The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Quality Images and Videos (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Nightmare Fuel (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=27698)

Happy Monkey 12-20-2016 02:13 PM

It doesn't look like tinsel to me; it looks knitted.

Gravdigr 12-20-2016 02:17 PM

Somebody doesn't know tinsel from garland.

And it doesn't look like garland, either.

It looks like a snake.

Carruthers 12-20-2016 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 976915)
It doesn't look like tinsel to me; it looks knitted.

Have a look at Google Images for Tiger Snake.
You'll find several pictures there which illustrate the skin colour and texture perfectly.
Forgive me for not posting a link, but I'm using my iPad at present which makes the finer points of posting somewhat difficult.

xoxoxoBruce 12-20-2016 05:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I believe what we've got here is failure to communicate.
Here in the colonies, we call the example on the left Tinsel, and the right Garland. At least in my portion of the colonies. ;)

Clodfobble 12-20-2016 06:58 PM

In my portion of the colonies, ain't no such thing as garland. I've heard the word before through media and pop culture references, but never seen it or heard anyone talk about it in person. (The stuff on the left is still tinsel, though.)

xoxoxoBruce 12-20-2016 07:07 PM

What do you call the stuff on the right?

BigV 12-20-2016 09:06 PM

Snake?

That ain't even a real tree!

Clodfobble 12-20-2016 10:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxBruce
What do you call the stuff on the right?

"That stuff people draw on cartoon Christmas trees." It's not a thing, I don't have a name for it. The only association I have with the word garland is a garland of flowers you put in your hair:

BigV 12-20-2016 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 976929)
I believe what we've got here is failure to communicate.
Here in the colonies, we call the example on the left Tinsel, and the right Garland. At least in my portion of the colonies. ;)

Twil concurs; I concur with Twil.

xoxoxoBruce 12-20-2016 10:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You've let a sheltered life or Texas is stranger than I thought. Why do you think the draw them on cartoon trees? They're copying real trees. Try Googleing Christmas trees or Christmas tree garland.

Clodfobble 12-20-2016 10:32 PM

Sure, I know it's a thing, just like I know snow chains are a thing. But I've never seen them in real life. To be honest I haven't seen tinsel since I was a kid. If you have a real tree it makes it non-recyclable (as in the garbage people won't take it, you have to deal with getting rid of it yourself,) and if you have a fake tree it gets all tangled when you try to put the tree away.

Happy Monkey 12-21-2016 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carruthers (Post 976928)
Have a look at Google Images for Tiger Snake.
You'll find several pictures there which illustrate the skin colour and texture perfectly.

It definitely looks most like a snake, but if I were to mistake it for something else, I'd go for brown knitted scarf over tinsel or garland.

infinite monkey 12-21-2016 11:10 AM

tinsel protip: If you take one strand of the silver tinsel, put one end on your wet tongue, tilt your head up and blow, you look like a fountain.

Carruthers 12-21-2016 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 976996)
tinsel protip: If you take one strand of the silver tinsel, put one end on your wet tongue, tilt your head up and blow, you look like a fountain.

Please don't try the same thing with a garland.
It might be a snake. ;)

Gravdigr 12-21-2016 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 976947)
Twil concurs; I concur with Twil.

Wise man.

Christmas - wise man. Get it? Did ya get it? Are ya getting it? I feel like yer not getting it.