found that:
CBO, Nov. 30: [i]n the third quarter of calendar year 2009, an additional 600,000 to 1.6 million people were employed in the United States, and real (inflation-adjusted) gross domestic product was 1.2 percent to 3.2 percent higher, than would have been the case in the absence of ARRA.
That’s a pretty broad spread, but CBO says the range includes the views of most economists and reflects the inherent uncertainty of such estimates. The agency, unlike Recovery.gov, didn’t depend just on reports filed by recipients of stimulus funds to make its calculations, because the reports don’t provide a complete picture of the law’s impact on jobs. For one thing, the reports measure only jobs created or saved by employers who receive stimulus money directly or their immediate subcontractors, but not lower-level contractors. In addition, the fact that grant recipients and their workers have money in their pockets means they’ll spend some of it on products and services, creating more jobs. And the reports, CBO notes, only cover some of ARRA’s spending; the effects of tax cuts, transfers to individuals (such as unemployment payments) and other elements of the stimulus package aren’t measured on Recovery.gov....

http://www.factcheck.org/2009/12/sti...-re-revisited/
Or one only need to read about the numerous Republican governors and members of Congress who opposed the recovery act but waived the checks at events back home while claiming they (not the stimulus checks) created jobs.
Senate majority leader McConnell...took credit for the construction site at Blue Grass Army Depot in Madison County, Kentucky -- a project that was funded in large part by the Recovery Act.

House majority whip Cantor ...who has repeatedly claimed that the stimulus is "failing" to create jobs....appeared at a job fair in Midlothian, VA, to demonstrate how he is working on "long-term solutions that will put...Virginia workers back on the path to financial stability." But scores of jobs advertised at the jobs fair were created by the stimulus, and Chesterfield County, where the fair was being held, will receive more than $38 million in stimulus funding over the next two years.

Gov. Bobby Jindal said if he was still a member of Congress he would've voted against the stimulus, calling it the "stimulus that has not stimulated." Yet the very next day, he appeared with constituents in Louisiana to present a jumbo-sized check of federal grant money authorized under the Recovery Act to residents of Vernon Parish. He later toured the state in a "Louisiana Working" tour, handing out millions of dollars of stimulus money while simultaneously attacking "Washington Spending."
The list is endless.

The massive fantasy and widespread fraud exists only in your non-partisan (:eek:) mind and on "reliable, objective, non-partisan" (double :eek:) or more appropriately called "tin foil hatter" sites like WashigtonWatch.

classicman 12-15-2009 04:52 PM

Just asking here - you two go ahead and sling mud at each other all you want.... Who owns/runs factcheck?

Oh and this jobs created/saved is a bunch of crap - there is no way to eally account for jobs "saved".

ZenGum 12-15-2009 05:47 PM

How many Americans still have jobs? They've all been saved. Ummmmmm.

Redux 12-15-2009 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 617804)
Just asking here - you two go ahead and sling mud at each other all you want.... Who owns/runs factcheck?

Oh and this jobs created/saved is a bunch of crap - there is no way to eally account for jobs "saved".

Right. :headshake

Fact Check in a project of the Annenburg Foundation, but the facts are from the CBO report.

In fact, there is a fairly easy way to project jobs saved....particularly in the public sector. It results from budgets not being cut as a result of a temporary infusion of federal money to replace the temporary lost tax revenue.

So you think the recovery program has been a failure, like Merc?

Or will you straddle the fence, like you always do?

TheMercenary 12-15-2009 06:32 PM

:lol:

Chinks in the armor exposed.

Fact. Obama, Pelosi, and Reid sold the "recovery" wad shot as a program that would create "millions" of jobs. Bull shit. More smoke and mirrors to get votes and support for pork spending.

The American public is being sold a pile of shit, lies, and falsehoods by the Demoncratically controlled Congress in an effort to obtain power.

Nothing new here.

classicman 12-16-2009 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redux (Post 617832)
Fact Check in a project of the Annenburg Foundation, but the facts are from the CBO report.

