The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   PETA (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=19518)

Trilby 02-22-2009 08:31 AM

People are "against" PETA because PETA does zany, wild, attention-grabbing stuff. And, they say insane shit sometimes. But I do give to the ASPCA :D coz i like :apaw: critters.

Griff 02-22-2009 09:16 AM

Does the Christian Children's Fund tone of the new ASPCA commercials bother anyone?

TheMercenary 02-22-2009 09:26 AM

Maybe we should censor them!

sugarpop 02-24-2009 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pico and ME (Post 537459)
I like your thinking, Sugarpop.

Even though I support animal rights/welfare groups, I sometimes think that its pointless, especially after witnessing responses like the ones posted here. So many people love to be against PETA without considering how just its presence is an important reminder that humans need to take care with how they use and consume the other inhabitants they share this planet with. Unfortunately, I think as a species, humans act just like a virus and they will keep cosuming/destroying this world until there is nothing left.

Thanks Pico. :)

As Agent Smith said in "The Matrix," "...I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species. I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You move to an area, and you multiply, and multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet, you are a plague, and we are the cure..."

Not that I agree with that totally, but I certainly do in part.

Aliantha 02-24-2009 08:20 PM

The Matrix was a brilliant movie. There are so many quotes from it and just the whole concept of people being 'asleep' their whole lives says so much about human beings.

The person I saw for counselling last year often brought it up during discussions about people's points of view and what might be their motivations.

sugarpop 02-24-2009 09:10 PM

yepperaroo. The time is NOW. Be in the NOW. Live each moment IN the moment, as if it is your last. (Not that I always do that. It's incredibly hard to be fully awake and mindful.)

classicman 02-24-2009 09:19 PM

yeh - spend every dime you have every day. Do not care what the world will be like in the future. Be the ultimate in selfishness. WTF?

TheMercenary 02-24-2009 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarpop (Post 538494)
yepperaroo. The time is NOW. Be in the NOW. Live each moment IN the moment, as if it is your last. (Not that I always do that. It's incredibly hard to be fully awake and mindful.)

In that case I will not be spending a damm dime.

sugarpop 02-24-2009 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 538501)
yeh - spend every dime you have every day. Do not care what the world will be like in the future. Be the ultimate in selfishness. WTF?

How did you get THAT from what I said? I was talking about being completely present, vs living in the past or the future. I wasn't talking about not taking steps to insure you HAVE a future...

*heavy sigh*

Perry Winkle 02-26-2009 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarpop (Post 538559)
How did you get THAT from what I said? I was talking about being completely present, vs living in the past or the future. I wasn't talking about not taking steps to insure you HAVE a future...

*heavy sigh*

This is the internet. We read everything possible into each little statement and emphasize the ones that we like the least, no matter how imaginary.

xoxoxoBruce 02-26-2009 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry Winkle (Post 538953)
This is the internet. We read everything possible into each little statement and emphasize the ones that we like the least, no matter how imaginary.

You have to read each post for all possible meanings,...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha (Post 538462)
The person I saw for counselling last year often brought it up during discussions about people's points of view and what might be their motivations.

...and that is why.

piercehawkeye45 05-02-2009 11:19 AM

Michael Vick to become PETA spokesman.

Quote:

The ex-NFL superstar - who is serving prison time for funding an illegal dog-fighting ring - is in talks to do public service ads for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, AdAge.com reports.

The new gig is part of a comprehensive PR attempt to transform the disgraced quarterback's image -- and possibly get him re-admitted to the NFL.
http://www.wtop.com/?nid=25&sid=1666334

Hahahaha

TheMercenary 05-02-2009 11:20 AM

Do you think he will be able to do it with a straight face?

piercehawkeye45 05-02-2009 11:21 AM

Of course. It is his chance to kill even more dogs.

TGRR 05-02-2009 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 533511)
These people never cease to provide me with days of entertainment.

PETA dresses in KKK garb outside Westminster Dog Show

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/2009-...-protest_N.htm

I am convinced that PETA is a massive IRL troll.