The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Cellar Meta (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Hall of Fame (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9064)

Flint 03-27-2007 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 324722)
Flint has a...quirky sense of humor, and most of his posts demonstrate this. They often draw attention away from his more intelligent and articulate remarks, like this one. I'm happy the clown mask slipped down, and I look forward to more wardrobe malfunctions such as this.

In our best efforts, we are nothing more than a clown. More often than not, attempts to be "serious" give me the distinct feeling of being a pompous ass. I guess I felt some "cover" posting this in the Unpopular Opinions thread. I get the feeling it belongs there. Is that me being cynical, or realistic?

Incidentally, in reference to the slipping clown mask; Joseph Campbell refers to a recurring theme in Native American mythology wherein the highest deity appears in the form of a clown, or comical trickster. There's a point in there I can't seem to articulate. About "truth" ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by LabRat (Post 324781)
I don't know where that was originally posted, but I am hanging it up on my lab bench.

Perfectly said IMHO. Bravo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 324787)
I agree. ... And well done Flint.

Thank you. I'm delighted to have made such an impression on Hotty McHot-Ass.

Does anyone besides myself feel as if they are fighting a life-long battle to be able to articulate thoughts acurately? I believe that message boards can be a useful place to sharpen your skills. There are many people on this site who have an impressive command of the language, the kind I strive for. I appreciate you all.

lumberjim 03-27-2007 02:37 PM

sometimes you have to rely on your readers to interpret.

cock

BigV 03-27-2007 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV
I agree. ... And well done Flint.

Thank you. I'm delighted to have made such an impression on Hotty McHot-Ass.

You're welcome, but the flattery is unnecessary. :blush:

Flint 03-27-2007 02:46 PM

Please send your donation today, to support QUACQ (pronounced "quack") Quirky Users Against Clever Quoting.

BigV 03-27-2007 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 326970)
Please send your donation today, to support QUACQ (pronounced "quack") Quirky Users Against Clever Quoting.

Really?! I got two words for you: recursion.

BigV 03-27-2007 02:54 PM

jinx makes another post missing the work-safe SCF label.
The topic in question has to do with the exhibit selection from a new anti-evolution museum.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx
I wonder if it has a pi=3 exhibit?

Very, very funny!

Spexxvet 03-27-2007 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 326936)
... I'm delighted to have made such an impression on Hotty McHot-Ass.

But what about Labrat?

Flint 03-27-2007 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 326961)
sometimes you have to rely on your readers to interpret.

and sometimes you have to rely on your face to scare little children.

lumberjim 03-27-2007 03:52 PM

ow. my feelings.

Flint 03-27-2007 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 327002)
ow. my feelings.

Ow! My balls!

Spexxvet 03-28-2007 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 327287)
Sorry, I'm the one that owns the pitch fork. So that will never happen.:blush:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 327332)
Not after it's removed from your premises without a warrant, and then introduced to your gluteus without a trial.

Niiiice.....

BigV 03-28-2007 06:13 PM

Ibram gets it. The rest of us should be taking notes.

Quote:

If the terrorists have you in such dire fear for your safety that they are changing your actions, making you give up rights, making you do things that you shouldn't, making you terrified...

They've won.

TheMercenary 03-28-2007 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
Not after it's removed from your premises without a warrant, and then introduced to your gluteus without a trial.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 327346)
I knew those liberals were going to pass pitch fork registration and seziure sooner or later. They did pass anti-pitch fork attachment legislation for my rifle once already, so I am really not surprised they would try to take them away eventually. Thank God I have more than one.

TheMercenary 03-28-2007 06:43 PM

Ibram gets it. The rest of us should be taking notes.
Quote:
If the terrorists have you in such dire fear for your safety that they are changing your actions, making you give up rights, making you do things that you shouldn't, making you terrified...