IIRC they are a left leaning organization. However, getting the info from those who are trying to convince us that they made the right decision is still more than difficult. Large grain of salt. I remember very clearly when the promises of "jobs created" became "created or saved" It was a brilliant redesignation.
Quote:

temporary infusion of federal money to replace the temporary lost tax revenue.
and when that money is gone? Then what?
Quote:

So you think the recovery program has been a failure, like Merc?
I dunno - Merc can certainly speak for himself. For me, Its too early to tell. There is still a lot of money that hasn't been spent. It is still in the pipeline. There was a lot of waste and pork, but thats not uncommon.
So far though, I'm not really all that impressed. I have friends in different business sectors who got stimulus money and their input has confirmed my initial skepticism.

I heard today that "Stimulus II" is being drafted and some state Govt's are already looking into ways to spend the money. This should be fun.

Quote:

Or will you straddle the fence, like you always do?
You mean will I blindly follow one or the other? no thanks. I did that long enough. I severed those ties. I refuse to bury my head up the ass of either party, like some people. You, however, don't have that luxury since you are part of the Democratic party.

Redux 12-16-2009 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 618081)
IIRC they are a left leaning organization. However, getting the info from those who are trying to convince us that they made the right decision is still more than difficult. Large grain of salt. I remember very clearly when the promises of "jobs created" became "created or saved" It was a brilliant redesignation.

The data is not from Fact Check, but from the non-partrisan CBO...nice try.

I agree that Obama over-promised but that doesnt take away from the success of the program to-date. Most economists agree that the recovery funds have made a difference.

Quote:

and when that money is gone? Then what?
The intent has always been temporary...until the economy, including state and local tax bases, recover.

Quote:

I dunno - Merc can certainly speak for himself. For me, Its too early to tell. There is still a lot of money that hasn't been spent. It is still in the pipeline. There was a lot of waste and pork, but thats not uncommon.
So far though, I'm not really all that impressed. I have friends in different business sectors who got stimulus money and their input has confirmed my initial skepticism.
Sure the pork is highlighted and is wasteful...but dont confuse pork with earmarks. Most earmarks serve a vialble and useful public purpose....sending federal tax dollars back to local communities.

Quote:

You mean will I blindly follow one or the other? no thanks. I did that long enough. I severed those ties. I refuse to bury my head up the ass of either party, like some people. You, however, don't have that luxury since you are part of the Democratic party.
Your posts would suggest otherwise, but that is just my opinion and you certainly can disagree.

classicman 12-16-2009 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redux (Post 618111)
The data is not from Fact Check, but from the non-partrisan CBO...nice try.

Interpretation of the data .. . sigh

Quote:

I agree that Obama over-promised
<faints>
Quote:

. . .but that doesnt take away from the success of the program to-date. Most economists agree that the recovery funds have made a difference.
just not anywhere near the job creation that we were sold. So they changed that to created or saved. cough/bullshit/cough
"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss."
This one just has a different sales pitch.

Quote:

The intent has always been temporary...until the economy, including state and local tax bases, recover.
The tax bases that are dwindling, you mean? What about Stimulus II thats floating around?
Quote:

Your posts would suggest otherwise, but that is just my opinion and you certainly can disagree.
Well you know what they say about opinions . . .

Redux 12-16-2009 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 618129)
Interpretation of the data .. . sigh

<faints>

just not anywhere near the job creation that we were sold. So they changed that to created or saved. cough/bullshit/cough
"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss."
This one just has a different sales pitch.

The tax bases that are dwindling, you mean? What about Stimulus II thats floating around?

Well you know what they say about opinions . . .

Shove it up your ass.

classicman 12-16-2009 06:53 PM

no, they say everyone has one - you were close though. Don't get discouraged.

TheMercenary 12-16-2009 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redux (Post 618134)
Shove it up your ass.

:eek:

TheMercenary 12-19-2009 08:01 AM

Vacation Fun on the public dime.

