The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Shooting at Virginia Tech (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=13891)

freshnesschronic 04-17-2007 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayMcGee (Post 334420)
whilst I understand your angst, might I remind you that only 33 dead would be considered a good day in Bagdhad?

This isn't Baghdad. This is the first world technologically advanced industrialized United States of America, the most powerful, influential, and "greatest" nation in modern times. Again, the largest US massacre by a single gunman. There is no anarchy, no social upheaval, no war torn sectors. This is the free world. And the incident is a damn serious one.

Cloud 04-17-2007 08:01 PM

I just wonder about these shooters. I think some people are born--bad. Off. Psycopathic.

Some of the roots of such can be traced to the parents, but not all, I think. I do think we need better support for teenagers in our culture.

JayMcGee 04-17-2007 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freshnesschronic (Post 334433)
This isn't Baghdad. This is the first world technologically advanced industrialized United States of America, the most powerful, influential, and "greatest" nation in modern times. Again, the largest US massacre by a single gunman. There is no anarchy, no social upheaval, no war torn sectors. This is the free world. And the incident is a damn serious one.

Of course it is. And I'm sure the mothers in your country grieve that much harder than the mothers in Bagdhad.

Ibby 04-17-2007 08:17 PM

I think it's sick how all the newsies have flocked to VT like crows to a corpse.

TheMercenary 04-17-2007 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warch (Post 334387)
but I find a valid appeal for control. If multiple round automatic handgun clips are less available, perhaps the shooter will turn to a more time consuming, cumbersome method. And I can't help but spin an alternative to the trained packing student taking the shooter out- what about a slew of cops not knowing who the real shooter is?

That is crap. A determined individual, as this person seems to have been, will get the guns, the clips, whatever to do the job. Certainly you do not think this was not premeditative?

duck_duck 04-17-2007 08:58 PM

America not only needs to get rid of the guns but it needs to put a stop to it's culture of violence. Why is it in america violent crime is so rampant and out of control?

TheMercenary 04-17-2007 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duck_duck (Post 334464)
America not only needs to get rid of the guns but it needs to put a stop to it's culture of violence. Why is it in america violent crime is so rampant and out of control?

Cool idea. So when are you going to advocate the elimination of the Penis so we can put an end to HIV/AIDS or the removal of all cars to stop drunk drivers. No greater act for the masses eh?:rolleyes:

BrianR 04-17-2007 09:04 PM

Am I the only one who has noticed that CNN seems disappointed that there are few if any calls for more gun laws?

duck_duck 04-17-2007 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 334467)
Cool idea. So when are you going to advocate the elimination of the Penis so we can put an end to HIV/AIDS or the removal of all cars to stop drunk drivers. No greater act for the masses eh?:rolleyes:

I suppose you can do it your way which is nothing and pretend there is no problem. :rolleyes:

TheMercenary 04-17-2007 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duck_duck (Post 334471)
I suppose you can do it your way which is nothing and pretend there is no problem. :rolleyes:

I really do believe that people should be held responsible for thier actions. Yes, you are correct. Or we could just go the way of some Nazi approach and confiscate all guns, that approach would still not work.

TheMercenary 04-17-2007 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianR (Post 334469)
Am I the only one who has noticed that CNN seems disappointed that there are few if any calls for more gun laws?

Damm! the Liberal press disappointed, I think I may lose sleep! Ok, not really.:D

freshnesschronic 04-17-2007 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duck_duck (Post 334464)

Wait a minute. Get rid of guns? Culture of violence?

In my opinion, those two statements are absolutely ridiculous, no offense. If we got rid of guns, what can we resort to for defense? Martial arts, or ICBMs? And culture of violence? What culture doesn't have violence deeply rooted into it's history.

duck_duck 04-17-2007 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 334474)
I really do believe that people should be held responsible for thier actions. Yes, you are correct. Or we could just go the way of some Nazi approach and confiscate all guns, that approach would still not work.

It works in many parts of the world. I come from a place where the average person can not run down to a gun shop and buy a bunch of guns yet the crime rate is low and the people are free.

TheMercenary 04-17-2007 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freshnesschronic (Post 334476)

In my opinion, those two statements are absolutely ridiculous, no offense. If we got rid of guns, what can we resort to for defense? Martial arts, or ICBMs? And culture of violence? What culture doesn't have violence deeply rooted into it's history.

WOW. Evil America! BAD!

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com...m?id=823982006

http://news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?...5&id=740682003

http://dvc.org.uk/dunblane/ni.html

duck_duck 04-17-2007 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freshnesschronic (Post 334476)

But it's rampant in america. You can't watch the news without reports of somebody being robbed at gunpoint or shot for their car etc.