They've won.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 327582)
What part of 9/11 do you not understand? What part of terrorism do you not understand? Exactly how often have you traveled to parts of the world where your life is in danger because you are an American before 9/11? What do you do for a living that you feel soooo protected by the ills of people who really do want to kill you and your family and everything about you? It is people that think like you that got us into this mess in the first place and now that concrete steps are taken to change that and prevent future loss you want to dial back the clock. I got news for ya, it ain't happening. Well unless of course Hitlery Clit on is elected and then the Dems will certainly have all the control they desired, and all of the responsibility to keep you safe. Good luck on that last one. :rolleyes:

DanaC 03-28-2007 07:23 PM

Umm.....I may be wrong, but I think you just missed the point of the Hall of Fame.

SteveDallas 03-28-2007 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123
Yo, Dude! Everyone is texting everyone else that they are all going to jump off a cliff! You coming, or are you lame?

TheMercenary 03-28-2007 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 327670)
Umm.....I may be wrong, but I think you just missed the point of the Hall of Fame.

Hardly. :rattat:

Happy Monkey 03-29-2007 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 327670)

But he does seem to be making the point of a recent Flint thread...

DanaC 03-29-2007 11:02 AM

Yeah.....kinda....

Merc, I think you took a wrong turn, I assume you were looking for the Hall of Flame?

TheMercenary 03-29-2007 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 327936)
Yeah.....kinda....

Merc, I think you took a wrong turn, I assume you were looking for the Hall of Flame?

Looked like the posts quoted to me. Are you sure?

BigV 03-29-2007 11:07 AM

"The point" of the Hall of Fame:
Quote:

This thread is intended to preserve those posts in one place, a Hall of Fame for posts so funny, insightful, or incendiary that they deserve to be remembered. Posts so passionate, so right, or so, so wrong that you want to hang it on the wall like a trophy. Post the remarks and include a link to the post for a frame of reference in case the context matters. This is the place, our own Hall of Fame.
Regardless whether you're "missing" the point or "ignoring" it, you still aren't "getting it."

TheMercenary 03-29-2007 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 327942)
"The point" of the Hall of Fame:
Regardless whether you're "missing" the point or "ignoring" it, you still aren't "getting it."

Well thanks for pointing that out. That is real important to me.:eek:

Deuce 04-10-2007 03:49 PM

It's dark and cold, stormy and frightening. Then, in an instant, for only an instant, everything is illuminated.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beestie
Don't make an emotional commitment to someone who won't make one back. Its just not a good idea. Its like riding in the trunk.

Destruction follows immediately.

BigV 04-12-2007 10:37 AM

Sheldonrs can be hysterically funny (no offense intended), and he shows he's fluent in puns as well.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheldonrs
This is actually caused by a fairly common condition that forces the the Swan to regurgitate it's food into the fishes' mouths.

It's called Carp Pool Funnel Syndrome.

Brilliant! For those that require context, scroll upward one post to see the picture of a goose feeding the carp.

glatt 04-16-2007 03:41 PM

Clodfobble has a great one:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble
Oh for heaven's sake... Sundae Girl was asking if you (simian) get subtle jokes, not if you actually have wallets. Here, let's replay with commentary.

Quote:

Originally Posted by simian
This is all very interesting and somewhat entertaining, but what am I to do with this box of wallets I have?

Ah look, a joke.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna
Are the wallets trophies of your victims?

Another joke, implying that you actually killed the people whose wallets you have, rather than picking them up and keeping them as the thread has been discussing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by simian
Um, it says there that you get subtle jokes.......

Simian does not get Brianna's joke, and thus instead suspects that she did not get his.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl
The question is, do you?

Sundae Girl, who got both jokes, is now subtly pointing out to simian that he in fact is the one who does not get subtle jokes. "The question is, do you (get subtle jokes)?" I think the answer here is clear.

lumberjim 04-16-2007 10:57 PM

if it wasn't already here, glatt...i might put that wonderful display of quoting and commentary into the hall of fame thread.

skysidhe 05-24-2007 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 346587)
Yeah, but how many threads here really have a point?

