The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Mistakes on Menu's (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=12667)

Shawnee123 07-25-2009 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveDallas (Post 583956)
Why no tequila??

I personally don't have a problem substituting cointreau <-> triplesec. Close enough for my purposes.

The traditional recipe never called for tequila. I think it just makes it taste bad and gives more alcohol punch, which for some is the whole point of the drink. I used to like the taste of them, when a visiting college friend and I went to the bar I would eventually work at and she suggested I try one.

http://coffeetea.about.com/od/icedte...longisland.htm

A White Russian is Vodka, Kahlua, and cream. A Black Russian omits the cream.

Coke? I never heard of that in a Black Russian.

Stormieweather 07-25-2009 05:11 PM

No Coke in either Russian. White Russian is a Black Russian with cream added.

Shawnee123 07-25-2009 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 584004)

A White Russian is Vodka, Kahlua, and cream. A Black Russian omits the cream.

Coke? I never heard of that in a Black Russian.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormieweather (Post 584005)
No Coke in either Russian. White Russian is a Black Russian with cream added.

So I've heard. ;)

Clodfobble 07-25-2009 07:13 PM

Ah well, I don't know who says Coke then. I've never had either drink, myself. I was basing my guess on SG's assertion that someone must have thought Coke belonged in a Black Russian.

Stormieweather 07-25-2009 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 584006)
So I've heard. ;)

Hey, I'm just a slow typist who is easily distracted. By the time I wrote and posted mine, you'd already posted, with references even.

jinx 07-25-2009 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 583946)
I've seen a limit on Zombies, also.

Victory has a limit (2) on one of their beers... either St. Boisterous or Olde Horizontal, I can't remember...

Flint 07-25-2009 11:44 PM

FYI: a White Russian with a splash of Coke is called a Colorado Bulldog.

Sundae 07-26-2009 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 584021)
I was basing my guess on SG's assertion that someone must have thought Coke belonged in a Black Russian.

Most bars here think that Coke belongs in a Black Russian. I think because it makes for a longer drink and therefore takes longer to drink, meaning a few rounds are less likely to end in puke or violence?

I've even seen Tia Maria, vodka and Coke described as a Black Russian. Sigh. :headshake

I remember taking my Mum and sister (blimey - so we did used to get on just a little bit!) to Freud's in Oxford back in the early '90s. Gorgeous place - old chapel. I bought us cocktails, and ordered a B52 for myself. The waitress said, very kindly, "This is a short cocktail you know." It was okay, I knew, but sweet of her to worry that I was envy the other two's long, fizzy, umbrella decorated drinks.

Flint 07-26-2009 06:55 PM

Oh, and I almost forgot the Scotch Aggravation, i.e. a White Russian made with Scotch.

Tulip 07-26-2009 09:33 PM

So, we've strayed from grammatical errors to drinks? Hehe...

I think from now on, I will run a grammar and spelling check on all my posts before submitting. :p Just kidding, I am too lazy for that. :D Y'all seem like a polite bunch. Y'all would sit there and be annoyed but won't poke me out, I hope. :nuts:

monster 07-27-2009 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 584083)
I've even seen Tia Maria, vodka and Coke described as a Black Russian. Sigh. :headshake.

that's what it was in the bar at Birmingham Uni. And other pubs up north. Kahuwhat? :lol:

Sundae 07-27-2009 11:08 AM

Thanks for the back-up. I was beginning to look a bit over-semsitive.

monster 07-27-2009 01:37 PM

Merkins are reeeeaaally into their cocktails. or maybe it's just a crashing towards middle-age thing. Hard to tell which is culture and which is age when you switch continents at 30, but all of a sudden whenever i go out for drinks, all the other women are drinking cocktails and parties in people's houses are all about the host's mixed drinks -margeritas, dirty martinis, bloody marys..... never has it been so hard to get a gaddamned beer! :lol: *sigh*

SteveDallas 07-27-2009 02:14 PM

As we get older, we have less time to drink (not to mention less bladder capacity) so hitting the hard liquor becomes imperative.

Flint 07-27-2009 02:45 PM

long, muddled post with no real point:

I've always wondered whether our taste in alcohol changes with age due to something physiological. There are, of course, lifestyle-based reasons as well. I have personally taken to drinking straight, hard liquor over ice, if given the preference--something I wouldn't have enjoyed even five years ago. And it would have made much more sense for me to drink that way while playing long, long sets behind a drumset.

Edit: Oh, and the other obvious thing. I can afford more expensive alcohols now, which actually taste good straight. I'm not drinking the same stuff anymore; and when I do, it still requires being mixed with something. Crown Royal Cask #16 versus the regular Crown (needs Coke!) for instance.