The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Avatar in IMAX (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=21652)

skysidhe 01-05-2010 08:34 PM

good point dar

richlevy 01-05-2010 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 623855)
Having worked with fonts a lot, this choice is like building an awesome 12 room mansion and then choosing that shitty 1/8" wood paneling to put up in every room. Sure, most people will not notice... I'm worried it will take me out of the movie.

It's like Die Hard 2 where every other plot detail was ludicrous if you had any flight training. Sure, most people are not pilots or prospective pilots...

I don't think you need to be a pilot to realize that the chances of a lit trail of jet fuel overtaking a jet taking off and traveling 50 feet off the ground to ignite a fuel tank is implausible.:right:

richlevy 01-05-2010 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dar512 (Post 624129)
So the advertising is affecting you. Negatively, but you're still letting it affect you.

I agree with Dar, Flint. I like taking the path less traveled too, but sometimes following the sheep does lead to greener pastures.

If it will help any, I absolutely forbid you, under any circumstances, from going to see Avatar.;)

Clodfobble 01-05-2010 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richlevy
I don't think you need to be a pilot to realize that the chances of a lit trail of jet fuel overtaking a jet taking off and traveling 50 feet off the ground to ignite a fuel tank is implausible.

But Mythbusters did that one, just in case. :)

Pie 01-06-2010 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspode (Post 624028)
I think it is hysterical that hundreds of design geeks are going to sit around and bash an element choice in a film that has already made over a billion dollars. Geez, Mr Cameron, what were you thinking?

Still, that's not the point. Every other aspect of the visual production was scrubbed and polished and gleaming and perfect. Then they throw in, oh, I dunno... Clumpy mascara on a vamped-up supermodel? Artisan salumi with wonderbread? A pine-scented air freshener hanging from the mirror of a Lamborghini?

Still tacky.

And I don't care how much goddamn money Mr. Cameron is worth. He put out a work of art to be judged by the public. I have made my judgment, and in a few small, specific areas, found his creation to be ...wanting.

Flint 01-06-2010 01:05 PM

I’m not trying to be non-conformist, I simply don’t think I can enjoy the movie when the act of watching it has been forced to be an analysis of what I am seeing on the screen versus the expectations created by an unrelenting, overly specific media campaign. The entire movie will be an out-of-the-moment experience. A meta-movie, about itself.

That, and when I actually saw a preview of the movie, it looked dumb. The recently-reformed, reluctant hero fights against impossible odds to save the idyllic utopian society from being destroyed by the military-industrial, shoot-em-up bad guys? Wow. My life won’t be complete until I see how that turns out.

Shawnee123 01-06-2010 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 624318)
I’m not trying to be non-conformist, I simply don’t think I can enjoy the movie when the act of watching it has been forced to be an analysis of what I am seeing on the screen versus the expectations created by an unrelenting, overly specific media campaign. The entire movie will be an out-of-the-moment experience. A meta-movie, about itself.

That, and when I actually saw a preview of the movie, it looked dumb. The recently-reformed, reluctant hero fights against impossible odds to save the idyllic utopian society from being destroyed by the military-industrial, shoot-em-up bad guys? Wow. My life won’t be complete until I see how that turns out. I MUST SEE IT.

OH gawd, what he said.

Someone said something about "neat effects, predictable storyline." ORLY? I never would have thunk.

Oh, and I thought Titanic was formulaic drivel, too. :bolt:

dar512 01-06-2010 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 624318)
Wow. My life won’t be complete until I see how that turns out.

And you went to Titanic to see how it would end?

As Ebert says, what makes a movie great is not what it says but how it says it.

Flint 01-06-2010 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dar512 (Post 624322)
And you went to Titanic to see how it would end?

No, I didn't see it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dar512 (Post 624322)
As Ebert says, what makes a movie great is not what it says but how it says it.

I disagree 100%. What makes a classic (a classic anything) is substance.

On further reflection, I think you are mis-applying the intent of that quote. There IS a transcendant art to any field of craft, wherein the mind of the artist is evident in the creation, and the finished work is simply a conduit for the creative will of the artist. In that regard, "how" he says something is the important part.

Shawnee123 01-06-2010 01:22 PM

Oh agreed. How does one get there? I didn't find the story behind the story in Titanic to be the block-busting romantic heartbreaking climax most others found it to be.

If the only way a story can say it is through great graphics, well, then, it's not a story to me, just eye candy for the masses.

I'm sure Avatar has its points, and I'm sure it's visually stunning. It's just not for me. But most here would hate the movies I like, so we're even.

Flint 01-06-2010 01:29 PM

I like good movies, so...

Shawnee123 01-06-2010 01:30 PM

You're not most others...;)

Cloud 01-06-2010 01:32 PM

I hate "dramas" and movies with "substance." Give me a visually entertaining, action-packed, rollicking romp any day over deep meaning and intricate storytelling.

If I wanted a "good" movie . . . I'd read a book.

Pie 01-06-2010 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloud (Post 624333)
If I wanted a good movie . . . I'd read a book.

:notworthy
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3130/...3ea75381_o.gif

Shawnee123 01-06-2010 01:36 PM

Substance doesn't preclude rollicking romp.

Oh, you mean like Fan Fiction? ;)