The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Where'm I gonna live? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=28025)

Griff 09-16-2012 12:55 PM

Sorry dude, don't let it eat you up. You'll figure it out.

Big Sarge 09-16-2012 12:56 PM

Not joking - consider buying a used camper (they can go really cheap) and move into a state park or other campgrounds. Rates are discounted during the winter. In fact, the Army Corps of Engineers hires campground hosts. Many campgrounds have wifi.

Undertoad 09-16-2012 04:31 PM

It's not that bad yet. I just have to work at it and the time to actually call places is not nigh. I'm aiming for a Nov. 1 move-in date but it's strange -- with the short sale, I don't have to leave the house until the bank actually decides to accept it. This averages three months and so I could play chicken and wait until Dec. 1 to get out. But with limited choices overall, with a dog, with a turtle, with bad credit but a good co-signer, it gets scary.

I'm getting really good at searches though, and I've worked out a few ways to tell which Craigslist entries are scammers. (they take actual realtor listings for the pictures and addresses, and then try to get you to wire them deposit money)

What's also scary is all the shit in my crawl space which I have to throw away somehow. Wow, I probably have to contract for a dumpster to get that done. Shit.

Trilby 09-16-2012 04:35 PM

I wish I could do something tangible to help you.
I feel your anxiety Toad. Hugs.

glatt 09-16-2012 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 830541)
What's also scary is all the shit in my crawl space which I have to throw away somehow. Wow, I probably have to contract for a dumpster to get that done. Shit.

Freecycle it.

Mentally ill people will take it and hoard it. Whatever it is.

Just depends on what your time is worth, dealing with them.

Clodfobble 09-16-2012 04:54 PM

Freecycle is awesome, and sad, but awesome.

Undertoad 09-16-2012 05:24 PM

It's mostly dead weight. Huge computer monitor from 1999. My old waterbed. Paperwork from pre-2003. Water-damaged VHS tapes. Christmas decorations that two women abandoned. That sort of thing.

monster 09-16-2012 05:34 PM

people will take it

monster 09-16-2012 05:35 PM

especially if you put it on the curb with a sign that says "not free, please do not take, waiting for pick-up"

Clodfobble 09-16-2012 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad
It's mostly dead weight. Huge computer monitor from 1999. My old waterbed. Paperwork from pre-2003. Water-damaged VHS tapes. Christmas decorations that two women abandoned. That sort of thing.

People will take everything except your paperwork. Maybe even that too, but you probably don't want mentally ill people to have it. A free waterbed? You're not thinking like a hoarder; you will have a dozen people bidding over who can come pick it up the soonest.

I gave away giant piles of rotted fencing and broken rocks. One old lady talked about how she was going to "build a doghouse" out of the fencing, and another was going to "make a path" in her garden. It was fucking construction debris!

Undertoad 09-16-2012 07:18 PM

It's only the frame of the waterbed

infinite monkey 09-16-2012 07:39 PM

Right, so you just line it with heavy duty trashbags and fill it with water. The water will conform to bed shape. You'll have to sleep sitting up. And sandbags, you might want those. :lol:

Spexxvet 09-17-2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 830567)
People will take everything except your paperwork.

Just burn the paperwork.

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 830578)
Right, so you just line it with heavy duty trashbags and fill it with water. The water will conform to bed shape. You'll have to sleep sitting up. And sandbags, you might want those. :lol:

Styrofoam peanuts!

Spexxvet 09-17-2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

... But with limited choices overall, with a dog, with a turtle, with bad credit but a good co-signer, it gets scary.

I'm getting really good at searches though, and I've worked out a few ways to tell which Craigslist entries are scammers. (they take actual realtor listings for the pictures and addresses, and then try to get you to wire them deposit money)

Have you looked at trailer parks? DO you qualify for section 8 housing?

Quote:

We just moved Mom out of her house and had to do the same thing, but is was 2 households of "stuff" accumulated over 60 years. There was a house in the area that always had something on the front lawn with a handmade "for sale" sign on it. Mom knocked on their door and told them they could have anything they wanted from her house, for free, if they took it all. They took it all.

Lamplighter 09-17-2012 08:46 AM

Styrofoam peanuts + H20 + sand + sunlight ===> NEW life on earth :worm: