The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How did you find The Cellar??? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=5582)

DanaC 04-24-2004 09:42 AM

Quote:

I opened a door which I thought led to a bathroom, and fell down these fucking stairs!
K now thats funny.:D

I was sent a link to here by a gaming friend. And I had no idea til I read this thread that undertoad was to blame :P for this place.

Undertoad 04-24-2004 10:11 AM

That's how it's spose to be

wolf 04-24-2004 11:25 AM

It's more kinda like he's responsible, we are to blame ...

DanaC 04-24-2004 11:58 AM

*nods sagely* I see yes, thats an interesting distinction

onetrack 04-24-2004 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Nothing But Net

What, if I may ask, is a tractor BB? Is that a tractor beam that attracts the opposite sex, like in Star Trek? A farm implement? A Daisy BB gun?

A tractor BB is for those strange people who have an obsession with tractors .. mostly old ones .. they invite some of the freakiest people around .. :D

Here's some ...

www.acmoc.org/Index.htm Antique Caterpillar crawlers ..
www.redpowermagazine.com International Farm tractors mostly ..
www.ibdozing.com Assorted construction equipment ..
www.allischalmers.com Allis-Chalmers wheeltractors and crawlers ..
www.ytmag.com Yesterdays Tractors .. all sorts of old farm tractors ..

DiscusWare make a really good BB program that you can purchase, set up yourself, and modify to your own tastes .. it's simple to use and I like it.
Here's the DiscusWare site with links to thousands of Discus BB's.

www.discusware.com

75,000 in total, according to them .. although I suspect a lot are poorly frequented.
The main users seem to be car freaks, tractor freak, boat freaks, bike freaks, with a smattering of other hobbies thrown in. Even found a Discus wife-swapping BB .. now THAT was interesting! .. :D

Dunno what advantage there is in wife-swapping, though .. unless you swapped a so-so wife, for a good tractor .. ;)

YellowBolt 04-24-2004 09:29 PM

Someone's blog led me to an IOTD. I think it was the one with lots of storage crates in Korea.

LN 05-12-2004 10:55 AM

Uh, I did a google search for "castrated cat" or similar and came up with your image discussion of a sacrificial pig... yeah...

Hubris Boy 05-15-2004 01:13 AM

I think I stumbled over one of Tony's posts on /. and ended up here.

blue 05-15-2004 07:29 AM

Has the cellar ever been /.? This would probably kill your server, eh?

Tony, why exactly is it so expensive?

I realize what some of the costs are, but assume you have a T1 in place anyhow for business. As for bandwidth the cellar isn't all that graphical really and although it seems like there are loads of people here it's really small potatoes in terms of data flowing.

And if vBulletin wasn't free, it must have been a one time purchase long time paid for? Then you've got domain reg which shouldn't be more than $10 a year or so, no hosting fees because you have your own server. Is it a dedicated server? And if it is it wouldn't exactly have to be cutting edge.

I'm not trying to bust your chops here but am curious how something like this could cost so much? Now if you're including your TIME spent dealing with us crybabies, that's another matter.

Hubris Boy 05-15-2004 09:35 AM

I don't recall it ever being /.ed, but it's definitely been Farked.

Undertoad 05-15-2004 09:54 AM

It is a "sunk cost" of sorts a lot of the time, but it hasn't always been, and won't always be.

The very worst of it was circa 1994 when I bought it from its co-founder to keep it alive. The payments kept me in hock for a year as did the phone lines for 7 modems.

It can take a tenth of the T1 on really good days, all during the peak hours (weekday afternoons) and I am reselling that bandwidth to real, paying clients, so it doesn't have zero impact. More importantly, when there was filesystem corruption the other week it was located in Cellar files and impacted my other clients severely. It also attracts hacker/cracker attention (I was DOSsed once) and occasionally, undue traffic which impacts the whole business. So my best bet in the long run would be to isolate it from the rest of my activity, but that would co$t much more and have a huge time impact.

When there is extra money in it I send it to Google for advertising (as right now - do a search on "intelligent people" or "interesting pictures" - don't click on the ad or it will cost us $0.10) or Fark classifieds or anything else that appears to truly bring people.

As for /.ing, it has never been, but /.ing is not what it used to be since /. is not what it used to be.

As for vBulletin I bought an "owned" license in the beginning but will be "re-upping" soon and buying their "no copyright notice required" version, in order to graduate to version 3, and that will cost $150 all told. There are often these sorts of expenses and if it weren't for the charity of one particular Cellarite, whom I forget if they want to be anonymous about it, donations would cover probably half of them.

xoxoxoBruce 05-15-2004 10:02 AM

Quote:

As for bandwidth the cellar isn't all that graphical
That was pre-me and NBN.:D

jaguar 05-15-2004 10:05 AM

Roughly how much bandwidth does cellar burn through a month?

Undertoad 05-15-2004 10:10 AM

I've never done the programming/math to work that out, I just watch my MRTG graphs carefully.

jaguar 05-15-2004 10:11 AM

a day? Are we talking 1Tb? 100G 500G 10G? Ballpark?