The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Doctor Who Cares? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=22503)

lumberjim 04-15-2010 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Zicato (Post 649249)
When I was a kid we always bought log cabin syrup - it's what we could afford. I remember it said on the bottle "made with 2% real maple syrup". Now it doesn't even say that.

we had this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

it was THICK

jinx 04-15-2010 11:31 PM

We always had the real stuff. When I was really little my dad and uncle made it from our trees.

glatt 04-16-2010 08:14 AM

We had Aunt Jemima growing up until my grandfather started making the real stuff. My uncle took it over from him when he died, and we got a few jars of that. Since then, we have resorted to buying the real stuff. It hurts to have to pay for real maple syrup, but I can't eat the fake stuff.

Trader Joe's often has good deals on it.

classicman 04-16-2010 11:36 AM

I took a trip to Killington Vermont with the family as a young kid.
We have never used the fake stuff since.
Trader Joes is where I get it, but I don't shop often enough to catch it on sale.

Clodfobble 04-16-2010 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum
Well, if you'll settle for "MAPLE flavoured SYRUP" it comes fairly cheap, and it's "made with 10% PURE MAPLE SYRUP and 90% sugar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Zicato
When I was a kid we always bought log cabin syrup - it's what we could afford. I remember it said on the bottle "made with 2% real maple syrup". Now it doesn't even say that.

Pete's got it right, Zen. Your options (in American grocery stores, at least) are literally 100%, or 0%. Why would they waste even 2% of real maple syrup on people who don't care enough to demand 100%?

ZenGum 04-16-2010 08:45 PM

I presume it is to fool (oops, market to) suckers who don't know better.

monster 04-16-2010 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 649359)
We had Aunt Jemima growing up until my grandfather started making the real stuff. My uncle took it over from him when he died, and we got a few jars of that. Since then, we have resorted to buying the real stuff. It hurts to have to pay .

:eek: :eyebrow:

wolf 04-17-2010 01:30 AM

I grew up in a Log Cabin household. Then I discovered the dark, gooey richness of Karo Dark. Ah, the memories, which are probably far sweeter than the syrup.

I now stick to the real deal. I have at least three different kinds between the fridge and the cabinets right now, including a lovely jar (not bottle) of Amish Made Grade B Dark, that I picked up at the Central Market in Lancaster. That is some awesome syrup. Man. Now I want to make pancakes right away.

TheMercenary 04-17-2010 10:13 AM

I watched three episodes this am. That is such a great show. I am slowly learning that to really understand all the details you would need to watch every episode from the very beginning. There always seems to be subtle references to things from episodes ago, but it doesn't detract from the overall show.

DanaC 04-17-2010 10:27 AM

Which era were you watching merc?

TheMercenary 04-17-2010 11:44 AM

Ugg... I have no idea.

The episode was where the people were trapped in the Library and inside a child who was part of a computer mainframe, she was the hard drive. And all the shadows were eating the people. I watched it to the end when they were saved, about 3 hours worth.

DanaC 04-17-2010 11:49 AM

Ahh. Ok, So the modern era then :P The 10th Doctor (David Tennant): the one who's just stepped down.

Silence in the Library is the name of the episode I think.

TheMercenary 04-17-2010 01:28 PM

yea, David Tennant. It was really great.

DanaC 04-17-2010 01:31 PM

That's one of my favourite two parters. That bit when River Song whispers to him and we find out she knows his real name. Awesome.

Nobody knows that by the way. It's never been revealed :P

I really liked the audio echo of the dead as well. Moving and very creepy.

HungLikeJesus 04-17-2010 03:24 PM

I've never seen Dr. Who. How does it compare to Spaced?