Quote:

EDINBURGH -- The expenses racked up by U.S. lawmakers traveling here for a conference last month included one for the "control room."

Besides rooms for sleeping, the 12 members of the House of Representatives rented their hotel's fireplace-equipped presidential suite and two adjacent rooms. The hotel cleared out the beds and in their place set up a bar, a snack room and office space. The three extra rooms -- stocked with liquor, Coors beer, chips and salsa, sandwiches, Mrs. Fields cookies and York Peppermint Patties -- cost a total of about $1,500 a night. They were rented for five nights.

While in Scotland, the House members toured historic buildings. Some shopped for Scotch whisky and visited the hotel spa. They capped the trip with a dinner at one of the region's finest restaurants, paid for by the legislators, who got $118 daily stipends for meals and incidentals.

Eleven of the 12 legislators then left the five-day conference two days early.

The tour provides a glimpse of the mixture of business and pleasure involved in legislators' overseas trips, which are growing in number and mostly financed by the taxpayer. Lawmakers travel with military liaisons who carry luggage, help them through customs, escort them on sightseeing trips and stock their hotel rooms with food and liquor. Typically, spouses come along, flying free on jets operated by the Air Force. Legislative aides come too. On the ground, all travel in chauffeured vehicles.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1260...nDepthCarousel

Griff 12-19-2009 08:44 AM

Besides rooms for sleeping, the 12 members of the House of Representatives rented their hotel's fireplace-equipped presidential suite and two adjacent rooms. The hotel cleared out the beds and in their place set up a bar, a snack room and office space. The three extra rooms -- stocked with liquor, Coors beer, chips and salsa, sandwiches, Mrs. Fields cookies and York Peppermint Patties -- cost a total of about $1,500 a night. They were rented for five nights.

Our political masters have no class. We need to elect better scumbags.

TheMercenary 12-19-2009 10:19 AM

Quote:

The cost they reported for such travel abroad was $13 million in 2008, a 70% jump from 2005, according to a Wall Street Journal analysis of travel records. Lawmakers don't have to report the cost of domestic travel when the government pays. The $13 million didn't include the expense of flying on Air Force planes, which lawmakers don't have to disclose.

Over the 2005-08 period, the cost of legislators' privately funded travel, both domestic and overseas, fell 70%, to $2.9 million, according to LegiStorm.com, a Web site that tracks it.

Lawmakers must reveal only general information about the travel, such as countries visited. Several weeks after a trip, they report the overall cost, without a detailed breakdown. This account of congressional travel is based on trip itineraries provided by lawmakers, meeting schedules and what two Journal reporters saw. Mr. Tanner's office and other lawmakers confirmed many details of the account and didn't dispute the others.

The blending of business and pleasure on the trip to Scotland was typical, aides and lawmakers say. In August, two Republican senators, Richard Shelby of Alabama and John Cornyn of Texas, went to Europe with their wives and aides to meet with banking regulators and industry executives. Military officials picked up Mr. Shelby's luggage at his office. A separate government car drove him and his wife to the airport. "That is typically how the military handles departures on congressional delegations," said a spokesman for the senator.
The taxpayer should not be paying for their wives.

classicman 12-19-2009 10:55 AM

My parents traveled all over the world on business. The company paid for him and my father paid for her. I see nothing in that part thats unusual.

Quote:

Over the 2005-08 period, the cost fell 70%,
Well we didn't have much diplomacy then either. Now that we travel all over the world to kiss ass and make deals there is a lil travel expense.
<shrug>

richlevy 12-19-2009 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 617670)

Exactly.

richlevy 12-19-2009 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 619116)
The taxpayer should not be paying for their wives.

Yes, but if we didn't, the lobbyists would gain influence by buying them hookers.;)

TheMercenary 12-19-2009 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richlevy (Post 619139)
Exactly.

The Republickins are no better if they can't produce a plan, but they have pretty much been locked out of the process.

richlevy 12-19-2009 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 619141)
The Republickins are no better if they can't produce a plan, but they have pretty much been locked themselves out of the process.

