The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Sept 30, 2010: Mystery Meat (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23647)

xoxoxoBruce 09-30-2010 02:43 PM

Thanks for the research, Adam. :thumb2:

Lord knows what that stuff is, but still, much of the time we don't know what we're really eating, (refer to post #25). It would probably be healthier to catch and eat fresh rats or insects. ;)

Gravdigr 09-30-2010 02:46 PM

I never thought I could be turned off by pink meat.

HungLikeJesus 09-30-2010 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casimendocina (Post 685755)
So glad I bought tofu today.

The stuff in that picture is tofu.

Undertoad 09-30-2010 03:17 PM

I told y'all it was mechanically separated chicken!

wolf 09-30-2010 04:41 PM

If there is anything that I have learned from Classic Science Fiction Films of the 1950s and 1960s, it is that there are some things man was not meant to know.

This would be one of those things.

Wombat 09-30-2010 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances of survival for life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.

spudcon 09-30-2010 10:18 PM

Einstein's dead, I'm not.

Gravdigr 10-02-2010 05:51 PM

Word.

spudcon 10-02-2010 06:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mystery meat at a WalMart in China

Sundae 10-04-2010 12:48 PM

Yay, Adam!
I was about to go and do the same research, you saved me the trip.
I was certainly going to opine that it would not make good financial sense to pulp a whole chicken like that, when the breast - to name but one part - can be sold at a much higher value on its own.

Jamie Oliver has done a lot of work here, trying to educate people into understanding what they are eating. Personally I've known since 1985, when we had a class in Food & Nutrition in what goes into various pies, pastes and sausages. It didn't put me off, but at least it meant I had a well-informed choice. My vegetarian friends used to try to "convert" me by telling me what was in my food - nothing like a 16 year old to labour a point. They soon learned that I was at least as clued up as they were and could definitely out-gross them.

xoxoxoBruce 10-04-2010 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 686393)
I was certainly going to opine that it would not make good financial sense to pulp a whole chicken like that, when the breast - to name but one part - can be sold at a much higher value on its own.

For even shopper buying chicken parts to cook at home, there's a hundred people buying chicken based stuff (for lack of a better word), usually breaded and deep fried which disguises it somewhat. It's an immense gazillion dollar market, but often cutthroat competition. If they can save a penny on the preparation/distribution of every chicken based blob they sell, they save millions of dollars, and could make or break a company. One of the biggest problems/expenses of chicken processing is the disposal of waste, so the larger percentage of the chicken that can be palmed off as edible, the higher the profit. As disgusting as the thought of eating some of the bits may be, it won't hurt you and it has nutritional value.

xoxoxoBruce 10-06-2010 10:39 AM

casimendocina 10-06-2010 06:35 PM

Thanks Bruce. That was cool

Now (with a good blender) we can make our own meat patties at home from scratch.

Happy Monkey 10-06-2010 07:03 PM

It was an odd "experiment". He kept talking up the grossness, but the only problem with the meat he used was that it is hard to get off the bone using just a knife. It was all from one chicken, the guts and head were removed, and the additives weren't particularly alarming. I certainly wouldn't have any problem eating one of those nuggets. It seems he was relying solely on the idea that meat ground finer than one usually sees (ie hamburger) looks wierd. Plus repeatedly saying how gross it was.

xoxoxoBruce 10-06-2010 08:48 PM

You have to remember he's a chef. They feel white wine with red meat is gross. :lol: