The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Okay, this is the most recent Recipe Thread (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9265)

Gravdigr 09-29-2013 12:04 PM

It looks like meth crystals wrapped in a pool noodle.

Hello Kitty Crank?

Gravdigr 09-29-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lola Bunny (Post 793047)
Can I request a recipe or instructions on how to make something? I want to make these! :D

Here ya go, Lola.

How To Make Hello Kitty Sushi

It's the same pic, note the dish detail, the version you posted has been tweaked to make the colors pop.

There's no real instruction, you'll kinda have to infer what's going on.
On another note: The song playing in the background of that vid is driving me crazy. I'm all but positive it's a Japanese version of an English language song. AND I CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHAT SONG IT IS!!!!!!!

Gravdigr 09-29-2013 12:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'll be trying this one before long:

Crockpot Lasagna

Attachment 45517

from RecipeTips

Quote:

Ingredients

1 pound Ground Beef
Lasagna noodles
1 jar spaghetti sauce
1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
1 1/2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Directions
Brown ground beef and drain. Spoon 1 C. spaghetti sauce in bottom of 4 quart crock pot. Mix remaining sauce with beef. Place 2 uncooked lasagna noodles on sauce in crock pot. Spread 1/3 meat mixture on top of noodles. Spread 3/4 C. cottage cheese over meat. Sprinkle 1/2 C. mozzarella cheese over cottage cheese. Add another layer of uncooked noodles, 1/3 meat mixture, the remaining cottage cheese and 1/2 C. mozzarella cheese. Place another layer of uncooked noodles, meat mixture, and mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over top. Cook on low for 4 hours.

If cooked much longer, it gets a bit well done.

xoxoxoBruce 09-29-2013 07:19 PM

Here's some help for Thanksgiving.

busterb 11-23-2013 03:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sugar-free Cheesecake Melange
Crust: 2 3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/3 cup Splenda 1/4 tsp. vanilla flavoring
3/4 stick of butter, melted Cinnamon and clove to taste, optional
Combine ingredients and pat into a 9-inch springform pan.
Filling:
2 (8-oz.) pkgs. Low-fat cream cheese 1/2 cup Splenda
2 Tbsp. one-percent milk 1/4 tsp. vanilla flavoring
3 eggs
Beat together cream cheese and milk. Whip eggs, Splenda, and vanilla together; add to cream cheese mixture. Pour into crust and bake at 325 degrees for 25 minutes. Increase heat to 450 degrees for 5 minutes. Remove and let set for 20 minutes.
Topping:
2 cups low-fat sour cream
1/3 cup Splenda
1/4 tsp. vanilla flavoring
Combine ingredients and spread onto cooled cake. Bake at 400 degrees for 5 minutes. Refrigerate for 8 hours.
Fruit topping:
Strawberries, halved Black grapes, halved
Kiwi, peeled and sliced 1/2 cup sugar-free apricot preserves
Canned pineapple chunks, drained 4 Tbsp. water
Arrange fruit in a pattern on top of cheesecake. Combine preserves and water in a saucepan. Cook until preserves are melted, stirring frequently. Brush over fruit. Refrigerate until serving

Big Sarge 11-24-2013 05:48 AM

wow, that looks great

Lola Bunny 11-24-2013 10:59 PM

Anyone knows a good recipe for corn medley? :)

Clodfobble 11-28-2013 07:41 AM

I have just recently discovered celeriac, aka celery root. It has turned out to be a fantastic potato substitute for my kids. The french fries I made recently were a big hit, and today I have made mashed celeriac so they can look like they're having mashed potatoes at Thanksgiving with all their relatives. It had to be very aggressively pureed with the immersion blender instead of just lazily softened up with the hand-mixer, but ultimately I did achieve the same texture. Hooray!

glatt 11-28-2013 08:07 AM

That's cool! What is the flavor like?

BigV 11-28-2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 884549)

salt, pepper, butter, garlic, sour cream, bacon, cheddar, what-have-you...

orthodoc 11-28-2013 10:01 AM

Nice! I'll have to try that - looking for potato substitutes.

Off to make stuffing right now. Today will be a multiple-coffee day; my 6:00 am alarm went before I got to bed this morning. I feel like I'm back at college, pulling all-nighters. Yikes.

Clodfobble 11-28-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt

It's very mildly celery-ish, like if someone had boiled a bunch of celery in the same water the potatoes were boiled in. More a smell than a taste. Salt and other seasonings hide it completely for me, but I don't have a very refined palate, so maybe others will still be able to taste it.

glatt 11-28-2013 02:46 PM

I'd love to try it if someone put it in front of me.

Clodfobble 11-28-2013 09:01 PM

Update: both the kids absolutely hated the texture of the mashed celeriac. Minifobette actually gagged on it, and this is the child who will eat anything I put in front of her. One of my relatives told her, "but it's just like mashed potatoes!" and I had to tell them that I think she's never actually had mashed potatoes in her life.

Anyway, it's still great for fries. But it looks like I have a lot of mashed leftovers I'll be eating.

orthodoc 12-26-2013 01:18 PM

Chocolate peppermint cheesecake (frozen)

1 Attachment(s)
This is the recipe I promised to Ali. I thought I'd share it in general because it's super-easy and it's delicious. At least, we think so.

Frozen Chocolate Peppermint Cheesecake

Ingredients:

Chocolate cookie-crumb crust (I used to make it with Nabisco chocolate wafer cookies but can't find them anymore; now I buy two pre-made Oreo cookie crusts, take them out of their pans and crumble them up, and add a little melted butter so that they'll stick together and not crumble too much once the cake is cold.)

If you can find those dark chocolate wafer cookies, the crust recipe is:
1 1/4 cups chocolate wafer cookie crumbs (about 24 wafers, crushed)
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted

2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 8-oz package cream cheese, softened
1 cup finely crushed peppermint candy

1. Spread the chocolate cookie crumb crust in an 8 or 9" springform pan and press onto bottom and slightly up the sides of the pan.
2. Beat the softened cream cheese (leave it out on the counter for about an hour) until fluffy.
3. Slowly beat in the sweetened condensed milk.
4. Whirl the peppermint candy in a food processor or strong blender until most of it is almost powder and a few small to medium pieces remain. Set aside the larger pieces, which always migrate to the top. You don't want big chunks that will crack someone's tooth. The peppermint candy can also be crushed with a rolling pin, which is time-consuming and noisy but can be done. This year I found pre-crushed peppermint hard candy for the first time and only had to whirl it in my Vita-Mix for a few seconds to get the consistency I wanted. Heaven!
5. Stir the cup of peppermint candy into the cheese/milk mix.
6. Beat the 2 cups whipping cream until it forms stiff peaks.
7. Gently fold in the whipped cream.
8. Pour into the springform pan. Sprinkle the top with the larger bits of candy. Freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight.

Here's a photo of what it looks like when done:

Attachment 46310