At least this one gives people with itchy fingers and energy-saving brains somewhere to type while their bulb is warming up..... ;)

hehehehe funny:)

monster 05-24-2007 09:55 PM

But I'm really like that! (thanks :o )

skysidhe 05-24-2007 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 346618)
But I'm really like that! (thanks :o )

yeah funny! ;)

oh and you're welcome

BigV 05-29-2007 10:20 AM

richlevy's beautiful paean to our beautiful Constitution. :sustained, enthusiastic applause:
Quote:

Originally Posted by richlevy
The point is that UG, I, and this asshat on Fox, can coexist in our society. We can even give these guys guns and trust them, even when they hate the President (Clinton), and even when they think they love the President (GWB as a sort of Ike Turner). Because all of us have our eyes, not on the President and not on the Bible, but on the Constitution.

Every single fucking nation on this planet has a flag, some of which are so blood soaked that their mere presence is a cause for emotional pain. Flags can represent honor and glory, or they can be the shit rags of history. Just like everyone has a mother, including serial killers and the dregs of humanity, so every country has a flag.

The flag is the wrapper, the Constitution is the gift. It was written by a bunch of rich, educated, dare I say liberal, elite who seized a colony from one of the most powerful countries in the world. They could have kept it for themselves, but they very carefully and painstakingly put together a document that not only gave power back to the people who actually sacrificed to win it, but set up a balance of power designed to keep that government in check and working towards the general welfare.

A beautiful gift indeed, rich, as is your post. Thank you.

Flint 05-31-2007 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HLJ (Post 349112)
After a lot of thought I've come to the conclusion that:

TheMercenary is not an asshole;
lumberjim is not an asshole;
rkzenrage is not an asshole;
neither is xoxoxoBruce;
neither is Spexxvet;
neither is....

TheMercenary just wants to be happy and free from pain, just like I do.
rkzenrage just wants to be happy and free from pain, just like you do.
lumberjim ...

... and so on.

They are all good people, but it's not easy to see that through the unisensual medium of forum posts.

Flint 06-07-2007 09:10 PM

2nd HoF post, in a row, by HLJ ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by HLJ (Post 351983)
At least tell me that I'm the first person to use Cellion in this context (Cellion: a mischievous person posting in the Cellar).

Yes, I believe HLJ is the first person to use that term. There should be some kind of award for unique contributions to Cellar culture. Oh, this thread.

Spexxvet 06-08-2007 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna (Post 352161)
I JUST NOW figured it out! On May 14 i was put on a Drug Vacation by my doc! For five years I was on: Wellbutrin XL 450mg/day, prozac 4o mg/day, risperdal .5mg am and 1 mg pm, trazodone 50-200 mg at night prn. HA! I've been off all those fucking drugs for long enough for them to EFF ME UP NOW! Ha!

THAT is what is wrong!!@!@!!!!!!

oh, and btw, tw's posts are totally making sense now!

so. there's that.

Always finding the silver lining.

BigV 06-11-2007 10:57 AM

piercehawkeye45 displays displays wisdom beyond his years and first-person insight in this excellent summary

Quote:

Originally Posted by piercehawkeye45
What sums my argument up is, the good of putting guns on campuses will not outweigh the bad. The chances of a shooting on campus occurring is one in a million and then the chances of actually being able to stop it is another one in a million. The chances of some fucking prick getting a gun, getting drunk, and using it to show off or intimidate others is much higher. I'm not saying that will happen a lot but the chances are much greater than actually stopping a school shooting for various reasons. And, as I've said many times, campuses do a lot for protection so you do not need one if you use the resources they provide you.

Well done, sir.

Flint 06-18-2007 03:21 PM

Pictures of stupid people are comedy gold; just ask TheOnion.
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx (Post 356285)
... The idiots in the story were so offended by seeing this pole they had to sit down and take a family portrait? ...

Sundae 06-19-2007 02:04 PM

From Flint.
I don't think our senses of humour are usually aligned, but this made me laugh for hours after reading it.

Awkward in Nothingland
Quote:

No, Shawnee, the Jews (Larry David) killed God, it's the Catholics that eat him.

TheMercenary 06-21-2007 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw (Post 357594)
Welcome to the new Cellar where personal attacks are now acceptable and encouraged. As a result, many have left - some posting why they leave. Even tw has decided to be honest about the integrity of some posters only because personal attacks are now acceptable - actually encouraged - in the Cellar. Notice Aliantha new attitude. No reasons. Just a post based in hate. So much hate as to even agree with Bruce - just to promote animosity.