Fixed it for ya.:right:

TheMercenary 12-19-2009 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richlevy (Post 619256)
Fixed it for ya.:right:

No you didn't. They have been pretty much shut out of the process. That is what happens when you win the majority. You control the process. Another reason why our system is screwed up. Republickins did the same thing when they had the majority to the Demoncrats. Both parties suck. And the Dems have done nothing but reinforce the notion that they are not one bit different than the Repbs, they just whore a little differently and serve a different group of business interests.

TheMercenary 12-19-2009 09:33 PM

Data Shows that the Stimulus Package Was a Waste of Money
December 19, 2009

Quote:

To put it kindly, the stimulus package that President Barack Obama, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi rushed through Congress at the beginning of his presidency has been a flop. It is not just that the $789 billion package has not had the effect the White House promised it would; it's that it may actually have been counterproductive, actually lengthening the recession by effectively taking money out of the private economy, where it could have been used to create jobs and for investment purposes. Instead it has been parceled out by the government, which has been unable to track where it has gone or what impact it has really had on job creation. And that has led to any number of fallacious statements by senior administration officials about jobs "created or saved."

There is really no way to assess the number of jobs "saved," which has been the principle rallying cry of the White House over the last few months. Moreover, as data released Friday by the Republicans on the House Committee on Ways and Means makes clear, payroll employment has declined in every state except North Dakota and in the District of Columbia in the nine months since the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act has been law. Likewise the national unemployment rate, which Obama promised would not exceed 8 percent if the stimulus became law, has reached a 25-year high of over 10 percent.

As the table below indicates, in no state has anything like the promised job creation occurred. In Alabama, for example, the White House estimated that the stimulus package would generate 52,000 jobs by the end of calendar 2010. Yet the government's own figures show the state has lost a net 30,700 jobs through the end of November 2009. In Illinois, which sent Barack Obama to Washington back in November 2004, the White House estimated a net increase of 148,000 jobs but the state has lost more than 150,000 thus far.

In California, the home state of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, the prediction was that 396,000 new jobs would be created by the end of next year. So far it has lost just over 340,000. In Nevada, where Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid is in the fight of his political life as far as his 2010 re-election bid is concerned, the estimates predicted 34,000 new jobs would be created. So far this year, since the stimulus has been enacted, it has lost more than 50,000.
http://www.usnews.com/blogs/peter-ro...-of-money.html

classicman 12-19-2009 10:03 PM

Why didn't you post the damn chart & let people look at it for themselves?
http://admin.usnews.com/dbimages/mas...ysandmeans.jpg

Initially I don't like what I'm seeing. But that chart doesn't say whether there were jobs created or not - just the net gain/loss overall. Heck it could have created 50,000 jobs at company X, but if they shut down a plan and let go of 75,000 other jobs . . . net is -25,000.

TheMercenary 12-19-2009 11:12 PM

Because I thought it would be a bit over the top so I posted the link and people can look at it that way.

classicman 12-20-2009 08:19 AM

Oh an I forgot its only December '09 not '10 so they still have a whole year. . . & stimulus III thats being floated.

TheMercenary 12-20-2009 09:37 AM

Worry sets in among those up for re-election.

Finley: Democrats worried about a backlash

and this says it all.
Quote:

Pelosi said she wouldn't change course on health care just because Americans are turning against the plan.
http://detnews.com/article/20091220/...out-a-backlash

xoxoxoBruce 12-20-2009 10:59 AM

They should be worried, most people are unhappy with it as it stands.
The whole idea had pluses and minuses, when taken as a whole worked out to a plus for Americans. But by the time the far right fear mongers, the fat cat lobbyists, and Religious Fundamentalists finished their mangling, they've removed enough pluses, to make the package look like a bad idea.

We can only hope with this bill as a base, it can be tweaked in the future, to be a good thing for America. But with a congress bought and paid for by special interests, and a body of voters without interest, I doubt it.:(