Nobody of merit. xoxoxoBruce had no reason to asssume that phrase was about him. It was even posted with no one in mind - just fishing to see who wants to fight over nothing. Bruce's guilt got the best of him. This is the new Cellar starting about when TheMercenary started posting.

skysidhe 06-24-2007 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 119632)
Katkeeper didn't maintain any such lies as far back as I can remember, and at one point said that she regretted it as it left me with no imagination. I disregarded her comment as blankly irrelevant and went about my automatonic day.

I didn't know you were funny :)

elSicomoro 06-28-2007 10:19 AM

Did anyone see tw's reply in the "Don't Know Who?" thread that was later deleted? Wow...I've never heard anything like that from him before! :)

Shawnee123 06-28-2007 10:21 AM

No, was it mushy and gooey?

wolf 06-28-2007 02:00 PM

Gooey, but not mushy.

elSicomoro 06-28-2007 02:26 PM

It showed me that tw isn't so stuffy after all.

bluecuracao 06-28-2007 07:40 PM

Damn, what did he say??

xoxoxoBruce 06-28-2007 11:36 PM

Move along, nothing to see here.

BigV 06-29-2007 04:07 PM

In this post Happy Monkey makes a fine clear definition of what a "right" is. This idea is something we all think about, and the word suffers from some very different interpretations. I really like how Happy Monkey explains it. Nicely done sir.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
How you can exercise your rights always depends on who's calling the shots. But what you consider to be a right depends on you, and is largely based on culture. Your definition is nice, but ultimately useless. If both "stop at the red light" and "don't murder" are infringements of your rights, then "rights" are too abstract to be meaningful. You can't make a case against a law as infringing, because that's a given.

On the other hand, if you view a right as "something that no law ought to prevent me from doing", you can actually use the word in a useful way, as in "You should not ban handguns because of the right to keep and bear arms."

Emphasis mine.

xoxoxoBruce 06-30-2007 01:57 AM

Except it's bullshit.
We hold these truths to be self evident, doesn't create anything, it recognizes them to always exist... for everyone.

Spexxvet 06-30-2007 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 360163)
Except it's bullshit.
We hold these truths to be self evident, doesn't create anything, it recognizes them to always exist... for everyone.

:bs:

lumberjim 06-30-2007 08:18 AM

moderate yourselves. restrict the argument to the thread it is contained in.

piercehawkeye45 06-30-2007 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 360183)

I don't think it was ever in the right thread. This is philosophy.

xoxoxoBruce 07-01-2007 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 360183)

Then restrict the bullshit to the thread where it lies.

Happy Monkey 07-23-2007 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 367022)
This is an attack on the very foundation of knowledge. they would rather be able to define any conclusion they present as truth. A Wolf in Science's clothing if you will. After Science has been eviscerated. They'll trade on the memory of science's reputation for articulating objective truth. But it will be all hollow inside, filled only with lies.

Flint 07-23-2007 02:28 PM

Right on. I love the Hall of Fame thread. We should publish a "coffee table" book of quotations.

Spexxvet 07-23-2007 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 367060)
Right on. I love the Hall of Fame thread. We should publish a "coffee table" book of quotations.

Put them on a shirt.

Flint 07-24-2007 04:08 PM

@Spexx: Someone has done a Zazzle shirt, of Cellar Taglines... hint hint

Now, for more BigV. Speaking on behalf of the anti-Bush "fanboys" (from Bush invalidates Fifth Ammendment by Executive Order) ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 367554)
Frankly, I see this as doing the bad guy's work for them.

What are we at war *for* anyway? I know we're *against* terrorism (don't get me started on the semantic stupidity of being at war with tactic). But, I guess, we're at war *for* the United States of America, wouldn't you agree?

For me, the USA is not merely territory; indeed, we're in no danger of losing any territory in this war. It is not just people, because the USA was here before me and all of you were around, and will be here after we're all gone, so it be can't just people. As well as I can articulate it, the USA is territory, and people and a million other things, held together by our system of government. Literally, without our government, there would be no USA. And our government, that government of the people, by the people and for the people, hangs together because of our mutual respect for our laws.

Without our laws, there would be no government, there would be no USA.

And *THAT* is why I'm incandescent with anger at the actions of the Bush administration. This particular action is a poster child for what's wrong. It tears down the very stones that make the foundation of our country. If you love the USA, you must hate actions like this. This *is* the destruction of our country.

It is far less dramatic than a plane flying into a building, but it is far more insidious. We lost lives and property on September 11, 2001. That was certainly sad and tragic; it was shocking to see foreign invaders attack us. On July 17, 2007 we lost a part of the Constitution, the definition of our country. This was a hundred times more sad and tragic, shocking and disgraceful because it was done by the very person in charge of upholding the Constitution, **SWORN** to defend it from all enemies, foreign and domestic.

I won't pretend to know what's inside Bush's head. I'll grant myself the small comfort of faith in human nature, and forgo the question of his motives. I'll believe that he believes his motivations are good. But I am dead set against his methods. I've remarked elsewhere on the Bush Administration's famous effectiveness, but preventing the bad guys from destroying America by destroying it himself is the wrong thing to do, even if he's doing it brilliantly.

Flint 07-27-2007 09:20 AM

From here.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cicero (Post 368342)
Don't try to Alpha cellarite my a**.

lumberjim 08-03-2007 08:43 PM

when a goodie goodie cusses, it's ALWAYS comedy gold.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw (Post 361015)
Well then UT, that is a complete piece of shit your have just splayed all over the Cellar. Fuck the facts as posted. I colorfully and vehemently disagree with that crap posted with the rancid integrity of a twat. Mortifying is posting such material; for reaching into a cesspool of wanker logic with pissant credibility. The post is clearly based in scum rationalization that can only be achieved using fuck faced inchoherence. Reasoning so putrid as to question why anyone would want to post that masterbation. Conclusions so groudless as to drive even drive off the homeless.

Damnation to any post that would pontificate excrement only found in swine pens. A decent person could never accept such reasoning even if using a asshole for sexual gratification.

Of course none of this reflects in any way on the character of UT - obviously. It simply addresses the merits of his post.

DanaC 08-06-2007 06:57 AM

In answer to the question Why did you come to the Cellar? This fabulous description, from JuancoRocks, which I think sums up the Cellar better than anything else I've read in a long time.

Quote:

Originally a link to Image of the day and then started reading the witty comments....Read around and found mostly civil commentary, interesting reading, on a large range of subjects.....Then found Quality images and was really impressed...Lurked a bit....Then found something that needed commentary......Joined....Then found out not all is civil.....
There are nice people, funny people, educated people, bullies and braggarts, smart and dumb, some without a clue, some just like the old dog that gets yelled at (Any attention is better than none at all) a real carnival with carnies and deep fried everything.....Just like any other community.
(Emphasis mine)

http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14880&page=5

JuancoRocks 08-13-2007 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 371806)
In answer to the question Why did you come to the Cellar? This fabulous description, from JuancoRocks, which I think sums up the Cellar better than anything else I've read in a long time.

There are nice people, funny people, educated people, bullies and braggarts, smart and dumb, some without a clue, some just like the old dog that gets yelled at (Any attention is better than none at all) a real carnival with carnies and deep fried everything.....Just like any other community.

(Emphasis mine)

http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14880&page=5

Thank you, DanaC

As a FNG here I am truly awed to be included amongst such greatness, such masters of words, such dealers of the double and triple entendre and sometimes straight up dismissiveness. They are the masters of the putdown and sometimes such uplifting affirmations that they would make Jack Handy blush.

I will only say that it was late at night and red wine was involved.
"In vino veritas"

Griff 08-13-2007 06:17 AM

More importantly, I don't really care if it is an MLM, or if you are genuinely successful at it. If so, great. My post was really just a gentle reminder that if you choose to be a dick to other people and make personal insults, you may expect people to do the same to you. - Clodfobble

This goes for everybody. It is fine to be a jerk just remember dwellers will play at any level.

DanaC 08-14-2007 06:20 AM

...and given this is a Cellar, those lower levels are pretty fucking subterranean.